Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Heath posted:

As annoying as Peterson and his fans are, the sheer unvarnished glee in the reactions to him suffering horribly is real hosed up. Like it's hard to point to anything Peterson has actually done that justifies people being so weirdly happy that a man is slowly and painfully dying because he has dumb opinions

Peterson's a useful idiot for worse people and ideas. He met and talked with Victor Orbán, and I'm sure if pressed he wouldn't defend any of Orbán's worst policies, but that's the problem with Peterson in general, he will constantly engage in motte and bailey style arguments about pretty much anything. He'll air ideas about making lists about cultural Marxists in universities, then back away from the idea of creating a proscription list. He'll advance all sorts of sexist poo poo about women then back off when challenged. He'll advance weird ideas about Jews and IQ nominally in opposition to antisemitism, but just ends up reinforcing it. He'll promote a completely incoherent reading of a law that adds gender identity or expression to a list of protected identities in federal workplaces in Canada to the point where any discussion of the law is so poisoned no one knows what the law did.

The guy makes wild claims about his expertise, vastly overestimates his knowledge in subjects outside of psychology, and basically makes no effort to read anything he criticizes. The impact he had directly is about the same as any other intellectual who has a few years of fame -- not a lot outside the media class and academia that could use him to generate content. But his ideas channeled the anger of a bunch of young people who live in an alienating world towards a marginalized group for no good reason. That's enough that I can see why people would be happy that a guy, who fully admitted he monetized anti-social justice sentiment to enrich himself, is suffering.

He wanders the wasteland of internet discourse, showing up in arguments, takes a giant dump, shrugs and wanders off leaving people to argue about whether or not his poo poo smells good.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heath posted:

As annoying as Peterson and his fans are, the sheer unvarnished glee in the reactions to him suffering horribly is real hosed up. Like it's hard to point to anything Peterson has actually done that justifies people being so weirdly happy that a man is slowly and painfully dying because he has dumb opinions

He mainstreamed nazis and nazi talking points. He legitimated insurgent fascism and gave it cover. Who cares if he's a useful idiot or not? (he's not)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

Also because he's intellectually a fraud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvS2Re21Og

It's loving incredible he never thought of the most obvious response to his position.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
His poo poo smells like benzos and steak farts.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CharlestheHammer posted:

lol an unironic, but he was just a guy post

He is a suffering human being. Benzo addiction and withdrawal is a terrifying experience, and I've seen enough bodies get wheeled into the morgue to know that covid is also horrifying, and being carted around by his psychopath daughter to all these shady clinics for treatment is the kind of literal Hell such that even thinking about it is giving me anxiety. I don't like him or his opinions, I don't consume any of his work, but I do at least have some degree of empathy for him, because holy gently caress I cannot even process that degree of suffering. He probably can't even talk and has no idea where he is and hasn't for... What, a year or more? How long has this been going on?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heath posted:

Defended his university colleagues performing conversion therapy on me to support their terrible theories at the cost of my physical and mental health

Grandstanded about how my human rights being protected across Canada would be an injustice to him because he would have to show me basic human respect

Dude can rot in loving hell. Specifically in a child’s bedroom which he can escape from if he cleans it all up - except he never ever can put everything away in its own right place.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Heath posted:

He is a suffering human being. Benzo addiction and withdrawal is a terrifying experience, and I've seen enough bodies get wheeled into the morgue to know that covid is also horrifying, and being carted around by his psychopath daughter to all these shady clinics for treatment is the kind of literal Hell such that even thinking about it is giving me anxiety. I don't like him or his opinions, I don't consume any of his work, but I do at least have some degree of empathy for him, because holy gently caress I cannot even process that degree of suffering. He probably can't even talk and has no idea where he is and hasn't for... What, a year or more? How long has this been going on?

a man falls through the earth and into c-spam. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of laughing skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "He is a suffering human being!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grape posted:

a man falls through the earth and into c-spam. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of laughing skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "He is a suffering human being!"

lmao

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heath posted:

Is this a bit? He can talk and is aware of what is happening to him. The stuff about him being severely disabled was just speculation. He did a stream for his horrible fans a week or so ago and was as coherent as he usually is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also he's the idiot that chose to go into a medically induced coma to cure his benzo addiction which could've rendered him a vegetable. Nobody made him do that.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is this a bit? He can talk and is aware of what is happening to him. The stuff about him being severely disabled was just speculation. He did a stream for his horrible fans a week or so ago and was as coherent as he usually is.

I don't otherwise pay attention to him, so I haven't seen that. Everything I read about him comes from whatever threads I read where he comes up, and it's hard to distinguish ironic goon bloodlust from unironic, so when I saw at least 3 separate threads all cheering his death it made me think he was effectively down.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Heath posted:

I feel good when bad things happen to bad people

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

smug jeebus posted:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Grape posted:

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

FilthyImp posted:

Also because he's intellectually a fraud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvS2Re21Og

Dreylad posted:

... but that's the problem with Peterson in general, he will constantly engage in motte and bailey style arguments about pretty much anything. He'll air ideas about making lists about cultural Marxists in universities, then back away from the idea of creating a proscription list. He'll advance all sorts of sexist poo poo about women then back off when challenged. He'll advance weird ideas about Jews and IQ nominally in opposition to antisemitism, but just ends up reinforcing it.

The true strength of Jorpy Pee is that although this video happened, you know that he would go right out the next day and make this very same argument again, at insufferable length, in a lecture hall with hundreds hanging on his words. As if this encounter had never happened. Because the only thing he learnt there was that it was now time to retreat in this conversation.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

there is a good case to be made that jorp has done more material harm to the acceptance of trans people than anyone else in the u.s./canada. his pathetic crusade against c-16 made plenty of people who may not have been as actively opposed to trans people become more resentful of them. he became a loving millionaire based off a complete and utter and pernicious lie. he supports literal fascists like trump, orban and milo.

i dunno if i'd go so far as to wish death upon him, but i'm sure as hell not losing any sleep over it.

in other words:

smug jeebus posted:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He also lectures on Hitler and the Nazis and clearly hasn't done the reading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8AcmzqFdPM

poo poo he got famous lying about a Canadian law.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

so is the kid or the duck the antisemite right there?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

so is the kid or the duck the antisemite right there?

The duck's just concerned about the malign influence of Big Children With Leukaemia.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

an underrated chapter in the Peterson story imo is when he went on world tour with Dave Rubin. he had to do Q&A panels with him afterward and he'd visibly wince almost every time Rubin opened his dumb mouth, you could tell he was fuckin miserable to have to share a stage with that dullard lmao

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

ChristsDickWorship posted:

how the gently caress is there a "benzodiazepine information coalition" that tells people months of physical withdrawal from rx meds is not addiction

the exact same reason white ppl on food stamps and farmers getting massive subsidies tell people they are against government welfare programs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Juul-Whip posted:

an underrated chapter in the Peterson story imo is when he went on world tour with Dave Rubin. he had to do Q&A panels with him afterward and he'd visibly wince almost every time Rubin opened his dumb mouth, you could tell he was fuckin miserable to have to share a stage with that dullard lmao

I've said it before and I'll say it again but the funniest thing Rogan's ever said is when he asked if it was abelist to mock Rubin's intellect (in reference to Sam Seder doing so).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/1291428871120678913

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mr Interweb posted:

there is a good case to be made that jorp has done more material harm to the acceptance of trans people than anyone else in the u.s./canada. his pathetic crusade against c-16 made plenty of people who may not have been as actively opposed to trans people become more resentful of them. he became a loving millionaire based off a complete and utter and pernicious lie. he supports literal fascists like trump, orban and milo.

i dunno if i'd go so far as to wish death upon him, but i'm sure as hell not losing any sleep over it.

in other words:

Nothing I said was to defend Peterson, so I want to be clear about that. Truthfully I just get very weary of the constant bloodlust lately, it sucks to read and is emotionally draining and puts me in a bad headspace, completely irrespective of who the target is. My office is right across the hall from the morgue in what was one of the most heavily infected counties in my state and even at my tiny facility there was a month long period in April or so where they were in hazmat suits wheeling 2-4 bodies in there almost every night and seeing that hosed me up pretty bad. So when I flip through like four different threads where people are talking about it and there are pages upon pages of people cheering that Peterson is dying of covid and all I can picture is him choking to death in a bed it's emotionally exhausting. I don't see how anyone can be happy about anybody having this thing, even ironically.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heath posted:

Nothing I said was to defend Peterson, so I want to be clear about that. Truthfully I just get very weary of the constant bloodlust lately, it sucks to read and is emotionally draining and puts me in a bad headspace, completely irrespective of who the target is. My office is right across the hall from the morgue in what was one of the most heavily infected counties in my state and even at my tiny facility there was a month long period in April or so where they were in hazmat suits wheeling 2-4 bodies in there almost every night and seeing that hosed me up pretty bad. So when I flip through like four different threads where people are talking about it and there are pages upon pages of people cheering that Peterson is dying of covid and all I can picture is him choking to death in a bed it's emotionally exhausting. I don't see how anyone can be happy about anybody having this thing, even ironically.

because Peterson wanted that and worse to happen to me and people like me. full stop.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also people like Peterson deserve to be punished and rarely are.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Arivia posted:

because Peterson wanted that and worse to happen to me and people like me. full stop.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

didn't jorp's daughter try to downplay corona as not really a serious problem a few months ago too? :lol:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/adamsteinbaugh/status/1291446609130250240

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

didn't jorp's daughter try to downplay corona as not really a serious problem a few months ago too? :lol:

Considering she was or is dating a guy who's most famous for being mocked on twitter I wouldn't be surprised.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Heath posted:

peterson would be elated for that to happen to other people

maybe this forum isn't for you

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

she's an "open 'er up!" person. :hmbol:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1250828040738914305?s=20

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

there we go. i knew it was something pretty lovely :lol:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Peterson actively works to make other human beings lives worse. I shall laugh at every misfortune that visits him.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Heath posted:

He is suffering

Good.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"cultural marxism" means Jews. gently caress jordan peterson

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ague Proof posted:

"cultural marxism" means Jews. gently caress jordan peterson

Yeah it's wild how many of these reactionary internet "intellectuals" use Cultural Marxism like it isn't a straight up Nazi concept.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The one bright spot is Covid will finish off Jordan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Before you embark on a journey to open 'er up, dig two (extra) graves.

Is she dating the dark triad person with the really bad speech impediment?