Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mayveena posted:

Capitalism Labs

Agreed, it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

concise posted:

I really enjoyed Aerobiz for Genesis way back in the day, and suddenly have the itch to play some sort of relatively deep and more modern (newer, not necessarily setting) corporation simulator game.

Does this exist?

Mayveena posted:

Capitalism Labs

Angry Lobster posted:

Agreed, it's amazing.

This was a perfect suggestion. Capitalism Labs is a broadly scoped and incredibly deep business simulator. It is very challenging and the AI can be quite aggressive.

concise fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 2, 2020

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What're some good games like Sid Meyers Pirates? I've been playing it, but I kind of snowballed and murdered everyone using a small quick ship so I'm looking for something else

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rebel Galaxy has similar ship combat, but if you also want the shipboard duels and treasure hunts and dancing with governors' daughters you might be out of luck. I can't think of anything that's quite like Pirates.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The Mount & Blade games have a similar core game play loop of wandering the world and increasing your power while building relationships. It's nothing like Pirates wrt actual mechanics though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hwurmp posted:

Rebel Galaxy has similar ship combat, but if you also want the shipboard duels and treasure hunts and dancing with governors' daughters you might be out of luck. I can't think of anything that's quite like Pirates.

Rebel Galaxy also has an incredibly twangy-twang-twang-twaaaaang soundtrack that lets you live out your dream of being a space white guy.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shine posted:

Rebel Galaxy also has an incredibly twangy-twang-twang-twaaaaang soundtrack that lets you live out your dream of being a space white guy.

Interestingly enough, the game let's you drop mp3 files into folders in the game directory to change the soundtrack to whatever you want. The files are even named stuff like "battle music", "shop music", etc, and you can put multiple in a folder to create a shuffle playlist.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

What're some good games like Sid Meyers Pirates? I've been playing it, but I kind of snowballed and murdered everyone using a small quick ship so I'm looking for something else

I've been on a quest for like a decade looking for something to fill that itch and there really isn't anything quite like it. At best you can find something that does an aspect of what Pirates! did but nothing that has the whole package. Assassin's Creed 4 is maybe the closest to capturing the feeling I'm looking for w/r/t sailing around capturing ships, but it can get really repetitive and doesn't have the same sandbox vibe that Pirates! does. The recommendations upthread are all pretty solid games in their own right, and I've heard Uncharted Waters is decent as well. Also, if you haven't tried it, the original Pirates! Gold is really good and still holds up, and in some ways I think is better than the early 2000's remake.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay! I'm in need of some fun co-op shooter stuff. NOT multiplayer online (no pubg) but I want to do some fun shootering together with power crystals and we finished the Forest. Basically fun "solve this game / see the plot / kill things" fun. I tried to do Transformers: War For Cybertron but the servers are dead for co-op :(

So, uh - help?

(ps if you're going to spot the Forest and rec me more like that I'm down for more co-op survival stuff, but I'd like to go shooting first)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay! I'm in need of some fun co-op shooter stuff. NOT multiplayer online (no pubg) but I want to do some fun shootering together with power crystals and we finished the Forest. Basically fun "solve this game / see the plot / kill things" fun. I tried to do Transformers: War For Cybertron but the servers are dead for co-op :(

So, uh - help?

(ps if you're going to spot the Forest and rec me more like that I'm down for more co-op survival stuff, but I'd like to go shooting first)
It's time once more to shill for Earth Defense Force 5. Which is also a co-op flying laser chainsaw, airstrike ordering, and song spamming game.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

StrixNebulosa posted:

So, uh - help?

Any of the Borderlands games? I'd recommend 2 or Presequel. Earth Defense Force is good too.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The most recent Wolfenstein game, New Blood I believe, is coop.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Section Z posted:

It's time once more to shill for Earth Defense Force 5. Which is also a co-op flying laser chainsaw, airstrike ordering, and song spamming game.

That's already on the list and you have good taste.

Knightmare posted:

Any of the Borderlands games? I'd recommend 2 or Presequel. Earth Defense Force is good too.

Ah, I'd forgotten about these! Thanks!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The most recent Wolfenstein game, New Blood I believe, is coop.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Prepare to be disappointed by New Blood. It is very, very bad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Prepare to be disappointed by New Blood. It is very, very bad.

Can you elaborate?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Would Deep Rock Galactic work? It seems to be pretty popular and the Steam reviews are very high.

(I haven't played it myself because I have no friends who are into that sort of game)

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
You mean Youngblood? Personally I thought it was alright, but most opinions either fall between mine and Hoyden’s.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Youngblood has the same problem as the newer Assassins Creed games, where damage is determined by gear and HP bars can be ludicrous if there's a level disparity. It's a big disappointment. I didn't like that introduction of stats to AC, but it's far, far, far, far worse in Youngblood. The environments are also extremely repetitive.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Magitek posted:

You mean Youngblood? Personally I thought it was alright, but most opinions either fall between mine and Hoyden’s.

Yeah that's the one my mistake.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Brownie posted:

Would Deep Rock Galactic work? It seems to be pretty popular and the Steam reviews are very high.

(I haven't played it myself because I have no friends who are into that sort of game)

Deep Rock is very good Co-op but it's more like teamwork collection than shooter. There's shooting in it, but the focus is nagging your friends to use their tools so that you can use your tools to get to otherwise unreachable goodies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tagra posted:

Deep Rock is very good Co-op but it's more like teamwork collection than shooter. There's shooting in it, but the focus is nagging your friends to use their tools so that you can use your tools to get to otherwise unreachable goodies.

Combat becomes, uh, significantly more frequent and prominent once you reach higher difficulties. I wouldn't hesitate to call it a horde shooter.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Interestingly enough, the game let's you drop mp3 files into folders in the game directory to change the soundtrack to whatever you want. The files are even named stuff like "battle music", "shop music", etc, and you can put multiple in a folder to create a shuffle playlist.

I gotta remember to drop in the repair bay music from The Surge then.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Combat becomes, uh, significantly more frequent and prominent once you reach higher difficulties. I wouldn't hesitate to call it a horde shooter.

playing deep rock galactic drunk with friends. everyone screaming like idiots because we're low on health, close to getting mule to the ship, and here comes another swarm.

good times

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

How is Deep Rock Galactic if you just want to do it with two people? I haven't built up to playing with more than one person yet outside of Stardew Valley.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

How is Deep Rock Galactic if you just want to do it with two people? I haven't built up to playing with more than one person yet outside of Stardew Valley.

It's definitely at its best with a full crew but the biggest difference is solo vs. any amount of additional players.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

I gotta remember to drop in the repair bay music from The Surge then.

I used EVE online music for everything and it felt like a completely different game

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I picked up the first two Zero Escape games on a whim and, while I've only played the first one so far, I've been surprised by how much I enjoyed it. (tbh, I could do without it having quite such a creepy attitude towards sex and purity and so forth, but it's still very good.) It makes me wonder if there's a whole raft of similar multiple-path puzzle games out there I should be checking out. Any recommendations? I've already played Until Dawn, which is also dope as hell. Are there any others I should look at?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Flopstick posted:

I picked up the first two Zero Escape games on a whim and, while I've only played the first one so far, I've been surprised by how much I enjoyed it. (tbh, I could do without it having quite such a creepy attitude towards sex and purity and so forth, but it's still very good.) It makes me wonder if there's a whole raft of similar multiple-path puzzle games out there I should be checking out. Any recommendations? I've already played Until Dawn, which is also dope as hell. Are there any others I should look at?

if you liked the zero escape series this game is actually very good for a free game

https://vgperson.com/games/yourturntodie.htm

be warned it's not finished it's a one man project and he makes like a few hours worth a year but I actually do recommend it

the story branches twice so I guess there are at least four paths, at the start of the later chapters you get an NPC that asks a witcher-esque "so I can't remember, who died again????"

kinda thing so you can play the other path without doing the whole thing later if you want

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 4, 2020

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Stefan Prodan posted:

if you liked the zero escape series this game is actually very good for a free game

https://vgperson.com/games/yourturntodie.htm

be warned it's not finished it's a one man project and he makes like a few hours worth a year but I actually do recommend it

I'll queue it up - thanks!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
OK, I need some mix of action-RPG-open world thing to tide me over until Cypberpunk 2077, and sadly it looks like the Horizon Zero Dawn PC port is a piece of poo poo right now.

Games I liked, but I have just played to death:

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl & Stalker: Call of Pripyat
Fallout New Vegas
Fallout 4 (because I like building trash towns, apparently :v:)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution & Mankind Divided
Witcher 3
Saint's Row the Third
Nier: Automata

Games that didn't really work for me:

Far Cry 4
GTA V
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Metro: Exodus
Prey - This should have totally worked for me... but I always quit playing like 3/4 of the way through? :iiam:

Any obvious games in that ballpark I've missed? Watch Dogs 2 maybe?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

sean10mm posted:

OK, I need some mix of action-RPG-open world thing to tide me over until Cypberpunk 2077, and sadly it looks like the Horizon Zero Dawn PC port is a piece of poo poo right now.

Prey - This should have totally worked for me... but I always quit playing like 3/4 of the way through? :iiam:

I'm the same way with Prey.
I've installed it on multiple occasions but just trail off to something else.

Take a look at 7 Days to Die.
It is in early access and can be buggy here and there.
It has no story line, so is pretty much just an open ended exploration RPG.
But you can get missions from the trader which do get harder later, quite harder.
It does translate XP to perk points which has recently been revamped and is done quite well.
Of my 500+ hours I probably spent a good 350-400 of that solo, but its multi is fun and there is a goon run server in the thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597545
https://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/7_Days_to_Die/

Watch some Neebs Gaming guys playing it, i'll link to a video in the modern patch, but its all good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mse_PYYvPoI&list=PLfB0pAKRdJsrVYFl48cLgRi2DOPqk1gmJ&index=98&t=0s

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Any obvious games in that ballpark I've missed? Watch Dogs 2 maybe?

Sleeping Dogs
Shadow of Mordor
AC: O
Maybe MGS V, but it's got offbeat gameplay and some severe tonal issues
If you really liked Fallout 4, maybe you'll like the other Bethesda games like Skyrim or y'know, Fallout 3.
Dragon Age?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Borderlands 3 is free for the next 5 days. Not quite what you were looking for probably, but hey, free.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
These are all fine recommendations, but have you accepted Yakuza 0 into your heart?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

sean10mm posted:

:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution & Mankind Divided

If you like the Deus Ex games then I think you'd probably like the Dishonored games.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

thekeeshman posted:

If you like the Deus Ex games then I think you'd probably like the Dishonored games.

I loved Deus Ex in every iteration and cannot stand the Dishonored games, for what that's worth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I love Dishonored and the only Deus Ex game I can even sort of tolerate is the very first one.

Dishonored does away with almost all of the resource-scavenging and ammo types and crafting materials; you've just got charms, and runes, that's it. (Plus you get a tool that tells you where to look for them.)

In the second game's case you can even carry them over to NG+ and have a stealth game largely free of tedious scavenger hunting.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deus Ex is good and Dishonored is also good, but the similarities are slightly exaggerated. Namaste

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
For me they both scratch the stealth game itch. They both have weapons and gadgets and powers. They both let me spend way too much time and effort trying to do no-kill ghost playthroughs, then come back and do a cathartic blow poo poo up playthrough.
Obviously the stories and settings are very different but I think they're both well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Actually I've played the crap out of Dishonored too. :v: