Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

One point I would add to the conversation is that from a purely political view Mexican-Americans/Cuban Americans/Puerto-Ricans/etc all have pretty substantial cultural differences that insulate the communities from each other. What may be a political “in” with Florida Cubans will absolutely not work on West Coast Mexican-Americans.

What complicated it further is that most Hispanic cultures ARE socially/religiously conservative, but have been pushed to the left politically by stupid GOP policy making for decades. A Dem candidate that ignores the specific wants and needs of different Hispanic voting blocs can easily lose them.

Note: I’m not gonna weigh in on the state of African American voters. I’m nowhere near qualified to provide input there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

joepinetree posted:

What the gently caress does this mean? How the gently caress does using exit polls from 2016 (when Hispanic turn out was less than 50%) tell you anything about "political homogeneity?"

there are only two types of Politics: blue team and red team, and the closer you are to 50% of each the more political diversity you have. Hispanics (which is the polite way to say "Mexicans") have more blue team Politics than red team Politics, and are therefore less diverse.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
To be fair, unlearning internalized heuristics is a really taxing process that takes a lot of effort and probably a lot of time. We're pretty predisposed to see things as innately right and wrong at all times, and that translates really well to red and blue for most people. It's in basically everything we see and hear all the time, where people look at being "fair and balanced" as being synonymous with seeing "both sides of the issue" -- which is insane, because there aren't two sides to issues, there are as many sides as there are perspectives, but that shortcut is deeply entrenched into our political psyche.

So from an outcome-based perspective, political thinkers are primed to thinking of demographic trends as a means of seeing uniformed opinions within populations, even though that's most likely not what's really going on. "The black folks go blue, so they think blue is right," that kind of thing.

That's what people hear from most of our media sources at least, so that influences what they repeat and the basis for where a lot of what they say comes from. At least, that's what I've been able to draw from it.

e: vvvv

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

How people vote is the obvious definition from context. I mean, c'mon.

This is honestly pretty limited in usefulness if you don't take into account that the majority of any group simply doesn't vote at all. The numbers you're looking at are self-reported polls of people who actually showed up, so it's kinda not that useful for what you seem to want to use it for. That 60% of "Hispanic" voters voted for something isn't really an indication of what the populace thinks when that number represents like 40% of all people who could fall into that category, no?

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 6, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Famethrowa posted:

A significant connective tissue in that voting bloc is personally felt racism stemming from the racism white voting bloc. Ironically, the thing uniting disparate Spanish speaking communities is that they are generalized against. If that racial antagonism was erased, I guarantee that you would see a shift to reflect their identities values more. In fact, I wager their shared catholicism is much more of a factor then speaking Spanish.

Related, have you heard how much poo poo Spanish speakers from different countries talk about each other? The racism directed at Mexican people by a lot of Cubans is unreal.

That, coincidentally, is also the connective tissue for the African diaspora + recent African immigrant community. Those two groups have a lot of tension between them, but anti- black racism certainly unites them.

It is not racist to analyze the world with the axiom that racism exists. 'Hispanics/Latinos have a lot to divide them, but their politics are more congruent because of racism' results in Hispanic being a useful lens through which to analyze politics. It has its limits, which is looping back around to the point Joe Biden was making.

joepinetree posted:

It's a non sequitur and unrelated to the question. Sometimes it's ok to say that Biden said a dumb thing, people don't need to defend every stupid thing Biden says.
It's also okay to admit that words aren't poisoned by coming out of Joe Biden's mouth!

quote:

What the gently caress does this mean? How the gently caress does using exit polls from 2016 (when Hispanic turn out was less than 50%) tell you anything about "political homogeneity?"

I was originally using 2014 but i grabbed slightly more recent data. It really doesn't matter, the point remains the same regardless of year.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yo, who is calling their food Hispanic? Dominican, Colombian, Mexican, and Cuban food are all pretty different. Is this a Mid-West thing?
Noone makes Hispanic food. But all the ingredients are in the same section of the store cuz of commonalities of interest, origin, and the specific spices etc. used.

Same thing for Asian. Noone makes 'Asian food'. But all the Thai, Japanese, Chinese, etc. stuff I might want to pick up is all in the same section, or in the same specialty store. It's a useful meta-category.

Sorry for not responding to everyone or in detail but only so much time in the day.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I wonder if Biden has data on the views of various cohorts on LGBT rights, on the rights of Palestinians, whether to switch to single payer.

Nah, its probably just how much each cohort votes for each team.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 6, 2020

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It is not racist to analyze the world with the axiom that racism exists. 'Hispanics/Latinos have a lot to divide them, but their politics are more congruent because of racism' results in Hispanic being a useful lens through which to analyze politics. It has its limits, which is looping back around to the point Joe Biden was making.

It's also okay to admit that words aren't poisoned by coming out of Joe Biden's mouth!

I was originally using 2014 but i grabbed slightly more recent data. It really doesn't matter, the point remains the same regardless of year.

Noone makes Hispanic food. But all the ingredients are in the same section of the store cuz of commonalities of interest, origin, and the specific spices etc. used.

Same thing for Asian. Noone makes 'Asian food'. But all the Thai, Japanese, Chinese, etc. stuff I might want to pick up is all in the same section, or in the same specialty store. It's a useful meta-category.

Sorry for not responding to everyone or in detail but only so much time in the day.

This is all so incredibly stupid.

The question wasn't about voting, it was about extending TPS to Venezuela. In his answer, it becomes obvious that he doesn't know what TPS is. His answer is completely unrelated to TPS for Cuba or reengaging with Cuba diplomatically.
As such, "How people vote is the obvious definition from context" is utter nonsense (and even if it were you're still ignoring turn out). It is incredible how you just make stuff up (e.g., Carter and lefty kookiness) and then just move on when proven to be wrong again and again.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

joepinetree posted:

The question wasn't about voting, it was about extending TPS to Venezuela. In his answer, it becomes obvious that he doesn't know what TPS is. His answer is completely unrelated to TPS for Cuba or reengaging with Cuba diplomatically.
As such, "How people vote is the obvious definition from context" is utter nonsense (and even if it were you're still ignoring turn out). It is incredible how you just make stuff up (e.g., Carter and lefty kookiness) and then just move on when proven to be wrong again and again.

Actually from looking at it again, I'm guessing he thought the interviewer was admonishing him for treating different nationalities differently, and countered by trying to shame the interviewer for thinking that latinxs are a monolith who all need want the same human rights policies.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

joepinetree posted:

It was the context of the thread conversation. We were talking about the greater implications of Biden referring the diverse political opinions of hispanics, especially as compared to blacks.

It is definitely weird how threads move on while i'm not reading them! I find it inconvenient personally. But to respond, since you feel so strongly about this, Carter's left-wing kookiness was a narrative at the time (late 80s), as was the complete failure of his administration. Narratives like this were a big reason that Reagan immediately stripped solar panels from the White House. Carter suffered in this regard in part was because he was the victim of the embryonic right wing media - but he was also a victim of the Moral Majority movement, which sought to purge and render illegitimate any competing authority for Evangelical voters. In particular, refusing to embrace the pro-life platform literally resulted in his being labeled "a traitor to the South" and "not a Christian". None of this had any direct relationship to the actual truth of where Carter fell on the political spectrum or how he governed, identically to how Republicans reflexively call anyone left of Nixon a communist.

Only the distance of time has even somewhat rehabilitated the Carter Administration. Historians have a much better opinion of him than was the contemporary conventional wisdom, though he's still viewed as somewhat ineffective.

E: In any case, if you're gonna rag on people about Bad Posting, I'd appreciate it if you didn't dramatically gnash your teeth at a parenthetical aside while ignoring the main point of a post.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 6, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Reading that transcript, at first I thought he was dissembling to avoid giving a clear answer on extending the status to Cuban immigrants, but then he gives a clear yes on the follow-up, so now I don't understand what all the rambling was supposed to accomplish or communicate.

Joe of five years ago would have opened with a clear "Yes, and here's why..." and then pivoted into attacking Trump for lacking compassion for people fleeing despotic regimes, etc. Instead we get this confusing, rambly mess. He's slipped a lot.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It was the context of the thread conversation. We were talking about the greater implications of Biden referring the diverse political opinions of hispanics, especially as compared to blacks.

It is definitely weird how threads move on while i'm not reading them! I find it inconvenient personally. But to respond, since you feel so strongly about this, Carter's left-wing kookiness was a narrative at the time (late 80s), as was the complete failure of his administration. Narratives like this were a big reason that Reagan immediately stripped solar panels from the White House. Carter suffered in this regard in part was because he was the victim of the embryonic right wing media - he was also a victim of the Moral Majority movement, which sought to purge and render illegitimate any competing authority for Evangelical voters. In particular, refusing to embrace the pro-life platform literally resulted in his being labeled "a traitor to the South" and "not a Christian". None of this had any direct relationship to the actual truth of where Carter fell on the political spectrum or how he governed.

Only the distance of time has even somewhat rehabilitated the Carter Administration. Historians have a much better opinion of him than was the contemporary conventional wisdom, though he's still viewed as somewhat ineffective.

Carter's "lefty kookiness" was never a narrative. It became a narrative when democrats had to defend moving right. Carter lost because the economy sucked because he put Volcker in charge. Reagan's closing statement on the last debate was

quote:

"Are you better off now than you were four years ago? Is it easier for you to go and buy things in the stores than it was four years ago? Is there more or less unemployment in the country than there was four years ago? Is America as respected throughout the world as it was? Do you feel that our security is as safe, that we're as strong as we were four years ago? And if you answer all of those questions 'yes', why then, I think your choice is very obvious as to whom you will vote for. If you don't agree, if you don't think that this course that we've been on for the last four years is what you would like to see us follow for the next four, then I could suggest another choice that you have."

You're making poo poo up after the fact.

Just like with this whole "Hispanics are more politically homogeneous than whites" nonsense. I mean, the thread is right here, so I am not going to go over the argument again.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Goddamned gently caress Ronald Reagan that's masterful.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

“listen hombre, there’s at least two kinds of mexicans: the cowboy hat wearers and the ones that drive in low riders with scary evil clowns panted on them.”

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Joe Biden's handlers finally realized that Onion Joe Biden is the most popular version of him and decided to lean in

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1291111736167211008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it's actually a pretty good ad imo

especially with the electric vehicle thing

lol turns out it's just a lyin' biden moment

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Goddamned gently caress Ronald Reagan that's masterful.

Meanwhile, here's a choice section of the Carter closing statement:

quote:

As I've studied the record between myself and Governor Reagan, I've been impressed with the stark differences that exist between us. I think the result of this debate indicates that that fact is true. I consider myself in the mainstream of my party. I consider myself in the mainstream even of the bipartisan list of Presidents who served before me. The United States must be a nation strong; the United States must be a nation secure. We must have a society that's just and fair. And we must extend the benefits of our own commitment to peace, to create a peaceful world.

So he clearly ran as the center of the center.

The point is not to derail this thread, but to debunk the argument frequently made in this thread that the democrats moved right out of necessity. Earlier in this very thread we even had someone describing Dukakis as the "left wing of the party" when he beat Jesse Jackson in 1988. There's this entire narrative that "hey, I want to move left, but democrats lost when they moved left, so me must move right" that gets repeated every couple of months to defend Biden moving right that is clearly ahistorical and nonsensical.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the entire narrative of centrist electability is incredibly bizarre - neil kinnock lost three elections moving to the right to accommodate a reactionary public, blair won because he had an at the time credible vision of the future, made an alliance with the tabloids and because the major government had become completely and obviously dysfunctional. jospin ran to the centre and got thoroughly owned, and hollande actually destroyed his party doing the same. after schröder, there's been no serious chance of an SPD chancellor. the list goes on - what wins elections is building a credible coalition of interests and representing in a meaningful way some majority of the public, not some bizarre median voter. triangulation is always about aiming for specific swing groups while still offering your core support enough that they'll turn out, it's not about some ridiculous one-dimensional axis. corbyn very nearly won after pulling off his regional poor/urban middle class coalition in 2017, against the traditional and very strong tory bloc of homeowners and high capital. blair managed to poach the homeowners. in 2019, the election was about antiliberalism, and corbyn got crushed as the tories poached the rural poor.

the electoral strategy that wins is entirely dependent on the issues and voting populace at hand. it's got very little to do with radicalism. if trump could somehow push medicare for all through on the republican platform (he won't, because capital owns the party and he's a weak-minded rear end in a top hat), he'd almost certainly win the election despite M4A being the opposite of centrism in america

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Biden has always been a huge racist, no need to try and reframe his racist comments.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

joepinetree posted:

Carter's "lefty kookiness" was never a narrative. It became a narrative when democrats had to defend moving right. Carter lost because the economy sucked because he put Volcker in charge. Reagan's closing statement on the last debate was

Just like with this whole "Hispanics are more politically homogeneous than whites" nonsense. I mean, the thread is right here, so I am not going to go over the argument again.
That you find it weird doesn't mean its not true.

For example, there is a greater divide amongst white people as to white privilege than there is amongst Hispanics.

And white privilege is definitely a hot button political topic, even before the recent protests and the resurgence of BLM.

As for Carter:

quote:

“Ours is the party that welcomed generations of immigrants—the Jews, the Irish, the Italians, the Poles and all the others, enlisted them in its ranks and fought the political battles that helped bring them into the American mainstream,” Carter noted in his 1976 acceptance speech at the Democratic convention. He continued, with words that Bernie Sanders echoes today, “Too many have had to suffer at the hands of a political economic elite who have shaped decisions and never had to account for mistakes or to suffer from injustice. When unemployment prevails, they never stand in line looking for a job. When deprivation results from a confused and bewildering welfare system, they never do without food or clothing or a place to sleep. When the public schools are inferior or torn by strife, their children go to exclusive private schools. … An unfair tax structure serves their needs. And tight secrecy always seems to prevent reform.”

He went on to call for universal voter registration, a nationwide comprehensive health program for everyone and “a complete overhaul of our income tax system.” And little did he know how prescient this would be: “We can have an American government that does not oppress or spy on its own people but respects our dignity and our privacy and our right to be let alone.”

In his January 1978 State of the Union address, he named “the final elimination of the barriers that restrict the opportunities available to women and also to black people and Hispanics and other minorities” a national priority.
What centrist bilge!

The narratives about Carter are inextricably tied up with opinions at the time about pacifism and environmentalism. Carter was a weak do-gooder, a hippie. And hippies were the all-purpose avatar of the left at the time. Punch hippies, get votes, that's the method...

It's amusing to me though that you are posting Reagan quotes about how America is worse off under Carter in order to disprove a post I made about how Carter was viewed as an ineffective at best President. Like, you really do just seize on a single phrase. I'm not sure you even read anything in the post but that one phrase.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

That you find it weird doesn't mean its not true.

For example, there is a greater divide amongst white people as to white privilege than there is amongst Hispanics.

And white privilege is definitely a hot button political topic, even before the recent protests and the resurgence of BLM.

As for Carter:

What centrist bilge!

The narratives about Carter are inextricably tied up with opinions at the time about pacifism and environmentalism. Carter was a weak do-gooder, a hippie. And hippies were the all-purpose avatar of the left at the time. Punch hippies, get votes, that's the method...

It's amusing to me though that you are posting Reagan quotes about how America is worse off under Carter in order to disprove a post I made about how Carter was viewed as an ineffective at best President. Like, you really do just seize on a single phrase. I'm not sure you even read anything in the post but that one phrase.

Your dumb argument over political homogeneity is dumb because Hispanics can also be white, and none of the endless googling you are doing right now to prove that in certain surveys one is closer to 50 percent than the other changes the fact that you are creating arbitrary cut offs to argue arbitrary statements to support a dumb tangent by a senile candidate.

As for the rest, you're only proving that Democrats moved right, not that Carter lost for lefty kookiness.

Yes, Carter was ineffectual. Which is why the narrative that you are trying to create of democrats losing because they moved left is an ahistorical, dumb argument to try to justify their continuous move right.

Edit: like, this is incredible. We have an actual record of Carter as president as deregulating industries. We have actual evidence that the economy was the primary driver in that election. But instead the real argument is this dumb SAT game of word association: Carter was a pacifist, and pacifists remind people of hippies, and hippies remind people of the left, and therefore Carter lost because he was a lefty kook and therefore we gotta move right.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 6, 2020

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If someone is going to uncritically absorb and regurgitate centrist narratives it's not really surprising that they also absorb and regurgitate racist, reductive categorizations like "hispanic" as well

You're not actually responding to anything anyone is trying to argue with you about, you're just posting elaborations to your original posts.
No one is arguing you can't find surveys that say "Hispanics vote D more often", we're arguing that "Hispanic" is a garbage term.
No one is arguing that you can't identify some sort of conservative or centrist narrative about Jimmy Carter that ties his "leftiness" to Democratic losses. We're saying those narratives don't represent reality.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

joepinetree posted:

I think you're bringing in some legitimate insights, and it is worth remembering that Carter was to the Right of establishment Dems like Ted Kennedy on several issues. But it's also true that one of the most iconic Reagan moments was him dunking on Carter talking about the importance of social security and proposing (very limited) national insurance and going onto defend his opposition against medicare.

Painting Carter as a Leftist is not true at all, but I'm not sure I buy into the notion that the Reagan administration didn't drag the general political discourse severely to the right. The Reagan administration led an incredibly insidious and successful campaign against the concept of welfare.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

It's pretty goddamn telling that the reaction to "hispanic is a lovely, reductive, meaningless term" was "hmm well I bet you also care that the grocery stores use that word."

just like, barely 10 centimeters off of a reactionaries response to calling out racism.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think you're bringing in some legitimate insights, and it is worth remembering that Carter was to the Right of establishment Dems like Ted Kennedy on several issues. But it's also true that one of the most iconic Reagan moments was him dunking on Carter talking about the importance of social security and proposing (very limited) national insurance and going onto defend his opposition against medicare.

Painting Carter as a Leftist is not true at all, but I'm not sure I buy into the notion that the Reagan administration didn't drag the general political discourse severely to the right. The Reagan administration led an incredibly insidious and successful campaign against the concept of welfare.

"The Reagan administration dragged the government to the right" is a completely different argument than "Carter lost because he was too much of a lefty." Especially in the context of trying to paint the shift rightward by democrats as a consequence of "the left" losing so much between 1968 and 1992. Carter was already part of the rightward shift of democrats. He reacted to the stagflation of the 70s by deregulating industries, crushing unions and appointing a guy who raised interest rates to unprecedented heights.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Okay, but really are there Hispanic sections to grocery stores outside of tortilla stuff being grouped together? I mean I'm fine with that being true, but whenever I make Mexican or Colombian stuff, the materials are just kind of around. Like I've seen Asian and Jewish sections, but I'm being real, never seen a Hispanic section. Not making fun of anyone.

joepinetree posted:

"The Reagan administration dragged the government to the right" is a completely different argument than "Carter lost because he was too much of a lefty." Especially in the context of trying to paint the shift rightward by democrats as a consequence of "the left" losing so much between 1968 and 1992. Carter was already part of the rightward shift of democrats. He reacted to the stagflation of the 70s by deregulating industries, crushing unions and appointing a guy who raised interest rates to unprecedented heights.
I mean, I think we're in agreement around Carter. But I think the argument of the left losing so much between 1968 and 1992 is a fair one in that leftist ideas and victories were actively and successfully being poisoned. It wasn't about a single President loss. It was seeing the accomplishments of the most consequential Presidents in 20th Century being gleefully pissed on and any resistance to this looking entirely impotent.

I think we're in agreement that Democrats were not just victims or even bystanders in this.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Timeless Appeal posted:

Okay, but really are there Hispanic sections to grocery stores outside of tortilla stuff being grouped together?

Yes, in some stores, and yes, they have significantly more than just tortillas.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think we're in agreement that Democrats were not just victims or even bystanders in this.

This is really good- and it's important to remember, when people discuss issues of the day, that the Democrats were not and still are neither victims nor bystanders, but active and deliberate participants.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Seen a Hispanic section in literally every grocery store I've ever been in. Not sure where you'd have to live to not encounter one, because even chuds like tacos.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Seen a Hispanic section in literally every grocery store I've ever been in. Not sure where you'd have to live to not encounter one, because even chuds like tacos.

Like, it usually won't be explicitly labelled, but in New Zealand we definitely have a "salsa - hot sauces - spice mixes - peppers in jars - beans in cans - tortillas - corn chips" clustering in most supermarkets with zero attempt to split them into different regions.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Okay, but really are there Hispanic sections to grocery stores outside of tortilla stuff being grouped together? I mean I'm fine with that being true, but whenever I make Mexican or Colombian stuff, the materials are just kind of around. Like I've seen Asian and Jewish sections, but I'm being real, never seen a Hispanic section. Not making fun of anyone.
I mean, I think we're in agreement around Carter. But I think the argument of the left losing so much between 1968 and 1992 is a fair one in that leftist ideas and victories were actively and successfully being poisoned. It wasn't about a single President loss. It was seeing the accomplishments of the most consequential Presidents in 20th Century being gleefully pissed on and any resistance to this looking entirely impotent.

But the argument, as presented in this thread, is that Carter, Mondale and Dukakis were from the left of the party and they all lost, so Clinton had to move right to win.
Which is objectively not true. As discussed, Carter was already a departure to the right.Mondale and Dukakis both defeated Jesse Jackson for the nomination and were also from the center right of the party. Both ran, for example, on cutting the deficit.

Leftist ideas "lost" because democrats decided to kill them. Not because they lost elections trying to run on them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

joepinetree posted:

But the argument, as presented in this thread, is that Carter, Mondale and Dukakis were from the left of the party and they all lost, so Clinton had to move right to win.
Which is objectively not true. As discussed, Carter was already a departure to the right.Mondale and Dukakis both defeated Jesse Jackson for the nomination and were also from the center right of the party. Both ran, for example, on cutting the deficit.

Leftist ideas "lost" because democrats decided to kill them. Not because they lost elections trying to run on them.
No, I get what you're arguing, but I think you're making a jump there that I can't follow which is what I was getting at. I think it's naive to think Bill Clinton was like, "Well, I WAS going to run on a progressive utopia, but I guess it has to be the third way." But I think the notion that Leftist ideas lost because democrats decided to kill them is also not true. Like I said, the Reagan administration led an incredibly successful campaign against the progressive victories of the century. And the guy leading this wasn't marginally winning, he was winning by staggering amounts.

The domestically Progressive Democrats on a big national level died with Humphrey and were complicit with a rightward swing. But the Republicans successfully demonized the very notion of welfare.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I mean I grew up in New York, but I've been to other grocery stores, and live in Durham now. Like my muscle memory is that stuff is just is logically grouped by what type of food it is outside of boxed tortillas being grouped near salsas. I really can't like manifest a memory of a sign that says Hispanic Foods. But that's on me.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Actually now that I think about it tortillas are about the one thing that isn't in the Hispanic foods section at any of my stores because they're just over by the bread

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

No, I get what you're arguing, but I think you're making a jump there that I can't follow which is what I was getting at. I think it's naive to think Bill Clinton was like, "Well, I WAS going to run on a progressive utopia, but I guess it has to be the third way." But I think the notion that Leftist ideas lost because democrats decided to kill them is also not true. Like I said, the Reagan administration led an incredibly successful campaign against the progressive victories of the century. And the guy leading this wasn't marginally winning, he was winning by staggering amounts.

The domestically Progressive Democrats on a big national level died with Humphrey and were complicit with a rightward swing. But the Republicans successfully demonized the very notion of welfare.
I mean I grew up in New York, but I've been to other grocery stores, and live in Durham now. Like my muscle memory is that stuff is just is logically grouped by what type of food it is outside of boxed tortillas being grouped near salsas. I really can't like manifest a memory of a sign that says Hispanic Foods. But that's on me.

Of course the democrats aren't the only reason why the country moved right. But the democrats are the reason the democrats moved right. Or, more precisely, as democrats became more and more reliant on wall street money and influence, the more they moved right and abandoned new deal politics. It's a move that preceded Reagan and continued long after him.

Let's take a look at an emblematic figure in this story: Lloyd Bentsen.
He was the treasury secretary under Clinton, and one of the key figures in passing NAFTA. He was clearly a member of the right of the party. Was he a reaction to Reagan?
No. He first got elected to the senate in 1970 by attacking the incumbent for voting for the civil rights act and opposing the vietnam war. He was a VP candidate, chairman of important committees in the senate and so on.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Ironically, Bill Clinton actually tacked to the left for a lot of the 1992 primary, despite developing his whole career around being a new democrat, because Pete Tsongas sucked up the centrist air in that primary.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

plogo posted:

Ironically, Bill Clinton actually tacked to the left for a lot of the 1992 primary, despite developing his whole career around being a new democrat, because Pete Tsongas sucked up the centrist air in that primary.

Bill won with a populist message and then backtracked immediately in pwoer. Obama 16 years before.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
The other thing I see a lot of is implication that Biden is "moderate." Is this meant to be because he's on the right of what folks assume is the left part of the political spectrum? Is he allegedly moderate because, as a hard-right democrat, that supposedly puts him in the genuine political centre, rather than way out on the actual right wing and deep into what they would probably call Republican politics? Do folks not know that, while party affiliation is no longer big tents, party politics absolutely are?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My favorite thing about Biden is the way that friendly media profiles describe his climb to power.

For example:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14999603

quote:

He talked about the environment and civil rights and about change.

Like, most friendly profiles of Biden describe how he talked or campaigned on civil rights in his first senate race. What they don't mention is what side he was on.
He ran against J Caleb Boggs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Caleb_Boggs

quote:

Boggs voted in favor of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1968,[2][3] as well as the 24th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution,[4] the Voting Rights Act of 1965,[5] and the confirmation of Thurgood Marshall to the U.S. Supreme Court

So he ran on civil rights against a guy who voted for the civil rights act. His stance against integration that led to the Kamala brief attack on him wasn't an accident, it was an integral part of why he won.

Triangulation wasn't invented by Bill Clinton. The right wing move by the democrats didn't start after Reagan.

And here we have, 48 years later, him nominated for president.

Edit:
And just in case people don't trust me, here are some ads from the first Biden campaign:

quote:

Cale Boggs' generation dreamed of conquering polio. Joe Biden's generation dreams of conquering heroin,

quote:

To Cale Boggs an unfair tax was the 1948 poll tax. To Joe Biden an unfair tax is the 1972 income tax

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 7, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Somfin posted:

The other thing I see a lot of is implication that Biden is "moderate." Is this meant to be because he's on the right of what folks assume is the left part of the political spectrum? Is he allegedly moderate because, as a hard-right democrat, that supposedly puts him in the genuine political centre, rather than way out on the actual right wing and deep into what they would probably call Republican politics? Do folks not know that, while party affiliation is no longer big tents, party politics absolutely are?

I'm actually pretty sold on the argument that Biden's rather good at tacking to the center of the Democratic Party (and by extension, a bit short on actual ideology or Ideology). I'm not particularly interested in wading into the debate about what we should use as the barometer for left right etc, but historically he tends not to stay on the right wing of the party for particularly long. He may have conservative tendencies, or it may be mostly joepinetree's pitch that the Democratic Party moved substantially to the right during a lot of Biden's pre-Obama political years, but he's clearly willing to throw those out if the party moves back left or center or whatever you want to call it.

I wouldn't call him a hard-right Democrat because he... was consistently left of a lot of (trash) Democrats throughout his career?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1291552038455775233

trump made video games illegal

edit: wrong thread. but probably a bad election strategy.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm actually pretty sold on the argument that Biden's rather good at tacking to the center of the Democratic Party (and by extension, a bit short on actual ideology or Ideology). I'm not particularly interested in wading into the debate about what we should use as the barometer for left right etc, but historically he tends not to stay on the right wing of the party for particularly long. He may have conservative tendencies, or it may be mostly joepinetree's pitch that the Democratic Party moved substantially to the right during a lot of Biden's pre-Obama political years, but he's clearly willing to throw those out if the party moves back left or center or whatever you want to call it.

I wouldn't call him a hard-right Democrat because he... was consistently left of a lot of (trash) Democrats throughout his career?

Can you point to any issue prior to the Obama vice presidency where he wasn't to the right of democrats?

Because clearly on integration, financial regulation, crime, the iraq war and bankruptcy he was easily on the right most third of the democrats.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

KidDynamite posted:

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1291552038455775233

trump made video games illegal

edit: wrong thread. but probably a bad election strategy.

honestly it's hilarious how completely he doesn't understand anything at all about economies. Tragic, too, unfortunately :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

joepinetree posted:

Can you point to any issue prior to the Obama vice presidency where he wasn't to the right of democrats?

Because clearly on integration, financial regulation, crime, the iraq war and bankruptcy he was easily on the right most third of the democrats.

the pitch was some statistical nonsense by somebody or other but I'll try to remember to find it