Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MoaM posted:

Maybe I'll just listen to the recording?
Though...I have elitist objections to showtunes in TYOL 2020 to begin with.

I'll wait a couple years.

I'd probably watch it if you have the option (though I've only seen it live/not watched the recording), the staging and choreography are a huge part of what makes the show work as well as it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
there's probably an alternate universe where LMM made a musical version of the October revolution and earned the undying love of leftists everywhere

like how in kaiserreich all the big historical figures wind up with the opposite ideology of whatever they had in real life

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/GPBmadeit/status/1290382705457156096?p=v

behold an article so woke it somehow manages to go seven hundred words without ever describing what the show is even about

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
are there any rosemary's baby truthers out there? rosemary's baby is SO good and it seems to me that it's such an incredible depiction of an abusive relationship that it's unbelievable that roman polanski made it. how could someone like that make a movie like this?

it's been lavishly praised elsewhere but the dr. hill sequence in the second half of the movie is incredible. obviously very relevant today with public distrust of doctors being in the news and all

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Some Guy TT posted:

behold an article so woke it somehow manages to go seven hundred words without ever describing what the show is even about

the twist: it's a movie

Aglet56 posted:

there's probably an alternate universe where LMM made a musical version of the October revolution and earned the undying love of leftists everywhere

like how in kaiserreich all the big historical figures wind up with the opposite ideology of whatever they had in real life

I can't find the thread but there were people riffing on Disney+ featuring even more LMM style historical musicals and some of them were really funny, like a trans J Edgar Hoover sadly rapping about how they have to kill Huey Long before he builds too many racism factories

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Some Guy TT posted:

Old guard is p deece trashy fun, though the degree to which chiweitel eijifor is an absolute loving psycho gets under recognised. Good to watch if you like watching charlize theron being badass and/or endless armies of mooks gettin murked

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Aglet56 posted:

are there any rosemary's baby truthers out there? rosemary's baby is SO good and it seems to me that it's such an incredible depiction of an abusive relationship that it's unbelievable that roman polanski made it. how could someone like that make a movie like this?

Probably because he was an abuser, OP

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dreylad posted:

the twist: it's a movie

The article also describes what the movie is about. I don't see the big problem with the article, it's function is to say that "hey, female lead movies can be successful" not to give a recap of the movie.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ayynicko/status/1290853232776904704?s=20

lol this is straight up 1950s talking points about the USSR

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Dog posted:

Probably because he was an abuser, OP

Moral quality is orthogonal to artistic quality

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
it just makes sense to me that an abuser would have good understanding of the dynamics of abusive relationships.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i suppose that's probably the (depressing) correct answer.

after posting that last night, i actually found an interview where polanski said "For credibility's sake, I decided that there would have to be a loophole: the possibility that Rosemary's supernatural experiences were figments of her imagination. The entire story, as seen through her eyes, could have been a chain of only superficially sinister coincidences, a product of her feverish fancies ... That is why a thread of deliberate ambiguity runs throughout the film."

i actually do not find that in rosemary's baby at all. her husband and her doctors are behaving like fuckin loons and her creepy-rear end neighbors are not normal; perhaps it's just because everyone knows the ending but there is no real doubt that something bad is happening to rosemary. it's interesting (and frightening) to think that polanski could've thought that the people around rosemary could be interpreted as totally reasonable

one of the most affecting scenes to me is the part where rosemary finally gets alone with her friends and they instantly tell her that she looks like poo poo and that having your doctor dismiss all of your pain and concerns is not good. rosemary is drowning for the rest of the film and that scene is her coming getting her head above water for a second

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Atrocious Joe posted:

lmfao the original show had an episode devoted to making fun of the red scare ahahaha

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Atrocious Joe posted:

thats not fair 1950s talking points about the ussr were considerably more coherent

as far as i can tell the message of this clip is that group projects are communism

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Show your kids Gundam instead of live action Disney shows

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Some Guy TT posted:

thats not fair 1950s talking points about the ussr were considerably more coherent

as far as i can tell the message of this clip is that group projects are communism

Specifically, collaboration and equal ownership of a project in order to make it a success is for the common mediocre herd animals. I’m imagining every non writer, director, producer and actor on set gritting their teeth while it was being filmed.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the first movie roman polanski made after fleeing the country is an adaptation of Tess of the d'Urbervilles, a 19th century novel about a teenage girl who's life is ruined when she is raped by a nobleman, and ends with her killing him. wild world

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Stairmaster posted:

Show your kids Gundam instead of live action Disney shows

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattytheMouse/status/1291353795360940034

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lovecraft complained that vampires, werewolves, and mummies weren't scary anymore so he definitely cared about making cool monsters. He'd be more disappointed that his monsters have been just as demystified.

Also, the point of all of Lovecraft's writing is him trying to reconcile his extreme white yankee chauvinism with the reality that the entirety of "white civilization" is insignificant compared to the grand scale of the universe.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hope this doesn't suck rear end!

https://twitter.com/BronStudios/status/1291516872957898752

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

Lovecraft complained that vampires, werewolves, and mummies weren't scary anymore so he definitely cared about making cool monsters. He'd be more disappointed that his monsters have been just as demystified.

Also, the point of all of Lovecraft's writing is him trying to reconcile his extreme white yankee chauvinism with the reality that the entirety of "white civilization" is insignificant compared to the grand scale of the universe.

i like a lot of lovecraft's stuff, mountains of madness is a great story, and he's inspired a bunch of great stuff, but he's easy, funny, and righteous to dunk on so

(agreed wrt monsters too)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Gulliermo del Toro's adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness is my personal Jodorowsky's Dune.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm watching Stalingrad (2013) and it opens with a montage of the Russian contributions to rescue efforts after a Japanese earthquake? What?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

on one end im disappointed that john lewis didnt live to see this

but on the other end john lewis is dead wooooo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

Gulliermo del Toro's adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness is my personal Jodorowsky's Dune.

same. at least color out of space was actually pretty good

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh man if you haven't seen it drop whatever you're doing and go watch Stalingrad (2013) especially if you've seen Enemy At The Gates, because this puts that Hollywood poo poo to absolute shame, holy gently caress, this is like Lord of the Rings level production value and it absolutely kicks rear end every step of the way

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Zeroisanumber posted:

I want to see what is in Jodorowsky’s Dune production book. In the documentary it looked like a 1000 pages of concepts that would make Kojima jealous.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I expected more of Stalingrad, it's pretty schlocky.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

same. at least color out of space was actually pretty good

Color Out Of Space was so good, and it’s great to see Richard Stanley receiving positive attention from a larger audience,

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXeYHgqCgDg

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
that has to be one of the most weirdly dated seinfeld clips ive ever seen given that the new york deli scene is dying as capitalism has intensified making it impossible even for older ones to compete with national brands let alone anyone crazy enough to try and open up a new one

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grevling posted:

I expected more of Stalingrad, it's pretty schlocky.

tbf so was saving private ryan

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

Color Out Of Space was so good, and it’s great to see Richard Stanley receiving positive attention from a larger audience,

i had a few gripes (climax went on too long, nick cage is a little too hammy for a movie that's actually good) but overall it nailed what it was going for and i'm super excited for the dunwich horror adaptation assuming that the world survives the next few years

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

i had a few gripes (climax went on too long, nick cage is a little too hammy for a movie that's actually good) but overall it nailed what it was going for and i'm super excited for the dunwich horror adaptation assuming that the world survives the next few years

I agree about the climax, but I dunno how I feel about Cage. I mean, he’s consistently entertaining in the film, but I need to go back and watch it with a more critical eye (haven’t seen it since release in theaters). Do you think he could have worked in the film if he had brought a different energy? Or, if he’s just no good for it, who would you have liked to see play the dad?

Pre direct to video John Cusack might have been good for it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

I agree about the climax, but I dunno how I feel about Cage. I mean, he’s consistently entertaining in the film, but I need to go back and watch it with a more critical eye (haven’t seen it since release in theaters). Do you think he could have worked in the film if he had brought a different energy? Or, if he’s just no good for it, who would you have liked to see play the dad?

Pre direct to video John Cusack might have been good for it.

i think he's pretty good overall and there's some bit where he's great, like early in the movie before he really goes off the deep end. he just has a few Nick Cage Moments (TM) (like the scene where he's freaking out in the car) where it feels like it would really elevate a terrible movie but since the rest of Color is actually good it just comes across as a little hammy. that said i've also only seen it once and it didn't, like, derail the movie so i'm not gonna gripe too hard, just gotta get my takes out

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 07:06 on Aug 7, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

now i want to do a double feature of raising arizona > color out of space

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
so it's been a little over a year: what's the consensus on Us (2019, jordan peele)

instant classic? sophomore slump? good usage of "i got 5 on it"?

personally, i loved it. the imagery of the underground clone labs was incredibly evocative and obviously lupita nyong'o was fantastic

interesting to compare the class conflict angle of the tethered vs. the surface people with the other big class conflict movie of 2019: parasite

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

now i want to do a double feature of raising arizona > color out of space

I was thinking about watching the Sonic The Hedgehog movie with drinks tomorrow, but I’m stealing this idea instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Aglet56 posted:

so it's been a little over a year: what's the consensus on Us (2019, jordan peele)

instant classic? sophomore slump? good usage of "i got 5 on it"?

personally, i loved it. the imagery of the underground clone labs was incredibly evocative and obviously lupita nyong'o was fantastic

interesting to compare the class conflict angle of the tethered vs. the surface people with the other big class conflict movie of 2019: parasite

I liked it when I saw it in the theater, but loving loved it on a rewatch.