Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What was the first Discworld everyone read? I started with "Interesting Times" and it absolutely blew my 12-year-old mind. I had no idea what was going on but "your wife is a big hippo" and "there he is! Get 'im! Got 'im? Now kick 'im inna fork!" were pure magic.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Colour of Magic is the best one.

It's pretty good. There's a weird kind of joyous madness to the whole thing that I really like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I started with Colour of Magic as well. And a translation, at that.

I'd I mostly kept reading just because I was really starved for fantasy books as a teenager rather than because I actually, like, enjoyed it.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

*I find it funny that when you think about it, the fantasy setting in popular culture that's probably closest in setting to Discworld since Discworld stopped being a parody of generic medieval fantasy is probably Warhammer Fantasy, of all things.

Pratchett was in talks with Games Workshop back in the early days about writing for Warhammer so the connection maybe isn't as far off as you might think.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Pratchett was in talks with Games Workshop back in the early days about writing for Warhammer so the connection maybe isn't as far off as you might think.

Are you saying Pratchett didn't write the bird people?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tree Bucket posted:

What was the first Discworld everyone read? I started with "Interesting Times" and it absolutely blew my 12-year-old mind. I had no idea what was going on but "your wife is a big hippo" and "there he is! Get 'im! Got 'im? Now kick 'im inna fork!" were pure magic.

My first was Thief of Time, and it’s still my favorite Discworld book. The Death and Susan books are my favorites, there’s something about cosmological Discworld that I adore

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tree Bucket posted:

My first was a copy of "Men at Arms" loaned to me by my HS lit teacher. I was dubious at first, because surely this couldn't be as good as HHG2G, right? Or I'd have heard of it.

Hooked right away. Immediately borrowed the other 2 she had which I don't actually remember atm. I think one of them might have been Reaper Man.

Anyway, I think Men at Arms might be an even better entry to the Guards books than Guards Guards. It's got that more modern AM feel. Everything is a little more polished and Vimes is somewhat sorted out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tree Bucket posted:

What was the first Discworld everyone read?

When I started reading Discworld there were only two books, so I began with the first one.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Pyramids for me- I was 10 or 11 and used to really enjoy boarding-school stories, so it was sold to me on that basis.

I read up to the then current book in the next two months.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Moving Pictures when I was 12 or so. Then when I was in high school, I picked up Men At Arms, saw that Detritus was in that one too and fell in love. That was also when I became the sole member of the Carrot Ironfounderrson Fan Club.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I started with Thud!

I’m also ready to fight anyone who says I Shall Wear Midnight is bad.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

It's pretty good. There's a weird kind of joyous madness to the whole thing that I really like.

Men at Arms, which is IMO a great starting point because it's the first 'modern' Watch book and the Watch is the best storyline, followed closely by Witches.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Mine was Soul Music, which as a tiny 9 year old proto-metal head I loved. Then I think it was Mort and Feet of Clay. It was all from my primary school's tiny library. Picked it up cos I recognised it from my uncle's pile of books and then stuck with them cos they were fun and I was sick of buying kids books with my pocket money and finishing them the same day.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jingo. Recommended by a friend who could have recomended me most anything he wrote up to then, but they knew exactly what would resonate best with me. I'd been given the Johnny Maxwell books as a kid and liked them well enough, but Jingo was one of those special moments that only comes along a few times in your life when you just know this is going to stay with you forever, and I don't think anything else he'd written to that point could have resonated nearly as well.

Beachcomber posted:

Anyway, I think Men at Arms might be an even better entry to the Guards books than Guards Guards. It's got that more modern AM feel. Everything is a little more polished and Vimes is somewhat sorted out.

It's also one of the first books where he starts writing in an "[other genre], but with fantasy trappings" kind of way instead of "fantasy, with trappings of [other genre]".

:siren: point has been made, extensive bloviating on an incredibly minor matter follows :siren:

This is tied up with one of those absolutely miniscule details that I find fascinating out of all proportion to its importance and prominence; in Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms, Vimes is almost always a guard, and he usually thinks of himself as a guard.

quote:

Captain Sam Vimes, Ankh-Morpork City Guard (Night Watch), sat in the draughty anteroom to the Patrician's audience chamber with his best cloak on and his breastplate polished and his helmet on his knees.

He stared woodenly at the wall.

He ought to be happy, he told himself. And he was. In a way. Definitely. Happy as anything.

He was going to get married in a few days.

He was going to stop being a guard.

He was going to be a gentleman of leisure.

He took off his copper badge and buffed it absent-mindedly on the edge of his cloak. Then he held it up so that the light glinted off the patina'd surface. AMCW No.177. He sometimes wondered how many other guards had had the badge before him. Well, now someone was going to have it after him.

quote:

'And of course I shall have to promote a new chief officer for the Night Watch,' said the Patrician. 'Have you any suggestions, captain?'
Vimes appeared to descend from whatever cloud his mind had been occupying. This was guard work.

quote:

And it emerged that no-one, no-one, knew where he lived, or even if there was a Mrs Kepple. They had a whip-round to bury him, Vimes remembered. There were just guards at the funeral . . .

Come to think of it, there were always just guards at a guard's funeral.

quote:

'You can't just kill me. That's the law. And you're a guard,' Dr Cruces repeated. He licked his dry lips.

The barrel lowered a little. Cruces almost relaxed.

'Yes. I am a guard.'

The barrel rose again, pointed at Cruces' forehead.

'But when the bells stop,' said Vimes, quietly, 'I won't be a guard any more.'

The word appears about 70 times (only occasionally in different contexts, and when it does it's often to make wordplay about guards guarding things): "police" is only in there twice, "policeman" eight times. "Copper" is there 18 times, but a lot of them are about the material; its most notable use by far is the one time Vimes uses it of himself:

quote:

Vimes would be the first to admit that he wasn't a good copper, but he'd probably be spared the chore because lots of other people would happily admit it for him. There was a certain core of stubborn bloody-mindedness there which upset important people, and anyone who upsets important people is automatically hot a good copper. But he'd developed instincts. You couldn't live on the streets of a city all your life without them. In the same way that the whole jungle subtly changes at the distant approach of the hunter, there was an alteration in the feel of the city.

There was something happening here, something wrong, and he couldn't quite see what it was. He started to reach down—

"Watch" and "Watchman" are in there a lot, but I can't find Vimes calling himself a watchman, although he does call other people "watchman". He is very clearly and definitely a guard.

By the time Feet of Clay rolls around, the word "guard" appears only twice; once in Vimes's full title at the start (it's still the City Guard, not the City Watch), and once when he thinks back to old guard crossbows. Most of the words above barely appear in that book, which itself is interesting when you consider it's probably the most police-y pure detectoring story in the series. Then in Jingo, there's lots of "police", "copper" and "Watch" flying about (ironically, by this point Vimes is starting to move outwith the usual province of detectorers), but the only time "guard" appears is as a verb, or to describe the Klatchian guards in El-Khali.

I'd love to be able to ask how deliberate this was...

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 6, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Interesting Times for me, but I was aware of them for many years before that. I pretty much devoured all the other Discworld books at the time over the next few weeks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

Small Gods. Then I went back to Colour of Magic which was...an experience.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Crap, I completely forgot about the Maxwell books. Only You Can Save Mankind would be my first- I got it from one of those in-school book catalogues that would come around once a term or so. As I was at the time obsessively playing Wing Commander on my then top-of-the-lone 386 SX16 (no sound and a gravis game pad to control it) it stood out to me in the catalogue. I was not disappointed.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Mine was carpe jugulum, and I'm pretty sure I picked it up just by reading the blurb in the back and thinking "this can't be as hilarious as it sounds".and it wasn't.it was even better.
I immediately fell in love with the witches and went back 2 days latter and bought all discworld books in the shop, which if I'm not mistaken was pyramids, Eric, Mort, sourcery and wyrd sisters which was a significant chunk of my money because I was a poor high school student. This was back in 1998, I had to order the books in the shop and they would take about a month to arrive because English is not my mother tongue and I kind miss that anticipation of when a new book is gonna come in.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Tree Bucket posted:

Reaper Man was first. Then Eric, followed by Soul Music. I enjoyed them, but Discworld didn't really stick with me the way it does now. I'm glad I eventually acquired the taste.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think the PS1 game was my first interaction with a Pratchett thing, though my uncle read the hell out of the books before he passed away, just never indicated that he did or tried to get me to read them. I think the first Discworld book I read was Mort, then I quickly went back and read the first 3, then the rest in order very quickly. I was a voracious reader back in the day, these days it takes me a couple months to get through one book.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The first Discworld I read was a short story in a collection of shorts by various fantasy authors. It was a Granny Wetherwax story, I had no context for what was going on but I enjoyed it enough to seek out The Color of Magic and went from there.

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

Lords and Ladies, from the school library when I was 13 or 14.
I'm not sure why that one. I loved it despite not knowing the history, and immediately went back and started from Colour of Magic.
Witches books are still my favourite setting to this day.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I remember my first Discworld novel very clearly and can even tell you exactly when it was: Late April, 2009. I was a sophomore in high school (Apologies to everyone that I just made feel old :v:), and was visiting Atlanta as part of a robotics competition. Walking through a small bookstore in the CNN center looking for something to read on the bus ride home, I picked up The Colour of Magic and ended up buying it on the recommendation of a friend. I blazed through it, loved it, and immediately started scouring my local library and Borders bookstore for more, until I'd eventually gone through the entire series.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I'm a little disappointed to find that I can't remember my first discworld novel. I've been reading them so long, and from such a young age that they've just been a constant backbeat to my life. I do remember that I read them all out of order when I did, not understanding how things linked up until one day it all sort of assembled in my head.

I think my brother or maybe my dad had copies of some of the books, and I picked them up because I was one of those kids who was always reading, and moreover, was always looking for new fantasy stuff. I must have been maybe 8 or 9? I remember finding copies of Only You Can Save Mankind and Diggers in our basement, too. At some point I started actively hunting for them in bookshops, especially if they had the UK covers. I think that Thief of TIme was the first one that I bought when it came out, and I remember being blown away by it.

I was also a member of the Carrot Ironfoundersson fan club. I remember thinking how cool it was that a person could inspire others around them to be better just by believing they were good people. My schoolfriends who also read the books thought I was an idiot not to like the grittier characters and to think that way. But I'm glad that I did, honestly. I think it made me a better person, in some ways.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I started with Equal Rites in year 7 from the school library, then blazed through all the ones up to date at the time in a few weeks.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I also liked Carrot and just wanted him and Angua to get a happy ending.:(

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I read the illustrated Last Hero when I was about ten, didn't get it, and then picked it up again a few years later and was hooked immediately. Started from the color of magic and worked forward from there.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

GodFish posted:

I read the illustrated Last Hero when I was about ten, didn't get it, and then picked it up again a few years later and was hooked immediately. Started from the color of magic and worked forward from there.

Wait...what would have happened to Angua on the moon?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My first Pratchett (not just discworld) was Truckers at age 7. It's been incredible re reading that trilogy over the following years, and having more and more of its weird double-reverse-scifi structure unfold for me.

Khizan posted:

Men at Arms, which is IMO a great starting point because it's the first 'modern' Watch book and the Watch is the best storyline, followed closely by Witches.

Yeah, if I were to recommend a starting Pratchett, it'd be this one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Small Gods is another good option.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"What is the best starting point to this incredibly versatile series" is a dumb question to try to answer. (Asking the question isn't dumb because obviously the asker does not know that it's dumb to try to answer it, yet.)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"What is the best starting point to this incredibly versatile series" is a dumb question to try to answer. (Asking the question isn't dumb because obviously the asker does not know that it's dumb to try to answer it, yet.)

it's mort

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's not a stupid question, but the answer depends entirely on who's trying to start.

If you'd tried to start me with the Witches, or Death, or Moving Pictures, or Pyramids, I may well have just bounced straight off it and never given Pratchett a second thought. However, if I'm recommending to my mate who's a massive theatre nerd, I'm absolutely starting them off with the likes of Wyrd Sisters or Maskerade; the guy who loves rock and roll gets Soul Music; the crime maven gets Men at Arms or Feet of Clay; the YA lover gets Tiffany Aching (or possibly Johnny Maxwell); the Fritz Lieber fan gets The Colour of Magic.

That's part of the greatness of Discworld, no matter who you are, there's probably something that'll speak deeply to you in a way that most of the other books won't, but once the setting and world-view bites you, it's generally entertaining enough to carry you through the books that don't speak to you in the same way.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 7, 2020

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Equal rites here cause it was one of few Pratchett books that was translated into Swedish at that time. Ie 30 years ago or so.

Interesting Times is my favourite, mostly due to the cynicism with regards to any kind of revolution that Pratchett describes through Rincewind. Then again, I consider Vimes to be a new protagonist compared to Esme and Rincewind.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Also Equal Rites for me. I ended up liking other books in the series a lot more, but it still intrigued the hell out of me.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

effervescible posted:

Also Equal Rites for me. I ended up liking other books in the series a lot more, but it still intrigued the hell out of me.

Equal Rites would have had an effect on Discworld if it was a later book rather than book three. Female wizards is basically a footnote in the series compared to the things happening to the world during the Watch series.
On the other hand, Sourcery pretty much ends Discworld so ....

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Detritus looks good.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 7, 2020

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
I definitely read the Johnny books and I think Truckers/Diggers before my first Discworld book.

Interesting Times was my first disc book though. Picked up second hand around 1996/7ish. Then filled in the rest gradually. When I was a kid I used to read Hogfather every Christmas, think I'm going to resurrect that tradition this year!

Night Watch is probably my favourite, and the Watch series is probably my fave 'strand' of the Discworld. Love Small Gods and Thief of Time as well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The_Doctor posted:

Detritus looks good.

Still lmaoing at young skinny hot vigilante Sybil Ramkin.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Pyramids was my first, a friend gave it to me as a birthday gift. I remember being disappointed finding out later the characters and setting were a one-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I get that man at arms presents the more established version of the watch, but the ending gets a extra kick if you follow carrots arc from guards guards.
Same as jingo, for me. The rolodex death call really hit me in the feels, because I've followed these characters in the previous novels.