Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

My understanding is that because people weren't shopping in person and also the Mint being short staffed during covid the endless circulation of physical currency is messed up and now places are having issues keeping up supply.

I guess coins aren't as easy to make as paper money, although it seems like it would be backwards since we use weird cloth bills

It’s this. The mint was shut down for ~15 weeks, and with a shift to online shopping a lot of cash just stopped circulating. Until last week, Kroger I work at hadn’t received any rolled change since the beginning of July when we got 12 rolls of dimes (instead of a full box of 50).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sarcastro posted:

It's true in the U.S. as well, and anyone who says otherwise really needs to go back to the books and look up what "debt" means.

Or just looking at the Treasury's answer to this question:

US Treasury posted:

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Subjunctive posted:

Heh, that's the exact page I went to just now to make sure I was right before mashing Post.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Guavanaut posted:

There are stores that are politely asking people to use card and NFC phone payment wherever possible, because of Covid (((Gyorgy $oro$$$))) mark of the Bea$t.

This is of course the worst imposition since wearing a piece of cloth.

I have an inlaw with strong Libertarian leanings that argued with me and the rest of their family that it was illegal for my business to not accept cash as payment (We almost entirely sell to retailers/wholesalers)

They even claimed that this

Subjunctive posted:

was wrong. As in the US Treasury was wrong to state that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

that's because Libertarianism isn't so much a principled coherent political ideology, as it is a thin rationalization for having a tantrum "you can't tell me what to do, you're not my dad!"

government has no right to regulate businesses as long as I identify with the business owner and am imagining myself getting to abuse workers and discriminate against customers

until a business decision inconveniences me, then mah rights are being violated, the government is your manager and bah gawd I demand to speak with them

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
"it's unconstitutional social engineering to stop businesses from having separate colored entrances"

AND

"it's my inalienable right to enter your establishment smoking cigarettes and drinking raw milk without a mask despite your posted requirements"

Edit: the simplest way I've come to put it for in-person chat is that American Libertarians are essentially a special-interest group for fat white boys.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 4, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

We have slightly more patience than that.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Do they mean Herman Cain?

Very late edit for more content:

The response to this one is to point out how the whole thing falls apart because it falsely assumes that "all" people will die from covid. That's not why covid is the crisis that it is. The issue is in how transmissible it is. The mask-less assholes likely won't die. The people they may infect by not wearing a mask might, though, or the people they infect may go on to infect other people who might. And that's just talking about death. Nevermind that getting sick and surviving is still a loving nightmare and good luck paying off your medical bill if you need hospitalization. Mock whoever posts this for still not understanding covid 6 months in. These people need to feel shame.

tek79 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 6, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I live in California and encounter a lot of people who immigrated here and their children. Every single person that I have met who was born on US soil (and went to school in the US as a result), regardless of how much English their parents speak, is 100% fluent in English. Every immigrant that I have met has made at least some effort to learn English, even if they're not fluent. You'll occasionally run into an older person who hasn't had a whole lot of success, but even then they're still capable of basic communication.

I get that this sort of bullshit is meant to cater to folks for whom the very idea of someone not being white is a novelty, but it's just such a stark contrast to my experience that it's disgusting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

whats belgium

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

whats belgium

*laughs in Flemish*

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

whats belgium

confirmation? :v:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Posted by the same sort of motherfuckers who would go to France and demand an English menu

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

whats belgium

Or Singapore, India, etc.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Dim diolch

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Doesn't China also have two written languages? The more traditional one character per word and one that's closer to an alphabet?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HootTheOwl posted:

Doesn't China also have two written languages? The more traditional one character per word and one that's closer to an alphabet?

No, China just uses characters. There's ways of writing the characters phonetically like pinyin, but they're not actually used practically for communication.

You might be confusing it with Japan, which uses Chinese characters plus two syllabaries. But they're not different languages, they're used in tandem.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 7, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

They actually have one written language but two main spoken dialects, Mandarin and Cantonese, that are mutually unintelligible, if I remember right

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

They actually have one written language but two main spoken dialects, Mandarin and Cantonese, that are mutually unintelligible, if I remember right

Those are the two biggest ones but there's several other spoken dialects that are also unintelligible or at least very difficult for non-speakers to understand. They're at least as different from each other as the Romance languages are from each other.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The fun thing to do is when people start getting upset that immigrants wear weird clothes have a strange religion don't speak English and refused to assimilate with the surrounding culture is to tell the person they have just described the Amish

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Whenever I see this poo poo I can't help but think of that Izzard skit

"Two languages in one head? No one can live at that speed.

"Good Lord, man! You're asking the impossible."

"But the Dutch speak four languages and smoke marijuana."

"Yes, but they're cheating."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

lol all those people applying for citizenship have better book smart and a theoretical understanding of how the gov should work than most regressives.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Tarezax posted:

Those are the two biggest ones but there's several other spoken dialects that are also unintelligible or at least very difficult for non-speakers to understand. They're at least as different from each other as the Romance languages are from each other.

DarkHorse posted:

HootTheOwl posted:

Tarezax posted:

No, China just uses characters. There's ways of writing the characters phonetically like pinyin, but they're not actually used practically for communication.

You might be confusing it with Japan, which uses Chinese characters plus two syllabaries. But they're not different languages, they're used in tandem.

Chinese uses unique characters for each word (and Japanese uses some of these characters). I think average educated Chinese people typically know somewhere around 10-20k characters (I could be wrong but it's thousands).

During the Cultural Revolution in the 50s, mainland China simplified many characters from their "traditional" forms but this was not adopted by Taiwan and Singapore. As a result, there are two ways to write SOME Chinese characters - simplified, used in China, and traditional, used in Taiwan/Singapore. Japanese kanji is very close to traditional but there are a few characters that are slightly different in Japanese. But for all intents and purposes, traditional.

As for spoken language, Mandarin and Cantonese are the main dialects but there exist many, many, many dialects of Chinese https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_varieties_of_Chinese. Even cities have their own dialects that are not spoken outside of a very small area. e.g. people in Shanghai city speak Shanghainese, but when I met some of my coworkers who were from just 45 minutes outside of Shanghai, they were speaking a very, very similar dialect but one that I couldn't understand at all. My Shanghainese fluency isn't very good, but I can usually understand some listening. Couldn't make out what they were saying at all - and that's less than an hour apart.

In some parts of the country, even when people are speaking Mandarin, their accents are so thick that it's still incredibly difficult to understand, if at all.

At the end of the day, many people not from Beijing area or Guangzhou area speak at least either Mandarin or Cantonese + a local dialect.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tarezax posted:

The UK also has dialects of English that are near mutually unintelligible, but from the meme perspective apparently that's different for 'unity' purposes. because they're white :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV5HyPKf0xA

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

The fun thing to do is when people start getting upset that immigrants wear weird clothes have a strange religion don't speak English and refused to assimilate with the surrounding culture is to tell the person they have just described the Amish

Lol I'm going to mention this next chance I get

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Most chinese "dialects" are completely separate languages. Not only are cantonese and mandarin unintelligible, cantonese is merely the prestige dialect of the yue language/group, some of which are further from cantonese than say, spanish from french. And yue and mandarin are merely the two largest groups.

However, the use of a character-based writing system means that, as I understand it, written language is largely comprehensible across various languages.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 7, 2020

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Now I'm wondering how typing works. Is the keyboard phonic and you type out transliterations? Do those get turned into characters?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mondian posted:

Whenever I see this poo poo I can't help but think of that Izzard skit

"Two languages in one head? No one can live at that speed.

There is some truth to the first part in this.
To learn second languages its best to get them started before age 12, when the brain is still right to learn them.
In the UK we only start learning around about age 12, when its a bit too late. So we find it harder to take on.
And even then we make it optional, which most abandon after 2-3 years.
So we learn just really basic french/german/spanish/latin and think we are hot poo poo ordering a tin opener in a loud voice in Ibiza.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jee voo dray un over-bite silver plate.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm sure based on this logic we're all fluent in several Native American dialects.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Guavanaut posted:

The UK also has dialects of English that are near mutually unintelligible, but from the meme perspective apparently that's different for 'unity' purposes. because they're white :ssh:

Don't worry though, anyone with a strong (or even weak) regional accent will still be considered backwards and inferior, and so can be discriminated against by the perfectly 'normally' spoken elite of the metropole, even with the shared skin tone. It's as if it is all lovely better than thou hierarchies all the way down. .

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I mean, Hott Fuzz had that whole bit where the City Cop can't understand the old farmer guy and has to call in his partner to translate.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
The whole thing is particularly funny to remember whenever seeing posts from hardcore Trumpies, since they're almost invariably incoherent and display stunning incompetence with the English language.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I mean, Hott Fuzz had that whole bit where the City Cop can't understand the old farmer guy and has to call in his partner to translate.

You mean the one eight posts above yours?

Guavanaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV5HyPKf0xA

:colbert:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Now I'm wondering how typing works. Is the keyboard phonic and you type out transliterations? Do those get turned into characters?

I do that for Mandarin, dunno if there's any typing schemes for Cantonese. I know there's other typing schemes but I only know how to use the pinyin-based ones.

Actually, on smartphones you can use a drawing interface to draw out the character directly, too.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

HootTheOwl posted:

Chinese has a clear romanization system called "pinyin" which is used for typing. Looks like this when you're typing: https://imgur.com/Jnq2lVh

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
look america has one language and if you can't speak it you should go back to your own country to do your "sign language", comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PeterCat posted:

in one of his essays, Ben Franklin goes off on a whole rant about the unintegrated swarthy Germans