Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah Dana Howl is great, although sometimes I get a little freaked out by the long, super close-ups. I'm not sure if she does it often but in the recent 40k video there was like 1 minute ultra closeup when she was talking about how it's not bad to like spacemarines in and of itself, but also hey they are white burly dudes so how about some representation (which is a good take, btw). It gives me that same vibe you get when someone maintains eye contact for too long.
That’s part of what makes her videos so funny for me :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I painted this fancy magic man.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Spanish Manlove posted:

I actually got that vallejo kit a while ago in order to try them out. I love the dropper bottles and all the paints have really good coverage. The metal colors in there are pretty bad, I highly suggest supplementing it with the GW metals or the Vallejo "Metal Color" line

Also the GW washes (for recess shading and stuff) are some of the best. Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade are going to be necessary at some point, except if you want to paint terrain where it's much better to make your own washes.

When I got back into things I got a pack of these kolinsky brushes which I've used for almost everything that involved paint. And of those I've just used the 4 and 2 sizes for base coats then details, respectively. Super small brushes may seem like a cool idea but it's easier and more efficient to use a very sharp brush for detail than a micro brush. For priming, washes, basing, drybrushing, varnishing etc I use a dirt cheap set of brushes I got at the supermarket as I can just beat those up and not give a poo poo.

If you're really not sure if you'll get into the hobby and you're dead set on following GW paint colours to make matching official paint schemes easier, then go with that GW starting box. Just keep in mind that you generally get way more bang for your buck if you buy Vallejo paints, both in terms of sheer quantity and the fact that their dropper bottles will preserve paint longer, as well as non-GW brushes. You can always find charts that will make matching Vallejo paints to GW paints easy.

It'll cost you a bit more, but here are my recommendation for getting the most bang for your buck in starting with the modelling side of Warhammer 40K:

- Buy any relatively cheap sable brushes you can find and make sure you follow basic brush cleaning. You shouldn't have to spend more than $10 per brush for getting started, and you probably only need two (size 0 or 1 and 2 would probably be good), so let's say $20.

- Buy a selection of individual paints or a Vallejo paint set that basically match what you want up to about $30-40 worth.

- Buy Army Painter's Strong Tone and and Flesh Wash as well as Vallejo's airbrush flow improver. These washes are just as good as GW's equivalent washes (Nuln Oil, etc.) but are cheaper and, when combined with flow improver, are incredibly good. I think this should run you $25-30

- Buy the Easy Build Intercessor squad for $15

In total you spend a little over $100, but you get enough painting stuff to last you a good while that will importantly allow you to improve and produce really good results with some practice.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 6, 2020

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Friendship ended with FLAGSTONE

Now
MARBLE
is my
best friend

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Verisimilidude posted:

Lol glad I'm not the only one who finds Miniac not funny at all. It makes me not watch his videos!

Same - he has some good content though, so you kind of just suck it up on the not funny part because he actually has production value and good content, which is rare despite the proliferation of painting vids. Dana Howl is delivering a particular type of awkward humor, but she's doing it well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What do you guys for paint organizers? I've always just thrown my bottles in drawers and dig through them / leave the colors I'm using for my current army out on my desk. But as I amass more and more stuff / airbrush booth this is no longer particularly feasible.

I also want to get some shelves and bins to store boxes, sprues bits and other miscellaneous things but ugh so much money.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sab669 posted:

What do you guys for paint organizers? I've always just thrown my bottles in drawers and dig through them / leave the colors I'm using for my current army out on my desk. But as I amass more and more stuff / airbrush booth this is no longer particularly feasible.

I also want to get some shelves and bins to store boxes, sprues bits and other miscellaneous things but ugh so much money.
I just got a clear acrylic serving tray that I keep all my frequently-used paints on, as well as my palette, brushes, and whatever models I’m working on. So I can just grab it off the shelf and start painting right away

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Sab669 posted:

I just got this for my paints. Stores about a dozen standard dropper bottles per tray and there are six trays, so roughly 72 bottles. No storage for anything else, though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Friendship ended with FLAGSTONE

Now
MARBLE
is my
best friend

I'd hire you to base all my models if i could

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sab669 posted:

Search for "Alcohol Ink storage" on Amazon or your favorite search engine. Alcohol Ink is used in scrapbooking, the bottles are the same size as standard dropper bottles, and there are tons of different options for storage (scrapbookers are even more obsessive than mini's painters).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sab669 posted:

I use an aromatherapy carry case from Amazon, it can hold 108 of the standard 17ml dropper bottles, which are the exact same diameter as the 15ml glass dropper bottles used for essential oils.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Karnegal posted:

Same - he has some good content though, so you kind of just suck it up on the not funny part because he actually has production value and good content, which is rare despite the proliferation of painting vids.

Yeah, the guy has good stuff when he's actually painting, but my god his entire weird 'comedy' persona feels like ploy so he can get close enough to strangle your cat. Patrick Bateham motherfucker.

MeinPanzer posted:

If you're really not sure if you'll get into the hobby and you're dead set on following GW paint colours to make matching official paint schemes easier, then go with that GW starting box. Just keep in mind that you generally get way more bang for your buck if you buy Vallejo paints, both in terms of sheer quantity and the fact that their dropper bottles will preserve paint longer, as well as non-GW brushes. You can always find charts that will make matching Vallejo paints to GW paints easy.

It'll cost you a bit more, but here are my recommendation for getting the most bang for your buck in starting with the modelling side of Warhammer 40K:

Good write up but It's worth noting that if you are coming in to the hobby fresh there is certainly utility in being able to just follow the GW guids. And that while GW paint pots are pretty poo poo, Vallejo (dropper pots in general) have their own downsides.

Dropper bottles tend to preserve paint longer, but they also make it harder to reactivate a paint that's separated in the pot (Vallejo do this a lot). Tightening the cap too far can split the dropper nozzle which leads to paint leaking in small amounts. And once a dropper pot starts to run low, or if the nozzle becomes obstructed, you can end up with random shots of paint splattering everywhere when you try to get a drop out.

It's swings and roundabouts and everyone should go back to soft plastic flat top bottles.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Dropper bottles tend to preserve paint longer, but they also make it harder to reactivate a paint that's separated in the pot (Vallejo do this a lot). Tightening the cap too far can split the dropper nozzle which leads to paint leaking in small amounts. And once a dropper pot starts to run low, or if the nozzle becomes obstructed, you can end up with random shots of paint splattering everywhere when you try to get a drop out.

It's swings and roundabouts and everyone should go back to soft plastic flat top bottles.

poo poo, is this why my metallics leak so badly?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sab669 posted:

Essential oil cases are really cool for these. A goon (kozmonaut ?) posted about it a while ago and I got one to hold/organize my paints. Its hilariously perfect to hold/organize everything. I have it roughly ROYGBIV-metal organized and I can find the exact color/paint every time I need it. I don't have a dedicated workspace so I keep all the tools in a sterilite box that I bring out from the closet when I want to paint. So having a paint case is super handy for this.

But if you're a normal human with a dedicated workspace and are looking for a shelf solution: Spice Racks.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nail polish racks work really well too, fits everything from the 17ml droppers up to the big Vallejo Metal Color bottles. You can get cheap racks made of acrylic for like $5 or so, though you might need more than one if you've got a ton of paints.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I would like to take better pictures of my plastic army mans. Is there a small photobox/light thing people recommend? I was just going to get something cheap from Amazon.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKWS866/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one some time ago. I didn't use it a ton before I sold all my stuff thinking I was no longer interested in the hobby, but I didn't really have any complaints. It was a tad flimsy, I guess, but I mean $20 for something that is just going to stay in place on my desk that didn't really concern me. Mine did not come with the different colored clothes shown, though.

Here's an album of some of the first minis I photographed with it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3i5NBVsmHpQRxQxa8 definitely didn't perfect my technique, but I thought it did a fair job of minimizing shadows

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 6, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Nail polish racks work really well too, fits everything from the 17ml droppers up to the big Vallejo Metal Color bottles. You can get cheap racks made of acrylic for like $5 or so, though you might need more than one if you've got a ton of paints.

You can get like 200 dropper bottles on this bad boy if you use the middle bits too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torquemada posted:

You can get like 200 dropper bottles on this bad boy if you use the middle bits too.

Oh momma. I assume it rotates, too? This looks sweet.

I'm essentially converting my dining room that never gets used because I live alone into a painting room, so right now I'm limited on space and have been looking for more vertical solutions rather than putting a few of those nail polish racks next to each other. This looks perfect

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I love the impcat app so much. I spent some time playing around with the palette I have, trying to recreate the feel I think I'm going for. I like the middle scheme the most so far because it reminds me of the bold colored Metroid fungal jungle levels. I went with orange to try and recreate the bright spike fungus look but I'm not sure if it translates well to the models themselves. Of course this is all assuming I can even recreate something as clean as the app results.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I like the last one. It looks more balanced? The face is definitely better on it as well.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I struggled getting the look I wanted on the eyes. I think the last one is the only one I managed to get close to the glowing look I was going for. Or the others blanked out the eye slots. I don't know what to do with weapons yet, but it's a start.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 6, 2020

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
My technicals came yesterday.

Tesseract, the waystone, soulstone and spiritstone.

Tess took some getting used to. I wasn't anticipating it being so thin out of the pot, so I compensated but then didn't anticipate it drying as bright as it did. So some playing with it will have to be done.

The Stone ones though - holy hell. If you're doing Eldar or anything that needs that shine and haven't tried these, do it.

They went on over base colours of the same, because I had used bases to finish the model before they came. But the shine they left was awesome. The red covered over other red and did it's job so well it's noticeable that there's a red gem stone in the red armour.

*Gush over*

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spiv posted:

Tess took some getting used to. I wasn't anticipating it being so thin out of the pot, so I compensated but then didn't anticipate it drying as bright as it did. So some playing with it will have to be done.

The Stone ones though - holy hell. If you're doing Eldar or anything that needs that shine and haven't tried these, do it.

They went on over base colours of the same, because I had used bases to finish the model before they came. But the shine they left was awesome. The red covered over other red and did it's job so well it's noticeable that there's a red gem stone in the red armour.

*Gush over*

I've been cheating and I use those stone glows as lenses on the tau.

The trick is you put a metallic underneath and then apply the stone glow over it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the worst thing about mini painting in NZ is seeing a model you want and it literally being unavailable anywhere near you, and shipping is $40 by itself

no this isn't a specific gripe why are you asking

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Took this photo and realized I can’t find the 10th skeleton warrior. He’ll turn up eventually!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Spiv posted:

*Gush over*

I'm glad I saw this post as I was about 2 hours from starting to paint probably a dozen gems on my test wraithguard's back vane. Now to order some paint!

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I got some more Orks done for the eventual day i can go play a game of 40k in person.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Tried out painting a stripe on a drone again. This time it's one of the stealth drones that hang around with the ghostkeel. It was a little tricky because it's not really a flat area as there's some curvy bits.

Looks like the drone is getting prepped for surgery

drat. I missed a spot. Oh well it was easy to touch up.

And all scuffed up with some sponging. Also a shot at the eye lens thing up front. It will never ever be noticed on a tabletop but I paint all of these little things on the drones on each side. But it makes me happy so I paint them.

Edit: also check out the new water jug I got from Vallejo

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 7, 2020

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014
Can anybody give me a rundown on how to get new files onto impcat on an iPad, I can’t figure out the instructions that impcat gives

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Silver John posted:

Can anybody give me a rundown on how to get new files onto impcat on an iPad, I can’t figure out the instructions that impcat gives

Save the .svg file in Impcat's Image_template folder

Here's the most up-to-date library of models that I know of:

https://mega.nz/folder/T19wwSyT#4SMrkOuvzP-jsuaTpufFlQ

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Stripey drones

Lookin good! though think you gave yourself more work than you needed to, personally for the armiger a few posts up i just did some strips of electrical tape and used a brush, gives you more control imo

Speaking of armiger - light weathering or none?

Also made an attempt at barrel blueing

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oooh that's nice, what did you use to get the blue-ish effect on the muzzle tips? Usually I just go with darker bronze then dark brown/black at the tip but I like what you have there.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

tangy yet delightful posted:

Oooh that's nice, what did you use to get the blue-ish effect on the muzzle tips? Usually I just go with darker bronze then dark brown/black at the tip but I like what you have there.

Thanks :) its a chainmail base with 2 coats of blue ink over the top, middle is pink contrast and yellow is also an ink, all the really old white top gw paints other than the contrast

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've been cheating and I use those stone glows as lenses on the tau.

The trick is you put a metallic underneath and then apply the stone glow over it

Contrast looks well for this, too. I do my marine lenses with a basecoat of vallejo silver and then talassar blue or green over it. The contrast paints are very transluscent, so the effect is a tinted bright metallic sheen.

Also a good way to get low effort plasma gun glow.

Modeled here by a old scout and an even older lumpy rogue trader marine.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

working mom posted:

Lookin good! though think you gave yourself more work than you needed to, personally for the armiger a few posts up i just did some strips of electrical tape and used a brush, gives you more control imo

Speaking of armiger - light weathering or none?

Also made an attempt at barrel blueing

That barrel bluing looks Rad As gently caress. I personally feel that some light weathering would go well with that on your armiger.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
re: Youtube I just sat down and watched a bunch of Marco Frisoni videos and kinda want to just paint with inks and oil now even though I just bought a bunch of acrylics lol

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Eej posted:

re: Youtube I just sat down and watched a bunch of Marco Frisoni videos and kinda want to just paint with inks and oil now even though I just bought a bunch of acrylics lol

I love that enthusiastic son of a bitch, and love inks, but oils means a different set of brushes, paints, thinners… ain’t got time (or space, frankly) for that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Some painters are so far beyond the skill level I have or will likely ever have that their channels are just nice to watch to see a really excellent mini come together. Marco’s got that energy for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Eej posted:

Yeah Marco's paint job on Abaddon is one of the things that made me want to get into Black Legion haha

Absolutely insane