Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Custard Undies posted:

Well there goes Nico's chance at a podium :xd:

ah it's not his massive string of never managing to get on the podium in his whole f1 career its definitely this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

ah it's not his massive string of never managing to get on the podium in his whole f1 career its definitely this

:hmmyes:

Won't argue that point!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Khablam posted:

I mean, this decision also literally proves the whole car is an illegal copy, which is why it was raised.

Wonder how much pappa stroll payed for the blueprints hahaha
It does the opposite.

FIA posted:

To the extend that Racing Point has achieved this by simply photographing components of the Mercedes W10 and reverse engineering them, this is consistent with standard practice (albeit taken to extreme) and no other team could reasonably object.
Basically RP got caught on technicality of one part that become a listed part in the off season.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

lol Renowned

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I was just watching FP1 and they said that Perez tested positive again. Hopefully he stays asymptomatic.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
God help me I found that technical decision very interesting. I think there's a typo in paragraph 12 of the conclusions.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Edit: Didn't make that, but it should probably be McLaren instead of Ferrari.

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 7, 2020

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
i mean mclaren are a fraudulent british team who got caught copying genuine honest italian engineering

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

wow minus fifteen dkp for racing point what a gamechanger

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

It does the opposite.

Basically RP got caught on technicality of one part that become a listed part in the off season.
You're missing the greater point.
They're not running Merc's brake ducts this year. They're running their own, which happen to be identical to last year's Merc, like the rest of the car.
Racing point claim they copied the car from photographs, and showed the FIA some CAD drawings and "work in the margins" which "proves" the car was uniquely designed for them.

The brake ducts became a listed part.
Racing point forgot to make up their CAD drawings for it. Renault got wind (inside man at a guess) that they didn't fudge the CADs for the brake ducts, and protested it as a litmus test that the rest of the car is so made.
They won.

I expect they've got a list of other unique parts they can protest, so now it's a race to see if Racing point can make up their data for any other parts RP claim they're making.
Inside geometry of the airducts, diffusers, that kind of thing.

It's not over.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Hulk 4th fastest.... 6 tenths faster than Stroll

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Custard Undies posted:

Hulk 4th fastest.... 6 tenths faster than Stroll

welp guess his car ain't starting

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

bad, bad pink guys!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

best wacing technowogy

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

tuo posted:

bad, bad pink guys!

That's the fbd which they ran a similar version of last year.

The rbd is the one that really caught them out as they never ran the merc design last year.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How different do any of them others look though?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rebus posted:

That's the fbd which they ran a similar version of last year.

The rbd is the one that really caught them out as they never ran the merc design last year.

I just remembered that pic/comparission from this year's winter testing. There's another one without the shroud, which at least shows that wiring to sensors etc. seems to be different.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
nm

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

kinda different.

I think if the Racing Point would be somewhere at the back (like Haas, usually running a car inspired by last year's Ferrari) maybe no one would have protested (of course they would, it's F1). The RP20 might just be pushing it too much.

e: here's the one Rebus designed:

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 7, 2020

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've just had a look through the photos available to me - all other teams brake ducts and wheels are staggeringly different.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The FIA is such an idiotic organization

Tracing point should be dsq from the 3 races where Renault entered the inquiry and force them to change the copied brake ducts.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Mercedes should get punished for helping them do it imo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

presumably they can't carry on using them?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Not at all, the car is technically legal and can continue. The report says they were fined points that should be worth the advantage of the rear brake ducts being designed by Mercedes.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuckin lol.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A damming stat

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

holy, lol

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

what a bull sucking stat

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Ferrari should be punished

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i shouldn't think they're particularly enjoying themselves

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I was going to say lol isn’t this the same thing today but Grosjean? I guess they’re not yelling because he’s being lapped but still

Grosjean is way above Groulliard. The late 80s backmarkers were atrocious.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

The Puppet Master posted:

rip Pink Mercedes we hardly knew you

Bullshit.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:yeah:

Hope he keeps it up in Haas' last year in F1

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

ferrari pissing all over the track

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The ultimate Ferrari experience

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Seb looking into how he can get one of those positive covid tests.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Racing Point, funnily enough, got caught out by a loophole in the rules. They got the brake ducts from Mercedes last year when it was perfectly legal to do so and then made modifications to them and put the modified versions on their car for this year.

That was enough for Renault to say "Aha, but that means they've used a part they didn't design this year!" despite their "knowledge" of the part being gained last year without breaking any rules. The FIA acknowledged that you can't "unlearn" how to make a good brake duct. So had Racing Point thrown their modified version on the car for the last race of the 2019 season they'd have been absolutely fine this year. That's also why the FIA is letting the car carry on racing as-is cos you can't exactly tell them to go away and make worse brake ducts.

Y'all acting like it was some clandestine operation with blueprints being handed over in briefcases by men in dark glasses. It literally says in the report that Mercedes gave them a pair of 2019 brake ducts to look at lol

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Ehhhh but didn't the brake ducts they bought last year also contain valuable data not surrounding the brake ducts itself but the things it mated with?