Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t even know why Apple leaves it up to the developers. Minecraft has a keyboard options page but the game does not recognize my $180 “smart” keyboard as a valid keyboard. I’m assuming it wouldn’t recognize the $300 “magic” keyboard as a keyboard either.

Hah I was specifically bitching about Minecraft with that post. Things like FTL and XCOM would also be so good with proper MKB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t even know why Apple leaves it up to the developers. Minecraft has a keyboard options page but the game does not recognize my $180 “smart” keyboard as a valid keyboard. I’m assuming it wouldn’t recognize the $300 “magic” keyboard as a keyboard either.

Who else could implement keyboard support in games if not the developers?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Apple could add an app guideline that every UI element needs to be mapped to a keyboard press. If they did so then Apple would not be leaving it up to developers.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That sounds like a nightmare.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Love to be typing things and have UI elements randomly get activated.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just tried the new handwriting feature in iPadOS 14 and this thing is pretty drat amazing. I’m using the App Store version of Drafts which is text only and has nothing implemented to support the handwriting feature but It Just Works, and it works really well. It understands my chicken scratches (print), my poor excuse for cursive, and my usual mixture of print scribbles and cursive together. And the way it works is you just start writing anywhere there is a text input area and it takes over from there—you don’t need to stay within the input area (you can write anywhere on the screen and it’ll go into the text input field). Scratching out text to erase is works as expected. I wish there were gestures to insert spaces and new lines though (there is only the extremely tiny small buttons on the floating Pencil menu).
I thought there was something for insert space, vaguely recalling some youtube videos I saw on it a few weeks ago. Might be a new line thing too for all I know.

Boris Galerkin posted:

iOS 14 brings official support for mouse/KB for games, vs whatever method devs are doing now.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

japtor posted:

I thought there was something for insert space, vaguely recalling some youtube videos I saw on it a few weeks ago. Might be a new line thing too for all I know.

Draw a quick line up or down in the line of text to add or remove a space. Unaware of a new line yet.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

piratepilates posted:

Does anyone have any book-specific reading apps? I tried a couple of epub books in Chunky but it only seemed to render the images and no text. If the default Books app is the best one then I can live with it.

Marvin 3 has more epub reading features than I imagine needing, and it’s easy to download books to it from calibre. I really appreciate being able to adjust margins and paragraph/line spacing, which the Books app can’t do.

It can also open CBZ/CBR comics files, but is probably not as good at it as the dedicated comics apps are.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Marvin is the gold standard for ebooks on iOS.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Last Chance posted:

What I mean was that Minecraft already supports keyboards. It’s been implemented already and there is a freaking options page to configure keyboard controls.

Since they’ve already implemented keyboard controls, then it should be up to iOS to handle everything. iOS should be sending the commands over to Minecraft who shouldn’t care if the commands came from a virtual keyboard, magic keyboard, or keyboard vis Bluetooth, or USB-C. I’m just assuming that Minecraft has code that says “if magic keyboard: then do nothing” because it doesn’t make sense otherwise.

japtor posted:

iOS 14 brings official support for mouse/KB for games, vs whatever method devs are doing now.

I thought iOS 13 brought keyboard and mouse support?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 2, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

gyrf posted:

Marvin 3 has more epub reading features than I imagine needing, and it’s easy to download books to it from calibre. I really appreciate being able to adjust margins and paragraph/line spacing, which the Books app can’t do.

It can also open CBZ/CBR comics files, but is probably not as good at it as the dedicated comics apps are.

withak posted:

Marvin is the gold standard for ebooks on iOS.

word. I'll give this a try, thanks!, to everyone.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
E: I was wrong, there is a straight conversion feature! Really looking forward to it and I hope it works in OneNote.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 2, 2020

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Got an 11" ipad pro yesterday, and I spent a bunch of time trying out different cbz comic readers. If you have a big collection, I think that yacreader is probably the best because of its smoothly operating plex-like ability. You run yacreader-library on your PC (or NAS), snap a picture of a QR code with your ipad's camera, and it connects up to serve the comics from your PC. Chunky can stream from a server program called ubooquity, which I tried as well, but it feels like more of an afterthought and doesn't work as smoothly. Navigating a file structure with yacreader is just better. Yacreader can also autocrop and such, just llike chunky.

The 11" is nice for its aspect ratio for manga viewing. Most manga pages have an aspect ratio of 1.422 or 1.429. The 11" pro's aspect ratio of 1.432 is nearly dead on, which wastes very little screen space. You basically have one dead column of pixels on each side of the screen, and that is it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
What I'd really like is just an ebook/comic reader that will sync with a folder without me having to go actively downloading files into the app. It seems like every one I've looked at has that extra step, but it's a terminal annoyance every time I've tried it so far.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Roadie posted:

What I'd really like is just an ebook/comic reader that will sync with a folder without me having to go actively downloading files into the app. It seems like every one I've looked at has that extra step, but it's a terminal annoyance every time I've tried it so far.

I use it for PDFs of scientific articles, but Documents by Readdle pulls from Dropbox or Box (or probably other options) and can keep shared folders synced to the iPad

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How much battery babying does the Pencil 2 need, anyway? My three weeks of vacation are over, I just plugged in my iPad for it to be ready for work tomorrow and threw the pencil on it. Said the battery was discharged to 0%. I figured, better be safe and look it up on the web, people on the Apple forum are already going like "OMG you can't let it sit at 0% for more than 3-4 days". What's the truth? It charges and still seems to work, but I sure would like for it to survive quite a while, considering what it costs. It wasn't discharged the whole three weeks, but it ran out at some unknown point.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I have a Pencil 1 that I got with my Pro 10.5 when it was new. I rarely use the iPad, and I use the pencil even less, so it’ll sit at 0% for months at a time.

It still charges up and works normally every time I use it.

Assuming it’s a lithium ion battery, it really shouldn’t matter much. Battery issues are either charge cycles or time breaking down the chemicals inside, sitting empty for a while won’t accelerate that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also Apple fudges on their battery percentages. 0% isn’t really 0% and 100% isn’t really 100%

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm looking at Smart Covers for my 10.2" 7th gen iPad, and some sites list the 10.5" iPad Air smart covers as being compatible. Is that true? Example: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Sm...6?selected=true

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

frogbs posted:

I'm looking at Smart Covers for my 10.2" 7th gen iPad, and some sites list the 10.5" iPad Air smart covers as being compatible. Is that true? Example: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Sm...6?selected=true

The bodies are the same size, so yeah, it should unless they put the batteries in different places.

But more importantly, if you go the manufacturer's website, it is called "Smart Cover for iPad (7th generation) and iPad Air (3rd generation)"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Just got a 12" Pro, quick charging question. Can I use any USB-C cable or do I need to use the one included (TB 3?)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Just got a 12" Pro, quick charging question. Can I use any USB-C cable or do I need to use the one included (TB 3?)

Any will work.

I use A-C ones as well they just charge slower.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Any will work.

I use A-C ones as well they just charge slower.

cool, thanks

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
My extra Switch wall charger works crazy good. I just hope I’m not slowly killing the iPad since the switch has all those weird power things with it. I’m hoping Apple put a pretty good power conditioner in the iPad.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

iPad pro 12.9 is the best tv I've ever bought. The speakers on it are great. And I like how taking out an airrpod automatically pauses things.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I like all those engravings then..." Pencil" :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I finally broke down and bought a magic keyboard. It is super loving nice, the track bar is good, and is all around a pretty good thing to use with the iPad. I just don’t feel it plays nice with my prior pencil focused use for note taking and the idea of constantly detaching from the keyboard then going back to it sounds... unappealing when I’ve managed to have both options available at any time when using the Smart Keyboard. I’ll have to play with it for a week or so to really get some good use out of it but right now I’m leaning on returning it.

They keyboard is super nice, though!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd be more interested in the magic keyboard if it worked with the smart folio.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
App Library is not in the current beta of iPadOS 14.

Has anyone seen any statements from Apple about this? Do they plan to add it later or is this an iPhone-only “feature” like “calculator”?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

dexter6 posted:

App Library is not in the current beta of iPadOS 14.

Has anyone seen any statements from Apple about this? Do they plan to add it later or is this an iPhone-only “feature” like “calculator”?

App Library and always-on homescreen widgets are not a part of iPadOS 14. Guess we learned why they split up iOS and iPadOS lol

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Last Chance posted:

App Library and always-on homescreen widgets are not a part of iPadOS 14. Guess we learned why they split up iOS and iPadOS lol
Feedback submitted!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Last Chance posted:

sorry, just to be clear, the device with 10 to 13 inches of usable screen space is the one that's not getting homescreen widgets

loving hate this company

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

abraham linksys posted:

sorry, just to be clear, the device with 10 to 13 inches of usable screen space is the one that's not getting homescreen widgets

loving hate this company

Aren’t they coming to Macs? (lol rip since like 2007 dashboard widgets)

I’m p sure they’re coming to iPad. Is somebody at Apple officially saying they’re not?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Aren’t they coming to Macs? (lol rip since like 2007 dashboard widgets)

I’m p sure they’re coming to iPad. Is somebody at Apple officially saying they’re not?

You only get them on the sidebar in iPad os, not on the homescreen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

You only get them on the sidebar in iPad os, not on the homescreen.

Eh that prolly changes in a year or two. Sidebar’s fine right? We’re going from zero widgets right now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Eh that prolly changes in a year or two. Sidebar’s fine right? We’re going from zero widgets right now.

I mean we already had widgets in iOS 13. They’re in the side bar as well, and they are much better than iOS 14 widgets because they can actually be interacted with. So we are going from fully featured widgets down to static picture widgets that can’t be interacted with.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean we already had widgets in iOS 13. They’re in the side bar as well, and they are much better than iOS 14 widgets because they can actually be interacted with. So we are going from fully featured widgets down to static picture widgets that can’t be interacted with.

We got widgets in iOS 13?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

We got widgets in iOS 13?

I don’t know if it was iOS 13 or earlier but yes there are widgets in iOS 13 that can be pinned in the sidebar just like how iOS 14 widgets can be pinned. Except that the old widgets are interactive and can control their respective apps while the new ones can’t.

E: The new widgets on the iPhone are fine because the old widgets were tucked away in the today view so I hardly used them ever. So there it feels like I’m gaining new functionality. On iPad though I had useful widgets pinned that have functionality that will be removed when they jump to the new style widgets.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 7, 2020

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

loving hate this company

APPLE: the iPad is a Real Computer now, because it runs Real Pro Apps like Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office

ALSO APPLE: sorry you can't use any of our own pro apps - Xcode, Final Cut Pro, Logic - on the iPad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do the pencils ever go on sale? I would like to get one for my pro before iPadOS 14 drops. The writing into text box feature sounds awesome.