Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

the sex ghost posted:

I only watch football for the deals

I enjoy football through transfer rumors and xstats of predicted performances. It turns out that watching football is actually unnecessary and frankly uncouth in light of advanced stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
You haven’t lived until you put the perfect formula into an excel spreadsheet and see that cell populate with the information that Manchester United have won the xLeague with xPoints based on all the xG they scored.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

You haven’t lived until you put the perfect formula into an excel spreadsheet and see that cell populate with the information that Manchester United have won the xLeague with xPoints based on all the xG they scored.

Did you pick on our xG because your xGA puts you in the loving xBIN?

West007
Apr 21, 2013

My United prediction is they will most certainly not sign Sancho after Ed keeps offering 69 mil. They will then sign Marouane Fellaini on deadline day.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
curious as to what big marouane's been up to lately, it turns out he cut his hair, got the modern plague and got better, and found out that being tall is super effective in china: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTBXrz96pko

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For people that actually watch the championship. What sort of level is ollie watkins?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

curious as to what big marouane's been up to lately, it turns out he cut his hair, got the modern plague and got better, and found out that being tall is super effective in china: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTBXrz96pko

I mean he's always been very good at elbowing chins

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jippa posted:

For people that actually watch the championship. What sort of level is ollie watkins?

He was a bit average as an attacking midfielder in previous seasons but has had a Michu-like emergence playing as a 9 after they lost Maupay. Scored a lot of goals but when you watch them there's a lot of extremely Championship defending happening, plenty of tap-ins from 5 yards with no defender within a mile. Benrahma's been their key danger man, Watkins just scores the goals.

Good enough to step up and try his hand in the PL, but he's no obvious superstar bargain at £18m. He's Brewster but bigger, stronger, faster and far more useful in build up play. Also extremely dirty which Championship refs ignore.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

sassassin posted:

Benrahma's been their key danger man, Watkins just scores the goals.

Just like when Leeds signed 25 goal a season Billy Paynter from Swindon and overlooked the fact that it was a young Charlie Austin teeing him up for every goal. What a laugh that was

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

sassassin posted:

He was a bit average as an attacking midfielder in previous seasons but has had a Michu-like emergence playing as a 9 after they lost Maupay. Scored a lot of goals but when you watch them there's a lot of extremely Championship defending happening, plenty of tap-ins from 5 yards with no defender within a mile. Benrahma's been their key danger man, Watkins just scores the goals.

Good enough to step up and try his hand in the PL, but he's no obvious superstar bargain at £18m. He's Brewster but bigger, stronger, faster and far more useful in build up play. Also extremely dirty which Championship refs ignore.

Cheers.

e - For content.

https://twitter.com/DomC0801/status/1291015871075422209

Jippa fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 6, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alexis to Inter is a DONE DEAL. Good riddance to one of the worst transfers of all time.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1291299081013342214

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

CyberPingu posted:

I mean he's always been very good at elbowing chins

:eyepop:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Der Shovel posted:

Alexis to Inter is a DONE DEAL. Good riddance to one of the worst transfers of all time.

No idea what you're talking about...

https://twitter.com/oilysailor/status/1291302532241915905?s=11

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I don't know how trustworthy Kicker are as a source, but I do know that Ed Woodward is a complete clown so this rings true.

quote:

Manchester United told their closest media that they’d walk away from a deal if Borussia Dortmund don’t reduce their €120m asking price. Then Borussia Dortmund hit back by saying there’s been no contact, either direct or through intermediaries, and that they expect Sancho to travel to their Swiss training camp on Monday.

Kicker cover the situation in their magazine this week, and they insist the Premier League club are setting themselves up for a ‘fundamental error’ if their plan is to wait for Dortmund to drop the price.

The Bundesliga club are being ‘hard’ over the transfer and ‘compromises are obviously impossible’. Kicker add: ‘Manchester either agrees to handle the transfer on the terms dictated by Dortmund by August 10th – the start of the training camp in Bad Ragaz (Switzerland) – or there is no deal.’

At Dortmund they assume that ‘in the next few days’ Manchester United will turn up with an offer ‘well below’ the €120m. That’s so ‘negotiator Ed Woodward would save face with coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the United fans’. It’s not the first time that slant has been given in Germany, and they clearly don’t have a lot of confidence in United’s willingness to pay the fee required.

Kicker say Woodward could then present himself as ‘having tried everything‘ and ‘failed heroically’ due to Dortmund being unreasonable.

Meanwhile, there’s complete ‘serenity’ at BVB, where they believe they’ll still be able to get a good fee for Sancho next summer, despite his contract situation.

Reminder that the previous times Woodward tried to play hardball...

- He ended up signing Maguire for the original asking price several months later
- He ended up signing Wan-Bissaka weeks later for the original asking price
- He ended up signing Fernandes in January for far more than he would have cost in August (55m euros in August vs 55m euros + 20 million euros in easy addons in January, a triumph so big Sporting Lissabon released a press release celebrating the mugging after the deal was completed)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 6, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

now these are the advanced stats I crave

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
"If you don't lower your price on this player you'd probably rather keep hold of we won't buy him" *slams down phone*

Ed you've done it again

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I have to imagine that message meant they won’t be signing anyone because they’re poor, but yeah it will be an incredibly bad look when they sack normal people and pay Willian 300k a week.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Whole thing smells like people with significant financial vested interests are trying to consolidate their control of transfers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I believe the Arsenal players genuinely care about the club staff. Shows like Sunderland 'til I Die and the Amazon shows have made it pretty clear that the backroom staff and players often have very close relationships, and both parties care about each other a great deal.

Maybe not the marketing team specifically, but I would assume it's easy to feel like they're part of the same family, and be upset when your billionaire owner decides to sack dozens of them with the excuse that he needs the pittance to pay for players.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

I don't know how trustworthy Kicker are as a source, but I do know that Ed Woodward is a complete clown so this rings true.

- He ended up signing Maguire for the original asking price several months later
- He ended up signing Fernandes in January for far more than he would have cost in August (55m euros in August vs 55m euros + 20 million euros in easy addons in January, a triumph so big Sporting Lissabon released a press release celebrating the mugging after the deal was completed)

Even if United have the money, is it worth buying one player for 120 mil?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

West007 posted:

Ask Barca :troll:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

West007 posted:

It's a difficult situation, because attack is the area where United are the strongest, but it's also an area where they have very little depth. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood have to play all game every game if United want to get goals. That's a recipe for disaster, so getting some quality options would be good, and quality doesn't come cheap.

A right winger is also the attacking player United need the most, because the current players all do best as central players or left wingers.

But still, considering all the holes that need plugging in the squad, blowing the summer's entire budget on a single attacking player does seem a bit wasteful.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Giving Bournemouth ten minutes to accept an offer for Josh King on deadline day, and having them just shrug it off. Then panicking and accidentally doing the right move by bringing in Ighalo on a loan.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

West007 posted:

Sancho is definitely worth it, yes.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Tottenham have brought in Ledley King to the coaching staff.

gently caress yeah, legend.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

TheRat posted:

Sancho is definitely worth it, yes.

man u will ruin him, as history has told us

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Whole thing smells like people with significant financial vested interests are trying to consolidate their control of transfers.

Yeah, I didn’t realize they were just sacking all of their senior scouting team, so I guess this just means they’re outsourcing their scouting to Kia Joorabchian.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's kinda worked for Wolves I guess?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

everyone loves bringing back former players. Im sure I read somewhere that chelsea want to bring back ivanovic to the coaching staff

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Gerrard says Morelos wants to leave Rangers. Who is in for him?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Eric Cantonese posted:

Gerrard says Morelos wants to leave Rangers. Who is in for him?

Lille. Just sold someone for silly money, step up in terms of prestige.

Although they’re apparently going back and forth on the fee, given the speed with which they got Itten in from St Gallen and Balogun in from Brighton, and managed to keep both quiet for a week, a lot of speculation that the deal is probably already done.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arseblog is claiming that Aubameyang has signed a 3 year extension.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Arseblog is claiming that Aubameyang has signed a 3 year extension.

3 years at £250k for a 31 year old. Guess that means they won’t have a problem giving Willian 3 years either.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Man, how the heck is Auba the same age as Ozil?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

habeasdorkus posted:

Man, how the heck is Auba the same age as Ozil?

All the paranoia and constantly looking over his shoulder has added years to Ozil

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can’t believe Arsenal are announcing a £250k/wk contract days after sacking staff. £70k/wk increase. Guess the news about Arsenal players fuming about the sacking despite agreeing wage cuts can be smoothed over by more cash in their pocket. :capitalism:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Probably needed access to a physio. Good move for him.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Richard Keogh is back from his completely normal injury and contract termination where nothing out of the ordinary happened and he's gone to MK Dons

https://twitter.com/MKDonsFC/status/1291652801169219585

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Xabi posted:

Probably needed access to a physio. Good move for him.

I guess as long as the physio room is wheelchair accessible.

Poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

3 years at £250k for a 31 year old. Guess that means they won’t have a problem giving Willian 3 years either.

I hope they sign coutinho as well and David Luiz plays every game.