Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

akulanization posted:

Her depiction in these stories isn’t an unknowable ineffable being, she hangs out with beggars and monk, commoners and heroes. Her being a god does not preclude her from being an angel or a human.

Well, I mean, Aesma isn't really an unknowable ineffable being either, she's canonically a violent idiot who's learnt exactly one (1) lesson during her existence.

I think all the gods who were featured in stories (except YISUN) were described with flaws and other "human" traits, that's one of the things I like about this whole mythos.

But remember, YISUN is a consummate liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What's worth remembering about stories of the gods is that even if they were literal historical accounts (they're probably not, but still), there's no reason to expect them to be perfectly accurate. Just look at the history Cio's writing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Joe Slowboat posted:

People were very upset about the intentionally unpleasant monk lady’s weird piercings so it’s possible they’re either anti-horny or too horny, it’s impossible to be sure without reading the comments. Which, if I can do, I will not, because I love life.

Tbf even Operant agreed the combat nun was Too Much.

I agree. It crossed the line into just silly. This has nothing in common with combat nun tho.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dozens of people were mulched into paste this chapter but completely non-sexualized nudity for a single panel is a bridge too far.

The internet was a mistake.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Renaissance Robot posted:

What's worth remembering about stories of the gods is that even if they were literal historical accounts (they're probably not, but still), there's no reason to expect them to be perfectly accurate. Just look at the history Cio's writing.

I always read the under comic writing as a mixture of triptychs, folk tales, and religious sermons. They're intended to flesh out the culture of the world and maybe highlight and extrapolate on the themes of the current comic page/arc. Treating them like encyclopedia entries seems entirely against the point.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bussamove posted:

Dozens of people were mulched into paste this chapter but completely non-sexualized nudity for a single panel is a bridge too far.

The internet was a mistake.

i think for pg you can shoot people's entrails off non stop but are only allowed to say "gently caress" one time, and that lightning bolt is prob not covering enough to make rating

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Making war for 7 years: :hmmyes:

Making love for 7 hours: :allbuttons:

but seriously I don't think you can blame the internet for this one, violence good sex bad is a preexisting condition of WASP culture

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 7, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Tbf even Operant agreed the combat nun was Too Much.

I agree. It crossed the line into just silly. This has nothing in common with combat nun tho.

It was the kind of silly I thought K6BD was down with. I'm still disappointed that got changed.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

A.o.D. posted:

It was the kind of silly I thought K6BD was down with. I'm still disappointed that got changed.

What was the original like?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JustaDamnFool posted:

I remember a bondage suit, lots of spikes, rivets and a spiked plate riveted over the crotch. Maybe some nails hammered through into the skin? Can't remember.

Definitely left an impression.

My first thought was "how did her robes not snag on all these spikes?" but that was over thinking it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JustaDamnFool posted:

Have you ever seen a nipple piercing? Well take that and then make it into body armor

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Her outfit was some spiky belts here and there, rest nude. Now it's all belts everywhere as a kind of leather armour.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'll admit, the Giant Cans Reveal was a bit eyebrow raising to me for a sec, but not because I'm a puritan who hates boobs and loves ultraviolence. There's just a history of webcomic authors (edit: to be clear, I am not counting Abbadon in this) being kinda creepily gratuitous about drawing their female characters in sexy poses that causes a kneejerk reaction sometimes. I'm thinking primarily about Aaron Diaz here. He (for example) had a blog post on how you have to draw your characters nude to understand how their bodies work without clothes before you can plausibly draw them clothed, which would be fine... except his only examples were women and I don't think knowing who shaves and who trims their pubes helps you draw clothed charters, but that was definitely information provided by his examples! I don't think Abbadon is an example of this, no matter how many jokes about musclelady fetish etc. anyone might make, but I think a negative reaction to nudity in webcomics might be at least partially a reaction to poo poo like that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The real scandal is drawing a woman in anything other than an ankle length skirt and neck high blouse.

-someone in the 1950s, probably

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

JustaDamnFool posted:

Spoiler for sorta :nws:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I forget, how did that series of events end up curing his senility?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ThingOne posted:

I love this but yeah ok

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

He got so angry at his bank's destruction that he forgot he was supposed to be senile.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

People were very upset about the intentionally unpleasant monk lady’s weird piercings so it’s possible they’re either anti-horny or too horny, it’s impossible to be sure without reading the comments. Which, if I can do, I will not, because I love life.

'Intentionally unpleasant' seems a bit mean. She's just a live-in carer for an OAP who takes her job extremely seriously.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shoehead posted:

I love this but yeah ok

Yeah, it definitely went a tad overboard, looking between the two. I'd have kept the SG-1-style melted-gold 001 though, that's just badass.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

TBH i am a little salty that I can't make one of coolest moments of triumph in this comic into my desktop background without people getting the wrong idea. But that's not a K6BD problem or an Operant problem; it's a society problem.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Having something happen that he actually wanted to think about, instead of many things he wanted to forget, jogged his brain back up into a working gear.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shoehead posted:

I love this but yeah ok

Yeah exactly. That's the exact kind of batshit insane I want to see immediately before a mind blowing two page single panel all out war splash page.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Also having the count ruined in such a way that he can't possibly finish means he got to free up all those brain cycles for smashing the opposition.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Alitur posted:

I meant more in a sense of a liveblog or a live reaction. I am one of weirdos who like watching people enjoy what I enjoy.

This woman did a read through of KSBD book 1 as a commission, but she liked it enough that she's gonna continue the rest after she finishes up FMA:B.

https://www.patreon.com/user/posts?u=7223945

The posts:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/kill-six-billion-39678872
https://www.patreon.com/posts/kill-six-billion-39740556
https://www.patreon.com/posts/kill-six-billion-39822146

Free thread where she posts the stuff after a delay.
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/lets-watch-things-mostly-blind-idk.55194/

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 7, 2020

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'm totally fine with all sorts of poo poo including the mortal nunbat but somehow she kinda out of place. Idk I mean this is a comic with a ton of diversity but it just didn't click somehow?

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019

skaianDestiny posted:

This woman did a read through of KSBD book 1 as a commission, but she liked it enough that she's gonna continue the rest after she finishes up FMA:B.

https://www.patreon.com/user/posts?u=7223945

The posts:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/kill-six-billion-39678872
https://www.patreon.com/posts/kill-six-billion-39740556
https://www.patreon.com/posts/kill-six-billion-39822146

Free thread where she posts the stuff after a delay.
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/lets-watch-things-mostly-blind-idk.55194/

I am one of her patrons, and I have already read through her impressions. This is what introduced me to K6BD, actually.

Are there any other read throughs around?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

the destruction of everything he'd built around himself granted him a deeper understanding of the word Tower, which restored him to something closer to his prime

or, he got so angry he forgot he was blind

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mindblast posted:

I'm totally fine with all sorts of poo poo including the mortal nunbat but somehow she kinda out of place. Idk I mean this is a comic with a ton of diversity but it just didn't click somehow?

I think what it is is it misses its mark and winds up looking more "this is my [001's] fetish" instead of landing at "I am a totally-metal poo poo-kicker, and you are proper hosed", which the redesign does a much better job of portraying.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I quite liked the reveal that the beatific saint of the count was at least three times less reasonable than anyone else present, complete with mortification of the flesh, a ton of infected piercings, and Metal Hurlant style combat bikini. The new version is fine but nowhere near as jarring and that’s a loss from my perspective.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Alitur posted:

I am one of her patrons, and I have already read through her impressions. This is what introduced me to K6BD, actually.

Are there any other read throughs around?

Managed to find this: https://krixwell-liveblogs.com/2019/04/07/patreon-bonus-kill-six-billion-demons-ch-1-2/amp/

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I always thought this review was an interesting take on queerness in KSBD. I'd love to see an update on it, to see what the reviewer thought of how Operant's taken critiques on board and developed his work as time goes on.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ThingOne posted:

Wait, has this panel been revised twice? I saw a link to the page itself in the comments on the Yes Homo review and the new version isn't what I remember, either; I distinctly remember seeing her torso covered but I don't remember there being as much coverage on her arms & legs.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

ThingOne posted:

cold take but those commenters were boring and this was a serve

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
From the second liveblog I linked:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

skaianDestiny posted:

:eyepop:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

skaianDestiny posted:

:hmmyes:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

sliami posted:

cold take but those commenters were boring and this was a serve

Yeah the original was better, because it was creepier and more obviously self-mutilating than new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

skaianDestiny posted:

holy moly

habeasdorkus posted:

I always thought this review was an interesting take on queerness in KSBD. I'd love to see an update on it, to see what the reviewer thought of how Operant's taken critiques on board and developed his work as time goes on.

That was a pretty interesting read. I don't quite see things the same way but that's the value of reading others' perspectives.

They're definitely on the money about the degree of brutality going on on Throne. poo poo's bad and I always thought it was incredibly chilling that WC is so casual about it while 'enforcing the law.'