Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Picked up a no-contact variety-pack haul from TreeHouse yesterday. Tornado pale ale is a very solid 5% crusher but the one Julius I had seemed off. Quite a bit of burn that I don’t remember being there before.

How are lines there now? The last two times I stopped by there were hour-plus waits and I just couldn't be bothered. Curious how they have that set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I am gonna mow the gently caress out of my lawn.

Beers of Hamms quality are typically below my floor but I have been known to crush them when offered. Land of Sky Blue Waters indeed. The old Hamms building in St. Paul has some cool history involving Al Capone too.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Quiet Feet posted:

How are lines there now? The last two times I stopped by there were hour-plus waits and I just couldn't be bothered. Curious how they have that set up.

Pre-COVID they had done some major upgrades to the line problem and it was usually at worst 45 minutes. They were also putting wait times on Twitter so you could plan when to go.

With COVID there is absolutely no one allowed inside or even on the grounds. You have to put your order in online, minimum one case of either a single beer or from pre-selected mix packs, and pick it up that day. Parking attendants keep the cars in line and when you get to the front you show your ID and order number, they bring your order out on a hand truck and back off, you get out, masked, and put it in your car and go. Yesterday I picked my order up around noon and I spent maybe 25 minutes in line.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
PseudoSue was pretty good; aroma not amazing at 9 weeks old, but decent. Nice full hop flavor. Color was good. Sweet up front, and a bitter finish that motivates another sip. The Citra was very Citra, no surprises there.

I would prefer a slightly smaller beer, maybe shave off half a percent of the ABV. Taking the bitterness down just a tiny smidge and doing away with the tinyest hint of hop-burn still present would make it a close to perfect Citra pale for me, but as it stands it's not something I would spend that amount ($15 - $16) on for another can.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

obi_ant posted:

Please send some of the TreeHouse to the West Coast for me. Thanks.

Hit me up in the fall, I’ll get you whatever at cost plus shipping. The best stuff comes out then and has a better chance of surviving shipping across the country. TreeHouse doesn’t handle not being refrigerated well.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Hit me up in the fall, I’ll get you whatever at cost plus shipping. The best stuff comes out then and has a better chance of surviving shipping across the country. TreeHouse doesn’t handle not being refrigerated well.

Hella yeah. I'm gonna PM you, so I remember your username.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

funkybottoms posted:

would be interested in feedback on that pilsner (along with the canning date); i think i said this already, but i was kind of unhappy with the batch we made with yeast we loaned out.

also curious to know what you think of that Commonwealth, which wasn't quite what i was expecting.

I'll snag the canning dates and compare the last 3 packs I bought to see if there's a difference.
It was definitely more intense than I was expecting.
I'll post up my impressions of the rice lager too.

KcDohl posted:

I fuckin love Rocket Frog so much. I don't think I've had anything by them that wasn't at least extremely solid.

Kai Gose to Key West hurt me in the face. I had a real hard time making it through a whole can. But yeah everything else I've had from them is mad decent.
Their flagship Brown Ale is utterly phenominal.

This one is also very good:

Edit: so in googling Hamms to remember how they became acquired by Miller, I found this:
https://www.ebay.com/i/174009114286

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 27, 2020

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Edit: so in googling Hamms to remember how they became acquired by Miller, I found this:
https://www.ebay.com/i/174009114286

Legit have had 1/3 of these? Special shout out to Special Export, an all-timer for my mom. Also, Black Label, which my Ohio friends would haul back for us to mix with Pabst to make Black N Blues. (Something completely indistinguishable from either of its ingredients)

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

Legit have had 1/3 of these? Special shout out to Special Export, an all-timer for my mom. Also, Black Label, which my Ohio friends would haul back for us to mix with Pabst to make Black N Blues. (Something completely indistinguishable from either of its ingredients)

Pretty close to the same, albiet in the modern "They're all Pabst and Miller brands" era and not in the olden times

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

MunchE posted:

Pretty close to the same, albiet in the modern "They're all Pabst and Miller brands" era and not in the olden times

I'm not that loving old.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have a half-rack of Billy Beer cans (we rent a house from my mother in law who never fully moved out) in the garage. 6 of them are still unopened. I’ve never been tempted to try them out.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

I'm not that loving old.

as far as I know you're a fish with an orange border

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

MunchE posted:

as far as I know you're a fish with an orange border

touche

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I used to take a swig out of a can of Black Label and fill it back up with Evan Williams (black label, not green label), to make a Black and Black.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

prayer group posted:

I used to take a swig out of a can of Black Label and fill it back up with Evan Williams (black label, not green label), to make a Black and Black.

I now want Boon Black Label cans.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

highme posted:

I have a half-rack of Billy Beer cans (we rent a house from my mother in law who never fully moved out) in the garage. 6 of them are still unopened. I’ve never been tempted to try them out.

I've still got a few unopened randoms from my dad (rip), including a couple Hamm's.
My favorite thing though is the random can of MASH beer and a Ballantine's can that was converted into a giant cigar lighter.

funkybottoms posted:

would be interested in feedback on that pilsner (along with the canning date); i think i said this already, but i was kind of unhappy with the batch we made with yeast we loaned out.

also curious to know what you think of that Commonwealth, which wasn't quite what i was expecting.

all three 4-packs I've had were all dated 6/8/20. They all taste the same. They all have this VERY distinct, strong finish like a Yuengling on PCP rather than a Urquell. The taste definitely lingers though I can't put my finger on exactly what it is.
Guess I'll just have to drink more to find out.

The Commonwealth was also not what I was expecting but I really enjoyed it. Definitely sweeter than I thought it was going to be. I don't know why I expected it to taste like anything other than Sake, but I'm kinda glad it doesn't.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Had no idea Colt 45 was that old

Fake edit: as old as danbanana

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I haven't had or purchased a beer in ages for a variety of reasons but found a can of VSOR hidden in my fridge last night and decided to pop it.

It's the best beer Revolution ever made.

Edit: Forgot VSOJ was a thing. Second best beer.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 29, 2020

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

all three 4-packs I've had were all dated 6/8/20. They all taste the same. They all have this VERY distinct, strong finish like a Yuengling on PCP rather than a Urquell. The taste definitely lingers though I can't put my finger on exactly what it is.
Guess I'll just have to drink more to find out.

The Commonwealth was also not what I was expecting but I really enjoyed it. Definitely sweeter than I thought it was going to be. I don't know why I expected it to taste like anything other than Sake, but I'm kinda glad it doesn't.

ugh, that sounds about right, unfortunately; it's not totally hosed, but it's also not what it's supposed to be. if you message me your address, i'm happy to send you some Mexican lager next week as a replacement!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I haven't had or purchased a beer in ages for a variety of reasons but found a can of VSOR hidden in my fridge last night and decided to pop it.

It's the best beer Revolution ever made.

Edit: Forgot VSOJ was a thing. Second best beer.

LOL your palate is fuc-

Wait. This isn't a terrible take! Congrats!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

funkybottoms posted:

ugh, that sounds about right, unfortunately; it's not totally hosed, but it's also not what it's supposed to be. if you message me your address, i'm happy to send you some Mexican lager next week as a replacement!

Gladly, but only if you let me pay for shipping, or trade you for some of this awesome Rocket Frog Rhinewasser that I'm digging right now. This one might just be my new favorite summer beer.
Also, don't beat yourself up over it, if you didn't tell me, I'd probably never know.

Just finished the 4 pack of that Commonwealth Rice Lager though. It is definitely closer to sake than it is to a lager, but it is fantastic with sushi.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Was at my local bottleshop last weekend and saw some Firestone Walker Inferos from their Leo v. Ursus series on the shelf. Thought to myself, 'cool FW is starting the series back up again, they were some of my favorite beers'. Flipped the can over...and saw a canning date of 9/11/2017. Nope! Back on the shelf with you. They had the nerve to charge full price as well, for 5-6 bones I would have bought it just to see what 3 years had done to it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

PDX folks Uptown has Caribou, Pop Crimes, Canvas, Local Dork & Things I Imagined from Foam.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Y'all I just bought a bunch of Oktoberfests and I love everything.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I enjoy beer but for some reason have never been able to burp in my entire goddamn life. Or even kind of shift gasses around.

This means that if I don’t pace myself exactly right, I end up excusing myself to dry heave some CO2 for a minute or so.

Are there any good low-carbonation beers? Preferably hoppy, since I like bitter flavors. N2 doesnt help, that still needs an exit.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have a cousin literally with the same problem as you. His solution is to go to the bathroom and throw up a lil now n then.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I know a guy who is very into cask beer and complains about most beer being overcarbonated, so he will often get an extra glass and pour his beer between the two glasses a few times to knock out some of the carbonation. Also if you let a beer just sit around opened it will lose some carbonation, so just always have an opened beer in the fridge.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I enjoy beer but for some reason have never been able to burp in my entire goddamn life. Or even kind of shift gasses around.

This means that if I don’t pace myself exactly right, I end up excusing myself to dry heave some CO2 for a minute or so.

Are there any good low-carbonation beers? Preferably hoppy, since I like bitter flavors. N2 doesnt help, that still needs an exit.

Barrel aged everything! Flat lambics! Beers packaged 5+ years ago! Rayon Vert to see how long you can dry heave for!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

highme posted:

PDX folks Uptown has Caribou, Pop Crimes, Canvas, Local Dork & Things I Imagined from Foam.

I picked Caribou up at John's, it was okay. I tried some Boss Rambler cans and got some of the worst hop burn I've had in a while.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also NITRO beers? Don't quote me on this I aint no SCIENTIST

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I have a cousin literally with the same problem as you. His solution is to go to the bathroom and throw up a lil now n then.

I wouldn’t mind doing that if it didn’t make me look absolutely wasted. I had a bartender cut me off after a pint and a half and I had to explain no, I’m not drunk, my pyloric sphincter is just fuckin’ weird.

Might try the two glasses thing. How long is an open beer in a fridge still good for

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How long is an open beer in a fridge still good for

For something with standard carbonation, it would go very close to flat overnight.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Also NITRO beers? Don't quote me on this I aint no SCIENTIST

Normally beer is carbonated with carbon dioxide. Nitro beers, like for example when you get Guinness at a bar, are carbonated with nitrogen. Basically changes how the foam is formed and some of the bitterness of the beer itself.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah and im wondering if that'd be better for no-burp goon. I normally don't rip fat burps after a few nitro stouts like i do with, say, cheap pilz

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Josh Wow posted:

I know a guy who is very into cask beer and complains about most beer being overcarbonated, so he will often get an extra glass and pour his beer between the two glasses a few times to knock out some of the carbonation. Also if you let a beer just sit around opened it will lose some carbonation, so just always have an opened beer in the fridge.

Cask ale and stouts, my guy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spuckuk posted:

I’ll try those too. I prefer hoppy beers but I think I’m developing an allergy to some of them, I’ll basically instantly get a runny nose whenever I drink certain IPAs I used to have no problem with.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I’ll try those too. I prefer hoppy beers but I think I’m developing an allergy to some of them, I’ll basically instantly get a runny nose whenever I drink certain IPAs I used to have no problem with.

Hey, something similar developed with me. Get yourself a good allergist! Mine has reinterpreted my "I like to drink and it might be triggering my allergies!" by calling it my "quality of life." And now I'm on some real simple medications that have helped control it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

One day a long time ago I got to have a Marshall Zhukov variant (penultimate push, but I don't remember the extras used for that year) but served on a beer engine with a hand pump.

It was way different than having it served via co2 keg, but man that was a nice little treat. I loved it

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

One day a long time ago I got to have a Marshall Zhukov variant (penultimate push, but I don't remember the extras used for that year) but served on a beer engine with a hand pump.

It was way different than having it served via co2 keg, but man that was a nice little treat. I loved it

Dragon's Milk on beer engine is loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The gently caress is a beer engine