Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
islam

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

LISTEN TO DUBSTEP

(please dont)

coathat
May 21, 2007

Dreylad posted:

that sounds amazing. CSPAM will never reach such heights.

in general i don't think subforums should be shut down for bad posting because that can be fixed and addressed, it just takes some effort. but I think Helldump might be the exception to that. maybe YCS, I don't know.

Helldump like LF was shutdown because they disrespected the mods

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Karl Barks posted:

In hindsight "federal subpoena" does sound like something would say if they were making poo poo up

ikanreed posted:

Yeah, is it were about identifying users, it'd be a warrant first.

It's a power granted to the secret service.

18 U.S. Code § 3486.Administrative subpoenas:
(A)In any investigation of—
(iii)an offense under section 871 or 879, or a threat against a person protected by the United States Secret Service under paragraph (5) or (6) of section 3056,[1] if the Director of the Secret Service determines that the threat constituting the offense or the threat against the person protected is imminent, the Secretary of the Treasury,
may issue in writing and cause to be served a subpoena requiring the production and testimony described in subparagraph (B).

(B)Except as provided in subparagraph (C), a subpoena issued under subparagraph (A) may require—
(i)the production of any records or other things relevant to the investigation; and
(ii)testimony by the custodian of the things required to be produced concerning the production and authenticity of those things.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

"mod sass" was always the dumbest, thin skinned poo poo. And lol at how many of them turned out to be utter garbage absolutely deserving of anything thrown their way.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao @ one sketchy line about the secret service, then paragraphs of bitching about mod sass

even if the former wasn't completely made up (lol), the latter clearly weighed much more heavily in his mind.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
did you ask them if their communications center had stairs?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
LOL

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

LF fell, DocEvil ate the eggs, etc.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

at this point it seems easier to assume everything lowtax said was a lie

like that whole beef with paypal ages ago? lmao lowtax probably did steal that money

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

err posted:

lowtax is a deadbeat loser spouse abuser that fabricated a claim to clamp down on leftists on his internet forum

why am i still posting here

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

babypolis posted:

like that whole beef with paypal ages ago? lmao lowtax probably did steal that money

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

hey now, i wouldn't put that past him but paypal is pretty famous about straight up stealing money

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Riot Bimbo posted:

hey now, i wouldn't put that past him but paypal is pretty famous about straight up stealing money

Unsurprising for a company founded by a vampire and an apartheid heir

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

babypolis posted:

lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

paypal took a bunch of money that you guys donated for hurricane katrina, conversely, look at my new house

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

coathat posted:

Helldump like LF was shutdown because they disrespected the mods

Mods are basically the online version of US police or military.

Saying things like they don't deserve worship or getting their dick sucked leads to meltdown by these types of low life authoritarian figures.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mods arent even real

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He might have just gotten a subpoena in his email. Maybe they didn't even know the name of "webmaster@gmail.com".

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Presuming that’s true... Jesus. That’s just sad.

Like, I didn’t like LF, but assuming I owned the site and was dealing with their poo poo, why would I not just say “hey, I’m shutting this down because you’re all insufferable?”

It’s not like Lowtax cared about pissing off users.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That doesn't actually prove there was no Secret Service visit or warning or whatever, just that they couldn't find any paperwork about it. Of course it's just as likely Lowtax lied about it but this isn't definite evidence.

Then again, this is 2020 and everything is insane so what probably happened is some goon prank called Lowtax pretending to be Secret Service and he freaked out. I suggest this because it's the absolute stupidest possibility.

Hub Cat posted:

My boring read is the Secret Service took the request as literally as possible and didn't look for records of investigations into somethingawful posts or users.

Yeah, there's plenty of ways to deliberately miss relevant paperwork via malicious compliance regarding search requests. I've done it myself.

I mean in a sense it doesn't even matter because its not as if anyone will ever find enough evidence to convince anyone who believes that letter is definitive.

And there's something amusing about hardcore LF types talking uncritically about how the US government is telling the truth because they have a letter and everything.

Charles posted:

This is what Abe wrote in 2012 in QCS
"And the majority of the Secret Service/FBI complaints that SA has seen to my knowledge originated mostly in part due to a twitter bot created by a YOSPOS regular, if memory serves. LF definitely had a larger part to play though on the backend, and the whole Grover harassment bit at the end didn't help matters much."

Not sure what the second half means, but limiting the foia request to death threats against Obama might have been too narrow a restriction.

Pick posted:

I really think that this is extremely poor judgment, and there's really no reason to be doing this.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
op, have you appealed this response yet? someone upthread mentioned ur excepted to appeal. thank you for your diligence.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lowtax bought a nissan gtr with goon donations for his medical condition

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I think we should time travel and kill president James "doughface" Buchanan using modern technology to avenge John Brown

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
ts12 was cool

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the people who turned his death into a malicious game of forums telephone for epic lols were pathetic then and are pathetic now

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Let's all submit FOIA requests

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

dta

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

dti

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

babypolis posted:

almost certainly lol

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

gently caress you for beating wifekin

the best jeblund story is his wife catching him phonefucking tdh and bouncing a coffee cup off his lumpy assymetric head

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

RBC posted:

lowtax bought a nissan gtr with goon donations for his medical condition

lmao back when the generation the gt-r was brought to the US, top gear host Clarkson claimed it hosed his spine up and he needed to be taken away by ambulance and asked for a bunch of painkillers

https://youtu.be/YXFSVoVqhYw

mobile posting so I can't embed easily, but skip to 5:30

lowtax broken spine origin story?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
heywood jeblundme

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

babypolis posted:

way way back Lowtax said google hated him which was why SA was never on the first page of a google search

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

way way back Lowtax said google hated him which was why SA was never on the first page of a google search

a niche faded relevancy website for weirdos isn't not a top rated website in term of searches?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

etalian posted:

a niche faded relevancy website for weirdos isn't not a top rated website in term of searches?

this was like 2004 when SA was actually popular and it was legitimately kind of weird but seemingly just incompetence on tax/radiums part. iirc it wouldnt even show up until page two if you searched 'something awful'

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Giga Gaia posted:

this was like 2004 when SA was actually popular and it was legitimately kind of weird but seemingly just incompetence on tax/radiums part. iirc it wouldnt even show up until page two if you searched 'something awful'

Lowtax was basically in terms of leadership style was similar to Hitler in that he seemed to picked the "best" incompetent talent and keep them around forever because they said nice things about him

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lowtax always seemed like the absentee owner that would only show up to bang his money machine when it didnt spit out enough dollars t b q h i dont think he's given a poo poo about this place beyond that since he said gently caress this and let fragmaster run it~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Giga Gaia posted:

it was almost certainly penalized for something or other. You couldn't even find the site by searching "www.somethingawful.com" in google around then, which means it was deliberate.

Entirely probable the penalty was due to radium being a loving idiot though.