Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The responses I’ve heard from people who have seen the new rules is that Passing is (somehow) much more of a core part of the game. I agree that what we’ve seen so far makes this seem unlikely, as reducing the number or players that are capable of it does not seem to fit naturally with the idea of making it more common or appealing.

I have also heard a variety of conflicting rumours about what will happen to teams that haven’t yet been released in plastic, with the most credible suggesting that there will be a new Teams of Legend PDF with every missing team except Bretonnia (because they Imperial Nobility team is basically an upgrade to the Bretonnia roster)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Black Orcs for Blood Bowl

I don't play BB but look at those gobbos :allears:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like the goblins, I don't like the orcs.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

goatface posted:

I like the goblins, I don't like the orcs.

They got the AoS proportions and I agree, I'm the goblin klansmen BTW

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I love the goblins, lukewarm in the black orcs, still in love with the snotlings.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Things like Loner (3+) are an interesting change, especially in light of the Old Word Alliance team. All that Loner doesn't look quite so bad now...

One reason I'm glad this leak has come out and forced GW's hand for announcing it is that I can bin off my league that's been ruined by COVID, and start properly at the beginning of next year. Maybe.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This is a pretty dumb question but roughly how easy is it to learn Blood Bowl? Those new models on the warhammer community site look absolutely sick, so I'm curious if it's worth investing into the rules/materials required for playing so that once the pandemic is over I can bring it to a friends place for pizza and beer nights.

The new spooky team looks fun as hell to paint, particularly the scarecrows

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Blood Bowl 2 pc game is a really great way to learn, it's an excellent port. It does a lot of the book keeping for you but you'll at least get a feel for the rules

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I learned the gist of the rules from the blood bowl video game. How movement works, how blocks are thrown, the risk management aspect all are kind of in there. Theres an actual living rulebook online of the classic rules for free that you can Google. The BB rules havent made many changes over the years so they are still relevant. The new edition seems to only be changing things to streamline stuff so i think its still valid.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is a pretty dumb question but roughly how easy is it to learn Blood Bowl? Those new models on the warhammer community site look absolutely sick, so I'm curious if it's worth investing into the rules/materials required for playing so that once the pandemic is over I can bring it to a friends place for pizza and beer nights.

The new spooky team looks fun as hell to paint, particularly the scarecrows

bloodbowl has the PC game and fummbl to do all the actual leg work if you want to cheap out, the game is r e l a t i v e l y straight forward

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How big a modification to the rules do they look like they're making? A large amount of BB is knowing the risk/reward for your actions and being able to read the board and determine the best order of action. If they're fiddling with the numbers on that it's going to take some effort to retrain those neurons.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

B I G A S S W A R N I N G

Blood bowl is, to say the least, frustrating.
you can lose a whole turn to whats supposed to be an easy dice roll. Your Veteran player who is level 3 and has gotten excellent lvl up rolls so far can fall and die because he decided to run one extra space and get that goal. The teams are not balanced, sometimes on purpose, There are teams that are just plain BAD (EG. Halflings).

All that said its some of the most Random fun you can have as long as you dont take it so serious. Dont get too attached to players. Dont let turnover get you down so much.
Dont get mad. Get even.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hihohe posted:

I learned the gist of the rules from the blood bowl video game. How movement works, how blocks are thrown, the risk management aspect all are kind of in there. Theres an actual living rulebook online of the classic rules for free that you can Google. The BB rules havent made many changes over the years so they are still relevant. The new edition seems to only be changing things to streamline stuff so i think its still valid.

While the video games are good (I think FUMBBL is better but that’s my preference) you really do need to spend some time learning the rules in the way you would if you were learning to play a board game. BB2 has a “tutorial” mode but it is abysmal at teaching you to play the game. You must learn the rules and you should definitely play practice games against real opponents because the BB2 AI is also terrible.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is a pretty dumb question but roughly how easy is it to learn Blood Bowl?

Blood Bowl is middling complexity as a board game. However, it's designed in a way that you'll most likely never get any better at it unless you learn from other players. It's also not a chill game, due to how long it takes, how random it can be, and how it encourages a personal investment in your dudes.

Without getting too far into specifics, every turn you can take an action with each of your eleven dudes, but if any of them fails an action, your turn ends immediately. So every turn is a game of press-your-luck, where you try to prioritize the important or safe moves first, while leaving the risky or superfluous plays to the end of your turn. This is what makes Blood Bowl fun! But the high stakes give it a thoughtful pace. Even with experienced players, every turn takes at least a couple minutes on average, in a game with 32 turns total. And when you fail that first 98% chance to succeed and lose your entire turn and lose the game because your opponent got two turns in a row, it sucks so, so bad. Every time you end your turn early due to carelessness or bad planning or bad luck, you have plenty of time to brood over it as your opponent takes their full turn.

And the game is super duper random. There's no such thing as a safe play other than moving from one uncontested space to another. Even a game where you totally dominate will involve lots of rolling 98% and 89% and 83% and 67% rolls, so most of the rolls you fail will be ones you felt like you should have succeeded. Most players do not improve without advice because it's hard to ever feel like it was your fault, because you should have succeeded all of those rolls. And sometimes those rolls are for very stupid things: an average human with the "pick up the ball" skill has an 11% chance to fail to pick up a stationary ball laying on the ground, and there's nothing you can do to improve those chances or prevent that failure from ending your turn.

Blood Bowl is also randomly violent. Every time a player gets knocked down or falls down, they have a chance to hurt themselves. The low end is just losing another turn before standing up, the high end is death. It takes a lot of time to build up a player, often a dozen or more matches that take an hour plus each, so losing a developed player permanently to a crippling injury or a death absolutely sucks. A sufficiently bad run of luck for a team can send you even further back than square one. You can reduce the chances, but never eliminate them. The brutality is part of the appeal of the game, but because many of the teams specialize in stalling the game and grinding the opponent's players into the hospital, and some of the violence is "cheating", like fouls a character can be red-carded for, it can feel incredibly bad to lose (or win!) these matches. It's a real friendship wrecker if people take it personally.

If all of this didn't dissuade you, the best way to learn BB these days is playing it online. FumBBL is a Java-based Blood Bowl simulator and has one of the biggest communities. There's also Blood Bowl 2, a faithful (same rules, 1:1) licensed adaptation on PC and consoles. (I suggest checking Cheapshark or Isthereanydeal for sales, and definitely buy the Legendary Edition that includes all of the DLC.) If you want to play BB2 on PC with goons, Mapgoons Discord has a league and you are welcome to join. (Anyone is, on the condition that you are chill and not a Nazi.) We have an open chill play-whenever-with-whoever ladder, and a semi-competitive scheduled league that is currently halfway through its season. We have a good mix of tryhards and very new players, I think, and the watch parties for spectating the league games are good ways to learn more about Blood Bowl.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 8, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Blood Bowl is the second best game GW have ever released. It's absolutely worth a look as long as you go in understanding that the game hates you and will try to gently caress you in hilarious ways at every step.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
You can also play Blood Bowl 7s as a quicker paced and less randomly vicious way to experience the same rules. I think it’s a great way to teach the game and also great to play in its own right.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Hihohe posted:

you can lose a whole turn to whats supposed to be an easy dice roll. Your Veteran player who is level 3 and has gotten excellent lvl up rolls so far can fall and die because he decided to run one extra space and get that goal. The teams are not balanced, sometimes on purpose, There are teams that are just plain BAD (EG. Halflings).

All that said its some of the most Random fun you can have as long as you dont take it so serious. Dont get too attached to players. Dont let turnover get you down so much.
Dont get mad. Get even.

Ask me about the last game of BB I ever played, or will play! I was some Elves vs Dwarves, by turn 4 or so my entire team was out of action. I think 4 of them died? Several more were injured. It was an absolutely crushing and frustrating experience, halfway through a league where I was still somewhat new but doing well. Suddenly, I not only lost every good player I had, I was so set back there was no reason to even really keep playing against people except as a punching bag. Haven't played the game since, it left such a bad taste in my mouth.

In short: BB is pretty tricky and has a ton of variance. It's all about mitigation of that variance, but it will never be zero and it can be really all over the place when you do fail.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Slab Squatthrust posted:

Ask me about the last game of BB I ever played, or will play! I was some Elves vs Dwarves, by turn 4 or so my entire team was out of action. I think 4 of them died? Several more were injured. It was an absolutely crushing and frustrating experience, halfway through a league where I was still somewhat new but doing well. Suddenly, I not only lost every good player I had, I was so set back there was no reason to even really keep playing against people except as a punching bag. Haven't played the game since, it left such a bad taste in my mouth.

In short: BB is pretty tricky and has a ton of variance. It's all about mitigation of that variance, but it will never be zero and it can be really all over the place when you do fail.

Is it possible you were storing your dice in an impious manner? Did you keep them in the approved ziggurat formation with the "1"-faces up (that way it uses up the timer for landing on "1" when in a game, DO NOT LISTEN to those who claim that storing dice "6"-faces up will work, it will not!)

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Schadenboner posted:

Is it possible you were storing your dice in an impious manner? Did you keep them in the approved ziggurat formation with the "1"-faces up (that way it uses up the timer for landing on "1" when in a game, DO NOT LISTEN to those who claim that storing dice "6"-faces up will work, it will not!)

By the end of that game I was ready to try about anything. Failing a rerollable 2+ at the beginning of your turn against Dorfs is A Bad Time.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
dwarves are never a good time

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Someone got the Underworlds Supply Drop. It's.... not great

https://canyourollacrit.com/2020/08/08/warhammer-underworlds-supply-drop/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hihohe posted:

Dont get mad. Get even.

Way more balanced than 40k though

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Slab Squatthrust posted:

It can be possible to recover from games like that in a league. It tends to require a bit more player experience and also a mindset that doesn’t mind it being an uphill battle.

Also Dwarves suck and make the game miserable for everyone. Especially the Dwarves themselves.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Winklebottom posted:

Someone got the Underworlds Supply Drop. It's.... not great

https://canyourollacrit.com/2020/08/08/warhammer-underworlds-supply-drop/

I mean, nobody should be surprised. Mystery box deals are always full of crap that didn't sell. That's literally the only point of mystery boxes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ineptmule posted:

Also Dwarves suck and make the game miserable for everyone. Especially the Dwarves themselves.

Honestly, I've played a lot of games by a lot of companies with different approaches to gameplay and game mechanics and for whatever reason, Dwarfs are loving miserable to play against in every game. They always seem to have way more advantages that disadvantages and are impossible to knockoff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's not even that Dwarves are super good (I think they're widely considered near the bottom of Tier 1), it's just that every game against them is a miserable grind.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

ineptmule posted:

I wonder if the new edition makes them less bad to play.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Crackbone posted:

I mean, nobody should be surprised. Mystery box deals are always full of crap that didn't sell. That's literally the only point of mystery boxes.

I dont have any Underworlds so I was tempted until I saw all the accessories listed in the store.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You should be able to find all that stuff cheap real soon.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly, I've played a lot of games by a lot of companies with different approaches to gameplay and game mechanics and for whatever reason, Dwarfs are loving miserable to play against in every game. They always seem to have way more advantages that disadvantages and are impossible to knockoff.

YES! Guess what: the archetype of “slow and tough” makes for boring tactical experiences.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Crackbone posted:

On top of this, WHU is not a game you need mystery boxes for unless you're the rare player who, for whatever reason, doesn't already buy all the stuff. Anyone who plays even slightly competitively has purchased the stuff they need, and has given a pass to the stuff they don't (counters, deckbox, etc.) WHU isn't a big enough game to support mystery box deals, and the fact that stuff rotates out so frequently makes it an even worse deal.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thinking about this and Games Workshop's own developers said they couldn't find a way to make Squats interesting so they dropped them. In Epic 40k they have some cool-looking vehicles, that are second to titans and gargants, but the infantry is basically a boring barely-mobile shield wall to smash against until you can kill the Overlord, Cyclops and Colossus.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I bought Bloodbowl 2 a couple days ago. I saw people were discussing it so they might want to know it's currently on sale on Fanatical for quite cheap.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/blood-bowl-2-legendary-edition

I'm liking it a lot. I think it's doing a good job of explaining the mechanics to me, even if the tutorials games do feel a bit slow.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
xpost from the painting thread, but:

New warband/project started: nudist party dwarves

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
poo poo, double post

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, I've got a quick question...what dangerous (and preferably also valuable and/or common) liquids and gases are in WH40K? Since I'm finally getting around to painting all of my terrain for Kill Team, which includes a few big storage tanks, for liquid/gas cargo. (Two smaller tanks, plus one big silo)

I'm obviously planning on using promethium (probably for the two small tanks), but I'm just curious about what other options there are, for the big silo? (Especially since the pringles can that makes up the core of the silo is slightly warped/malformed, so I'll paint it to look like it's becoming a bit corroded, after being left for so long)

I'll have to take a couple of photos once I can get a KT game in, on a full set of painted terrain! It'll pale in comparison to what you guys can do, but actually playing a game with painted terrain is an exciting prospect nevertheless! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 11, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
e:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I saw a post on r/BloodBowl that the entire non-fluff contents got leaked today but I think the post got deleted because I can't find it now. I hope someone saved it.

(Looks like the mod was sad that a lot of the mystery of what was in the game got RUINED by reading the leaks and banned them all WTF).

Looks like Amazon's , High Elves, Chaos Dwarves and 4 other teams have been squated (though *maybe* show up in an expansion). Pro Elves got nurfed and Dwarves are just as powerful and boring as ever :(

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 11, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Comstar posted:

I saw a post on r/BloodBowl that the entire non-fluff contents got leaked today but I think the post got deleted because I can't find it now. I hope someone saved it.

(Looks like the mod was sad that a lot of the mystery of what was in the game got RUINED by reading the leaks and banned them all WTF).

Looks like Amazon's , High Elves, Chaos Dwarves and 4 other teams have been squated (though *maybe* show up in an expansion). Pro Elves got nurfed and Dwarves are just as powerful and boring as ever :(

The link to the Google Doc that had the book scans was deleted, but I can pull some pics from a TG discord I'm in or see if /tg/ saved their own version.

I think the assumption is that the other teams will be released in future updates since what's out right now is a fairly diverse lot on its own and there's a whole heckuva lot of room to expand (There's 5 different Favored of ... choices and only Nurgle has anything right now. It'd be a waste to see some similar use in the others)

Dwarves have largely gone unchanged, but the prices for Troll Slayers and Runners went up by 5k. What little gimmicky Passing ability the team could muster has been diminished even further as Troll Slayers aren't allowed to pass and the best PA on the team is 4+ (like having a 2 in the old rules) shared by the Blitzers and the Runners. The Death Roller has seen the most changes. 10k price increase, their Loner is 5+ but also have Dirty Player 2+.

One thing that my actually affect them most is the changes to money gained after a match. Every scored TD a team scores is worth 10k to them at the end of the match.

New and changed skills have altered the possibility for Dwarves. New skill Arm Bar adds a +1 to Armor or Injury rolls on a players that fail to Dodge away. Another new skill nullifies Guard on adjacent players. Piling On is no more and has been replaced with Pile Driver. Instead of a flat second chance to Armor break/injury, it's now an option to do a free Foul

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
What were the 4 other teams? I'm assuming there'll be another Teams of Legend PDF like before, otherwise this is going to be really unpopular.