Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

If you are a tubeliner weirdo you don't even need anything except flat blue and green horizon visible from the window. It's not like you ever look at anything except the panels. I enjoy some Dash 8 action every now and then but MSFS20 will really shine on the GA side. And maybe you can finally actually navigate by scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

lobsterminator posted:

And maybe you can finally actually navigate by scenery.

you 100% can. I haven't opened the in-game map since the first day (there's no detail on it anyway). I've been flying everywhere using skyvector charts and VFR pilotage or VOR radio nav and it completely works just like in real life.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I mean I’m sure I’ll still get a tube or two but I’m so drat excited to fly real VFR instead of being disappointed that the road I thought I was following isn’t the right one because everything looks the same ala older sims.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
if you lived in a region you will instantly recognize where you are. everything is ridiculously accurate (for obvious reasons) and it's like you're flying google maps.

when I was looking for where I grew up, i thought i would have trouble, but since the game models stuff like old factories and plants and other contextually important minor landmarks that would otherwise never be hand modeled, it's insanely easy to navigate.

Hace fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 7, 2020

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Counterpoint: handflying a sid/star in a passenger jet can be super cool and challenging, especially into cool and good airports like Vail with no visibility and especially if you don’t rely on the FMC and you actually tune radios and navigate while managing your energy profile.

There’s fun to be had at all levels no matter what you (an alpha personality super sim pilot) likes!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah I found that canadian tire on the last page literally just by taking off from the airport and following the roads that I would drive to get to it in real life. There's the roundabout, there's the new hotel, there's the mall, the bridge, one more intersection, turn left, there it is.

If you're in a non-photogrammetry area it's not quite as easy because the buildings are generic, but you can still go ah, this main road with this large building on the corner is the wal-mart, and then here's the highway, etc. My grandma's house in the country is an autogen area and I still recognized all the intersections on the way, the curves and dips in the road, the streams, the locations of the other farmhouses, etc.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
So I've picked up a HOTAS and the big honkin premium deluxe whatever edition of FS 2020. gently caress giant airliner planes like the 747. gently caress even medium planes like Cessnas and the like. I'm mostly interested in Bush flights like, in Alaska, Australia, Africa, or probably moreso on little grass cartel airstrips in South America, flying smuggler routes up through the Caribbean to America. That seems like a lot of fun with all the real time meta data going on, staying out of radar ranges and what not.

Amongst all of the premium honkin edition's planes, what specific planes should I be looking at for these sorts of flights? I don't know much about planes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Savage Cub, Shock Ultra and XCub are your backwoods land-on-a-sand-bar planes. The Cessna 208 is a STOL-y utility plane like you might use to carry a bunch of hunters and their gear up to some remote wilderness location. The Baron is what I think of when I picture smugglers running drugs across the border.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Sagebrush posted:

The Savage Cub, Shock Ultra and XCub are your backwoods land-on-a-sand-bar planes. The Cessna 208 is a STOL-y utility plane like you might use to carry a bunch of hunters and their gear up to some remote wilderness location. The Baron is what I think of when I picture smugglers running drugs across the border.

This gives me options. Sounds like I'll be starting with the Baron. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XmLLBZnvDg

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 7, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

do we know the max altitude at which you can fly? is there any video of that?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I've just looked at some places in Bing maps. London, Berlin, Paris, Brussels, all look fine. Amsterdam, and everything around it, looks absolutely terrible - can hardly recognize trees as being such at all. Will this be indicative of the quality of the in-game world? I was hoping that I'd be able to look at my neighbourhood, which looks stunning in 3D Google.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Lord Stimperor posted:

Will this be indicative of the quality of the in-game world?

No there's an intermediary process between the maps data and the game world that tries to generate appropriate trees and buildings etc.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Hand crafted Saba and St Barts with no Twin Otter seems wrong. Hopefully one gets added sooner than later.

Till then I’ll be flying some kilos of coffee out of those two and the Sirena Aerodrome in the 208 and Baron. Island hopping should be amazing in this game.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Hand crafted Saba and St Barts with no Twin Otter seems wrong. Hopefully one gets added sooner than later.

Till then I’ll be flying some kilos of coffee out of those two and the Sirena Aerodrome in the 208 and Baron. Island hopping should be amazing in this game.

The Aerosoft Twin Otter is one of my fave payware planes. In close competition with RealAir Turbine Duke.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Similarly I’d love to see carendos Dornier 228 from X-plane again. Super fun little plane. I think I’m a little more partial to the twin otter based on looks but any STOL turboprop is really fun to fly. It’s a cool niche.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

sellouts posted:

Counterpoint: handflying a sid/star in a passenger jet can be super cool and challenging, especially into cool and good airports like Vail with no visibility and especially if you don’t rely on the FMC and you actually tune radios and navigate while managing your energy profile.

There’s fun to be had at all levels no matter what you (an alpha personality super sim pilot) likes!

Remember Telluride trips? I loved that airport.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Google Butt posted:

I took the CJ4 to FL450 yesterday. That’s the highest published service ceiling of the aircraft in game currently. I don’t thing FSX had an arbitrary altitude cap, so I doubt this will either.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Remember Telluride trips? I loved that airport.

Totally. Some great little airports to jam into

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

One issue I'm having with head tracking in FSX is the click boxes for the dials and stuff are so small that subtle head movements are really messing up my inputs. The only solution I've found is to create a massive dead zone so I can stop the screen from swaying but that sorta disrupts the immersion of it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

As someone that has some significant time on Saba (I have family) and flown in and out of that airport several times on Winair, the island just seems "wrong" from the screenshots I've seen... Population centers seem underrepresented and cut into the forest more than they really are. Tbh I haven't paid much attention to the airport itself. I've been reserving judgement until I get the sim though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

fuf posted:

No there's an intermediary process between the maps data and the game world that tries to generate appropriate trees and buildings etc.

Yeah that part I get, the question is more like "What did they do to places that look bad on Bing in the first place", like did they fall back on aerial photography by other vendors and so on. But I guess we'll see soon enough either way.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Google Butt posted:

I saw a video where a Cessna was placed in space way above the Earth's atmosphere (and it just started falling back towards the Earth), so you should be able to fly as high as there's air for the engine and the wings.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Womyn Capote posted:

One issue I'm having with head tracking in FSX is the click boxes for the dials and stuff are so small that subtle head movements are really messing up my inputs. The only solution I've found is to create a massive dead zone so I can stop the screen from swaying but that sorta disrupts the immersion of it.
Assign a button to pause trackir and hit that when looking at instruments. and I think there'a also an option to enable precision mode in trackir that I've never bothered with but I think it'll smooth out the tracking if you have it turned on which you can also assign to a button.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Setting a deadzone/curve helps a lot too.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Yeah that part I get, the question is more like "What did they do to places that look bad on Bing in the first place", like did they fall back on aerial photography by other vendors and so on. But I guess we'll see soon enough either way.

As far as I can tell, there's no fallback to other vendors. If the aerial photos or photogrammetry on Bing are poo poo, they're poo poo in game.

Overall though, it works well and usually looks good from altitude. Notable exceptions are London and DC which have a ton of not-represented landmarks and weird terrain issues.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How does Chicago skyline look?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Womyn Capote posted:

That's why headtracking with just a webcam isn't great. Imo you're better off using a pov hat for looking around or something. If you can, look into getting delanclip or trackhat.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I've never enjoyed head tracking with civilian sims. They revolve so much around fiddling with knobs even with GA planes. I do use tracking with Elite:Dangerous and IL2. This too might change now that the scenery is worth looking at. It's pretty nice to feel this giddy about something, even in my autumn years of almost 40.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

f9 key on trackir to freeze it when you need to mess with dials or rest your weary neck is god send

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MnYX6OJvM

Jurassic Park mod when

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Do the default aircraft have built in TCAS on the garmins?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

More info about AI-generated scenery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng-mGNqLe6M&hd=1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

look at this loving poser using both hands on the yoke

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Are there any operating manuals for the simulated aircraft or is that something you're supposed to research independently

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Are there any operating manuals for the simulated aircraft or is that something you're supposed to research independently

Previous sims have included manuals for the included aircraft that tells you how to operate them. But you can also use real life manuals for well simulated planes.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmmi4yG-YlE

I think this person gets a little too nitpicky about the ground options... especially that the game automatically opens cargo doors when you ask for bag service.

HOWEVER! One thing about this video is that MY HOUSE is in it! When he first sets up to show off the landing he is flying over NW Orange county and I immediately noticed the roads around my house. I could even make out some of the business and then sure enough I could see (in the distance) my neighborhood and street.

Awesome.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I doubt fs20 will have plane manuals. there's checklists to get the planes started up and a tutorial series but that only covers the c152 and basic navigation, maybe they'll add more down the line? I wish they'd have the old fsx/p3d style reference tab that showed the various speed limits for various stages of flight and cruise settings.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Zero One posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmmi4yG-YlE

I think this person gets a little too nitpicky about the ground options... especially that the game automatically opens cargo doors when you ask for bag service.

HOWEVER! One thing about this video is that MY HOUSE is in it! When he first sets up to show off the landing he is flying over NW Orange county and I immediately noticed the roads around my house. I could even make out some of the business and then sure enough I could see (in the distance) my neighborhood and street.

Awesome.

The fact he's set his tail number as N-SQRL and callsign as Nutty555 is way funnier than it should be.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I noticed in that squirrel video in the assists there's an option for "City Markers" - I'm guessing they're probably not quite wide spread enough for very small towns and GA flying, but I know some folks (myself included) were hoping for something akin to that for sight seeing.

I wonder if you can bind any of those to a hotkey - I'd prefer to fly with them off for MY IMMERSION but toggle them on if I get curious about what a town might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Arsonide posted:

This gives me options. Sounds like I'll be starting with the Baron. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XmLLBZnvDg

cool. wouldn't you eat poo poo if you went through trees like that though?