Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think so too. My Energica Ego's now replaced by the Ego+ which has 60% more battery capacity while weighing less and costing the same as my bike when it was new.

And they still don't give any weight measurements on their homepage, which tells me its still a pretty porky boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Big Taint posted:

I feel there’s a Tesla build-quality joke in there somewhere

Leaky seals! Nooooo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There's a lot going on with the Lyriq and I don't mean that in a complimentary way.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Very nice. What's it like to drive? Don't suppose you've been on any hilly or mountainous areas?

I am in the research phase for a new car and considering this country is massively hydro-powered it probably makes sense to go electric fairly soon. Though prices are pretty ridiculous (http://www.audi.ch/A9CJNB0C and this is for the less powerful version)

It's definitely more sporty than most Audi SUVs, I'd say it drives quite similar to a SQ5 though steering is very light(but precise). I live in a fairly hilly city and I've not had any issues going up and down inclines - auto hold helps there. Overall I think the most impressive thing about it is how quiet it is, the rest is fairly similar to something like a Q8 but with better performance.

Why not go to the local dealer and test it? I think the number one issue most people are going to take with the e-tron is the lower range. In real world driving it's got probably 75% of the range of a long range Model Y. So if you drive long distances, this probably isn't the car for you.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 7, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

Cadillac Lyriq unveiled tonight. I stole some details and pics from electrek's slide summary, pls no punish:

They want to offer rwd / awd options, 50/50 weight ratio, 19 kW (100 amp box) AC charging option, and a 300+ mile battery. They said they're 80% to production and it'll hit dealerships in the end of 2022. Cadillac said these will be available nationally across the US, they are not restricted to California. It will support up to 150 kW DCFC and feature super cruise.

It also has a cool 33 inch screen.

Maybe it's a good idea they come with a 19 kW onboard charger, that kind of makes up for the fact that there's limited public DCFC in North America. Strange that this car won't have the 800v 350kW-capable charging battery, maybe they're not ready for it yet? I bet the AWD drive model's going to be at least $70k.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

ClassH posted:

The Bolt is not that way.

When the vehicle cord is plugged in
The Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will check the 12V battery every 6 hours if the ignition is off. If the voltage is below a temperature dependent threshold ranging from 12.1 (cold) to 12.4 (warm)V, the Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will send the voltage set point to the engine control module (ECM). The engine control module (ECM) will send this to the 14V Power Module. Battery maintenance mode will charge the battery for 2-3 hours. If the Ignition is ON, the APM will cycle on as needed to maintain the 12V SOC.

When the vehicle cord is not plugged in
The Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will check the 12V battery every 4 days (2.5 to 3 days) and if the voltage is below a threshold of 12.0 may activate battery maintenance. If the high voltage battery state of charge is greater than 40% and the propulsion system is not active, Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will send the voltage set point to the engine control module (ECM). The engine control module (ECM) will send this to the 14V Power Module. Battery maintenance mode will charge the battery for 45-90 minutes..

Do you have a source for that? It makes sense, but the owner's manual seems to indicate otherwise. I assume this procedure is to protect the traction battery then? :shrug:

Bolt Owner's Manual posted:

Up to Four Weeks
Plug in the charge cord.
Four Weeks to 12 Months
Discharge the high voltage
battery until two or three bars
remain on the battery range
indicator (Battery symbol) on the
instrument cluster.
Do not plug in the charge cord.
Remove the black negative (−)
cable from the 12-volt battery
and attach a trickle charger to
the battery terminals or keep the
12-volt battery cables connected
and trickle charge from the
underhood remote positive (+)
and negative (−) terminals. See
Jump Starting - North America
0 287 for the location of these
terminals.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Westy543 posted:

Cadillac Lyriq unveiled tonight. I stole some details and pics from electrek's slide summary, pls no punish:

It also has a cool 33 inch screen.

I wonder if the door handles work the same as a Tesla 3/Y, they look similar on the outside. I don't see a traditional door handle on the interior either. Also wonder if that huge wide screen is going to be used for the side view cameras (assuming they get regulatory approval).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Maybe it's a good idea they come with a 19 kW onboard charger, that kind of makes up for the fact that there's limited public DCFC in North America. Strange that this car won't have the 800v 350kW-capable charging battery, maybe they're not ready for it yet? I bet the AWD drive model's going to be at least $70k.

I won’t believe a dollar under $80k until someone shows me a window sticker.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Hexigrammus posted:

Do you have a source for that? It makes sense, but the owner's manual seems to indicate otherwise. I assume this procedure is to protect the traction battery then? :shrug:

It is in a gm service document that was posted by a bolt technician. Link is now dead however.
Here is the post that has more info also with how the battery works in certain situations with the service documents linked.
https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/12v-battery-charging.10290/post-230362

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Hexigrammus posted:

Yes, long term storage procedures for EVs are all about protecting the traction battery. That procedure explicitly had you discharge the traction battery to "two bars", whatever that means, and the traction battery won't maintain the 12V when it's below 40%. This was probably chosen to coincide with this storage discharge so you don't drain down the traction battery in storage.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GM is thinking about making an EV-only brand to get some of that sweet, sweet investor money.

GM kicks around an idea to seize on EV enthusiasm, report says

quote:

GM now is war-gaming the idea as the company ponders different ways to get credit for its EV plans, though a spinoff isn’t actively being prepared, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing internal deliberations. Barra was publicly asked about it in light of Tesla Inc.’s soaring valuation and the easy access to capital that unproven EV startups such as Nikola Corp. have pulled off by merging with blank-check companies.

“Investors are telling us every day that they are willing to invest in electric vehicles,” said Emmanuel Rosner, the Deutsche Bank analyst who asked Barra about the idea of a spinoff on July 29. “But they are doing it with electric-vehicle companies, not legacy companies.”

I'm sure they would invent a totally new marque, but I hope they bring back Saturn!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Why are all the US and European auto companies focusing on luxury EVs? Only affordable EVs are coming out of Asia.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

EVs are luxury toys, Asian makers likely think they can't compete effectively in the $60-100k ev market

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Why are all the US and European auto companies focusing on luxury EVs? Only affordable EVs are coming out of Asia.

Higher margins on luxury vehicles (how much more do you really think a few hundred kilos of dynamat and some soft touch plastics and contrasting stitching actually cost a manufacturer?), and poor people can't afford to buy new cars (unless you've got your own in-house financing company specifically so that they can, and event that's risky).
Asian companies have traditionally happily expanded into markets that US and Euro companies couldn't be bothered with.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The middle class was already bleeding out before the pandemic hit, putting us in a 'bifurcated' economy. The only way to make money is to go after the Dollar General bracket with volume or target the rich

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Maybe it's a good idea they come with a 19 kW onboard charger, that kind of makes up for the fact that there's limited public DCFC in North America.

Public AC chargers with that much juice are rare, the only ones I can think of are Tesla destination chargers. Most public AC around me is 6kw on a good day.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I wouldn’t call the Zoe or the E Niro for luxury EVs, but maybe that is just me.
Where the Zoe was considerably cheaper than a normal Golf with the tax return.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PIZZA.BAT posted:

The middle class was already bleeding out before the pandemic hit, putting us in a 'bifurcated' economy. The only way to make money is to go after the Dollar General bracket with volume or target the rich

Plus with cars, you're never gonna beat the used car market for the volume bracket. Used cars are cheap, plentiful, and long lasting.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I didn't know people were still trying to drive Tesla roadsters, even in LA I haven't seen one in many years

https://twitter.com/JeffreyFarber/status/1289568814263279617?s=20

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
This guy apparently is the person to go to for Roadster repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1Ord5GsQI

"One customer had his Roadster waiting at a Tesla service center for over a year because the component it required, a 400-volt controller, wasn't available according to records Medlock shared with CNBC. Although Tesla put the customer in a loaner Model S while he was waiting, he eventually took his Roadster to Medlock."

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Clearly they should offer the owners a free upgrade to gen 2 roadsters.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Rusty posted:

This guy apparently is the person to go to for Roadster repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1Ord5GsQI

"One customer had his Roadster waiting at a Tesla service center for over a year because the component it required, a 400-volt controller, wasn't available according to records Medlock shared with CNBC. Although Tesla put the customer in a loaner Model S while he was waiting, he eventually took his Roadster to Medlock."

there's also this guy in phoenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-XGqLGI6g4

They're also a UPS company and a tesla's basically a giant DC to AC converter with wheels, so....

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Is this a good thread to post in when I'm considering getting my first car (never needed one) and know jackshit about em? I'm definitely interested in an EV, but not sure where to start digging into resources. In terms of charging stations, I live near a ton and all that, so I'm not worried.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

sanchez posted:

Public AC chargers with that much juice are rare, the only ones I can think of are Tesla destination chargers. Most public AC around me is 6kw on a good day.

Then they'll use Tesla destination chargers. https://www.evseadapters.com/products/tesla-to-j1772-adapter/

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Beamed posted:

Is this a good thread to post in when I'm considering getting my first car (never needed one) and know jackshit about em? I'm definitely interested in an EV, but not sure where to start digging into resources. In terms of charging stations, I live near a ton and all that, so I'm not worried.
Can't hurt to ask how you intend to use a vehicle should you buy one (like how far your daily commute will be, what kind of weather you will see on it, what shape you want, etc) and what kind of budget/credit do you have available, then we could suggest EVs that you might want to look at or test drive.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Can't hurt to ask how you intend to use a vehicle should you buy one (like how far your daily commute will be, what kind of weather you will see on it, what shape you want, etc) and what kind of budget/credit do you have available, then we could suggest EVs that you might want to look at or test drive.

No daily commute (working remote almost in perpetuity, and biked to the office when it was open), but I'd probably do 20-30 miles total on any given week, with occasional 300-400 mile trips upstate, to Chicago, etc. Michigan weather so basically all kinds across the year, including snow. I would probably like to spend less than $50k, I've got good credit and can make a downpayment of probably $10k.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

RZA Encryption posted:

GM is thinking about making an EV-only brand to get some of that sweet, sweet investor money.

I'm sure they would invent a totally new marque, but I hope they bring back Saturn!

Name it the Edison.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beamed posted:

No daily commute (working remote almost in perpetuity, and biked to the office when it was open), but I'd probably do 20-30 miles total on any given week, with occasional 300-400 mile trips upstate, to Chicago, etc. Michigan weather so basically all kinds across the year, including snow.
That long trip locks you out of pretty much anything but a Bolt or, uh, like a Niro ev?

You can get things cheap used like the i3 but you're pretty much in the City Car range with those.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Beamed posted:

No daily commute (working remote almost in perpetuity, and biked to the office when it was open), but I'd probably do 20-30 miles total on any given week, with occasional 300-400 mile trips upstate, to Chicago, etc. Michigan weather so basically all kinds across the year, including snow. I would probably like to spend less than $50k, I've got good credit and can make a downpayment of probably $10k.

Get a Spark EV, pay cash, rent a car for your occasional long distance trips.

Make the common case easy and the rare case possible.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

Get a Spark EV, pay cash, rent a car for your occasional long distance trips.

Make the common case easy and the rare case possible.

This doesn't sound bad. Any other good EVs you all would recommend if I bring that range down then?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beamed posted:

This doesn't sound bad. Any other good EVs you all would recommend if I bring that range down then?
Take your pick of anything south of the Tesla/Jaguar/Audi offerings. You can get a 2016 i3 for less than 20k and the ride would be better than the Spark.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

No, Pontiac. :getin:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Elmnt80 posted:

Pontiac being the cool EV branch of GM would be a good move, therefore gm won't do it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Elephanthead posted:

Name it the Edison.

Tom

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RZA Encryption posted:

Pontiac.

Elmnt80 posted:

gently caress.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

GM making a new EV subsidiary to lure those hot VC bucks and naming it after one of their defunct brands is very dumb and extremely possible.

Instead they are gonna say “eh let’s just make Buick be EVs now”.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Big Taint posted:

Instead they are gonna say “eh let’s just make Buick be EVs now”.

Well they DID do that with Cadillac. All the news sites picked it up as "CADILLAC TO BECOME TESLA FIGHTER" when their first car is like 3 years away.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bring back Detroit Electric.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Yeah but the Escalade is such a money maker I doubt you’re gonna see Caddy go full EV any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Elmnt80 posted:

This would be very weird and kinda cool.

And perfectly match Ford making "Mustang" an EV brand for pure "what the gently caress?"