Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm a little pissed off they canceled the Aurox (Imperialis Militia not-Rhino) less than a year after it released. It never even got 40k rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So it looks like the Krieg army isn't... Official? Or maybe just discontinued? I'm assuming if I built a Krieg army off of forgeworld, it wouldn't be tourney legal right?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

moths posted:

Reading everyone's accounts of good times with a hambuddy was worth it even if you just ghost the thread anyway.

True facts

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

So it looks like the Krieg army isn't... Official? Or maybe just discontinued? I'm assuming if I built a Krieg army off of forgeworld, it wouldn't be tourney legal right?

It's still a Guard army regardless so you can just use one of the other regiment rules from the codex. They just don't have any specific rules attached to them until the mysterious FW rule book shows up.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Never ever buy a Forgeworld army assuming they’ll be legal in any edition going forward.

Right now they can be played as any generic guard regiment. But be careful with their rough riders, any of their artillery and the centaur

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

I've never seen those! I thought I was pretty familiar with the catalogue too, that's awesome.

I'd really only use them for Hero Quest or something but they're still cool

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
alright, I looked up how to record, and uploaded to YouTube to go with the sole video of my dog I took on my phone. Please, have a watch and congratulations to the winner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRnH2ifYbI

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That was an awesome thing you did, and moths getting it is a fine resolution.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Congrats moths! you did a very nice thing for your buddy, Clawtopsy. I would have felt a little bad about having you pay the postage to me :)

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I painted a firetruck, except this one makes fire.
http://imgur.com/gallery/ogDmxIy
Junith Erudita.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh holy crap! Phil is going to be thrilled, I can't wait to get these to him!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Hey 40K thread, did you know that there were Krieg Ogryns?

https://wh40kartwork.tumblr.com/post/625439168192036864/krieg-ogryns-by-sgtsmile

Did you also know that there are also custom minis of them you can buy?

https://mortian.shop/produkt-kategorie/ogres/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well that's another 3rd party maker I'll bookmark to longingly stare at from time to time at stuff I'll never be able to buy.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Has anyone seen more than one report of what was in the Imperium Supply Drop? If it's always the same stuff, it's this entirely mismatched selection:

Adrax Agatone
Arco-Flagellants
Fenrisian Wolves
Kor'sarro Khan
Master Lazarus
Mephiston
Old SM Bikes

Can't imagine anyone that bought it for themselves being at all pleased with it, unless they're purely a collect/paint person that doesn't really build armies. Even straight-to-ebay buyers won't be of faction-specific characters that any given army needs only one of.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So I know y'all hate list posting, but I could use some advice.I'm thinking of finally biting the bullet and going Farsight Enclaves Tau as 9th rolls in. I'm looking to start at 1000 points, probably as the basis for a Crusade force. Here's my initial thoughts for the core of my army;

Farsight Enclaves Patrol
HQ
Enforcer Commander with 3xCylic Ion Blaster, Advanced Targeting System, WARLORD - 149 points
Logic: Commanders are still good.

Coldstar Commander with 4xFusion Blaster - 170 points
Logi: Commanders are still good.

Troops and DT
2 ten man squads of Breachers with Pulse Pistols, Guardian Drone and Shield Drone - 115 points each (230 points)
Logic: Where these guys get deployed depends on if I go first or second. if first, they sit inside some Devilfish and do the whole "Transport sits on an objective thing", eventually piling out to apply shotguns to faces. If I go second I'm not so sure, but probably a judicious use of Mon'Tau and running up the board to try and scrub other troops off the objectives with use of Pulse Onslaught/Danger Close. The full drone loadout is to try and keep them a little stickier on objectives without subjecting the people at my local games club to the misery of a shield drone wall. I'm running max squads because people who are afraid of Blast weapons are cowards.

2 Devilish with no extras - 103 points each (206 points)
Logic: To do the sit on objectives thing. If I go second they'd probably be better as a spoiler to block charge lanes. I wish Devilfish were good and did interesting things, or that Tau vehicles got their subsystems back. I hate their flying stands.

Elites
3-man Crisis Shas'ui team with 2 Burst Cannons and Advanced Targeting System, Gatling Burst Cannon prototype system, Veteran Cadre - 140 points.
Logic: Crisis suit bomb with Drop Zone Clear. The way to win in Warhammer is to throw as much dice as possible, and 24 S5 Ap-1 shots at BS 3+ seems good to me. Make some Orks cry, help get things off of objectives.

Total - 895/1000 points

QUESTIONS FROM A STUPID IDIOT!
  1. What do I do with that last 105 points? I could definitely use some Markerlight sources in there and maybe some shield drones. Pathfinders being 11 points a body is wild poo poo, they weren't exactly tearing up tables before iirc? Also I feel like I'm missing some anti-tank that doesn't have to get unnervingly close to the enemy.
  2. Is that too many points in Commanders? I loving love Battlesuits but more than a fifth of my points invested in Commanders seems a bit silly at 1000 points. Can't take Ethereals and Fireblades don't work with Breachers. I could probably drop one of them since this is a Patrol.
  3. Should I have more variety? if this is gonna be a Crusade force I might want more variety of tools to draw from, so maybe it's worth dropping something to get that and have more fun overall. I like the Ghostkeel models and think the Riptide is the most awkward gangly piece of poo poo ever, in case you were wondering.
  4. is the Crisis Team loadout okay? I don't know if I'm throwing too many resources (Prototype system, Stratagems) into a thing that doesn't actually hit that hard even after all of that support.

Any suggestions and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Shallow posted:

Has anyone seen more than one report of what was in the Imperium Supply Drop?

Adrax Agatone
Arco-Flagellants
Fenrisian Wolves
Kor'sarro Khan
Master Lazarus
Mephiston
Old SM Bikes

To be fair if I had the cash and nothing to paint I'd be happy that it's a mish mash of stuff. However, I reckon a bunch of people bought it expecting it to be an actual army, despite the fact I felt the fact it was "Imperium" meant it wouldn't be. That being said literally every model is from a space marine faction apart from the flagellents. Ebay sellers won't care because they would sell it all individually anyway.

I suspect the next one won't sell out quite so quickly, but I reckon it still will.

The Deleter posted:

QUESTIONS FROM A STUPID IDIOT!
  1. What do I do with that last 105 points? I could definitely use some Markerlight sources in there and maybe some shield drones. Pathfinders being 11 points a body is wild poo poo, they weren't exactly tearing up tables before iirc? Also I feel like I'm missing some anti-tank that doesn't have to get unnervingly close to the enemy.
  2. Is that too many points in Commanders? I loving love Battlesuits but more than a fifth of my points invested in Commanders seems a bit silly at 1000 points. Can't take Ethereals and Fireblades don't work with Breachers. I could probably drop one of them since this is a Patrol.
  3. Should I have more variety? if this is gonna be a Crusade force I might want more variety of tools to draw from, so maybe it's worth dropping something to get that and have more fun overall. I like the Ghostkeel models and think the Riptide is the most awkward gangly piece of poo poo ever, in case you were wondering.
  4. is the Crisis Team loadout okay? I don't know if I'm throwing too many resources (Prototype system, Stratagems) into a thing that doesn't actually hit that hard even after all of that support.

I think the list looks more or less fine, though a little light on obsec troops. Commanders are still good and taking two at 1,000 points i think is fine.

Having now played 1,000 points on a "recommended" table size of 44"x30" i would say that the transports won't actually get to move much. By the time you've deployed 12“ away from the centre you only actually have a 10"x30" rectangle to deploy in. The fact they fly means you can turn 1 grab objectives, but you want to try and last on them, or at least have replacement units to follow up. The devilfish will also provide a good way to make sure your commanders can't be shot at though.

As for Markerlights, as things stand there's basically only a reason to put one or put five on something, so you either go all in or just not be too bothered about it. On Tabletop Titans the 2,000 point tau crisis list Brian used didn't have a single Markerlight in the list.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 8, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Nice one moths, I'd love to see those dia de los necrons if you can get any photos.

And again, that's a very nice and wholesome thing to do, Clawtopsy.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Shallow posted:

Has anyone seen more than one report of what was in the Imperium Supply Drop? If it's always the same stuff, it's this entirely mismatched selection:

Adrax Agatone
Arco-Flagellants
Fenrisian Wolves
Kor'sarro Khan
Master Lazarus
Mephiston
Old SM Bikes

Frankly I'd want pretty much all of those. Love to paint Agatone or Mephiston. Not to mention Kor'sarro is a cool model too. Only thing I might sell is the Wolves as I've already painted a couple of those before.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Shallow posted:

Adrax Agatone
Arco-Flagellants
Fenrisian Wolves
Kor'sarro Khan
Master Lazarus
Mephiston
Old SM Bikes

Can't imagine anyone that bought it for themselves being at all pleased with it, unless they're purely a collect/paint person that doesn't really build armies. Even straight-to-ebay buyers won't be of faction-specific characters that any given army needs only one of.

The Underworlds drop was

The Godsworn Hunt warband
Champions of Dreadfane warbands
Beastgrave Primal Lair (scenery tiles)
Beastgrave Playmat
Beastgrave Deckbox
Beastgrave Counters
Beastgrave Carry Case

which is also pretty eh.

I'll bet the next supply drops are gonna sell out in 10 minutes anyway :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't know if they will do more. If they do I think it'll be a short term gimmick, and not just because the selection is meh.

It's such an out of character thing for the company to put out I suspect it was a reaction to a critical storage issues caused by the pandemic. Even with a newly expanded warehouse, having to shut everything down and then re-open with months of releases backed up and ever more in the pipeline I can see them needing to find space in a hurry. That and they turned down the government assistance money, so they may have wanted to kill two birds with one stone and get a quick extra injection of cash.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Deleter posted:

Farsight looks super strong this edition as ranges are much shorter so you're pretty likely to be within the free markerlight range.

Oh and for devilfish flying stands, have you considered using magnets? 1cm wide magnets are pretty stable and strong but not permanently attached. I'm currently magnetizing all my drones for their flight stands too.

Maybe ditch the crisis team for a stealthsuit team supported by a fusion ghostkeel? The fusion commander can hang around with them while the ion commander floats with one of the devilfish teams. IDK how effective this strat is, but there's a strat where you can basically leapfrog the stealthsuit team behind the ghostkeel. It seems like a strong idea for getting them out of charge range in case something punchy goes near them. Though stealth suits aren't as good at shooting as a veteran crisis team, they're far less of a points investment and are pretty decent at camping out on a point.

So for 1000 points you can run a real cqc/point hold team of:
3xMissile(or fusion) Coldstar, shield gen upgrade. 2 shield drones
2x10man breachers with shield drone and guardian drone. Riding in barebones devilfish
4man stealthsuit squad. 2 shield drones
Ghostkeel with fusion collider and fusion blasters. Shield gen upgrade (comes with two stealth drones for extra free wounds)
4x shield drones

Edit: you can ditch the two devilfish for another commander

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 8, 2020

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Thanks for these! I might end up dropping the Fish and going with the Ghostkeel/Stealth Suit combo (although I'll keep the Fish around in case the scenario favours them).

Although a guy at games club is asking to split the new starters with me so I might be talking about living metal and making terminator references for a hot minute. :v:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Keeping in mind that I've never actually played 40k so this is undoubtedly old news, but I'm putting together a Sisters army (new boxed set), and I'm at a stage where I'm putting together an old rhino/immolator that I got from eBay, and it looks tiny next to the modern Sisters. Is the newer Sisters Rhino bigger? Does using the tiny older Rhino really matter aside from aesthetics?

I can't picture 10 repentia piling out of this thing!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

imperialparadox posted:

Keeping in mind that I've never actually played 40k so this is undoubtedly old news, but I'm putting together a Sisters army (new boxed set), and I'm at a stage where I'm putting together an old rhino/immolator that I got from eBay, and it looks tiny next to the modern Sisters. Is the newer Sisters Rhino bigger? Does using the tiny older Rhino really matter aside from aesthetics?

Here is the new rhino
http://imgur.com/gallery/GSxXfgs
http://imgur.com/gallery/1nsfMUx

Don't know if they changed it.
Never sister's definitely bigger than old sister's though.

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 8, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I know they got wrecked by the point changes but for some reason I really want to build Drukhari after getting through Indomitus. It doesn't look like anyone uses Wyches anymore but there's that possible new Lelith on the way right? Is the Start Collecting box worthwhile or do you just gotta buy units a la carte?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I'm thinking of starting another army, but I'm not sure which one =/

I'm looking for a melee focused force that still has some diversity to it. World Eaters seem great for the melee part, but 3 units of berzerkers in rhino's + and spamming all the same terminators doesn't. Orks, I'm afraid of 100+ boys. Is an army of big dredds and meganobs a thing? What are other options are there for melee armies not needing transports?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Alokgen posted:

I'm thinking of starting another army, but I'm not sure which one =/

I'm looking for a melee focused force that still has some diversity to it. World Eaters seem great for the melee part, but 3 units of berzerkers in rhino's + and spamming all the same terminators doesn't. Orks, I'm afraid of 100+ boys. Is an army of big dredds and meganobs a thing? What are other options are there for melee armies not needing transports?

Maybe a tyranid monsters list? I'm not sure how good it may be now though

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

imperialparadox posted:

New rhino is about the same hull size as the old one ao dont worry. Its just the scale in 40k is weird.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

titty_baby_ posted:

Maybe a tyranid monsters list? I'm not sure how good it may be now though

Eldar wraiths with axes and walkers?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Brains also tend to assume vehicles are bigger than they are, and often make weird scale decisions based on that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Snail Information posted:

New rhino is about the same hull size as the old one ao dont worry. Its just the scale in 40k is weird.

Yea, this is true, tons of the transport vehicles don't look at all like they could carry their supposed capacity - rhinos in particular have always looked a little silly for ten marines to fit in, but it's true more or less across the range.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got a some Assault Intercessors done, just in time for a game today!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Did Operative Requisition Sanctioned get deleted when they updated Assassin rules in PA8? I was going to bring one to fill out the last few free points in a pure Knights army, but it looks like the only way to do it now means spending 3CP for a Vanguard, or 2CP plus units for an allied Patrol.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I don't know if they will do more. If they do I think it'll be a short term gimmick, and not just because the selection is meh.

It's such an out of character thing for the company to put out I suspect it was a reaction to a critical storage issues caused by the pandemic. Even with a newly expanded warehouse, having to shut everything down and then re-open with months of releases backed up and ever more in the pipeline I can see them needing to find space in a hurry. That and they turned down the government assistance money, so they may have wanted to kill two birds with one stone and get a quick extra injection of cash.

The fact that over half the value of the Underworlds box was game add on instead of actual models absolutely says they were just using this to unload extra stock. And the models in there are really bad, Champions of Dreadfane was already a bad value since it was just two $15 easy to build kits sold with some rules for $50- 60.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The fact that over half the value of the Underworlds box was game add on instead of actual models absolutely says they were just using this to unload extra stock. And the models in there are really bad, Champions of Dreadfane was already a bad value since it was just two $15 easy to build kits sold with some rules for $50- 60.

Was there any doubt? The fact that contents were/are region based made it pretty obviously a way to unload stock imho.

The only time I ever saw a sale in a gw store was to unload old stock (I bought a metal Karamazov). It was the busiest I ever saw that store.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Trying to figure out how I'm gonna paint my necrons. How does this look as a basic theme?

JackMann fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 9, 2020

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

JackMann posted:

Trying to figure out how I'm gonna paint my necrons. How does this look as a basic theme?

Honestly it looks like a less good version of the new poster boy Szarekhan Dynasty, which is in itself a sharp scheme.

If you want to do your own thing, you can get some ideas from the Community page here or here.

Among the canon dynasties, Nihilakh is probably my favorite. Nevertheless, I plan on doing a similar scheme to the tan and grey (with electric blue) dudes from the "Painted by Experts" article.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, the necrons that came with my indomitus box came with some rules/unit stats, but those have some special abilities in which I have to refer to the codex. Given that the resurrection part of necrons seems important to playing them I guess I need to buy the codex. Will there be a new necron codex coming out to go along with the new models? I would have to buy a codex only to have it obsolete in a week or two.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, the necrons that came with my indomitus box came with some rules/unit stats, but those have some special abilities in which I have to refer to the codex. Given that the resurrection part of necrons seems important to playing them I guess I need to buy the codex. Will there be a new necron codex coming out to go along with the new models? I would have to buy a codex only to have it obsolete in a week or two.

The new codex is coming out in October, but if you’re curious about the necron rules, there’s a Goonhammer article for playing your first game of 9th that gives you a good idea of what those abilities are without needing the codex or resorting to files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Living Metal lets the unit that has it regenerate one lost wound at the start of each of your turns (not all turns, just yours).

Reanimation Protocol lets you roll a d6 for each model in a unit that still exists/wasn't destroyed, and on a 5+ that model is returned to the field in coherency with the unit it was from, also at the start of each of your turns. For example, if you have a squad of six Destroyers and lose three of them, then at the start of your turn (Command Phase), you would roll 3d6, and then for each result of 5 or 6 you would get one of the lost models back.

There is no limit to how long ago a model was destroyed to bring it back; the only models you can't bring back are from units that were completely destroyed, or models that fled due to morale/combat attrition.