Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

very much looking forward to falwell's next moves

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1291843435230564352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

very much looking forward to falwell's next moves

He's going to make a move on some very open minded couples at a Florida yacht club.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
https://twitter.com/hannahgais/status/1291818512818806784
new levels of Vince McMahon interest unlocked by reading through the list lol

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

say what you will about the definitely NOT COINTELPRO “antifascists” of twitter, but they provide excellent content

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
king
https://twitter.com/joshua4congress/status/1291633052414664705?s=21

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tim Pool, Sam Kriss, Jean Luc Melenchon, Michael Moore, Michael Moore, Tim Heidecker, Mehdi Hasan

This person is all over the place

THS
Sep 15, 2017

at least he owns it. i would never run for public office because i know i would immediately have constant panic attacks

THS
Sep 15, 2017

that and someone would find my posting history from GBS in 2003 and i do not want to explain any of that

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tim Pool, Sam Kriss, Jean Luc Melenchon, Michael Moore, Michael Moore, Tim Heidecker, Mehdi Hasan

This person is all over the place

Michael Tracey and Saagar Enjeti :psyduck:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

bappin

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John Dolan, Mark Ames, Matt Taibbi, Jeremy Corbyn

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
bapped again

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

amber is the most powerful chapo because she is only one listed individually

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

that list really needs dsa president nick mullen to be complete

also joe rogan :rolleye:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Inward Empire finished with their five-part series on Ngo Dinh Diem and South Vietnam (in July, haha, but I personally only finished listening to it yesterday).

Strong recommend from me for anyone interested in the time period.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

saagar/krystal ball’s co host is on there lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

Inward Empire finished with their five-part series on Ngo Dinh Diem and South Vietnam (in July, haha, but I personally only finished listening to it yesterday).

nice, i just started getting interested in vietnamese history.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

a Loving Dog posted:

the names i recognize from this are good

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

thats literally just a list of big twitter users

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

i just did a another listen to all of it for the last one. poo poo bangs.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Varinn posted:

thats literally just a list of big twitter users

they are not what's bappin

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

it's poo poo like this that makes me think the cia is just a big make work program for psychopath fail children

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Percelus posted:

it's poo poo like this that makes me think the cia is just a big make work program for psychopath fail children

that would explain so much

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
the titans of twitter are going to war

https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1291851488298500099

https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1291864273048735745

RottenK has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Aug 8, 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-cia-pentagon-isis-20160327-story.html

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh my god shut the gently caress up you loving liberal dickhead aaauguggghhhrrraagghhhh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

oh my god shut the gently caress up you loving liberal dickhead aaauguggghhhrrraagghhhh

let_them_fight.gif

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

can we have a poll/gang tags etc for posters to pick sides as snyder acolytes or bappists

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

Joe Rogan is on the list, so you can tell where that person is on the right/left axis.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
"Alright folks all hands on deck. Time for a United Front Against the Bap."

:rolleye:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/roun_sa_ville/status/1291938153218138112?s=20

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the list is just the people who will tell the truth about Syria

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

let_them_fight.gif

I prefer the Simpsons monkey fight

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

RottenK posted:

the titans of twitter are going to war

this is like when an undercover cop gets arrested for drug dealing

animist
Aug 28, 2018
their handlers day drinking and taking bets in a basement at langley

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
HyperNormalisation is so good, except that one point where Curtis goes "Trump defeated the press because journalists are dedicated to the truth". It's one of the few places where he outright editorializes, and it could not be more false. In general the film does suffer from a lack of focus on how complicit the press is in the problem he describes.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
hypernormalisation originally came from alexei yurchak, an anthropologist who wrote a book about the late-soviet phenomenon which... i haven't read... but i've read some interviews with him that are pretty interesting. i think it is somewhat like a game of telephone where his work on late-soviet culture has jumped several levels. i also think it's probably peter pomerantsev who is responsible for more of the editorializing that then worked its way into the media. see his book "nothing is true and everything is possible"

mark ames wrote about pomerantsev:

quote:

This is what makes Pomerantsev a particularly complicated and interesting character-study for me. Because on the one hand, his book's thesis — Kremlin political technologists manipulating a virtual reality via television on a vast new scale — has a lot of truth to it, and is worth studying. But the other part of the thesis, that this is something completely new and invented by Putin, is so patently false it makes a mockery of his own reader. It isn't just that Kremlin reality-distortion and political technology began under Yeltsin with the full backing and advice of the West; it's that our own governments are guilty of this as well, as anyone who remembers the fake WMD scare to invade Iraq can tell you.

You might forgive Pomerantsev's omissions if he wasn't so perceptive and intelligent, or if he was an obvious old-school neocon meat-head, from whom one expects nothing at all. His descriptions of Kremlin propaganda, and the “political technologists”’ mastery of stage-managing a virtual reality designed to keep Putin in power and project a sense of stability, are important for anyone interested in politics and perception-management.

[...]

Pomerantsev doesn't provide this sort of broader context, it turns out, because that would get in the way of where he wants to lead us — to alarmist conclusions, and a familiar old neocon agenda, which he peddles hard and crude at the end of his book, where he portrays Putin’s Russia as a direct existential threat to everything westerners cherish.

The real giveaway for me, which got me looking into who Pomerantsev works for, was his choice of heroes in the scary Kremlin information wars: western investors, and western global financial institutions. People like billionaire vulture capitalist Bill Browder, the bloodless grandson of former US Communist Party leader Earl Browder, who served as Putin’s most loyal attack dog while he was raking in his billions, but then transformed himself into the Andrei Sakharov of vulture capitalism as soon as Putin’s KGB tossed Browder out of their circle and decided to keep his share of the take for themselves.

Pomerantsev is so close to Browder, we learn from his book, that he even serves as one of Browder’s lobbyists before the British parliament to push through an anti-Kremlin sanctions bill, the Magnitsky Act, bankrolled by Browder’s ill-begotten stash.

quote:

Last year, Pomernatsev co-authored another one of these slick Legatum white papers with an up-and-coming neocon from the late George W. Bush era, Michael Weiss. Together, Pomerantsev and Weiss summed up the threat Russia's avant-garde political technologies pose to world order, warning:

“Ultimately, international networks of anti-corruption NGOs could play a similar role to that of human rights campaigners played in the 1970s and ‘80s.

“The debate about ‘corruption’ in Russia is not, therefore, just about slipping bribes or the odd bit of nepotism. It is a struggle to establish genuine democratic capitalism and to defy postmodern dictatorship. Instead of helping, the West is making things worse.”

That Pomerantsev would team up with a neocon as compromised as Michael Weiss is enough to call into question the value of everything he's written. During the late Bush years, Weiss worked for the neocon organ of Bill Kristol, the Weekly Standard; afterwards, Weiss headed up a neocon PR project, "Just Journalism," which policed the English-language press for any journalism critical of Israel in the wake of its brutal war on Gaza in 2008-9. Then, as Syria descended into civil war, Weiss became one of the leading neocon warmongers pushing for America to invade Syria. Perhaps most troubling of all when it comes to Pomerantsev’s credibility — Weiss played a lead role in promoting the career of one of the most notorious academic frauds of our time, Elizabeth O’Bagy, the fake Syria “expert” whom Weiss teamed up with to argue for war in Syria. Apparently after O’Bagy was exposed as a fraud with no Syria credentials, Weiss skulked away, only to reappear with a new co-author—Peter Pomeranstev—and a new beat: Putin's Russia. Despite having zero Russia background and expertise, Weiss has successfully reemerged lately as a Russia expert on various TV news programs — the Elizabeth O’Bagy of Putin critics — and Pomerantsev’s role in this partnership appears to be laundering Weiss' credentials.

Last November, Weiss and Pomerantsev presented their white paper on Russia to the National Endowment for Democracy, the notorious Cold War arm of the US empire set up by Reagan’s CIA director Bill Casey. The event was moderated by the chief of another “color revolution” neocon outfit, Freedom House.

And just last month, Pomerantsev was in Washington lobbying — what else? — Congress on behalf of his billionaire vulture fund boss and the neocons they’re aligned with. You can see on Legatum’s website how proud Master Chandler must be of his shaggy-haired neocon’s lobbying abilities.

It just goes on and on and on — not just the neocon connections, but this specific subspecies of neocon: shaggy, scruffy-faced, Brooklyn hipster neocons. . . .

And at the very end of Pomerantsev’s book, in his acknowledgements, he thanks Ben Judah for giving him the final edit read-through.

Really? Ben Judah? Can’t the neocon veal pen try a little harder? This is just insulting. Judah, for those who don’t know, got busted last year forging what had been his biggest scoop ever for Politico magazine: Judah alleged, falsely, that Putin had secretly proposed to Poland’s president in 2008 to carve up Ukraine together. The Polish president whom Putin supposedly offered half of Ukraine to is now dead, so he couldn’t deny it. The point of Judah’s article was to “prove” that Putin had all along intended to invade and carve up Ukraine, rather than Putin reacting to the 2014 US-backed overthrow of Viktor Yanukovych. (Judah also took to the New York Times calling on the US to "arm Ukraine".)

Welp, wouldnchaknow it, Judah’s source for his Big Scoop was none other than the husband of Legatum Institute’s Anne Applebaum. His name is Radislow Sikorski, and he’s the looniest of Poland’s neocons. Nothing about Judah's scoop made sense—why would Putin offer such an inane plan to a NATO enemy? But the best lies aren’t the most complicated lies, they’re the lies people want to believe. And everyone wanted to believe Judah’s story—except Polish journalists, who saw through it. They did what journalists do and questioned Sikorski for more details. Sikorski stuttered and stammered and admitted he’d made it all up, and apologized. So did most media that ran Judah’s false story. Sikorski even disowned Judah and Politico. But you won’t find a retraction on Judah’s story. It’s still there, proud as a peacock.

This is the same guy whom Pomerantsev thanks for editing his book.
https://pando.com/2015/05/17/neocons-2-0-the-problem-with-peter-pomerantsev/

https://twitter.com/kosh_1/status/982388302056775681

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 13:55 on Aug 8, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
here's an interview with yurchak that i do think is interesting, and goes into avant-garde music groups (similar to laibach) that proliferated during the late soviet years:

quote:

There was another important experience in my work with AVIA. It was more than a band: it was also a theater, with twenty performers on stage, and with amazing artists and actors affiliated with it, all working towards recreating a remarkable Soviet spectacle on stage, with elements of Soviet parades, meetings, human pyramids, ideological symbols, avant-garde poetry—all wrapped into a mixture of punk, ska, and military march music. This was done ironically, but with a straight face and in a style that invoked not only enthusiasm but also insanity. For example, one of our tours was called Navstrechu 1000-letiyu velikogo oktyabrya! (Let’s Meet the 1000 Year Anniversary of the Great October Revolution!), which was an overblown version of a common party slogan that called on everyone to work “Towards the 70th anniversary of the Great October”, or Lenin’s “100th anniversary.” One thousand years replaced one hundred years to stress that the group was even more enthusiastic, overly enthusiastic, in its use of the official party rhetoric, than the party functionaries themselves. This was instantly hilarious to the audience, but it also seemed strange to many viewers, since most other informal rock bands tried to be either apolitical or, by the end of Perestroika, overtly critical of Soviet slogans. But AVIA performed under a huge Soviet-looking banner, on which slogans were not ridiculed, but “over-celebrated.” The point was to remain pure to the ideological form—to march, sing and perform enthusiastically, like stereotypical “good Soviets,” but also to do this in a manner that was somewhat over-the-top. This subverted the meaning of everything without explicitly describing the act of subversion.

Many informal musicians and artists in the Soviet Union felt that if an artist performed a direct, explicit attack on Soviet ideology his/her art was uninteresting, banal, or in bad taste. Of course, expressing direct support for the Soviet party rhetoric was even worse. It was important to maintain a subtle balance—to be ironic but not explicitly so, to be critical but not negative. AVIA always tried not only to be ironic towards the rigid ideological symbols and rhetoric, showing their absurdity, but also to preserve some warmth and respect towards the original revolutionary, utopian, avant-garde ideals from which these ideological symbols had emerged. Later we learned that a similar position was practiced by the Slovenian rock group Laibach, the art group Irwin, and by other members of the Neue Slowenische Kunst (NSK) movement. We saw their videos for the first time around 1988.(2) In Laibach’s performances, “totalitarian” images and symbols were also treated in an ambivalent manner. However, Laibach’s style was serious, somber, and even spooky, while AVIA’s was insanely enthusiastic and fun.
https://artmargins.com/interview-with-alexei-yurchak/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyIbGicgfPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

here's an interview with yurchak that i do think is interesting, and goes into avant-garde music groups (similar to laibach) that proliferated during the late soviet years:

https://artmargins.com/interview-with-alexei-yurchak/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyIbGicgfPs

I will check that band out. I'm a big Laibach fan, and while I don't think their approach can be summed up as exaggerated adherence to circumvent censorship (that would be missing the point, and also they did get banned), there for sure are some other ex-yugoslav bands that went down that path. Check out Idolis (google translated) lyrics for the song Maljciki:

code:

The fiery dawn wakes me from my sleep
Factory mornings, chimney smoke
A song is sung, young workers
Steel mornings, I rush to the factory

My comrades, working, happy
Bicycles ride, everyone is proud
My comrades, working, happy
We will bring new victories

The sun is already warming, the wind is blowing
Morning dew, fragrant earth
The sun is already warming, and a a a a a