Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Every time I play this game with strangers on discord they are nicer to me than my brother and friends. Had a fun and relaxing 9man trash clear in hate then switched to getting yelled at while helping a 38 druid level who wants to call me a poo poo player while he melees on his halfling druid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

koreban posted:

It’s the guild leader.

I still told him to shut the gently caress up. When he didn’t I had a wizard give him a TL box.

He stopped after that, but I’d still put him in touch with Triality folks. Even if just to have them completely not remember him.

Lol yeah. That's just comically stupid. "I was in such a good guild back in 2003"

I honestly don't know if they expect anyone to read it and think they are automatically good at EQ.

Everyone that played in 2003 or 2001 or 1999 or whatever was bad. I dont care if you were FoH or Afterlife or TR or whatever. We were all garbage. lol

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

FranktheBank posted:

Lol yeah. That's just comically stupid. "I was in such a good guild back in 2003"

I honestly don't know if they expect anyone to read it and think they are automatically good at EQ.

Everyone that played in 2003 or 2001 or 1999 or whatever was bad. I dont care if you were FoH or Afterlife or TR or whatever. We were all garbage. lol

Pretty much. The knowledge base and general skill level these days is WAY higher.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Rallos posted:

Pretty much. The knowledge base and general skill level these days is WAY higher.

I think the game is at least twice as easy, too.

-Revamped EQ Death: People act like it sucks and its the end of the world if you can't get a res in 2020 Lower Guk, but in reality the experience penalty is a tiny fraction of what it used to be. Also, remember corpse runs?

-Revamped stats: Experience rates are normalized across all races/classes, "frustrating" racial abilities like bad human nightvision are greatly reduced or removed

-Revamped stats (cont'd): Somebody in an enchanter forum did a test comparing charm duration with 100 CHA vs. max CHA on the daybreak modern game, and there was something like a +1% success rate increase. They've completely removed the need for gear while simultaneously making money charging people to reskin their SSoY.

There's plenty more (extended target window, etc.) but I think you get the point.
---

I think "knowledge base and general skill level" can explain the 2020 WoW speed clears and stuff (even though 1.12 is also easier than 1.0 WoW), but this version of EQ is absolutely nothing like the original game.

This sounds like a P99 recruitment post from 10 years ago but I'm gonna post it anyway. Also, I remember the last time I got suckered into this on Coirnav we definitely didn't have an extended target window. So they're actively making it less classic every time they launch a new TLP?

edit: This -20% DPS nerf to charmed pets has been great because now every group needs two enchanters instead of just one. Thanks for making the poo poo classes even less desirable!

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I am going to counter with the game was never hard.

Elephunk posted:

-Revamped EQ Death: People act like it sucks and its the end of the world if you can't get a res in 2020 Lower Guk, but in reality the experience penalty is a tiny fraction of what it used to be. Also, remember corpse runs?
I never really lost a corpse to a death. Sometimes it just wasted an entire day getting it back or finding a necro to run out to wherever I was.

Elephunk posted:

-Revamped stats: Experience rates are normalized across all races/classes, "frustrating" racial abilities like bad human nightvision are greatly reduced or removed

All the xp racial class things were also not difficult, just tedious. Also, it led to hybrids, especially troll/ogre, getting less groups,

Elephunk posted:

-Revamped stats (cont'd): Somebody in an enchanter forum did a test comparing charm duration with 100 CHA vs. max CHA on the daybreak modern game, and there was something like a +1% success rate increase. They've completely removed the need for gear while simultaneously making money charging people to reskin their SSoY.

I'll concede that charm is less risky. But the need for gear has been grossly overstated by a lot of people. You can kill everything in classic and probably in kunark with classic pre-planar gear. Also, I dont see how charging people for a cosmetic is bad.

Elephunk posted:

I think "knowledge base and general skill level" can explain the 2020 WoW speed clears and stuff (even though 1.12 is also easier than 1.0 WoW), but this version of EQ is absolutely nothing like the original game.

I think you're just disenchanted because you've done it all before. There is no more sense of wonder. We can't recapture it. Also, EQ sucks as a game. We are just too stupid to move on.

Elephunk posted:

This sounds like a P99 recruitment post from 10 years ago but I'm gonna post it anyway. Also, I remember the last time I got suckered into this on Coirnav we definitely didn't have an extended target window. So they're actively making it less classic every time they launch a new TLP?

Yes, classic sucks and it deserves to be changed. The selling point is basically "your first favorite mmo, now with some QoL!" and its great.

Elephunk posted:

edit: This -20% DPS nerf to charmed pets has been great because now every group needs two enchanters instead of just one. Thanks for making the poo poo classes even less desirable!

You have to be joking lol. No group is saying "we cant xp with one enchanter anymore, we need two before we can find a camp!" They nerfed literally the strongest classic class in the game by 20%, still making them the strongest classic class and people are somehow upset. As for making classes undesirable, check your point 2.

The point is, if you want to relive how 'hardcore' and 'brutal' (see: tedious) the game was, play p99. If you want to enjoy EQ for shits and giggles, play actual EQ.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I just want to point out that I’m not as bad at EQ as I used to be, even when I was doing the hardcore top-end raiding treadmill.

But the average EQ player base (that isn’t the classic->PoP every time folks) totally are just as bad as they’ve always been.

The shitlord former Triality guy that’s the defecto leader of my guild got a reality check yesterday when we hit the Rathe Council wall. We lost based on a couple folks being out, and the average level of gear and AAs across the raid being somewhere slightly above bazaar best.

I told him I was giving the guild the GoD launch week off raids to get AAs and do non-DKP stuff as participation allowed because we have a time geared ranger offtanking Rathe councilmen better than some of our warriors.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what's GoD like on TLP servers? I have extremely bad memories of that expansion from when it was current and I figure they've got to have culled the bullshit by now

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

blatman posted:

what's GoD like on TLP servers? I have extremely bad memories of that expansion from when it was current and I figure they've got to have culled the bullshit by now

I loved it on Phinny. Definitely some challenging fights, but it was fun progression and 100% doable. Nothing like the horror stories I had heard about it from launch. With all the power creep + nerfing GoD got, it's great now, IMO.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012

blatman posted:

GoD through DoDH on Phinny was the most fun I’ve ever had playing EQ. Pretty much every xpac after ldon is awesome. Prophecy of Ro and the buried sea Can go gently caress off though.

r0rb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 29, 2020

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

blatman posted:

Easily top 3 so far. Its the first real challenge, but it feels rewarding.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

glad to see GoD got some love, I liked the setting and story but man was it rough around the edges when it first came out

I kind of hope we get to revisit that continent at some point as a live expansion because even though they expanded on the plot, the actual landmass has been pretty much ignored outside of maybe a few epics as far as I'm aware, but it looks like next expansion is gonna be velious 3 which is fine I guess, maybe we'll finally get a Plane of Mischief revamp that isn't a dumpster

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
I'm sure GoD itself was changed since launch, but mostly we got a shitload stronger.

For instance, we found some old logs from RoF era where guild's top dpsers were pushing like 90-100k on burn.

Currently, on TLP (Selo in this instance), as a paladin, i am pushing like 70k against non-undead and monks are doing like 150k+

So we are at least 50% stronger. I would venture to say we on TLPs are twice as strong (if not stronger) as the content was in era. We have the innate +dmg AAs, mod2/heroic changes, AA changes, etc.

If you apply that to Live GoD in 2004, I am sure if guilds had twice as powerful members, it would have been beaten.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I swear Kod'Taz mobs on Live hit for like 1500+, but on Mangler they're closer to half that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Did the level-up SFX in Elder Scrolls Arena and the quest turn-in SFX in EQ1 share the same sound? If so, how and why? It's kind of blowing my mind.

Check this out for reference: https://youtu.be/pt42C_SfMDw?t=11m1s

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It's a pretty common trumpet fanfare, guessing it was just a stock sound they bought or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiT924AjcCw&t=7s

e: lol pretty sure the parachute opening sound from MDK is also the bag opening sound in EQ.

suuma fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 27, 2020

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

My dad has been playing classic EQ and now I am doing it too. OP is a bit old, where are goons and/or interesting things these days? Anyone on Discord?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Doc Fission posted:

My dad has been playing classic EQ and now I am doing it too. OP is a bit old, where are goons and/or interesting things these days? Anyone on Discord?

There’s a TLP discord but it’s hardly ever used. Goons are spread out amongst the servers (Xegony, Luclin, Selos, Mangler, Aradune) I don’t know if anyone’s on Rizlona.

Mostly it’ll come down to whatever you’re looking for.

If you want the modified classic experience, Aradune is your best bet. kunark is going to unlock in a month or so.

If you want the post-PoP experience, Mangler is going to be your jam. Omens opens in 4 weeks.

Otherwise, you might as well go for one of the Live servers.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
There’s a couple of us goons still playing on phinigel. EoK opens in a couple weeks so we are pretty close to live.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
It's been a very long time since I've poked at EQ, but I'm debating firing up my old account again while stuck at home just to explore some of the old stomping grounds.

I did have a quick question - some of my favorite memories in this game were running instances in Lost Dungeons of Norrath. Can those be run solo with a merc these days? Or do you still need a group to do it?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Uncle Ulty posted:

It's been a very long time since I've poked at EQ, but I'm debating firing up my old account again while stuck at home just to explore some of the old stomping grounds.

I did have a quick question - some of my favorite memories in this game were running instances in Lost Dungeons of Norrath. Can those be run solo with a merc these days? Or do you still need a group to do it?

I can't remember for sure, but you might need at least three (including merc) to request the actual mission. I ran a bunch via 2box (with mercs) to get that Everfrost +dodge augment.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, you need a minimum of 3 characters to run LDoN dungeons.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Hmm, I thought so. That's too bad. I'm interested in checking it out again, but not enough to set up a second account and fresh character, and figure out how to 2box. I might pop in to wander around though.

But honestly my nostalgia runs all the way to when Freeport was 3 zones and spending my time on the Orc Highway in Oasis of Marr - watching out for spectres and Sand Giants, so I'm not even sure how much is still there that I'd remember. Thanks!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
None of the old zones will be in the classic configuration on TLP or live servers. You’d need to go to P99 for that.

If you wanted to join Mangler, we’re opening Omens of War this month, so some people are still running LDoNs.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Uncle Ulty posted:

Hmm, I thought so. That's too bad. I'm interested in checking it out again, but not enough to set up a second account and fresh character, and figure out how to 2box. I might pop in to wander around though.

But honestly my nostalgia runs all the way to when Freeport was 3 zones and spending my time on the Orc Highway in Oasis of Marr - watching out for spectres and Sand Giants, so I'm not even sure how much is still there that I'd remember. Thanks!

I'd highly recommend p99 just play for a month or however long it takes to get you bored. It's really the only place that is gonna come even close to letting you stroll down memory lane with a ton of other people.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
pretty excited for kunark on rizlona. seems like there should be alot more to do outside raiding and making krono to support the 6 boxing habit my brother and i have. Just wish the sk sword needed for the epic was on golems in kunark instead of velious.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
Kunark is fun if it's your first TLP. You are excited for the VP and epics and class gear

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

snergle posted:

pretty excited for kunark on rizlona. seems like there should be alot more to do outside raiding and making krono to support the 6 boxing habit my brother and i have. Just wish the sk sword needed for the epic was on golems in kunark instead of velious.

Excited for kunark on aradune. Ended up with a squad of ex-Red/Blue players with an overlap of Eve players I knew or was tangentially connected to. Good group, if not a little trolly / aggressive about camps and competition.

Girlfriend is enjoying it and starting to really get the game as a SK. She's super geared with multiple sky drops, though she doesn't understand how much better equipped she is than the average player.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Excited for kunark on aradune. Ended up with a squad of ex-Red/Blue players with an overlap of Eve players I knew or was tangentially connected to. Good group, if not a little trolly / aggressive about camps and competition.

Girlfriend is enjoying it and starting to really get the game as a SK. She's super geared with multiple sky drops, though she doesn't understand how much better equipped she is than the average player.

Is that Venid’s guild? I forget what he told me it’s called now.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Rallos posted:

Is that Venid’s guild? I forget what he told me it’s called now.

Qeynos Militiamen. I don't know what they were in on Red Blue, but the GM was a C0DE. guy in Eve, and I was relatively chill with them.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

It's actually hilarious how big the gap becomes between raid and group geared tanks. It's semi-noticeable in classic/kunark. In velious is where it gets insane.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

FranktheBank posted:

It's actually hilarious how big the gap becomes between raid and group geared tanks. It's semi-noticeable in classic/kunark. In velious is where it gets insane.

How’s Selo doing? We’re shooting to unlock and clear EoK tier2 raids on Sunday here in OGC on phinigel. Whoever the other goon is on phinny feel free to give me a shout if you see me. (I’m szinga)

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
It's fine. RoF was cool, but was actually too much loot. Kinda killed the incentive for some folks to raid. COTF is eh. Gear isnt that big of an increase, i'll go into TDS with almost all RoF t3/t4.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Reading this thread it seems there is no one server or guild for goons, but is there a EQ Discord with goons ?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

mfny posted:

Reading this thread it seems there is no one server or guild for goons, but is there a EQ Discord with goons ?

There is, it’s really not super active.

https://discord.gg/yxx4qF

It might be easier to ask about goons on your particular server and reach out here or in-game

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
I am thinking of coming back via buying the latest expansion and using the 85 boost to roll a new character on a standard server ..

Thoughts on server and class ?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

mfny posted:

I am thinking of coming back via buying the latest expansion and using the 85 boost to roll a new character on a standard server ..

Thoughts on server and class ?

I’m on TLPs, can’t speak to live servers.

I hear paladins are all the rage now though.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
If youre just dabbling, FV is nice.

I think Xegony, CT and BB are the other populated live servers.

Phinny and Selo are two TLPs that have heroics unlocked.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Definitely play on a TLP if you want any semblance of the nostalgic EQ feel.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Any further thoughts on classes, specifically ones to certainly avoid ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

mfny posted:

Any further thoughts on classes, specifically ones to certainly avoid ?

Depends on what you wanna do. I think best case is probably two boxing some combo like shadow knight shaman. But I personally played a bard and loved it. I liked pulling in groups and the variety of different things you can do as a bard.

I was playing on mangler since it started but just stopped a few weeks ago. Mangler is still pretty active.