Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Can you export patches from the Katana? I'm really not a fan of fiddling with menus on my gear and it would be neat to be able to download some settings from soneone who knows what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pondex posted:

Can you export patches from the Katana? I'm really not a fan of fiddling with menus on my gear and it would be neat to be able to download some settings from soneone who knows what they're doing.

Yeah!

Here's some of mine

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cl1A8f5Wtyn4SoaF1E7ygO_NWXLj3K0w/view?usp=sharing

how to import:

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/importing-patches-into-tone-studio-ka-005

Download a patch (like JGTR Kleen Start patch which I use to demo stuff) which will have a .tsl extension.
Open Boss Tone Studio and connect your amplifier by USB.
Click the Library button on the left hand side.
Click the import button on the top middle of the main screen.
Select the file you wish to import (a .tsl file)
And boom - you have imported it into your library!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

former glory posted:

Gah! You guys have done it. I'm going to pick up a Katana 50 tomorrow to replace this old Line 6 Spider IV 15 I have for practice under my desk. I think it'll solve the problem of not having my pedal board on tap when I'm making stuff, since I can just dial effects on my PC. I'm thinking I could hook the REC output up to my DAW for loops and then it's instant practice without having to fire up the tube amp and board. I spend like 75% of my time playing on my practice amp and I just hate this spider thing so much.

I have the same line 6 amp. It was given to me and I don't really like it much either. I've been forced to use it alot more since my significant other started working from home. I used to have a Marshall mg10 that sounded better. I am replacing mine with a Supro Blues king 10 I got a good deal on so I will probably try to donate the line 6 once it arrives. The katana seems cool but I was looking for something with smaller dimensions that sounds greasy so hopefully the supro will do the job.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wired up the franken-telecaster for dad and it plays fine but has a little more hum to it on the bridge pickup than my bought-in-store tele. It goes away when I touch the control plate but not when I touch the bridge or the strings.

I followed the wiring diagram that came with the harness, which didn't list grounding the bridge plate. It is grounded to the jack. Dad has asked for it back, "just whenever" and I don't want to hand him something dangerous. Is working out that hum something I should do before I turn it over, or probably just telecasters being telecasters?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Huxley posted:

I wired up the franken-telecaster for dad and it plays fine but has a little more hum to it on the bridge pickup than my bought-in-store tele. It goes away when I touch the control plate but not when I touch the bridge or the strings.

I followed the wiring diagram that came with the harness, which didn't list grounding the bridge plate. It is grounded to the jack. Dad has asked for it back, "just whenever" and I don't want to hand him something dangerous. Is working out that hum something I should do before I turn it over, or probably just telecasters being telecasters?

The bridge should be grounded with everything else, but if it's at the jack and so is the control plate ground then you'll be fine. There's nothing dangerous about the wiring - any voltage danger would come from the amp end and honestly you have bigger problems than hum to worry about if your amp isn't grounded properly.

Teleecasters do hum a little but there's also the usual variance between pickups, how well the factory bothered to shield the guitar (probably barely), the setup in the room etc. They won't sound identical - just check all your points are solid and then chalk the rest up to environmental factors.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
My band rehearses just using a PA.

I really want to start using in ear monitors to start hearing my vocals and my guitar playing.

What would I need to accomplish this?

Would I need to plug all of our vocals and mic up our instruments and plug them into an external mixer and then out that to the PA? Would that help me use in ears? That way it would be like doing it at a live show with a mix board.

Or, can I skip the extra mixer part and just use in ears with the PA? But, I guess that wouldn’t let me mic up and hear my guitar work.....

Help, goons, you’re my only hope.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Katana people should look into Sneaky Amps to basically cover everything you'll need.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Huxley posted:

If the hum goes away when you touch the control plate but not when you touch the bridge or strings there's a bad connection in the grounding with the bridge. This is not a dangerous issue.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Huxley posted:

Is the bridge grounded to anything? Not all wiring diagrams include the bridge ground in their diagrams for whatever reason.

If you feel like fixing it, there should be a wire coming from a small channel in the side of the control route. You just need to connect that to the ground on the back of one of the pots. Alternately, you can solder a wire to a strip of copper tape that you'd sandwich between the bridge and body, then run through the pickup cavity. It won't look as nice but it'll be a lot easier to swap wires/remove.

Either way, the hums not dangerous. The guitar will just be noiser.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

but if i was buying a new one, i would try this https://www.paigemusical.com

i ended up getting one of these. it works well, and it lives behind the nut on my main acoustic guitar now. the shubb capo is off somewhere getting dusty lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

does the bridge pickup have a metal baseplate? tele bridge pickups traditionally do, and that acts as the bridge/string ground via the mounting screws, which is why a lot of tele wiring diagrams don't include a bridge ground wire

just add a bridge ground wire to whichever pot's the common ground

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Captain Apollo posted:

My band rehearses just using a PA.

I really want to start using in ear monitors to start hearing my vocals and my guitar playing.

What would I need to accomplish this?

Would I need to plug all of our vocals and mic up our instruments and plug them into an external mixer and then out that to the PA? Would that help me use in ears? That way it would be like doing it at a live show with a mix board.

Or, can I skip the extra mixer part and just use in ears with the PA? But, I guess that wouldn’t let me mic up and hear my guitar work.....

Help, goons, you’re my only hope.

IEMs are a bit of a minefield but ideally you'd take a monitor feed off a mixing desk of some kind, yes. The more instruments you have mic'd the more control you'll have, but for small rooms a room mic and a vocal monitor feed from the PA will generally suffice.

Big thing with IEMs is you don't actually need all the instruments in them. It'll just take up headroom you don't have and you'll end up fighting volume wars but at high DB right into your ears, so get used to only asking for the things you absolutely need - I generally ask for kick, snare, my bass, and my vocal monitors plus the lead vocal. It's amazing how much the monitors will naturally cut down room sound so you can hear the missing parts a bit clearer.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Since someone on the last page asked about shoegaze pedals I figured I’d suggest two of my favorites: the EarthQuaker Dispatch Master and Afterneath

Dispatch Master
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6_frFZ2OClw

Afterneath
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPn0vrzu_F4

They sound amazing with a bit of fuzz or distortion

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah!

Here's some of mine

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cl1A8f5Wtyn4SoaF1E7ygO_NWXLj3K0w/view?usp=sharing

how to import:

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/importing-patches-into-tone-studio-ka-005

Download a patch (like JGTR Kleen Start patch which I use to demo stuff) which will have a .tsl extension.
Open Boss Tone Studio and connect your amplifier by USB.
Click the Library button on the left hand side.
Click the import button on the top middle of the main screen.
Select the file you wish to import (a .tsl file)
And boom - you have imported it into your library!

Thanks, this is pretty useful! Can you do the same thing with the iOS app assuming you have the katana Air? The more I think about it I want an amp with a iOS app just not sure what the experience is like using the Boss app.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
IDK, I made that tsl file as a backup of my settings in case something ever happened to my amp so I wouldn't have to go insane trying to reremember what I did with the EQ and stuff

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy poo poo katana...

I updated the firmware yesterday without an issue but just spent the last hour trying to hook it up to boss tone studio.

The issue? I had to wiggle the usb cord into the amp juuuuust right. Seems like a defect.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

yay NGD

Been looking at these for years and one popped up in a trade deal here that worked out.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've never seen a 7-string Strat before. Who made it?

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

nwin, I found this really useful in getting to know the Katana last night:

https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/boss-katana

His preset file for Killing in the Name lead and rhythm uses a lot of the features and you get to see the panel settings change in real time. I'm thinking I'm going to tweak a few presets like this and add them to my canned channels to do most of my playing.

Krustic, that line6 was killing me lately. I've been using it a ton this year for the same reasons as you with everyone at home and I've never been able to get it sounding nice + the panel controls are user-hostile. I'm digging the Katana so far, but it's definitely causing me to fiddle around with settings more than playing. I guess once the new toy smell wears off, I'll settle into a groove with some solid presets.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ordered some eBay hot rails. Wanted to spring for some with a brand (any brand at all) but I have to budget tight and will need to buy a soldering iron and some other kit. Wish me luck lol.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bought some oak veneer and shimmed the nut on my SG, which is the first time I've ever done such a repair. I put on strings that are pretty thick (.062 at the thickest string) and the nut already had almost no clearance at the first fret. A youtube video, some superglue and 20 minutes later I am buzz free. Feels good man.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

former glory posted:

nwin, I found this really useful in getting to know the Katana last night:

https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/boss-katana

His preset file for Killing in the Name lead and rhythm uses a lot of the features and you get to see the panel settings change in real time. I'm thinking I'm going to tweak a few presets like this and add them to my canned channels to do most of my playing.

Krustic, that line6 was killing me lately. I've been using it a ton this year for the same reasons as you with everyone at home and I've never been able to get it sounding nice + the panel controls are user-hostile. I'm digging the Katana so far, but it's definitely causing me to fiddle around with settings more than playing. I guess once the new toy smell wears off, I'll settle into a groove with some solid presets.

I think you just sold me on keeping the Boss.

The first video was exactly what I needed, just seeing him run through the 5 Amps with variations and seeing how he tuned the controls really helped me understand that I had literally no loving idea what I was doing. I think in my head I was comparing this amp to my old Peavey amp from 20’years ago which had a overdrive push button on it for any distortion and I’d just use that.

Now to just get a new one where the usb isn’t hosed.

Thanks!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

I've never seen a 7-string Strat before. Who made it?

Fender. They were produced as Squier Stratocaster VII during a couple of years only so there aren’t a ton of them around.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Amp chat: I use a Yamaha Thr10II wireless. It has a lot less options than the katana, but still plenty, and it has an internal battery as well as Bluetooth and app support. I enjoy it a lot, so maybe check it out?

I'm also thinking of buying an offset Squire telecaster pictured below. It seems and sounds cool, but it never hurts to ask for opinions. I'm definitely not going to modify it, so I'd like to know that the pickups and bridge and stuff isn't complete crap.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
If it has the same hardware and pickups as the other Classic Vibe Teles it should be pretty nice, and I can't see a reason it wouldn't use the same parts.

Speaking of Teles, if you're looking for a very cheap Tele Thinline, Amazon has Grote Thinlines in stock, and the black version is $99.99.

For that price I'll risk it, could be a good starting point for a project. Only thing I see bad is the neck, I hate the separate maple fretboard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The 60 Cycle Hum dude seemed pretty smitten with the offset tele, fwiw

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That guitar is pretty rad but he likes what he’s paid to like, from what he told me*. Was a real yikeseroo but unsurprising.

*even that the going rate is usually around $1500

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Man, I could be a millionaire if you paid me $1500 for every bad opinion of mine

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That guitar is pretty rad but he likes what he’s paid to like, from what he told me*. Was a real yikeseroo but unsurprising.

*even that the going rate is usually around $1500

non-instructuonal guitar youtube is just home shopping network

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

non-instructuonal guitar youtube is just home shopping network

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So how often do firefly les Paul’s show up? Looks like the last time was in early July and the ff338 is supposed to be this week.

If I can get a somewhat decent les Paul cop for under $200 I figure I might as well.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know a good acoustic guitar for an 8 year old girl ~$200? My niece has been playing with my guitars and I think I need to buy her one

I can't really go and check out guitars in person because of the pandemic so I want to order something online that I can be reasonably sure is a decent build. I know nothing about youth guitars at all and I don't want to go buying a useless piece of poo poo to get her frustrated with

Like are Yamaha JR1's a decent bet?

She is amazing and I want to get her something that will encourage her to play.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 8, 2020

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I had a pink Daisy Rock acoustic with a cutaway and it played fabulously. Low action, decent sound, fine tuners, it was all there. I could play mostly anything (within my limited technique) on it without feeling hampered by quality issues. Built by Schecter.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 8, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dolphin posted:

Anyone know a good acoustic guitar for an 8 year old girl ~$200? My niece has been playing with my guitars and I think I need to buy her one

I can't really go and check out guitars in person because of the pandemic so I want to order something online that I can be reasonably sure is a decent build. I know nothing about youth guitars at all and I don't want to go buying a useless piece of poo poo to get her frustrated with

drat this was musiciansfriend.com's deal of the day at $200 the other day:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/dangelico-premier-series-utica-mini-acoustic-guitar-with-spruce-top

These will probably work pretty good:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-pf2mhopn-3-4-mini-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar/j02837000001000
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-jr2-3-4-scale-folk-guitar/h80410000002000
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/cort-ad-mini-op-standard-3-4-size-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar/l51528000000000

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dolphin posted:

Yamaha is usually a good bet. But I would recommend looking into a nylon string, the tension is a lot lower, which means you need to spend less time developing finger strength and get less pain which subtracts from the enjoyment. They're also generally cheaper.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BonHair posted:

Amp chat: I use a Yamaha Thr10II wireless. It has a lot less options than the katana, but still plenty, and it has an internal battery as well as Bluetooth and app support. I enjoy it a lot, so maybe check it out?

I'm also thinking of buying an offset Squire telecaster pictured below. It seems and sounds cool, but it never hurts to ask for opinions. I'm definitely not going to modify it, so I'd like to know that the pickups and bridge and stuff isn't complete crap.

The body alone is worth it. I love dark wood like that.

If it's anything like the CV Tele's hardware, you'll be fine. I have no complaints with the pickups, but I did replace the switch with a 4 way to add a series mode.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Recommend against nylon strings for a beginner. They’re spaced wider and they would sound different to most popular music. Most people would wanna play songs and steel strings get you closer.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
For a child's guitar, I do not know. I play a Cordoba Gypsy King (nylon), the string spacing is spaced like regular. I am loyal to the Acquilla brand of strings.
Hell just to be random you can use fishing line for strings, see how that works.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

String spacing is definitely an issue, look out for that.

At 8 years old, I don't know how much you want to emulate anything as much as just learning to play. For older kids, I would recommend funding out their taste and finding something suitable, but at 8, you want to learn your cowboy chords and have fun until you buy your first electric when you want to be Hendrix or Vai or whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i wonder if something like a jim dandy could work?