Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

You're not wrong, but in generally speaking in mainline SMT games friendship does not exist.
Uh...
  • Chaos and Law Hero become your friends and allies, and despite butting heads here and there, they remain so for the 1st third of SMT I.
  • Isamu and Chiaki are at the very least your classmates if not outright buddy-buddy with you even during the conception (before poo poo goes bananas for everyone).
  • Yes, Walter and Johnny Boy are on opposite sides of the alignment shenanigans, but they, along with Isabeau, are part of the newbie squad along with you and are clearly on friendly terms with you for almost one half of the game.
Friendship totally exists on mainline SMT before Apoc. It just... well. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The crew of the Red Sprite are totally your Band of Brothers and Sisters.

Also I don't know if I've mentioned this here but while Nocturne, save for TDE which was added later on, is remarkably neutral and non-judgmental about your and everyone else's actions, Ms. Takao is always treated as somebody the Demi-Fiend actually cares for and thus we the player should feel the same. She's the first thing you see in the game and she singles you/the DF out as the one person she wishes to survive the Conception. I just finished the Obelisk in my current Nocturne run and while you don't know it is a rescue mission, it ends up being that way and you can even tell Hijiri "I saved her." Granted there are two other options but my point is, going there and helping her is about the closest the DF ever gets to having a personality or a real attachment to somebody. She's certainly the only person who is consistently nice to you.

And yeah, Apocalypse has a plot very much in line with mainline SMT. The only difference is we have a large cast of characters who talk a lot and get character development. Sounds like Devil Survivor - SMT plot with Persona characters. Not all SMT games should be this way but it is my preference.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 7, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona as a franchise is entirely about the underside of modern society. It isn't about it being Friendship or anything, it's about the fact that the basic premise is a world lying beneath our world that drags regular people into it without divorcing them entirely from the real world. Every game has an overarching thematic underside it likes to look at with some being stronger than others.

SMTIVA has none of that. It's very much a SMT game through and through, just one with slightly more defined characters in some cases.

I would say that is also why Devil Survivor is not Persona. Both games have specifically set themselves in a setting where modern life has completely collapsed. There is no 'normal' because demons and murder are the new normal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Do we know if they're retooling the encounter rates in Nocturne HD? It feels like every 5 steps I'm fighting new exciting packs of trash and I don't have the patience for it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I forgot about the Red Sprite crew. Especially the Texas dude who's also the biggest egghead on crew!

ImpAtom posted:

I would say that is also why Devil Survivor is not Persona. Both games have specifically set themselves in a setting where modern life has completely collapsed. There is no 'normal' because demons and murder are the new normal.
Sorta funny trivia thing: At least the first DeSu title inherited the 「女神異聞録」 "Strange Tales of the Goddess" series header from the early Persona series!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Do we know if they're retooling the encounter rates in Nocturne HD? It feels like every 5 steps I'm fighting new exciting packs of trash and I don't have the patience for it

We honestly don't know anything much about what they are retooling. Most likely they'll do at least some retooling since that is common in all re-releases but it's hard to say how much.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SMT4A is like Perosna in that it has consistent party members who have more characterization that isn't them being abused by demons/angels and then talking about philosophy for 4 minutes over 70 hours of plot and that's about it.

SMT finally having like...an actual crew of people to aid you owns.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SMT4A is like Perosna in that it has consistent party members who have more characterization that isn't them being abused by demons/angels and then talking about philosophy for 4 minutes over 70 hours of plot and that's about it.

SMT finally having like...an actual crew of people to aid you owns.

Actually it sucks, because lots of bad writing is worse than a small amount of good writing

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Snake Maze posted:

Actually it sucks, because lots of bad writing is worse than a small amount of good writing

How dare you talk poo poo about Asahi and Hallelujah like that! They should be protected! And Nozomi is the best shotgun fairy queen! And Iseabeau is still really good at making smart decisions!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah that would suck but the writing is good and most of SMT's writing is usually incredibly bad.

Like conceptually a lot of SMT 3 is cool, but every bit of dialogue sounds like a soliloquy on morality from an episode of Star Trek that got cut. It's a game explicitly about humans coming to terms with reshaping the world filtering it through their personal ideals and trauma but no one talks anything close to a human being. Hell the rando demons you meet sound more human than any of the monologues you get from Hikawa or Chisaki.

SMT 2 and 4(A) at least manage to hit a good balance between the goofy poo poo, actually writing human characters, and the fake philosphy while smacking literal gods in the face poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

This is how I describe original SMTIV. I've said before I started with original Strange Journey and at the time I thought it was pretty light on character development and stuff. Then I played Nocturne which makes SJ feel like Xengoears in comparison.

Then came SMTIV. Walter and Jonathan are around all the time in contrast to how Jimenez or Zelenin only show up for occasional plot and Chiaki and Isamu are totally absent for the vast majority of Nocturne. And yet I can honestly say I feel more of a connection with Chiaki than I ever did with those two. Walt and Jon said a lot of things but they ultimately said nothing because it was all so bad and uninteresting and nothing about their character arcs were compelling or even logical.

Playing SJR after all these other SMT games made me appreciate just how perfect and brilliant Jimenez and Zelenin were. Not as much dialogue as Apoc or Devil Survivor or even SMTIV but what they did get was so well done.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SMT 2 and 4(A) at least manage to hit a good balance between the goofy poo poo, actually writing human characters, and the fake philosphy while smacking literal gods in the face poo poo.

I strongly disagree. The writing in Nocturne might have been a lot more sparse, but it was also actually interesting and didn't waste my time retreading stock anime archetypes. 4A open with the generic perky girl next door you'd normally see waking up the protagonist so he's not late to highschool, despite taking place in what's ostensibly a post-apocalyptic society where every day is a desperate battle for survival. And this isn't some clever subversion, it's literally just going through the motions of a completely generic, forgettable cliche for no real reason, despite not matching the setting at all. That's not interesting or relatable, it's just wasting my time.

Obviously there archetypes are popular, but I liked when SMT was doing its own thing instead. There's a billion jrpgs and animes that retread the same plot beats apocalypse covered, not so much for Nocturne or Strange Journey.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isabeau will always be my favorite because she has good taste in manga.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Strange Journey really has such a bizarre tone. The main plot is pretty much unrelentingly grim and serious. But there are all of these weird-rear end sidequests with like, the guy who wants you to hook him up with demons who are hot chicks, or the foot demon in the Red Sprite toilet.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

nrook posted:

Strange Journey really has such a bizarre tone. The main plot is pretty much unrelentingly grim and serious. But there are all of these weird-rear end sidequests with like, the guy who wants you to hook him up with demons who are hot chicks, or the foot demon in the Red Sprite toilet.

what a coincidence, literally just accepted this dude's second quest

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Aesthetically, everything about Hikawa is awful and unappealing. From his hair to his clothes he just looks totally lame.

Except this goddamn theme song which is so unbelievably good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q_2nwAyQbc

Tried to give me his sales pitch in front of the old Mantra HQ and I almost agreed with him because just listen to that music.

nrook posted:

That's how all SMT is, though. People praise Nocturne's lonely, horror-like atmosphere but I'm right now going through a construction site run by fairies who keep calling me a pervert. Jack Frost is at least as essential to SMT as any of the alignments. Digital Devil Saga 1 starts off with "we gotta eat people!!!!!" or something and then the rest of the game has us fighting some bat demon who is like Team Rocket just blasting off again and again and again.

SMT is never 100% grim.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

my god I got loving pummeled by Ouroboros what the gently caress was that, think I used waaaay to many precious items to fight her and im gonna regret it way later

e: have to fight it again :negative:

guess its time to take a good look at my demon team and learn how buffs work

frajaq fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 8, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

frajaq posted:

my god I got loving pummeled by Ouroboros what the gently caress was that, think I used waaaay to many precious items to fight her and im gonna regret it way later

e: have to fight it again :negative:

guess its time to take a good look at my demon team and learn how buffs work

Ouroboros is the great teacher for us newbies who started with SJ.

I can't say if her strategy is way different in SJR compared to SJ. I almost remember the SJ fight more than SJR because of how grueling it was for me. But at least in SJ a big trick with her was she would use Silent Prayer I think it was if you tried to raise your stats above three levels. So say you have Tarukaja or hopefully you have Luster Candy by now, using it four times will make her remove all buffs or debuffs on every person on the field, including herself.

Best of luck. I'm no pro to give great advice. I knew what was coming so I prepared well in advance and didn't struggle half as hard as I did in my first run.

I have my own troubles redoing Yoyogi Park for I swear to God the tenth time because the Setantas won't stop critting me.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

frajaq posted:

learn how buffs work

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
My fondest memory of Strange Journey is searching the Internet to figure out what quest or item I needed to find in order to stop Ouroboros regenerating.

Because I mean, that's obviously an unwinnable battle, right? Right?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

But at least in SJ a big trick with her was she would use Silent Prayer I think it was if you tried to raise your stats above three levels. So say you have Tarukaja or hopefully you have Luster Candy by now,

dunno what Luster Candy is but have seen Tarukaja in a lot of demons so far (if that even affects the Co-Op Attack strength)

I think I see a 100% required demon for this boss as Law, has both resistances to electric and expel spells, which Ouroboros sure likes to spam a lot

just have to grind out one more level and give it a go again

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm replaying 4A at the moment, and one thing that I absolutely love about the writing (that also applies to 4) is how the angels refer to the people of Tokyo as Filth.

It's such a perfect encapsulation of what the angels really are, just :kiss:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

frajaq posted:

dunno what Luster Candy is but have seen Tarukaja in a lot of demons so far (if that even affects the Co-Op Attack strength)

I think I see a 100% required demon for this boss as Law, has both resistances to electric and expel spells, which Ouroboros sure likes to spam a lot

Luster Candy is possibly the best spell in the game, it raises all combat stats so attack and defense go up in one turn. I was trying to look through my Compendium to find out where I first got it from and near as I can see and remember Lachesis, a Level 43 Femme demon, will give it to you once you get her Source. Use her Source on a fused demon and presto, instant best buff in the game and you will be holding onto that spell for the next 50 hours or whatever.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

Luster Candy buffs up attack, defense and hit/avoid with one cast for the party.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Alacron posted:

I'm replaying 4A at the moment, and one thing that I absolutely love about the writing (that also applies to 4) is how the angels refer to the people of Tokyo as Filth.

It's such a perfect encapsulation of what the angels really are, just :kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAILgcAvQBw

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

frajaq posted:

The other thing i'd recommend for fighting Ouroboros is getting yourself the ring that prevents Stone. It's not super likely that it will happen, but there is a chance that Ouroboros can inflict stone on you with Disaster Cycle and kill you instantly. It happened to me twice.

Unless SJR changed things so that if the MC dies or is petrified, it's no longer an instant game over and your demons can rez you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

The other thing i'd recommend for fighting Ouroboros is getting yourself the ring that prevents Stone. It's not super likely that it will happen, but there is a chance that Ouroboros can inflict stone on you with Disaster Cycle and kill you instantly. It happened to me twice.

Unless SJR changed things so that if the MC dies or is petrified, it's no longer an instant game over and your demons can rez you.

It does. There's a new subapp which stops you from dying on MC death.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

beat her, used some items that didnt want to use, just rushed her down with Co-Op attacks. whatever

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Without the motivation of TDE and "ooh, this is all new content" the Labyrinth of Amala is pretty lovely. I just played tag with Raidou for half an hour then he immediately killed me when the fight started because he got to go first twice and shot me both times and critted on his second round of gunshots. I couldn't have raised my defense or lowered his offense or put up a Tretrakarn, I was just hosed and never even got my turn and lost all my progress.

The Alex section in the Womb of Grief 3 is kinda like this but not terrible. The Womb of Grief was definitely the superior optional plot dungeon.

I struggle to think of anything SJ didn't do better than Nocturne. I think I'm very happy with SJR being my recommendation for everyone's first SMT game. Lotta folk say Nocturne but....god it has so many problems.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

drat, after I defeated Ishtar in WoG I was supposed to be able to summon her as a special fusion but it didnt appear on my menu... must have bugged it out

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite thing about the IV duology about the higher angels is that most of them, save a few exceptions, actually look like stuff as it was described in several version of the bible: Less "humanoid people with wings and junk" and more "other-worldly abominations that have one or two vaguely humanoid-ish aspects".

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

the mission may be a bit out of control :stare:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is Strange Journey just Event Horizon?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Kinda, yeah!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What does the 3ds port of Strange Journey add to the game?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Uh...
  • Chaos and Law Hero become your friends and allies, and despite butting heads here and there, they remain so for the 1st third of SMT I.
  • Isamu and Chiaki are at the very least your classmates if not outright buddy-buddy with you even during the conception (before poo poo goes bananas for everyone).
  • Yes, Walter and Johnny Boy are on opposite sides of the alignment shenanigans, but they, along with Isabeau, are part of the newbie squad along with you and are clearly on friendly terms with you for almost one half of the game.
Friendship totally exists on mainline SMT before Apoc. It just... well. :sigh:

You also have the heroines in the first two games, especially in 2, who are characters like the other alignment/reason lords and stick with you.

Like i said the only difference in smt4/a and smt 1 and 2 is that they read like actual people instead of not and get more focus and writing on top of the usual smt demon and apocalypse world stuff. Which honestly the series kind of needed (And that's something SJ and DDS added to the franchise smartly) because ultimately the games are about how humanity deals with they lot un existance stuck between these giants and how they adapt grow or even reject that humanity to survive so seeing people react like people would is a boon, narratively.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 9, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Len posted:

What does the 3ds port of Strange Journey add to the game?

Entire game-long new dungeon that allows for a trio of new endings (neo-L/N/C), a variety of QoL features from it moving to the SMTIV engine, rebalancing the app system in a way that it becomes more of a way for you to alter difficulty rather than "pick 7 points", voice acting (Japanese), higher res art. It basically fixes every single complaint you could have had about the original from a gameplay or narrative perspective.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Entire game-long new dungeon that allows for a trio of new endings (neo-L/N/C), a variety of QoL features from it moving to the SMTIV engine, rebalancing the app system in a way that it becomes more of a way for you to alter difficulty rather than "pick 7 points", voice acting (Japanese), higher res art. It basically fixes every single complaint you could have had about the original from a gameplay or narrative perspective.

Unless you just hate the concept of gimmick mazes but in that case SJ is just not for you.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
SJ Redux dont have a dub? That's lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

SJ Redux dont have a dub? That's lame

Unless a game is a certain level of popular a dub is going to massively balloon its cost for almost no benefit.

It is why Atelier games don't usually bother anymore either.