Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

xtal posted:

Sports are homophobic
Pretty loving dumb take when sports stars have been some of the most prominent lesbian and bi women of the 20th century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Cocaine Bear posted:

Fair enough.

I'll say it again, if you nerds want to fit in more just learn analytics. You can sperg out over sports, get your math and excel and chart kick and learn enough player names along the way to be able to hold up casual conversation with your rear end in a top hat jock coworkers. Just look at this glorious advanced stats chart from Micah Blake McCurdy! :

I don't need any fancy stats to know Lindholm sucks. Look at you, YOU CAN'T EVEN PASS

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Simultaneously they are also very homo-erotic.

Like, whenever people question how weird it is that I am both a big Eurovision fan and a big fan of the FIFA/UEFA Championships, I tell them that both events are very similar to some extent: the outsized nationalism, the kitsch, the drama, the mass spectacle and yes, the homo-eroticism.

In terms of money wasting/peak performance however, F1 takes the cake. These are likely the most well-rounded athletes to exist even if their overall condition only accounts for like 1% of their success, all the rest is due to their teams and their cars, both of which are an absurd waste of money. It's also why I like F1 because if you're going to do something gaudy and wasteful, best to go balls to the wall with it.

F1 to me is like the Corporate Mech Olympics. The incredible amount of money and technology that companies spend on man and machine to create these seamless, perfect racing hybrids is insanely cool.

Too bad I just hate watching it! Too long and too many competitors for TV to be able to make it compelling. The action gets broken up way too much and the camera angles often don't do it justice.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

fartknocker posted:

The man on the table is noted cheating quarterback Tom Brady open mouth kissing his son while he was getting a massage. There’s video. It’s also the son from his first marriage who gets knockoff jerseys, while the other kids from his current one get real merchandise. For more information, see the official thread.

eww. just eww.

Brings new meaning to The Brady Bunch

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

Pretty loving dumb take when sports stars have been some of the most prominent lesbian and bi women of the 20th century

90% of sports fans don't watch women's sports unless they're jacking off. Like the U.S. women's soccer team won back to back world cups and people only know about it because the right got mad at Megan Rapinoe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

juustoleipä (aka bread cheese) rules. so good. i'm a big fan of cheese that you can grill or fry. can't find any fuckin halloumi around here, sucks.

I think you mean leipäjuusto (aka bread cheese) :can:

Juustoleipä would translate to cheese bread, not bread cheese.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No opinion on the cheese bread/bread cheese, but that cup of tea looks perfect.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rodbeard posted:

90% of sports fans don't watch women's sports unless they're jacking off. Like the U.S. women's soccer team won back to back world cups and people only know about it because the right got mad at Megan Rapinoe.
i think that says more about america than it does about sports

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Still on sports chat? I don't mind college and high school sports, but here's why I don't like professional sports, especially American football. It's a funny picture, even.
Edit: I can't loving stand commercials anywhere. Billboards, tv, movie theaters, so gently caress me if I'm gonna watch a football game on TV.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

If only there were some way to accomplish this.

Sports are homophobic AND homoerotic.

Usually the more testosterone and violent driven the sport is, the more gay overtones it has. Football is almost self explanatory what with the hands up a guys rear end every play and boxing often resembles two guys slow dancing with each other but my favorite was always pro wrestling because holy poo poo.

Growing up in my mid to late teens, the biggest homophobes I knew would religiously watch these flamboyantly dressed, oiled up, swole muscle men crawling all over each other and getting into very sexually suggestive positions and give me poo poo for liking Prince.

And I like sports but I haven't missed them at all during the shutdowns. Funny sports photo:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

central dogma posted:

Still on sports chat? I don't mind college and high school sports, but here's why I don't like professional sports, especially American football. It's a funny picture, even.
Edit: I can't loving stand commercials anywhere. Billboards, tv, movie theaters, so gently caress me if I'm gonna watch a football game on TV.

The only way to watch regular season NFL games is the Red Zone channel. Their tag line is “7 hours of commercial free football” and you’ll see every touchdown and big play on a Sunday afternoon. It makes watching prime time and other games a slog by comparison.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
A tennis ball
approaches.
What do you do?
>

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

fartknocker posted:

The only way to watch regular season NFL games is the Red Zone channel. Their tag line is “7 hours of commercial free football” and you’ll see every touchdown and big play on a Sunday afternoon. It makes watching prime time and other games a slog by comparison.

drat, you weren't kidding. I follow football news, but just can't stomach watching it. This might help.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-nfl-redzone-channel-no-commercials-20170124-story.html

Lmao speaking of ads, I can't view that story again without paying 99 cents, but they dont mind blasting me with ads about cleaning my bowels and the centipedes in my vagina.

central dogma has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Aug 8, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fartknocker posted:

The main drawback of watching sports as faster, edited versions or using PVR functions to record games and fast-forward through them, is having to do it either late at night or having to avoid spoilers about the outcome. Otherwise it's amazing. The first time we ever got a PVR box from our cable provider was just before one of the Olympics started and it was such a game-changer.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zetsubou-san posted:

A tennis ball
approaches.
What do you do?
>

> Light torch

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Seconding this. Especially if you play fantasy football, as you won’t miss any big plays from your pretend football mens.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Soccer is boring as poo poo but at least those guys run around almost nonstop for 40 minutes without taking a break every 30 seconds.

Also the riots are good fun.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Zetsubou-san posted:

A tennis ball
approaches.
What do you do?
>

> gently caress tennis ball

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

BiggerBoat posted:

If only there were some way to accomplish this.

Sports are homophobic AND homoerotic.

Usually the more testosterone and violent driven the sport is, the more gay overtones it has. Football is almost self explanatory what with the hands up a guys rear end every play and boxing often resembles two guys slow dancing with each other but my favorite was always pro wrestling because holy poo poo.

Growing up in my mid to late teens, the biggest homophobes I knew would religiously watch these flamboyantly dressed, oiled up, swole muscle men crawling all over each other and getting into very sexually suggestive positions and give me poo poo for liking Prince.

And I like sports but I haven't missed them at all during the shutdowns. Funny sports photo:

You neglected to mention all the theatre and pageantry that goes along with wrestling. It's gay as hell and it's great!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fartknocker posted:

I hate the announcer for Red Zone, but it does rule. Personally I like all the little breaks in football because it gives you plenty of time to get drunk and argue with your friends without worry of missing anything. Sports like hockey and soccer where you have to watch constantly are my favorites, but there is something special about football where it's both exciting and boring that creates a near perfect backdrop for drunken friend moments.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cocaine Bear posted:

You neglected to mention all the theatre and pageantry that goes along with wrestling. It's gay as hell and it's great!

Any activity that causes you to be in close contact with people is gay. Conversely any activity that allows distance is straight.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Solice Kirsk posted:

I hate the announcer for Red Zone, but it does rule.

Which one? They have different announcers depending on whether you get Red Zone through cable or satellite. The cable one, Scott Hanson, is awesome, while Andrew Siciliano does it for the satellite Sunday ticket package and while I’ve never heard him on Red Zone, he’s meh at everything else.

EDIT: Picture for the picture gods

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

central dogma posted:

As a Raider's fan, the less I have to see them play, the better

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Which one? They have different announcers depending on whether you get Red Zone through cable or satellite. The cable one, Scott Hanson, is awesome, while Andrew Siciliano does it for the satellite Sunday ticket package and while I’ve never heard him on Red Zone, he’s meh at everything else.

EDIT: Picture for the picture gods

I get Siciliano. And thank you by the way, I gotta cancel my NFL Sunday ticket this year.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

central dogma posted:

this is why I watch UFC. when a fight starts it's all action for 15-25 min with minimal bullshit, and if the card is packed, fights start right after another and it's like 5 hour of fights back to back. I've tried watching football many times and it's excruciating.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

boxing often resembles two guys slow dancing with each other

When I boxed pretty much all of us did ballroom dancing classes to improve our footwork so this isn’t terribly far off.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Any activity that causes you to be in close contact with people is gay. Conversely any activity that allows distance is straight.

The straightest sport is motorcycle racing, where twenty-five short but extremely athletic European men dressed in colorful skintight leather spend half an hour humping a gas tank

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

fartknocker posted:

This and come shitpost in the GDTs in TFF

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Phy posted:

The straightest sport is motorcycle racing, where twenty-five short but extremely athletic European men dressed in colorful skintight leather spend half an hour humping a gas tank

And this is the best camera angle in the whole sport:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oooo, The Doctor is in!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Meatgrinder posted:

> gently caress tennis ball

Buddy...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mister Speaker posted:

And this is the best camera angle in the whole sport:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

A tennis ball
approaches.
What do you do?
>

> flail racket wildly while grimacing intently*

*profuse sweating set as constant

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Lobok posted:

The main drawback of watching sports as faster, edited versions or using PVR functions to record games and fast-forward through them, is having to do it either late at night or having to avoid spoilers about the outcome. Otherwise it's amazing. The first time we ever got a PVR box from our cable provider was just before one of the Olympics started and it was such a game-changer.

Start watching the recording while the event is still happening. Begin watching [however long] after the show starts, do your fast forwarding while you watch, and finish at about the same time as the event does.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Stop worrying so much about spoilers, goddamn. "How did that happen?" is a way more interesting question than "how did it end?"

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/extrafabulous/status/1292134576513523715

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Woebin posted:

Stop worrying so much about spoilers, goddamn. "How did that happen?" is a way more interesting question than "how did it end?"

Different strokes, I suppose. If I woke up the next morning and found out we won a big game I'd be less excited watching the game knowing everything worked out in the end, especially if it was close. The highs and lows during a game are much more thrilling when it's all about possibilities. Time seems to slow down during the most pivotal moments.

Flyball posted:

Start watching the recording while the event is still happening. Begin watching [however long] after the show starts, do your fast forwarding while you watch, and finish at about the same time as the event does.

We do that as well sometimes, yeah. Forgot about that.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Aug 8, 2020

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

LifeSunDeath posted:

this is why I watch UFC. when a fight starts it's all action for 15-25 min with minimal bullshit, and if the card is packed, fights start right after another and it's like 5 hour of fights back to back. I've tried watching football many times and it's excruciating.

yeah but then joe rogan is in your ear giving you commentry and ide rather not be recruited into the alt right.

LeafyOrb posted:

Sports fans are often the worst type of nerd but unlike with most nerd things society enables them, thus they lack the typical self loathing that keeps nerds in check.

Your weird obsessive hobby stops being that when society at large says okay to be weird and obsessive about it. Also as a burly dude I hate it when people assume I give two shits about sports, I workout because I like the D thank you very much.

what? every part of nerdom is catered to. comic con, marvel movies, video games are also main stream. poo poo the only thing nerds dont get catered to is train lovers but im sure there is a loving train con or expo in each quater of the year somewhere in the us and europe.

snergle has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hate it when your Tinder date cancels on you and did yourself up for nothing