Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
:page3:

Not a keyboard post but i replaced the chinese made omron switches that had failed in my logitech g903 with japanese made omron switches (D2F-01F) and the clicking feels so crisp now 10/10 would laboriously fix a $200 mouse that is just out of warranty again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

is there a good mechanical keyboard that feels good to type on but also won’t drive those around me insane? I have to replace my garbage work HP chiclet keyboard

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

is there a good mechanical keyboard that feels good to type on but also won’t drive those around me insane? I have to replace my garbage work HP chiclet keyboard

Once you start bragging about it? No.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

depends how you type. my coworker had a mech keyboard and i never heard it despite him doing most of the work in the office. wheras i will type at over 100db on any type of kb

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Browns are quiet. if you bottom out when you type you can buy dampener o-rings to make that quiet too. some keyboards will come them pre-installed

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i get the joke

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes - I would highly recommend the REALFORCE R2 PFU Limited Edition Keyboard (Full, Ivory, 45G). It is extremely sturdy and durable, the key action feels great, and it's virtually silent. It's also available in an 87-key configuration if you don't want a number pad.

Get yours here: https://fujitsuscannerstore.com/cg01000-290201/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

update: I have found a USB Sun Microsystems keyboard in the storage closet at work and I don’t care how bad it is I want to use it and also find a way to make STOP-A do something like it would on a Sun

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

akadajet posted:

i get the joke

i don't :(

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

update: I have found a USB Sun Microsystems keyboard in the storage closet at work and I don’t care how bad it is I want to use it and also find a way to make STOP-A do something like it would on a Sun

it has an actual meta key so use emacs

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

neither did a shitload of the replies in that thread

hint: actually look up the dvorak keyboard layout

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

except it’s not bad, Sun & Fujitsu made the only good rubber dome keyboards

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

neither did a shitload of the replies in that thread

hint: actually look up the dvorak keyboard layout

lol no

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dvorak: it's just like qwerty, except it fucks up your brain so you can't type good on a normal keyboard anymore

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Set the keymap to dvorak, but leave the key caps qwerty. The instant, searing pain people get when they try to use your keyboard is a better deterrent than a lock screen.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TimWinter posted:

Set the keymap to dvorak, but leave the key caps qwerty. The instant, searing pain people get when they try to use your keyboard is a better deterrent than a lock screen.

Even if you change the caps you can feel the mind-bending vertigo when they look at it.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

eschaton posted:

except it’s not bad, Sun & Fujitsu made the only good rubber dome keyboards

I don't know about "the only good ones", but I can honestly say that my topre KBs are the best typing experience I've found...

larper
Apr 9, 2019

akadajet posted:

dvorak: it's just like qwerty, except it fucks up your brain so you can't type good on a normal keyboard anymore

Sorry about your peanut rear end brain that can't handle doing two different things

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

QWERTY mapping but keycaps read "HANS BLIX hosed MY WORGZ" is the real pro move

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

big time ~9 0 ’ s S Y S A D M I N~ vibes

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

🤩🤩🤩

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

did you know they made this with a proper layout too, with the control key in the right place?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

eschaton posted:

did you know they made this with a proper layout too, with the control key in the right place?

my type 5 was my favorite keyboard ever :( though i barely remember how the key switches themselves felt, it seemed Fine. also: compose key

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

TimWinter posted:

This is me connecting to a French-language-default RDP server, all keymaps should be ‘Murican damnit. Fortunately windows has that little FR/EN button but I always forget to push it till I’ve locked out my account :france:

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
It took me an incredibly long time to figure out how to model this in CAD but I’m now ready to print it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

that’s awesome.

all those keys on the left cry out for of those WordPerfect overlays that you stick over the function keys to show you how to do commands

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

finally a way to recognize the good work of my coworkers. this is truly the ultimate office keyboard

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

finally a way to recognize the good work of my coworkers. this is truly the ultimate office keyboard

Like watermelons and humorously large wooden mallets?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
first french issued laptop broke my brain and it took months to convince my coworkers I wasn’t disabled as a swore and pecked at the keys

now my brain is broken for good and I can switch between QWERTY, AZERTY and QWERTZ with minimal typos and insults to god

I simulate them on touch screens for authenticity

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Freshly printed, will wire it up tomorrow

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Fib posted:

Freshly printed, will wire it up tomorrow

how do you carriage return? or escape? or use any modifier key? :psyduck:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

foot pedals

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
full body haptic sensors

i escape by tensing my rear end, and I don’t even have a setup

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
accidentally clenched and pasted ascii art dongs into workslack

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

foot pedals

foot switches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBdi-eMhKfk

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bloody posted:

foot pedals

lol

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I use layers. It’s much more comfortable holding an extra key down rather than having to reach for a distant key like on a full size keyboard.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Fib posted:

I use layers. It’s much more comfortable holding an extra key down rather than having to reach for a distant key like on a full size keyboard.

:eyepop: cool

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

you don't exactly have to be franz liszt to reach the keys in a normal keyboard layout, but still cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

i want to make a custom keyboard like that some day. what would be really cool is to integrate a TPM or whatever you need to have a FIDO U2F inside it, then in qmk or whatever set it to trigger the press with a few key combo or something.