Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

!Klams posted:

I think of this all the time and it really loving bugs me, because, the sentiment is one that should have an iconic oft referenced tweet about it, but this tweet doesn't really make sense. It conveys the point, but as quotes go, it's.... eh.

I kind of like that about it, it's like a koan. Somebody said it's less ambiguous in German, so maybe that's not intentional, but I think it works. I take two points from it:

Games are most fun when all the players are playing to win.
You should still have fun playing a game even if you don't win.

In other words I think both of the interpretations people are posting are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

silvergoose posted:

I interpret it as "if you're not playing to win as defined by the rules, games tend to break down" for the most part.

Yeah that's definitely the intention

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My group got together for the first time in a few months for our first session of the kings dilemma. Game definitely lives up to the hype, all 5 players had an absolute blast.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There is a term for when a player, doesn't matter if they're a sore loser or just don't care about the game or just want to incite chaos to see what happens, intentionally plays to a different goal than everybody else: trolling.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Last week I got roped like a sucker into playing a variant of Monopoly where you could cheat in specific ways. Gimmick aside, the game has two big differences:

1) You couldn’t buy houses, straight into hotels
2) The game ends once every property is bought.

Why isn’t number 2 in the official rules? I have just checked, and they suggest to play with a timer if you want a shorter game. Why put the only thing that makes the game actually end and avoids a clear winner and a bunch of losers going through the motions for two hours in a spin off gimmicky game?

This is my stupid Monopoly story.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

There is a term for when a player, doesn't matter if they're a sore loser or just don't care about the game or just want to incite chaos to see what happens, intentionally plays to a different goal than everybody else: trolling.

Played a game of Diplomacy once and one of our group ended up playing like this. He hasn't been invited to board game with us after that and he's still mad about it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Midgetskydiver posted:

Played a game of Diplomacy once and one of our group ended up playing like this. He hasn't been invited to board game with us after that and he's still mad about it.

That's the biggest problem with playing with Game Brain's GameBreaker, Paul. He wants to see if he can break the game. I'm careful what games I play with him, avoid playing new games with him because sometimes it can get pretty obnoxious.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
THERE'S NO RULE SAYS I CAAAN'T :byodood:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So does anyone have a good house rule for crows & ravens in Wingspan? Or is their eggs for choice of food special ability not as OP as my limited play experience makes it seem?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Okay, so. Representing sexual variance is a complex, contextual thing because it's not really casually visible the way PoC are. And like, as earth's gayest bitch, I really care more about rep from games with a strong character focus. Like, it's a lot more significant that Karin Brandtford from BattleCON or Sunny Lebeau from Androin Netrunner are canonically queer, than that background npc cards #34 and #67 are maybe gay?

In fact, the latter feels almost restrictive? Because by explicitly jumping up and down and waving your arms shouting "I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THAT THESE TWO SPECIFIC MERCHANT CARDS ENJOY THE COMPANY OF PEOPLE OF THE SAME GENDER," you're sorta implying that every other random figure in the game is Straight By Default, which is a whole thing? It can backfire is what I'm saying?

That said, flag pins or color scheme nods are totally cute Easter eggs tho, and almost always get a

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1117105062575136770?s=20

or even better, make pissbabies furious.

On the other hand representing *gender* variance and nonconformity can be done in a much more direct way. Gender is inherently presentational/performative, and it's important to explore body types and presentations outside of the idealized cis model. Nonbinary rep in particular is currently next to impossible to come by. (To the point that NB fandom communities have a running joke to the effect of, "oh, they're adding a nonbinary character? So is this one a robot or an alien this time?")

Of course, you gotta handle this one with a delicate touch--ideally by hiring people from the communities you wanna represent--because wow you can fly off the rails into grotesque caricature if you don't know what you're doing. But it's not like that's a problem unique to just *LGBT* rep in the board game scene. I mean uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah. Jesus.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That board game title box kind of reminds me of a skit called Unfuck This House:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's fantastic

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Eyes Have It posted:

That board game title box kind of reminds me of a skit called Unfuck This House:

LoadingReadyRun is so good

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The Eyes Have It posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WZnkyiBG_U Here is the video, for the uninitiated.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
For those with billy bookshelves, what’s the height /depth of the bottom that’s supposed to go over the bottom trim of a wall? I have kallax for stuff but the Billys might go flush with my wall.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh don't worry, I hunted down that skit immediately after I saw the pic.

Jagged Earth is shipping to customers and yet I haven't gotten an email from Miniature Market yet. Hopefully it's because the cowards won't ship on weekends, because I need this poo poo. I'm about ready to drive to the fedex printing place to mock up some updated print and play spirits just so I can get in there early. Mist guy! Rain bird! Can't Be Shook! Anglerfish o' the Forest! Give me my loving ghost monsters to fight the Scottish already. They're stalling.

Nobody is posting the new major and minor powers on the BGG forums, why is no one posting them. Isaac Eric did five of like 30 and it's like taking precisely one hit off a crackpipe after a terribly long crack drought. At least the aspects are easy to mock up. I still haven't tried a couple of them.

Shroud of Silent Mist is so weird, though. Just from looking at it I could swear Eric is overestimating fear again, but I hear the spirits are pretty balanced this time around.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 9, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Ragnar34 posted:

Shroud of Silent Mist is so weird, though. Just from looking at it I could swear Isaac is overestimating fear again, but I hear the spirits are pretty balanced this time around.

Isaac? You mean Eric? Isaac does the other modern super-great co-op. :)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ragnar34 posted:

Rain bird!

My wife still refers to it as Two Headed Bird Pees on Everything.

Ragnar34 posted:

Shroud of Silent Mist is so weird, though. Just from looking at it I could swear Isaac is overestimating fear again, but I hear the spirits are pretty balanced this time around.

Shroud's passives are a lot stronger than they sound and it packs a lot of firepower on top of that. It does take a fair bit of adjusting to get used to the idea that you want to "waste" damage but it has a tremendous amount of upside once you do. It does get hurt a little more by bad draws than most spirits, so it's not a total powerhouse, but It's Good.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Admiralty Flag posted:

So does anyone have a good house rule for crows & ravens in Wingspan? Or is their eggs for choice of food special ability not as OP as my limited play experience makes it seem?

Wingspan isn't a serious enough strategy game to bother trying to 'fix'. Just build birds and see what fun combos they make. I once had a bunch of Chickadees in the forest and got a stack of VP every time I got food and won by 30 odd points. They were OP in that instance but I haven't managed to do it twice.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Straight White Shark posted:

My wife still refers to it as Two Headed Bird Pees on Everything.

Shroud's passives are a lot stronger than they sound and it packs a lot of firepower on top of that. It does take a fair bit of adjusting to get used to the idea that you want to "waste" damage but it has a tremendous amount of upside once you do. It does get hurt a little more by bad draws than most spirits, so it's not a total powerhouse, but It's Good.

Birds don't pee, they have cloacae. Double Bird Shits on Everything.

Isaac I MEAN ERIC did say that about the passives, I think. I believe it. I keep thinking of little incidental advantages the spirit has, like how events and fear cards that deal small amounts of damage are suddenly much better. It's likely easier than it looks to wipe out a land under your control when it's about to build beyond your ability to suppress it. You kinda max out at four energy a turn, so the Mists of Oblivion dream is unlikely, but you're aiming to play minors so you're unlikely to ever even draw from the major deck.

This and Spread of Rampant Green probably love each other. Getting them onto the same land must be like God and Adam touching fingers on the Sistine Chapel.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 9, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's very fun to play shroud of silent mist but taking them out for the first time while playing against a randomly drawn tsar Russia fuckin sucked lmao. We squeaked out a win eventually but it was tiiiiight

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

Isaac? You mean Eric? Isaac does the other modern super-great co-op. :)
Eric and Isaac have designed my two favorite coop card management mechanisms, but only one of them didn't stick a cumbersome campaign to get in its way :S

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I went to Ikea for the first time today and came home with a Kallax. I knew it was the board game shelf of choice but drat these are nicer then I expected.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Mayveena posted:

So each character in Alma Mater has a book. Well books didn't exist in any kind of numbers during the 'history' the game is supposed to be about, so they are pretty hypocritical as well. And naturally racists have been rating the game a 10.

Unbelievably pathetic. And they call progressives snowflakes...

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Funzo posted:

I went to Ikea for the first time today and came home with a Kallax. I knew it was the board game shelf of choice but drat these are nicer then I expected.

"If you build it, they will come", As whomever shall be found to buy a Kallax will soon find themselves short on space as boardgames somehow begin to multiply and take up those former empty slots, ala the paradox of widening roads causes more traffic congestion.

I suggest the name the Enigma of Kallax fault as "these holes were made for me".

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

sonatinas posted:

For those with billy bookshelves, what’s the height /depth of the bottom that’s supposed to go over the bottom trim of a wall? I have kallax for stuff but the Billys might go flush with my wall.

idk but having owned KALLAX and BILLY I would just get kallax and either legs for it or making a recessed base that bumps it up over the trim if that’s within your capabilities. Or just embrace the gap.

I found that billy shelves just didn’t hold up to games and sagged pretty quickly.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Embracing the gap is my solution. Gives you extra clearance for weird size boxes like Milleniun Blades, Earth Reborn, etc.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*takes notes on how to become a Board Game Youtuber*
VERY important to have entire board game collection displayed behind you, in case people forget what you are talking about

*double underlines last part*

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Infinitum posted:

*takes notes on how to become a Board Game Youtuber*
VERY important to have entire board game collection displayed behind you, in case people forget what you are talking about

*double underlines last part*

I'm fairly sure they do that to establish credibility.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like it because you can immediately judge their taste 😏

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Actually it's because the in order to start a baord game youtube channel you first must fill every wall, flood and ceiling in their house with Kallaxes packed with board games. So it's not by choice; they simply have no other blank walls.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've got twilight struggle on my phone and I don't think I've ever beaten the AI except with defcon shenanigans, usually involving Olympic Games

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I like it because you can immediately judge their taste 😏

Yeah shelves full of Munchkin expansions would certainly make me move on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

pointsofdata posted:

I've got twilight struggle on my phone and I don't think I've ever beaten the AI except with defcon shenanigans, usually involving Olympic Games

The AI is weird as hell and not really like a player. Make sure you know the event deck and what the important cards in it are. What specifically are you having trouble with?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wall of games also makes a handy, built-in background. There's worse choices (but also more original ones.)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

pointsofdata posted:

I stopped playing TS on my phone when I managed to win against the AI in round 1 with Europe scoring. Granted, that requires a few cards to be present to make it possible, but the AI had means to prevent it and didn't bother.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

Put influence into battlegrounds, especially those that have yet to be scored this shuffle. Don't spend 2 to play into opponent areas unless you know they're trapped into scoring it now.

Those have approximately 4000 exceptions but are basically all you need to crush the AI.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think a big part of the "wall of games" background is just that, like, they have a lot of games. and most human beings right now dont have enough housing space to have a dedicated office which is large enough to set up a lot of video, sound, and lightning equipment plus a table big enough to showcase the games. so they just use the space which is already big enough to do those things - their game room

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Twilight Struggle on my iPad made me realize I honestly don’t have much love for Twilight Struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

twilight struggle is only good against another human being of an equal skill level