Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Raenir Salazar posted:

The only counter argument as to whether we live in a simulation is also "I don't like that" as well, and so on. A lot of interesting thought experiments also aren't falsifiable with current methods.

With simulation stuff at least someone with a will has to have picked to do it. Like you can't say if it did happen or not, only it could and it might be likely. With this, you can say it WILL happen and there is no way to stop it from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Doesn't NP-complexity, Godel's incompleteness theorem, and quantum randomness put hard limits on what can be accomplished with computers viz simulations, though? Or does that only matter if we're talking about the, say, supposed ability of a future civilization to create human mind simulations with perfect fidelity, virtual worlds that are indistinguishable from reality, etc., rather than the possibility that our own universe could be a simulation existing in such a computer?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I mean the ultimate issue with boltzmann brains or simulation theories is "who cares?".

It's very much possible that we live in a simulation or that anyone reading this may just be the momentary result of a quantum fluctuation in an empty universe, but... so what? That doesn't lead to anything actionable or meaningful, and once you're familiar with the basic idea of it it just becomes kind of a boring argument that has no applicable practice attached or interesting discussion to be had.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I mean the ultimate issue with boltzmann brains or simulation theories is "who cares?".

It's very much possible that we live in a simulation or that anyone reading this may just be the momentary result of a quantum fluctuation in an empty universe, but... so what? That doesn't lead to anything actionable or meaningful, and once you're familiar with the basic idea of it it just becomes kind of a boring argument that has no applicable practice attached or interesting discussion to be had.

You can say “who cares”about anything you want. It doesn’t change what is or isn’t true.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there any sort of actual mechanism where the universe would just stop existing after a certain number of years? Heat death is when all matter disperses and reaches perfect equilibrium but the idea quantum processes just stop eventually is really not a thing at all and would majorly violate everything we know. The only apparent argument against Boltzmann brains is pretty much “I don’t like that”

If you go with a multiverse theory you can imagine something outside of the universe causing it to cease to exist.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

Doesn't NP-complexity, Godel's incompleteness theorem, and quantum randomness put hard limits on what can be accomplished with computers viz simulations, though? Or does that only matter if we're talking about the, say, supposed ability of a future civilization to create human mind simulations with perfect fidelity, virtual worlds that are indistinguishable from reality, etc., rather than the possibility that our own universe could be a simulation existing in such a computer?

Yes and no. Yes, in that if you literally tried to simulate a universe down to subatomic particles then perhaps that would be too much, its hard to say for sure because if you look at Conways game of life and similar we can get some really interesting and even nondeterministic behaviour out from computers; but the thing is you don't have to simulate "everything" only things people are actively looking at and examining. And the more detail they look into something the more likely it gets even easier to simulate because it's an increasingly smaller slice of "everything" and the more energy and effort the subjects are spending and exerting to look at an ever decreasing size of "stuff".

Because again, our reality might not look like or be compatible with the reality of the creators. We can create games where FTL is possible for example; in this case it would make sense for them to create a simulation where it was not, in order to limit the scope of the simulation and where we could look and poke our noses in.

Things like the halting problem suggest there are problem spaces where there are no solutions (or more specifically there exists limitations to turing complete computers but non-turing complete machines don't have such problems), but I don't think there's anything that suggests a simulation of the universe is in violation of any of these things, especially if you could put in constraints to avoid those violations (or exist in a universe where the laws of physics are such that those violations don't exist, and they only exist for us as a means of creating an "air gap" where we can't break out of our simulation and infect the host).

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can say “who cares”about anything you want. It doesn’t change what is or isn’t true.

You're not really getting what I'm saying. What actionable difference does it make to anyone's life if we're in a simulation or the thought of a boltzmann brain? What is the logical procession of the argument if we accept that it is possible or even true? How does it matter to the life of a single person who exists?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I mean not only this but if we were ever trying to look at too many things/overload the processor or whatever they could just massively slow down the ticks or frame rate or whatever while they calculated it out and we’d never have any way to know it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

You're not really getting what I'm saying. What actionable difference does it make to anyone's life if we're in a simulation or the thought of a boltzmann brain? What is the logical procession of the argument if we accept that it is possible or even true? How does it matter to the life of a single person who exists?

Again, things don't become true or not based on the metric of how much you feel like you would change your life.

But past that learning about physics enough to know if the universe will turn off eventually is as useful as any physics is. Even if finding out it just goes on forever does have the truly disconcerting truth embedded that the future is one of eternal ghostly appearances of half formed thoughts in between unfathomable quadrillions of years of silence.

Asking "is there a year where quantum physics stops" is as applicable to physics as anything would be. Even if some answers are really yucky feeling.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
If something is literally impossible to prove or disprove then it's not science though, it's just some nerds jerking off about a theory that makes them go "woah bet you never thought of that". It's neither true nor untrue, it's just a vacuous discussion, it's a rehash of a philosophical idea someone came up with 2500 years ago.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But past that learning about physics enough to know if the universe will turn off eventually is as useful as any physics is. Even if finding out it just goes on forever does have the truly disconcerting truth embedded that the future is one of eternal ghostly appearances of half formed thoughts in between unfathomable quadrillions of years of silence.

This is a really weird combination of sentences, to be honest. As useful as any? The point of the Fermi conversation is what humanity can observe, and even basic geophysics seems to tell us we won't be around to see any quadrillion-year thinkers. The whole idea behind cosmology sometimes devolving into a joke of itself is that, well, sometimes people get hung up on these grandiose ideas that in no way can be falsified or even studied. At that point it, or anything else like it, has left the realm of science and straight into science fiction. We may insist that Roko's basilisk or whatever is a "mathematical inevitability" and proceed from there, but that's still garbage in, garbage out, until we see one. Which we haven't. And the same holds for these Boltzmann brains, and as mentioned upthread, we're unlikely to hear from them anytime soon, so their existence, even if we insist it must be true, does not matter in the slightest, since we will never meet.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

If something is literally impossible to prove or disprove then it's not science though, it's just some nerds jerking off about a theory that makes them go "woah bet you never thought of that". It's neither true nor untrue, it's just a vacuous discussion, it's a rehash of a philosophical idea someone came up with 2500 years ago.

Pretty much every aspect of it could be proved or disproved. Like I guess if you are just a rotting space brain you couldn't. But every aspect underlying it would be perfectly testable things as much as anything in physics is. Like I guess it's a mystery on if you are a space brain, but every part of the physics is perfectly normal physics with no special magic elements.

Someone can investigate what time quantum physics will stop existing. And someone can do math and figure out what the odds per year a fully formed brain will appear in space spontaneously through pure fluctuation and that number will be unimaginably low, but like, if they figure out space doesn't stop existing before the date it'd be expected to happen then you've scienced out a perfectly valid thing that simply has a distasteful conclusion.

Like at best there is a good chance your actual brain right now is that except quantum fluctuations took a bunch of steps to make your brain by making a big amount of energy and and having that process out into a bunch of stars then planets then a guy.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Pretty much every aspect of it could be proved or disproved. Like I guess if you are just a rotting space brain you couldn't. But every aspect underlying it would be perfectly testable things as much as anything in physics is. Like I guess it's a mystery on if you are a space brain, but every part of the physics is perfectly normal physics with no special magic elements.

This is nonsensical. We know that animal life, such as horses, have existed, and do exist. Therefore we may postulate that there's a planet out there that's filled with unicorns and rainbows, both phenomena we can understand. But that doesn't really mean anything, we can't conceivably observe the unicorn planet any time soon, so just yelling about the inevitability of the unicorn planet since time is infinite and so forth, doesn't really add anything meaningful, let alone falsifiable.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rappaport posted:

This is a really weird combination of sentences, to be honest. As useful as any? The point of the Fermi conversation is what humanity can observe, and even basic geophysics seems to tell us we won't be around to see any quadrillion-year thinkers. The whole idea behind cosmology sometimes devolving into a joke of itself is that, well, sometimes people get hung up on these grandiose ideas that in no way can be falsified or even studied. At that point it, or anything else like it, has left the realm of science and straight into science fiction. We may insist that Roko's basilisk or whatever is a "mathematical inevitability" and proceed from there, but that's still garbage in, garbage out, until we see one. Which we haven't. And the same holds for these Boltzmann brains, and as mentioned upthread, we're unlikely to hear from them anytime soon, so their existence, even if we insist it must be true, does not matter in the slightest, since we will never meet.

Is the heat death of the universe itself not science then? I will never meet that and no one can be around to test if it even happens in a personal way. We can only test physics to know it will happen.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is the heat death of the universe itself not science then? I will never meet that and no one can be around to test if it even happens in a personal way. We can only test physics to know it will happen.

The science part is observing what is happening with the expansion (or possibly contraction!) of the cosmos, and that's about the extent of it. Presumably we both know that cosmology itself has had far weirder off-shoots that can never be observed, falsified or any such thing associated with science.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I mean until we built particle accelerators we also didn't have much in the way of observation for subparticle physics no? There's a lot of physics and cosmology where it's a lot of numbers on paper but we don't necessarily have the tools to test it?

I don't think this isn't science, it's obviously still science; not everything has to have practical discrete applications like a tech on a in game tech tree.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean until we built particle accelerators we also didn't have much in the way of observation for subparticle physics no? There's a lot of physics and cosmology where it's a lot of numbers on paper but we don't necessarily have the tools to test it?

I don't think this isn't science, it's obviously still science; not everything has to have practical discrete applications like a tech on a in game tech tree.

Right, but that's also the point of building said particle accelerators, so you can test and falsify ideas someone else wrote on paper. That's why we made the god drat things! I am not arguing that science is only there for building toasters.

e: For example, we could possibly build some kind of generation space ship, and try to visit a planet we think has unicorns on it, to try and find the unicorns. That's fine and good. But again, simply postulating the existence of the unicorn planet isn't really science. And even if we abandon popperianism, it still has no bearing on the Fermi question either, without that generation space ship, so it's a bit of a moot point, and that's what started this branch of the conversation to begin with.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 8, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rappaport posted:

The science part is observing what is happening with the expansion (or possibly contraction!) of the cosmos, and that's about the extent of it. Presumably we both know that cosmology itself has had far weirder off-shoots that can never be observed, falsified or any such thing associated with science.

I don't know if it really makes much sense to talk about the falsifiability of Boltzmann brains, though? They're just a description of one consequence of the universe as we understand it.

These discussions always end up being stupid and weird, because "we're all actually Boltzmann brains" isn't a claim that anyone is seriously making or even the point of the thought experiment in the first place.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know if it really makes much sense to talk about the falsifiability of Boltzmann brains, though? They're just a description of one consequence of the universe as we understand it.

That's fair, and so is my unicorn planet, god damnit! :colbert: The point I'm trying to badly make is that their existence, inevitable or not, doesn't really factor into what we can understand of the cosmos in the present or near future, so we could just as well table them for the time being.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New thread title: "Where is my unicorn planet damnit!"

Rappaport posted:

Right, but that's also the point of building said particle accelerators, so you can test and falsify ideas someone else wrote on paper. That's why we made the god drat things! I am not arguing that science is only there for building toasters.

e: For example, we could possibly build some kind of generation space ship, and try to visit a planet we think has unicorns on it, to try and find the unicorns. That's fine and good. But again, simply postulating the existence of the unicorn planet isn't really science. And even if we abandon popperianism, it still has no bearing on the Fermi question either, without that generation space ship, so it's a bit of a moot point, and that's what started this branch of the conversation to begin with.

I mean, we do want to find out if unicorns exist no? We should get to building that spaceship!

I think the most relevant thread example is maybe String Theory? The math "works" in some instances but we haven't figured out how to test any of it yet.

I think the point behind thought experiments is (a) to communicate fun problems to lay persons to get them thinking more critically (fundamentally thought experiments are basically unsolveable logic puzzles, the more thought you put into them the more tangled up into it you get, it's like bench pressing for your brain a lot of work is being done going nowhere) (b) a lot of theories perhaps take time to get to the experimentation stage and are basically like side effects to the scientific method. If a theory or hypothesis is all you need and not all of them require testing to be given consideration you'll have to look at and consider a whole lot of the unfalsifiable ones too while you're at it to be complete.

So basically we have a bunch of theories and thought experiments and some of these get to be doing "real science" but as a result you end up with some that don't have any immediate practical purposes but are still valid in their existence because they are at least interesting which is the motivator for a lot of science and experiments that get done.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rappaport posted:

seems like the same particle accelerators also very much can help falsify things like "are quantum fluctuations real" and "is there a point in the future where they stop happening" and if the answers are "yes" and "no" then low probability events become very likely.

And this isn't just some sort of nerd navel gazing either. Literally one of the leading theories of why there is a universe right now is the idea that a bunch of energy sprung from quantum fluctuations and when you do the math the odds of that happening is unimaginably low, but the answer is "so what? who cared if it took a kajiliilionbillionmillion years, only humans care if things happen on a time scale we like, it had as much time as it needed to happen"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rappaport posted:

That's fair, and so is my unicorn planet, god damnit! :colbert: The point I'm trying to badly make is that their existence, inevitable or not, doesn't really factor into what we can understand of the cosmos in the present or near future, so we could just as well table them for the time being.

I mean, okay, there probably was or will be or are unicorns in some universe. You seem to be angry that that would be the conclusion of this. Like you could say that a magical unicorn might not exist because it's magic would work against the known laws of physics and that is true, but given infinite space and time then sure, there is or was or will be a horse with a horn.

In fact a lot of your intuitions about what is and isn't is based on a human scale of time and space and a cosmic scale would have a lot different parameters than what is or isn't likely in a human scale. Every combination of matter physically possible will happen given enough time and space. Even ones that you don't like or ones that are silly. Really unlikely ones will take the most amount of time or require the most amount of area to happen, but things like that don't actually matter as far as we know. Eventually every configuration will iterate through an infinite amount of times.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

seems like the same particle accelerators also very much can help falsify things like "are quantum fluctuations real" and "is there a point in the future where they stop happening" and if the answers are "yes" and "no" then low probability events become very likely.

And this isn't just some sort of nerd navel gazing either. Literally one of the leading theories of why there is a universe right now is the idea that a bunch of energy sprung from quantum fluctuations and when you do the math the odds of that happening is unimaginably low, but the answer is "so what? who cared if it took a kajiliilionbillionmillion years, only humans care if things happen on a time scale we like, it had as much time as it needed to happen"

Yeah, but the limit (so to speak) on those theories is what we can observe (falsify), and that's why there's such a big brou-ha-ha about mapping the cosmic microwave background, for instance. But speaking in terms of what science can actually do here, we're pretty much stuck there, and cosmologists doing all sorts of funky fits for why the background looks the way it does, and so on. We can't, so far as we know today!, actually observe the original seconds/minutes of the cosmos. Whether or not this makes the theories about what happened back there just good guesses can be argued about, but on the other hand, the reason for the furious investigation of the microwave background is that some part of the scientific community seems to agree that we have to look at evidence and work from there. Hence, particle accelerators, so forth. Another fun though experiment is, could we start a whole new cosmos budding in a laboratory with a big enough particle cannon, but until we have such a cannon, it's just a fun idea.

edit:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, okay, there probably was or will be or are unicorns in some universe. You seem to be angry that that would be the conclusion of this. Like you could say that a magical unicorn might not exist because it's magic would work against the known laws of physics and that is true, but given infinite space and time then sure, there is or was or will be a horse with a horn.

In fact a lot of your intuitions about what is and isn't is based on a human scale of time and space and a cosmic scale would have a lot different parameters than what is or isn't likely in a human scale. Every combination of matter physically possible will happen given enough time and space. Even ones that you don't like or ones that are silly. Really unlikely ones will take the most amount of time or require the most amount of area to happen, but things like that don't actually matter as far as we know. Eventually every configuration will iterate through an infinite amount of times.
I promise you, I am not upset at all, I'm just trying to illustrate my point. The unicorn planet existing doesn't really matter to the conversation of 'where is everybody', since the unicorns won't have thumbs for one thing. That their existence is a mathematical inevitability or not doesn't factor into that part. I did pick unicorns because they're silly, but also because who doesn't like unicorns, come on!

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 8, 2020

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rappaport posted:

Yeah, but the limit (so to speak) on those theories is what we can observe (falsify), and that's why there's such a big brou-ha-ha about mapping the cosmic microwave background, for instance. But speaking in terms of what science can actually do here, we're pretty much stuck there, and cosmologists doing all sorts of funky fits for why the background looks the way it does, and so on. We can't, so far as we know today!, actually observe the original seconds/minutes of the cosmos. Whether or not this makes the theories about what happened back there just good guesses can be argued about, but on the other hand, the reason for the furious investigation of the microwave background is that some part of the scientific community seems to agree that we have to look at evidence and work from there. Hence, particle accelerators, so forth. Another fun though experiment is, could we start a whole new cosmos budding in a laboratory with a big enough particle cannon, but until we have such a cannon, it's just a fun idea.

I just can't tell what you are saying other than "if a bit of science means a silly result is possible we should not think about it ever again". But like, regardless of if you like or dislike some specifics about infinite time meaning brains or unicorns or whatever silly example you pick it is real science stemming from real questions.

Like if quantum fluctuations across unfathomable time scales can create unlikely results is literally an important and real question in physics. In a text book it's asked in terms of "but there is no way one could create THIS AMOUNT of energy to form a real universe, the odds are too low" with the argument being only "well we wouldn't live in one that couldn't form people, so who cares how long it takes, we didn't stand around waiting for it" and the same applies for whatever dumb toy example you think of. Even if the odds of a fully formed unicorn occuring are way lower than an energy spike as big as an entire universe, what time limit is there? Finding out there is some eternal force that would stop coherent objects from ever forming instead of just being very unlikely would be a huge deal in physics.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Thought experiments are fine, but un-falsifiable presumptions that a thing must happen, when challenged by data suggesting no, not really, are not strengthened by presenting further un-falsifiable claims of such boundless magnificence as "well, eventually a monkey will recreate the works of Shakespeare."

The answer to practical problems like:

(A) Physics doesn't support FTL

(B) Humans traveling in deep space are exposed to terrific amounts of radiation

(C) It's harder to slow a rocket down than to speed it up

... Isn't "well obviously we just have to wait for the above to become untrue, according to Philosophy 101"

You're talking to people ITT who have actually studied these problems and responding to them with pseudoscientific platitudes. "Anything/everything will eventually happen" is being used as a crutch to support what you hope will happen, absent all other evidence.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Thought experiments are fine, but un-falsifiable presumptions that a thing must happen, when challenged by data suggesting no, not really, are not strengthened by presenting further un-falsifiable claims of such boundless magnificence as "well, eventually a monkey will recreate the works of Shakespeare."

Unfalsifiable isn't just a magic word that means whatever. The claims are falsifiable. Using them to talk about unicorns or brains is very silly but that doesn't change anything. It's not like a monty python narrator is going to come in and say "these theories are true, but they stop being true if you say silly consensus of them!"

Like the properties of quark interactions mean furbies are possible. They mean a lot of other things. But they also mean that furbies currently exist. It's a silly and specific way to phrase it, but it's also still true.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I just can't tell what you are saying other than "if a bit of science means a silly result is possible we should not think about it ever again". But like, regardless of if you like or dislike some specifics about infinite time meaning brains or unicorns or whatever silly example you pick it is real science stemming from real questions.

This is becoming a massive derail now. Real science, as per Popper, is whether or not things can be falsified. Whereby, as per your previous example, science has a real drat problem figuring out the specifics of the big bang, since we have no way of seeing the drat thing. You can disagree with popperism, that's fine, philosophy of science is a broad tent and I just happen to live in one corner of it. I suppose we can insist that if time is infinite, then everything ever conceived must somewhere exist, there's a whole Heinlein book series about that. The separate issue here, in the context of this thread, and aliens, and the 'where is everybody' question, is what we can and cannot hope to see in the near future. The unicorn planet could be found and studied, sure, and the Boltzmann brain living out their eternity could meet the last remnants of what becomes of mankind, sure. But these are thought experiments (at best) so far removed from what may be done in the scope of today's methods that they are meaningless, for the purpose of the Fermi question. I am not saying no one should ever think about them, or anything of that sort, just that the conclusions we may draw from them, thumbless happy unicorns or eternal Boltzmann brains floating out in the distant future, that they do not actually contribute to the 'where is everybody' question.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The answer to practical problems like:

(A) Physics doesn't support FTL

(B) Humans traveling in deep space are exposed to terrific amounts of radiation

(C) It's harder to slow a rocket down than to speed it up

... Isn't "well obviously we just have to wait for the above to become untrue, according to Philosophy 101"

You're talking to people ITT who have actually studied these problems and responding to them with pseudoscientific platitudes. "Anything/everything will eventually happen" is being used as a crutch to support what you hope will happen, absent all other evidence.

Woah slow down there, (B) and (C) either aren't true in the grand scheme of things or aren't obstacles in the grand scheme of things given timescales involved.

Considering how the earth itself quite naturally travels through space and we're fine from radiation suggests that artificial methods and materials certainly can be made through engineering methods if we really put ourselves to that task. It's unclear to me what the problem about "slowing down" is, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong because the energy it takes to go forward and speed up I'm pretty sure has to be the same as the amount to negate it? That's just Newton's law innit? So any engine we have that can push us one direction just flip the spaceship 180 and eventually it'll slow down and stop so it's just a matter of planning when to pull the acceleration/deacceleration switch and if you're well below hyperrelativistic speeds then it shouldn't be too difficult if you miss to swing by some gravity wells and come back; especially if its a starship and not something with really limited amounts of fuel.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

With simulation stuff at least someone with a will has to have picked to do it. Like you can't say if it did happen or not, only it could and it might be likely. With this, you can say it WILL happen and there is no way to stop it from happening.

you can't say boltzmann brains WILL happen.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Unfalsifiable isn't just a magic word that means whatever. The claims are falsifiable. Using them to talk about unicorns or brains is very silly but that doesn't change anything. It's not like a monty python narrator is going to come in and say "these theories are true, but they stop being true if you say silly consensus of them!"

how would someone falsify the boltzman brains claim? set up an experiment that lasted 5x10^50 years or something?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Communist Thoughts posted:

how would someone falsify the boltzman brains claim? set up an experiment that lasted 5x10^50 years or something?

The two parts are "quantum fluctuations can create particles spontaneously" and "there is no point in the future physics will stop operating" both of which are perfectly scientific questions. Once you have answered both there isn't any large leap to ask any "will an X be created" and having the answer be "yes, eventually" because there is no reason any combination of atoms would not eventually happen in some horrifyingly long amount of time. This has very upsetting consequences but that doesn't make it less true.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The two parts are "quantum fluctuations can create particles spontaneously" and "there is no point in the future physics will stop operating" both of which are perfectly scientific questions. Once you have answered both there isn't any large leap to ask any "will an X be created" and having the answer be "yes, eventually" because there is no reason any combination of atoms would not eventually happen in some horrifyingly long amount of time. This has very upsetting consequences but that doesn't make it less true.

The problem is, though, that this conclusion, or thought exercise if you will, only really leads us in one direction:

A) Assume that Boltzmann brains will be created in the quantum fluctuations that occur in a very distant epoch of the universe

B) Given the law of large numbers, it's more likely that we are in a simulation of a universe existing within a Boltzmann brain or some long distant series of Boltzmann brains having flitting successive thoughts in inexorably immense eons of time.

And that's it. That's where it ends. Like, the only thing someone could do with that is go "Huh! Maybe." But it doesn't bring to light any new revelation about our presently existing universe. Like it doesn't matter for the intents and purposes of what is physically possible in our universe right now, or what the presently known physics of this universe could imply, whether it exists inside a simulation created by a Boltzmann brain, or whether it actually exists, because we can't tell the difference. From the perspective of observers on the inside of the universe, our universe existing as functioning as it does is all that matters, regardless of what is "maintaining" it. This is because we cannot get outside the universe to observe it or affect it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Our true destiny is to break out of our simulation and kill our creator.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DrSunshine posted:

The problem is, though, that this conclusion, or thought exercise if you will, only really leads us in one direction:

A) Assume that Boltzmann brains will be created in the quantum fluctuations that occur in a very distant epoch of the universe

B) Given the law of large numbers, it's more likely that we are in a simulation of a universe existing within a Boltzmann brain or some long distant series of Boltzmann brains having flitting successive thoughts in inexorably immense eons of time.

And that's it. That's where it ends. Like, the only thing someone could do with that is go "Huh! Maybe." But it doesn't bring to light any new revelation about our presently existing universe. Like it doesn't matter for the intents and purposes of what is physically possible in our universe right now, or what the presently known physics of this universe could imply, whether it exists inside a simulation created by a Boltzmann brain, or whether it actually exists, because we can't tell the difference. From the perspective of observers on the inside of the universe, our universe existing as functioning as it does is all that matters, regardless of what is "maintaining" it. This is because we cannot get outside the universe to observe it or affect it.

I mean if you want you can tell me that dinosaurs don’t matter and you will never meet one so they aren’t worth thinking about if you want but that seems pretty dumb.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean if you want you can tell me that dinosaurs don’t matter and you will never meet one so they aren’t worth thinking about if you want but that seems pretty dumb.

That's a broken analogy, you're comparing apples to oranges.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There's a very big difference between an entire clade of organisms that have physical traces we can study vs someone's thought experiment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You meet dinosaurs all the time. I ate one for lunch today with a curry sauce and veg.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

And not to mention it's a totally different class of thought experiment from, say, the Trolley Problem, which actually has some interesting bearing on human behavior and utilitarianism.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I think that we are all real posters but Owlofcreamcheese is a Boltzmann brain desperately trying to communicate with the world before it snuffs out.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I can't believe that Owlofcreamcheese just conflated paleontology with metaphysics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also in the Boltzmann Brain theory there will be hundreds of brains just like yours only with a strange and disturbing fetish added in.