Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did Azure Moon after Verdant Wind and it ended up being my favorite route. It has some big problems, but all the routes do, and I ended up really liking the character focus on Azure Moon.

I don't really have a favorite house, though. All three of them have great characters and that's great because it means I'm excited to replay any of the routes whenever I get the itch to play some 3H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Fhqwhgads posted:

This part is more characte/mechanics spoilery but I don't care as much: If I do go Black Eagles1, I lose Edel and Hubert, but I've been investing into them. Is that wasted or do I keep that investment at all if I keep NG+'ing into her story eventually? I'm early enough on where I wouldn't mind restarting if it's wasted investment.

Honestly, even on Maddening its advisable to still rely on them. The exp and other resources you invest they get isn't 'wasted' if they help you clear the chapter / are utilized to help your other characters survive and kill enemies. (in turn getting trained themselves). When you approach it that way, you'll find a way to make the best of them without overrelying on them in inefficient ways.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was kind of bummed out that we never get to meet Count Bergliez. Especially in non-CF routes, he's this big existential force that freaks Caspar out constantly, but he never pops up. I would've loved to see a battle between him and Nader because just by how he's described, he's probably just as battle hardened and fight-happy. Like, I easily imagine him as the classic anime dad. Just like the main character but like...more so! Caspar cranked up to 11. :allears:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

AlternateNu posted:

I was kind of bummed out that we never get to meet Count Bergliez. Especially in non-CF routes, he's this big existential force that freaks Caspar out constantly, but he never pops up. I would've loved to see a battle between him and Nader because just by how he's described, he's probably just as battle hardened and fight-happy. Like, I easily imagine him as the classic anime dad. Just like the main character but like...more so! Caspar cranked up to 11. :allears:

I kind of assumed that the real Count Bergliez is not actually as intimidating as his son thinks he is.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I like to imagine a Drill Sargent vibe rather than just, one man army.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I always assumed Bergliez was really good at being a commander-type but not as great an individual fighter as Caspar thinks.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Airspace posted:

I always assumed Bergliez was really good at being a commander-type but not as great an individual fighter as Caspar thinks.

It is established that Lindhart's dad could beat him up. Established with science.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Never getting to see Hilda's brother is a tremendous wasted opportunity. Especially with Balthus also having a connection to him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I remember in one of the post-release interviews that the devs said they deliberately wrote Hilda’s super strong brother that was singlehandedly keeping the Almyrans at bay to never appear because it was more realistic not to encounter every super strong guy ever even across four routes. It’s a mentality I appreciate a lot, thinking about it, even if I am super curious about guys like Count Bergliez and Holst.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Last Celebration posted:

I remember in one of the post-release interviews that the devs said they deliberately wrote Hilda’s super strong brother that was singlehandedly keeping the Almyrans at bay to never appear because it was more realistic not to encounter every super strong guy ever even across four routes. It’s a mentality I appreciate a lot, thinking about it, even if I am super curious about guys like Count Bergliez and Holst.

I think that's a really smart choice since stuff like that makes the world feel bigger. I think it also makes him more appealing to leave it to the player's imagination. No matter how he was presented, he might have been a disappointment if he had actually appeared.

I just finished my second playthrough, a new+ playthrough of Blue Lions. I think it definitely had a more solid overall story than the Golden Deer route, which felt like it totally changed focus 3/4 of the way through, but I still like a lot of the characters in Golden Deer better.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like to imagine Holst is exactly like Hilda.

Really competent murderer with an axe, who is also super lazy and hates doing it, so the whole paralogue is just him faking sick because he knows hilda and her friends will handle the defense for once, and he'll be able to relax

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Really competent murderer with an axe, who is also super lazy and hates doing it, so the whole paralogue is just him faking sick because he knows hilda and her friends will handle the defense for once, and he'll be able to relax
I feel like Balthus might be the closest we get to seeing what Holst is like. Surprisingly smart musclehead who has a fair understanding of how the world works, and is way more savvy than the outer cover would tell you. Just add in "doting, overprotective big brother", remove the gambling/debt issues, and sub in axes over fists, and you have Holst.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KittyEmpress posted:

Big Strong Warrior Guy with pink hair is a funny image. I can't imagine anyone taking him seriously until he shoves an ax into their gut

After Duscur, why didt Ingrid's dad try to find new suitors instead of using Felix? Marrying the dead guy's brother is a thing that happened IRL

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Big Strong Warrior Guy with pink hair is a funny image. I can't imagine anyone taking him seriously until he shoves an ax into their gut

After Duscur, why didt Ingrid's dad try to find new suitors instead of using Felix? Marrying the dead guy's brother is a thing that happened IRL

Since Felix has a crest, he's all set up to be the next duke of Fraldarius, and it's possible that Ingrid's dad wouldn't want to set him up with her because he'd essentially be giving her away to House Fraldarius. Maybe Glenn didn't have a crest and the arrangement was more about him marrying into House Galatea than the other way around. There's nothing that can be done except speculate, though, since we know next to nothing about Glenn.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well Manicured Man posted:

Since Felix has a crest, he's all set up to be the next duke of Fraldarius, and it's possible that Ingrid's dad wouldn't want to set him up with her because he'd essentially be giving her away to House Fraldarius. Maybe Glenn didn't have a crest and the arrangement was more about him marrying into House Galatea than the other way around. There's nothing that can be done except speculate, though, since we know next to nothing about Glenn.

We know he's :ghost:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It’s possible Rodrigue just turned him down on Felix’s behalf, too. I can’t imagine Felix being anything but disgusted and horrified at the idea of filling in as a husband for Glenn, and I don’t think his father would try to push the match without his consent.

You’re right that it’s odd the idea never comes up, though.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

I don't think they were gunning for that particular realist historicism when writing the game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Well Manicured Man posted:

Given what we know about the houses of Gautier and Blaiddyd, Glenn not having a crest seems unlikely

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm playing through Black Eagles now, and I recruited Lysithea, and her support conversations with Edelgard, as well as Edelgard's with Byleth have been enlightening.

I like how I'm getting a very different perspective on Edelgard and her motives then I got when playing through either of the other two routes. (I'm still in the month of the school's battle of the eagle and lion, so I'm pretty sure there are going to be some other revelations coming my way.)

It's all especially interesting since the route I played before this was Blue Lions, so I learned a lot about Edelgard from Dimitri's perspective, and already this early in the Black Eagles run, I've learned some new things about Edelgard that make her appear very different than she did in Blue Lions.

Also, Hubert is CREEPY

Also, the dynamic with the house leader and second-in-command is funny in retrospect.

Dedue: I will be his majesty's shield.

Hubert: I will pave a path of blood for Lady Edelgard.

Hilda: lol, I hate getting sweaty!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Inu posted:

I'm playing through Black Eagles now, and I recruited Lysithea, and her support conversations with Edelgard, as well as Edelgard's with Byleth have been enlightening.

I like how I'm getting a very different perspective on Edelgard and her motives then I got when playing through either of the other two routes. (I'm still in the month of the school's battle of the eagle and lion, so I'm pretty sure there are going to be some other revelations coming my way.)

It's all especially interesting since the route I played before this was Blue Lions, so I learned a lot about Edelgard from Dimitri's perspective, and already this early in the Black Eagles run, I've learned some new things about Edelgard that make her appear very different than she did in Blue Lions.

Also, Hubert is CREEPY

Also, the dynamic with the house leader and second-in-command is funny in retrospect.

Hubert's a good boy. Make sure you do his supports with Bernie and Ferdinand!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Inu posted:

They all fit their lords perfectly. Edelgard needs someone to carry out her revolution under shadow of night without ever questioning her, Dimitri needs someone to keep him from going full Feral Revenge Guy, and Claude needs someone who would 100% be willing to call him an idiot if his plans are getting to be too much. It also roughly matches the hierarchy between the various houses in each kingdom. A lord calling their ruler out in Fahrgus or the Adrestian Empire is cause for battle but you just know Claude’s dad has been called every name in the book 5 times over to his face by the other lords in the Alliance.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

It also roughly matches the hierarchy between the various houses in each kingdom. A lord calling their ruler out in Fahrgus or the Adrestian Empire is cause for battle but you just know Claude’s dad has been called every name in the book 5 times over to his face by the other lords in the Alliance.

uhhhhh

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

They all fit their lords perfectly. Edelgard needs someone to carry out her revolution under shadow of night without ever questioning her, Dimitri needs someone to keep him from going full Feral Revenge Guy, and Claude needs someone who would 100% be willing to call him an idiot if his plans are getting to be too much. It also roughly matches the hierarchy between the various houses in each kingdom. A lord calling their ruler out in Fahrgus or the Adrestian Empire is cause for battle but you just know Claude’s dad has been called every name in the book 5 times over to his face by the other lords in the Alliance.

Dedue is great but I don't think he would have been much help stopping Dimitri from going full feral.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DC Murderverse posted:

Claude's grandfather. Claude's dad is not the leader or even a member of the Alliance, his connection to his noble blood comes from his mother.

Also Dedue does not keep Dimitri from going feral at all. In fact, he's perfectly willing to go just as berserk if he's ordered to, since he's loyal to Dimitri to an absurd level due to his past traumas and shared history with him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Inu posted:

Also, Hubert is CREEPY

Yeah, I wouldn't say that Edelgard did nothing wrong, but her actions get a lot more sympathetic and reasonable once you see her side of the story.

Her campaign also, despite being the shortest, gives the biggest True Ending vibe in some ways. Byleth's heart beating for the first time and the credits losing the vocals both stand out as cappers in comparison to the other finales.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Given what we know about the houses of Gautier and Blaiddyd, Glenn not having a crest seems unlikely

Crests can also manifest in one person in a generation of an immediate family, and also skip generations. If you're alluding to what I think you're alluding to with Gautier, a certain someone got himself way farther out of good graces with his family over spite over the lack of a crest thing than he would have simply by playing a dutiful son and member of a noble family.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite minor detail about Hubert is how secretly thrilled he is if you make him a dancer. Everyone who's not Dimitri or Felix is happy to win, but Hubert basically has to stifle a giggle that you somehow helped him win a popularity contest.

E: vAlso good!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 14, 2020

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
If we're Hubert posting my favorite Hubert fact is that he wishes he could be a Pegasus Knight.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

If we're Hubert posting my favorite Hubert fact is that he wishes he could be a Pegasus Knight.

Dark Flier should have been gender-neutral just for this.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

chiasaur11 posted:

Her campaign also, despite being the shortest, gives the biggest True Ending vibe in some ways. Byleth's heart beating for the first time and the credits losing the vocals both stand out as cappers in comparison to the other finales.

I just got to the branch and I went in knowing I was going fourth route so I've been completely ignoring Edelgard and Hubert and I guess if I was going into this completely blind I would have been more than a little miffed at the apparent heel turn.. I plan on doing her route last now.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Shinji117 posted:

Dark Flier should have been gender-neutral just for this.

I think the game would have benefit greatly from way less gender restrictions. I got tired of making Hilda a Wyvern Lord. Really should get around to looking at what the modding community has done for this game so far.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Really? Because I'd say the exact opposite: the retainers provide exactly what their lords do not need.

Edelgard needs a friend and someone to confide in, and Hubert specifically refuses to be that. Edelgard is perfectly willing to do the dirty work herself, and Hubert is probably making things worse by trying to insulate her from what she does.

Dimitri needs someone to keep him from going full Feral Revenge Guy, yeah, but Dedue is not that person. Dedue is perfectly willing to do horrible things that Dimitri doesn't even want done, and won't contradict Dimitri even when he's incredibly self-destructive.

Claude needs a reason for him to care about anything that isn't himself or his plans, and Hilda's lax attitude towards everything doesn't give him much of a reason. She's fun to hang around with, sure, but he needs a deeper connection than just someone to hang out with.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

Crests can also manifest in one person in a generation of an immediate family, and also skip generations. If you're alluding to what I think you're alluding to with Gautier, a certain someone got himself way farther out of good graces with his family over spite over the lack of a crest thing than he would have simply by playing a dutiful son and member of a noble family.

More to the point, it's also very specifically called out that House Gautier is rather... extreme in their views regarding the necessity of crests even within the Kingdom. So trying to say that just because it applies to Gautier it would apply to other houses doesn't really work. And as you referenced, a lot of people seem to miss the difference between Miklan losing his right to be heir (what happened after Sylvain was born with a crest), and Miklan being flat out disowned and thrown out (what happened after he started being a murderous piece of poo poo).

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's only ever said that Miklan got the boot because of the lack of a Crest.

There was also an Abyss NPC talking about how his branch got thrown out of his family because they didn't have Crests.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Lambert became king instead of his older brother because Lambert had a crest and Rufus didn’t.

Faerghus’ toxic Crest culture is shown in more ways than just the Gautier family drama. They’re just the most obvious example that is explicitly shown across all routes.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 14, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shinji117 posted:

Lambert became king instead of his older brother because Lambert had a crest and Rufus didn’t.

Faerghus’ toxic Crest culture is shown in more ways than just the Gautier family drama. They’re just the most obvious example that is explicitly shown across all routes.

Like...all of Mercedes' backstory.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Like...all of Mercedes' backstory.

I mean, yes. But that’s not as obvious (as it’s out of the main story) and also a different kind of toxicity. Gautier, the Abyss guy and Rufus are all examples of “Crested family member’s birth overwrites current family”, while Mercedes falls into the “Produce Crestbabies (through rape if necessary)” toxicity category.

Caste systems are really just various layers of toxicity all the way through. Tear it all down.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The crest system is horrible, but let's not lose sight of the fact that absent of it, it would be the much better (?) oldest child inherits feudal system...

Both systems are just "inherited due to accident of birth", i.e. was born first/was born with a crest. Both are terrible, with the crest system being just a little bit worse.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 14, 2020

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Torrannor posted:

The crest system is horrible, but let's not lose sight of the fact that absent of it, it would be the much better (?) oldest child inherits feudal system...

True. Down with the feudal system also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Torrannor posted:

Both systems are just "inherited due to accident of birth", i.e. was born first/was born with a crest. Both are terrible, with the crest system being just a little bit worse.

I mean in the one route where they get rid of crests they also abolish the feudal system of familial inheritance and institute universal education :v: