Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Am I the only person who utterly hated Inspector Gadget as a kid because I wanted a show about a badass cyborg fighting supervillains and instead we were stuck with this moron trying to arrest his dog while his niece did all the work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

AceOfFlames posted:

Am I the only person who utterly hated Inspector Gadget as a kid because I wanted a show about a badass cyborg fighting supervillains and instead we were stuck with this moron trying to arrest his dog while his niece did all the work?

Ha I didn't hate it but I did wish it had more of that, yes. This AD got me to dip back into the Google Drive for the episode on the movie and now I've redownloaded the original ep on Superman 3+4 so I can better appreciate the redo for 500.

Anyone got any faves from the first 100 that I should check out? I've only listened to about 20 of those over the years since I never heard of a lot of them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jojoinnit posted:

Ha I didn't hate it but I did wish it had more of that, yes. This AD got me to dip back into the Google Drive for the episode on the movie and now I've redownloaded the original ep on Superman 3+4 so I can better appreciate the redo for 500.

Anyone got any faves from the first 100 that I should check out? I've only listened to about 20 of those over the years since I never heard of a lot of them.

Any Jim Belushi film, no hold barred, gymkata, babycakes, Raven.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

bobkatt013 posted:

Gymkata is a serious early gem. And, to me, was a clear indicator of how much better this show was than How Did This Get Made, which did the same movie, but who's episode on it was no where near as funny. It's when I realized that these "amateurs", even that early on, were so much funnier than actual "professionals".

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
During the Inspector Gadget episode I kept thinking that a remake with David Lynch doing the voice would be perfect and loving terrifying

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

thrawn527 posted:

Gymkata is a serious early gem. And, to me, was a clear indicator of how much better this show was than How Did This Get Made, which did the same movie, but who's episode on it was no where near as funny. It's when I realized that these "amateurs", even that early on, were so much funnier than actual "professionals".

I've not heard the HDTGM on Gymkata but I imagine it went something like this.

Mantzoukas: WHY is this GUY so OBSESSED with GYMNASTICS!?
Raphael: Gymnastics? Is that what that was? OH is that why the movie is called GYMkata?
Scheer: *reads Wikipedia page on Kurt Thomas in its entirety*

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

teen witch posted:

During the Inspector Gadget episode I kept thinking that a remake with David Lynch doing the voice would be perfect and loving terrifying

I don’t think a show about a bumbling weapon filled cyborg cop would play well these days.

Though I guess that would be part of the horror.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

SkeletonHero posted:

Raphael: Gymnastics? Is that what that was? OH is that why the movie is called GYMkata?

In a recent episode, Andrew made a quick little comment about Jason Mantzoukas being in something and I couldn't help thinking that it was mostly a swipe at HDTGM.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clown shoes posted:

In a recent episode, Andrew made a quick little comment about Jason Mantzoukas being in something and I couldn't help thinking that it was mostly a swipe at HDTGM.

Theoretical Weekend at Bernie's remake in the Sherlock Holmes episode

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Don't forget hider in the house! The beginning of Busey.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SkeletonHero posted:

HDTGM kinda feels like a movie podcast aimed at the kind of person who thought Quibi was a good idea.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

bobkatt013 posted:

Gymkata and Babycakes are god-tier episodes. Check out the one on Hackers, too.

It’s just outside that range, but The Pallbearer is another classic - worth it for Cloudy alone!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

HDTGM kinda feels like a movie podcast aimed at the kind of person who thought Quibi was a good idea.

This is low key brutal.

Also for early eps Dracula 2000 is a must listen.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I listen to it every once in a while when I run out of podcasts to listen to. It has its moments, usually from Mantzoukas. For some reason June Diane Raphael is the only person playing a character. It ain’t WHM, but that’s a high bar to clear.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Invisible Child is also amazing for early episodes.

Also Friday the Thirteenth Part 5- aka Roy the movie

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I will defend HDTGM to the death if we keep it to the first say 50 episodes. I need to relisten to some of those because there were flat out hilarious ones (88 Minutes with all the Pacino impressions is one of my favs). People have called it out before, but it was when the scale tipped to majority live episodes that the cast became Flanderized versions of themselves that it dropped off a cliff hard and never recovered.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cael posted:

I will defend HDTGM to the death if we keep it to the first say 50 episodes. I need to relisten to some of those because there were flat out hilarious ones (88 Minutes with all the Pacino impressions is one of my favs). People have called it out before, but it was when the scale tipped to majority live episodes that the cast became Flanderized versions of themselves that it dropped off a cliff hard and never recovered.

And at any given time, most if not all of said classic episodes are stuck behind a Stitcher Premium paywall.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I feel like a lot of "non-professional*" podcasts will eventually get stuck in a trap where they just get way too drunk on their fame, and just get their heads stuck way too far up their asses.

*I'm not calling WHM unprofessional, but I use "professional" to refer to podcasts that are funded by a larger media presence or corporation, that hire professional journalists and/or broadcasters.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

GPTribefan posted:

Gymkata and Babycakes are god-tier episodes. Check out the one on Hackers, too.

It’s just outside that range, but The Pallbearer is another classic - worth it for Cloudy alone!

Ah yep I did Hackers and The Net back to back yesterday. Both were excellent. I appreciate all the recs guys! :)

Cael posted:

I found HDTGM first and enjoyed a few episodes but all the ones I hear are great (including the one on Punisher: War Zone with the director) are behind a paywall and I'll never pony up for content that is only promised to be better than the current free content which is frequently awful. It's a shame. As soon as I found stuff like WHM and Blank Check I never looked back.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I listened to them at the beginning and they were real good and funny. Then when they started going full time live shows it became a sitcom.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They seem like nice people but they’re just not that into the show. Jason watches the movie on his phone in taxis and stuff. For the “professional” movie podcast cast it’s not given a lot of effort.

They’d much rather get all hyped up and yell (mostly Jason to be fair) rather than chat. It’s a shame because it’s best when they do go behind the scenes and discuss the titular issue. That just doesn’t really happen on stage.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it's the one thing Jason does that isnt remotely funny. what a shame.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I do appreciate that even for the worst movies, the WHM gang will be like "gently caress, fell asleep. I should rewind this part :sigh:" instead of half paying attention watching the movie on the way to do the episode for it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He’s a funny guy but really not suited for podcasts. You can’t really get the energy without a visual IMO. The other two hosts are pretty bad too. Paul is a bit creepy to hear and JDR is either a comedic genius or a very strange person.

Weird show and just goes to show how far their connections / fame has gone to make them one of the top movie podcasts.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Marin Karin posted:

I do appreciate that even for the worst movies, the WHM gang will be like "gently caress, fell asleep. I should rewind this part :sigh:" instead of half paying attention watching the movie on the way to do the episode for it.

the thing that made me finally shut HDTGM off for good early on was that if I hadn't seen the movie in question, I had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about. I've never had that problem with WHM

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I have the Dante’s Peak episode to thank for introducing me to the phrase “burst squirrels.” Exquisite mouthfeel.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

the thing that made me finally shut HDTGM off for good early on was that if I hadn't seen the movie in question, I had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about. I've never had that problem with WHM

Definitely. I've listened to nearly every episode of WHM, and have only seen like... 15-20 of the movies they've done. And some of my fav episodes are on movies I've never watched. They're really excellent at painting a clear picture of what's happening in the movie, even as the madness of its shittiness gets to them and they talk about hot dogs for 30 minutes.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
WHM provides a public service by breaking down movies I would never watch in a million years.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I dig this podcast but I wish they’d stop with those series reviews. Those Pirates movies are so similar I didn’t need 4 episodes on them.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It’s tough with the series because with the pirates movie, absolutely yes, the things just blend together and at some point it was just white noise story wise and I had no idea what was goin on, but then you take something like the Friday the 13th series and I would’ve loved episodes on the earlier movies instead of starting with 7/8/9 and a 2009 inclusion but then throwing the rest into a 45 minute grab bag. At least those movies are all somewhat more unique and do different deals with each flick and have plenty of dumb characters to riff on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

sponges posted:

I dig this podcast but I wish they’d stop with those series reviews. Those Pirates movies are so similar I didn’t need 4 episodes on them.

On the other hand, it was fun hearing them descend further into madness each week, deeply regretting having done Pirate month.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The series stuff is best when they space it out like how they've handled the Terminator franchise. While I was in the Google drive I gave the Mission Impossible marathon another listen and it realllly showed that they did all four recordings in an afternoon. It's a real shame cause that franchise has some fantastic WHM/WLM potential and MI2 deserved it's own legit episode on the main feed. It has dueling motorcycles that earned a parody in that years Scary Movie ffs.

The Pirates movies really cemented that, I agree it started to blend into sameness until characters that they could really tangent about like Keith Richards showed up, and that was at least done weekly, not literally together. The guys need variety.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 8, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dorium posted:

It’s tough with the series because with the pirates movie, absolutely yes, the things just blend together and at some point it was just white noise story wise and I had no idea what was goin on, but then you take something like the Friday the 13th series and I would’ve loved episodes on the earlier movies instead of starting with 7/8/9 and a 2009 inclusion but then throwing the rest into a 45 minute grab bag. At least those movies are all somewhat more unique and do different deals with each flick and have plenty of dumb characters to riff on.

They've also done 5, Freddy vs Jason and Jason X

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There is a good bit in the HDTGM episode of Reindeer Games where they realize Ben Affleck's named Rudy as in Rudolph and they're all very incredulous. And then they realize another character was named Nick as in Old St. Nick. And Diane asks, "What was Charlize Theron's name?" And without missing a beat someone says deadpan, "Blitzen."

And that's pretty good poo poo that slays.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

There is a good bit in the HDTGM episode of Reindeer Games where they realize Ben Affleck's named Rudy as in Rudolph and they're all very incredulous. And then they realize another character was named Nick as in Old St. Nick. And Diane asks, "What was Charlize Theron's name?" And without missing a beat someone says deadpan, "Blitzen."

And that's pretty good poo poo that sleighs.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

UP-date:

quote:

Hello there WHM Family!

Due to a VERY SERIOUS storm that rocked this part of the country last week and left half the WHM folks without power, we had to scramble to finish our August recordings in time and still take our blessed two and a half week Summer break. So, the last title of the month had to be changed out, but we think you'll be really excited with what we replaced it with. 

Schedule for August is as follows, new title in BOLD

Episode 498 — Dante's Peak with Justin Case

Episode 499 — Multiplicity

Episode 500 — Superman III & Superman IV REDUX

Episode 502 — While You Were Sleeping with Chelsea Jupin

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — Superman: The Movie

Animation Damnation — Inspector Gadget: "Monster Lake" (s1, e1)

The Nexus: TOS: "Obsession" (s2, e13) TNG: "Samaritan Snare" (s2, e16)

Gleep Glossary: Jar Jar Binks

Patreon Re-Released Commentary: Star Trek: Nemesis

Find all this crap and enjoy it legally, just like we do! now!

Looking more forward to this than the previous choice tbh (Stone Cold, the Brian Bosworth action film)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 10, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that's a trade-up frankly, thank you doom storm!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

What's there even to joke about with Stone Cold, it's a fully perfect film with no weaknesses to dissect

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

AceOfFlames posted:

UP-date:

Looking more forward to this than the previous choice tbh (Stone Cold, the Brian Bosworth action film)

That switch may make this the best month in the history of WHM. Dante’s Peak was already top tier and they’ve been wanting to do Multiplicity for half past forever - WYWS is just icing on the cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GPTribefan posted:

That switch may make this the best month in the history of WHM. Dante’s Peak was already top tier and they’ve been wanting to do Multiplicity for half past forever - WYWS is just icing on the cake

Especially with Chelsea on. She’s always an awesome addition to the show. I can’t wait.