Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Warbird posted:

I really appreciate YOLO being presented as a documentary on Aussie life. And as far as the Hotel thing, it’s ok. I thought the Boss side story thing was pretty good.

Michael Cusack's entire body of work is literally just documentaries of Australian life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I know I've been on the internet too long because I read "The Horny Spider show got picked up" and didn't immediately know which cartoon people were talking about.

That aside, despite it's flaws, I did really enjoy Hazbin, it felt like a labor of love and I enjoyed the designs. Certainly rough around the edges on parts, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a dedicated team behind it.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 8, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I got the impression Hazbin desperately wanted to be this generations' Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise: the show.

Nothing seemed organically designed, it was just a cluttered mashup of themes and visuals you'd see at Hot Topic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I got the impression Hazbin desperately wanted to be this generations' Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise: the show.

Nothing seemed organically designed, it was just a cluttered mashup of themes and visuals you'd see at Hot Topic.

Judging from the amount of merch they cranked out for one pilot, I'd say you're not exactly wrong.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TwoPair posted:

Judging from the amount of merch they cranked out for one pilot, I'd say you're not exactly wrong.

I'd say they were, as far as I know the actual making of the pilot took over two years. Them making Merch of it to make money to make more seems like, pretty basic economics not some insiduous plot.

Anyway the reason Vaggie (the girlfriend) is in hell from memory is that she was a prostitute in life (note, Hazbin Hotel is probably not making a moral judgement against sex workers because the show portrays her as a good person with a violent streak and more importantly the only example of heavenly beings we've seen so far are robotic extermination angels). The other ones are Alastor was a serial killer in life (and a radio broadcaster) and Angel Dust was a gangster. Charlie was born in hell and was never mortal.

I'm honestly guessing part of the show is going to end up being about how lovely heaven is too, in the overly authoritarian puritanical way. It's very noteworthy that their "solution" to Hell overpopulating is mass-slaughter. As for why people can die twice, normal injuries are healed from, angelic weaponry can purge souls and thus makes demons/sinners just disappear forever.

Other likely themes are family both found and otherwise (see Charlie's issues with both her dad and mom), the real meaning of friendship and redemption, and probably beating the hell out of Angel's boss at some point (a legit scumbag demon who if you watch their new music video ADDICT you will get all you need to know why they'll rip him apart).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'd say they were, as far as I know the actual making of the pilot took over two years. Them making Merch of it to make money to make more seems like, pretty basic economics not some insiduous plot.

There have been plenty of other pilots with merch, like Error 15: file not found

But what I meant was that the art direction, characterization, shoed-in exposition, etc all have a pervasive Hot Topic vibe. Its whole production feels grounded in selling sassy and irreverant keychains, not in having a story that needs told.

Part of a pilot is that it's an advertisement for the series, so there's that. But Hazbin just had this strange desperation. It wasn't the edgelord, it was the edge-apprentice rote repeating tropes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there is no amount of times anyone can type the name Vaggie for a female character that will ever normalize it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean, personally I think they made the show they wanted to make? It reminds me of the Invader Zim pilot, in that it’s mostly an introduction to characters and setting more than trying to say anything particularly deep, and I don’t mind that.

I’m pretty sure the art is the way it is because that’s the art the creator grew up liking, it’s pretty consistent with the stuff they drew and put online as a teenager. It just seems like a really weird way to say you don’t like it, which is fine.

It’s not as tight as it could be, which hopefully the budget and production team will help fix, but I didn’t see desperation, just effort and lots of personal investment/preferences.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

moths posted:

But what I meant was that the art direction, characterization, shoed-in exposition, etc all have a pervasive Hot Topic vibe. Its whole production feels grounded in selling sassy and irreverant keychains, not in having a story that needs told.
I think that can be a fine approach but you'd need both, you can't have the actual skeleton of the franchise be perfunctory

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’m pretty sure the art is the way it is because that’s the art the creator grew up liking, it’s pretty consistent with the stuff they drew and put online as a teenager. It just seems like a really weird way to say you don’t like it, which is fine.

It does sort of look like an artsyle that I've seen a lot of artists go through as adolescents before maturing as artists and adopting whatever they would go on to do as adults.

Even more than that, I feel like the whole edginess of the show feels more like a teenager thing, because that's the age that most people are usually obsessed with edginess, whereas I feel like actual adult stuff is less worried about sex and violence and more worried about the meaninglessness of life and struggling to keep afloat in a world that does not care, but that sort of edginess obsession does permeate the rest of "adult" entertainment as well.

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

so squidbillies is apparently moving forward sans unknown hinson

as one of the production staff and a fan; i am uneasy about how this is going to go. hoping for the best, but that's a pretty major shift losing the main voice an' all

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looked up what happened and that's disappointing.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I'm having a hard time imagining the show moving forward without him. He was the lead character for over ten seasons and, in addition to having a very distinctive voice, a lot of his personality went in to making that character. Early was pretty much made with him in mind.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Geez checked out the posts and it looks like he tried method acting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've been watching the Futurama reboot - possibly for the first time, I've seen some of the episodes but not many. I think what kills them for me is that they clearly don't care about the character relationships in the way they did previously.
Amy suddenly marrying Bender, Fry and Leela being together then not being over and over. It's just sorta strange.

The episodes are still mostly funny but it's clearly weaker. I especially disliked the nanobender episode because it just kinda ended without a resolution

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Rand Brittain posted:

My main problem with it was that it didn't really have anything to say on the topic. The protagonist was a fool bashing her head into the cynicism of the world without really having anything to offer people looking for help becoming better people (if such people actually existed).

"Naive idealist who wants to help but is clueless as to specifically how" is totally a valid starting point - they'd just have to build an intelligent character arc around it, having her learn how to actually make a difference instead of just whining about how things aren't as she thinks they should be.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Some changes coming to Squidbillies

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/squidbillies-stuart-baker-fired-offensive-social-media-early-cuyler-adult-swim/

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Cockmaster posted:

"Naive idealist who wants to help but is clueless as to specifically how" is totally a valid starting point - they'd just have to build an intelligent character arc around it, having her learn how to actually make a difference instead of just whining about how things aren't as she thinks they should be.

Yeah, I guess what I’m saying is that I didn’t walk away with any confidence that they could pull this off.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taear posted:

I've been watching the Futurama reboot - possibly for the first time, I've seen some of the episodes but not many. I think what kills them for me is that they clearly don't care about the character relationships in the way they did previously.
Amy suddenly marrying Bender, Fry and Leela being together then not being over and over. It's just sorta strange.

The episodes are still mostly funny but it's clearly weaker. I especially disliked the nanobender episode because it just kinda ended without a resolution

I wouldn't really even agree that they're funny, by and large. It's like they'd totally forgotten how to do the almost giddy, effortless-seeming character interplay humor that had been their stock in trade. Nu-Futurama brought me no joy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I wouldn't really even agree that they're funny, by and large. It's like they'd totally forgotten how to do the almost giddy, effortless-seeming character interplay humor that had been their stock in trade. Nu-Futurama brought me no joy.

There are still some good episodes. I guess the huge time gap just made them forget what made it work? It's also weird to me to actively say "it's 3010" but everyone not be older.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh hey, Aggretsuko S3 is comin'

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Being pro-racism and anti-Dolly Parton seems like a bold move.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pro racism has been coming back into vogue for years, but anti-Parton is some new record low of scummy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Death to those that bismerch the name of Dolly.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Taear posted:

There are still some good episodes. I guess the huge time gap just made them forget what made it work? It's also weird to me to actively say "it's 3010" but everyone not be older.

If I recall correctly, they switched out a lot of the writing team for the Comedy Central ones, who had all moved on to different projects and maybe even had less of a writers?

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

it was pretty jarring some of the the pop-culture references that made it into the newer seasons. they used to reference that stuff; but it felt more believable how they didso in the fox production

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A literal twitter episode

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

PicklePants posted:

If I recall correctly, they switched out a lot of the writing team for the Comedy Central ones, who had all moved on to different projects and maybe even had less of a writers?

This would make sense.

Milo and POTUS posted:

A literal twitter episode

Yea - the pop culture stuff is just insane in it. The gay marriage episode, the Obama one. Just really heavy handed like a kid would do. And their technology episodes almost feel like it's written by a boomer who doesn't understand it at all - even though in theory they're pretty techy people.

It's so strange.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I will say that for as much as the average quality of the episodes declined, The Prisoner of Benda and Murder on the Planet Express are two of my favorite episodes in the entire series.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I really liked the time travel stuff in The Late Philip J. Fry where they got stuck going further into the future. Cool sci-fi and nice emotional plot between Fry and Leela.

I also felt that the one episode where Fry wanted to see his mom again was even more tear-jerky than Jurassic Bark.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 18, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I really liked the time travel stuff in The Late Philip J. Fry where they got stuck going further into the future. Cool sci-fi and nice emotional plot between Fry and Leela.

I also felt that the one episode where Fry wanted to see his mom again was even more tear-jerky than Jurassic Bark.

There are plenty of good ones, but then they get pulled down by them totally loving not caring about Fry/Leela in other episodes.
It's really all over the place in a lot of ways.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The finale for Futurama was pretty great, especially how in the initial airing it looped right into an airing of the first episode

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

The parody of "In the year 2525" was also nice.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I don't follow a lot of what's going on in YOLO but I'm also not an Aussie so I think it may just be a cultural barrier. I'm pretty sure it's real drat good though.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I like Yolo just because there's something so appealing about just how UGLY everything is.

Same with things like Superjail, I'm so used to western animation and anime where everything has to be so clean and attractive looking, the grunginess is a nice change of pace.

But maybe I should just turn on my monitor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Warbird posted:

I don't follow a lot of what's going on in YOLO but I'm also not an Aussie so I think it may just be a cultural barrier. I'm pretty sure it's real drat good though.

it's literally just unaltered footage of australian life

But please ask questions, they are always really funny

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

it's literally just unaltered footage of australian life

But please ask questions, they are always really funny

Yeah nah I've been wondering how the guy who they tried to murder back in the pilot would come across to Yanks. I've straight up met guys like that all over.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I like Yolo just because there's something so appealing about just how UGLY everything is.

Same with things like Superjail, I'm so used to western animation and anime where everything has to be so clean and attractive looking, the grunginess is a nice change of pace.

But maybe I should just turn on my monitor.

Yeah or King Star King.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah nah I've been wondering how the guy who they tried to murder back in the pilot would come across to Yanks. I've straight up met guys like that all over.

The nerd? We have those here too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bring back Aqua Teen Hunger Force!