Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Schadenboner posted:

Got the FO4 GOTY for :20bux:-2, excited to check out Far Harbor. What are good mods?

Do you like bases? Do you wish there were more impressive prebuilt structures so you didn't have to agonize so much over bases? Do you want settlers to just build their own freakin' cities and leave you to worry about finding suppplies?

Sim Settlements will get you prebuilts with a variety of purposes in standard sizes, both houses and jobs to work. Sim Settlements: Industrial Revolution will add an entire tech tree of industrial jobs, if you wanted to build a coal pit to feed charcoal into a water filter, or construct a steel foundry to build better farm tools. Most of the peak buildings offer a unique mechanic or a little quest, or both - my personal favorite is the brewery that lets you cook up beer potions, which scatters recipes all throughout the game. Sim Settlements: Rise of the Commonwealth lets you setup a city planner's desk that lets you slot in a unique NPC to manage the settlement (like a companion) and then builds an entire city of Sim Settlement prebuilts and infrastructure, power, and water, which over enough game time (and donated scrap) will get more and more elaborate.

Sim Settlements also has a plugin-friendly mod framework so there's lots of player-designed houses and shops and jobs to grab. Some of the more notable ones are collected in the Year 1 and Year 2 mod megapacks.

There's also Sim Settlements: Conqueror if you want to set up some already-built settlements that you can take over, either as a raider or freeing them from raiders.

Settlers of the Commonwealth, All Settlements Extended, and Immersive Settlers all add to the settlement ambience, in addition to giving you more build space since Sim Settlements tends to use the whole alloted space.

Armorsmith Extended vastly increases the available variety of gear, even unlocking things like Gunner paint on combat armor that are possible but you can't make.

DEF_UI gives you a trade screen that doesn't suck, Valdacil's Item Sorting gives you friendly icons, and Full Dialogue Interface is what it says on the tin. (If you have F4SE going, instead Extended Dialogue is worth a look.)

Power Armor Airdrop and Power Armor Storage so I don't need my power armor and heavy weapons on me to use them for a particular fight.

Salvage Beacons so I can just dump all my desk fans and raider right legs into a mailbox and phone home for a pickup.

Tales From The Commonwealth for a bunch of little quests all over the map.

And the most important mod of all, Everyone's Best Friend, so Dogmeat can always tag along with you regardless of companions.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I tried to reproduce the bug because I have a bloody bashing gauss minigun but didn't even come close to dropping the SBQs health. I wonder how much lags plays into and maybe try to snipe a two shot minigun with one of those major effects to try that out.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
I love this game

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Let me ask a bit about the only good Fallout game: Fallout 2.

Where is the modding scene for it nowadays, I remember trying a cut content restoration mod at one point but the new parts were really obvious and they felt really badly made, also Vic's house getting booby trapped was a bad surprise. So what are the best mods nowadays to play Fallout 2 again.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
For some reason my magical weapon tends I work better on my character that isn’t speccd for heavy weapons. I think it’s just finicky too, sometimes they just work better or worse for seemingly no reason.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I like that doggo doesn't seem to be able to die in FO4. I was real :smith: when Dogmeat kept dying.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've seen advice for FO4 to rotate companions to make sure everyone gets relationship with you and I'm like no actually, the only one who matters is my best boy Dogmeat :3:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
iirc one cool thing about dogmeat in 4 is that having him with you doesn't turn off the lone wonderer perks

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

BattleMaster posted:

I've seen advice for FO4 to rotate companions to make sure everyone gets relationship with you and I'm like no actually, the only one who matters is my best boy Dogmeat :3:

And the most important mod of all, Everyone's Best Friend, so Dogmeat can always tag along with you regardless of companions.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I only used Dogmeat because:
A. Dogmeat doesn't give a drat what I do (ie lock picking, stealing, dialog choices, etc.).
B. Dogmeat is short so even if he does run right up to the enemy he doesn't get in the way. Same with jumping over him if needed.
C. Doggles!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just use the mod that makes it so there is no negative actions for companions. They'll still say their lines disliking something but no loss of relations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MH Knights posted:

C. Doggles!

:hmmyes:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Do we find out what happened to the Vault-Tec Salesguy?

:ohdear:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yup

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Imagine being a vault tec sales guy but you never change your clothes you wore when bombs dropped for over 200 years.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tenzarin posted:

Imagine being a vault tec sales guy but you never change your clothes you wore when bombs dropped for over 200 years.

They were very meticulous when they modeled him after Todd Howard, going so far as to portray his personal hygiene habits in addition to his appearance.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Schadenboner posted:

Do we find out what happened to the Vault-Tec Salesguy?

:ohdear:

He never does a drat job again in his life. :argh:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
lmao, though I'd give this a try on Game Pass PC and I couldn't get the piece of poo poo even to start: first the game informed me that I don't have a profile that allows for multiplayer games, and once that got sorted it refused to connect to game servers. The only way to fix it is to... move the game to the same drive as my Windows install. Amazing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Um I hope you have some fun but the last I heard the update this week broke two quests, one for the old main storyline and one for the raider storyline that make both impossible to complete at the moment.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Was it the blood sample change that broke main story or something else?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Tenzarin posted:

Um I hope you have some fun but the last I heard the update this week broke two quests, one for the old main storyline and one for the raider storyline that make both impossible to complete at the moment.

I decided to cut my losses, and uninstalled the game promptly.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Tenzarin posted:

I had to restart two quests in the the raider side of the Vault 79 questline on an alt this weekend. First time, last door in Grafton Underground wouldn't open, second time the drugs didn't work on my character in Watoga Civic Center, preventing you from accessing the room you need to be in to progress.

Serverhopping fixed both, but that resets progress to zero. :smithicide:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Tenzarin posted:

I'm glad I finished the main storyline a couple days before the patch dropped.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Has anyone got the beret from the donating yet? How do you get it?

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 10, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
He prob just gives it to everyone on tueday who shows up to talk to him.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

So basically barely anyone is handing anything in but the stats are showing that between 10k or so players hundreds of millions of materials are being handed in?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
One of my pvp friends posted this:

https://youtu.be/XDm1FC_n6xI

This game is loving stupid.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

i flunked out posted:

One of my pvp friends posted this:

https://youtu.be/XDm1FC_n6xI

This game is loving stupid.
I watched that video and then saw this Reddit post about a similar experience:

'"https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/i6hpka/i_feel_like_bethesda_is_trying_to_tell_me/" posted:

I was helping a newbie drop his first nuke and we managed to spawn the Wendigo Colossus. Things were going fine until someone used a telsa. My game froze and I died. I respawned and ran back down to the Grove and all the trees were saying chain

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this point.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Discospawn posted:

I watched that video and then saw this Reddit post about a similar experience:

Oh the chain gang is gonna get you!!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
150 million concrete scrap in 4 days. End of day 2? 4.85mil contributed. Won't be meeting this goal.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

What is the actual donation process in game? Can you donate as much material at once as you want, or do you have to donate it in set increments to get the gift bag?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I got a crafted Instigating 50% limb damage gauss minigun crafted with the penta barrel so it was doing over 200 rounds a second but I couldn't get the magic damage bug to work. Well if might have worked for less than a second but it was hardly noticable. I'm also out of ec2 ammo so I wont try it again for quite awhile.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 10, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Discospawn posted:

What is the actual donation process in game? Can you donate as much material at once as you want, or do you have to donate it in set increments to get the gift bag?
I went to check it out too, just to see how it works and the construction at ATLAS. There's a stash-looking box and you Use it and it asks if you're ok with donating 250 steel, Yes/No. So just one increment and the reward just goes into your inventory if I remember correctly (not in a bag, just loose items). I don't know how the community award works.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

CapnBry posted:

I went to check it out too, just to see how it works and the construction at ATLAS. There's a stash-looking box and you Use it and it asks if you're ok with donating 250 steel, Yes/No. So just one increment and the reward just goes into your inventory if I remember correctly (not in a bag, just loose items). I don't know how the community award works.
Thanks, I figured it was something like this because otherwise I would think hackers/exploiters/dupers/etc. would just donate millions of resources at once to instantly complete the events. Instead, there is an additional limiting factor of getting people to put in the man-hours to perform this interaction 600,000 times in 4 days (independent of the time it takes to legitimately farm the materials).

Destiny 2 recently had a similar 'community event' with similarly impractical goals and uninteresting rewards, and the developers ended up reducing the goal by an order of magnitude and making it easier to contribute (and as a finishing touch, the reward was bugged when the community completed the event).

It's the kind of oversight that's confusing because even when a game's technical aspects or gameplay features are broken, you assume there's somebody competent in the background looking at metrics and 'running the numbers' to justify every weird decision in terms of revenue. But if they're off by a factor of 10 for these kinds of goals that could be derived strictly from that kind of information, it's almost disappointing that this cynical perspective isn't true either and maybe it's just a poorly run project team without anybody capable of making good decisions.

On that note, I would wager the One Wasteland update will nullify all of the current builds by 'fixing' all the crazy damage-modifier interactions, so that Level 1 and Level 200 characters feel equally powerful. I also expect the Fallout Shelters (instanced CAMPS) to further break the building experience even more than the recent unannounced patch changes.

Edit: I underestimated how difficult it is to legitimately collect even the minimum donation amount of concrete & cork. I forgot about how world loot works, with guaranteed loot spawns being server-specific, meaning once somebody loots all the 'best' concrete supply spots on the map it is empty for everybody else for a period of time. There's X amount of pre-defined concrete spawns on the map, with Y cooldown time between respawns, and Z servers running on average at any time, and it seems like the result of that equation over 4 days is way less than the 150 million goal that was set. The cynical perspective would say that the event highlights why private servers can be useful in order to advertise Fallout 1st, but even Fallout 1st only changes the 'Z' part of the equation, and likely not enough to make the 150,000,000 goal sensible.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 10, 2020

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Discospawn posted:

On that note, I would wager the One Wasteland update will nullify all of the current builds by 'fixing' all the crazy damage-modifier interactions, so that Level 1 and Level 200 characters feel equally powerful.

Maybe this is why the shotgun enforcer perk was silently nerfed (not in the patch notes), no fun mechanics allowed!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Discospawn posted:

Thanks, I figured it was something like this because otherwise I would think hackers/exploiters/dupers/etc. would just donate millions of resources at once to instantly complete the events. Instead, there is an additional limiting factor of getting people to put in the man-hours to perform this interaction 600,000 times in 4 days (independent of the time it takes to legitimately farm the materials).

Destiny 2 recently had a similar 'community event' with similarly impractical goals and uninteresting rewards, and the developers ended up reducing the goal by an order of magnitude and making it easier to contribute (and as a finishing touch, the reward was bugged when the community completed the event).

It's the kind of oversight that's confusing because even when a game's technical aspects or gameplay features are broken, you assume there's somebody competent in the background looking at metrics and 'running the numbers' to justify every weird decision in terms of revenue. But if they're off by a factor of 10 for these kinds of goals that could be derived strictly from that kind of information, it's almost disappointing that this cynical perspective isn't true either and maybe it's just a poorly run project team without anybody capable of making good decisions.

On that note, I would wager the One Wasteland update will nullify all of the current builds by 'fixing' all the crazy damage-modifier interactions, so that Level 1 and Level 200 characters feel equally powerful. I also expect the Fallout Shelters (instanced CAMPS) to further break the building experience even more than the recent unannounced patch changes.

Edit: I underestimated how difficult it is to legitimately collect even the minimum donation amount of concrete & cork. I forgot about how world loot works, with guaranteed loot spawns being server-specific, meaning once somebody loots all the 'best' concrete supply spots on the map it is empty for everybody else for a period of time. There's X amount of pre-defined concrete spawns on the map, with Y cooldown time between respawns, and Z servers running on average at any time, and it seems like the result of that equation over 4 days is way less than the 150 million goal that was set. The cynical perspective would say that the event highlights why private servers can be useful in order to advertise Fallout 1st, but even Fallout 1st only changes the 'Z' part of the equation, and likely not enough to make the 150,000,000 goal sensible.

The pubbie fallout 76 discords are even melting down about these goals now. It is pretty good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Goddamn is the FO4 eating sound :vomarine:. Maybe it's just that I didn't play FO3/FNV with headphones as much?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Discospawn posted:

Hopefully it nerfs bloodied builds without applying the PVP damage cap as a 'gently caress it, doing it right is hardddddd let's just add this line and go to lunch.'

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
One Wasteland will probably:

• Redefine spawn min/max levels, to stop level 60 ghouls/scorched from spawning everywhere when a level 500+ player shows up first, but make Mire/Bog more challenging for new characters.
  • Curve the damage calculation to add diminishing returns at extreme levels of attack power, nerfing bloodied/rad/serum stacking.
  • Give cryptids/huge creatures damage reduction ala Scorchbeast Queen or Wendigo Colossus, to make them a bigger deal.
  • Add more DR piercing effects like what Major Gutsy has to a wider range of high level mobs, to simultaneously increase risk/reward for bloody builds and allow for DR creep on new armor sets/mods.

Varance fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
There's been rumors that they're nerfing bloody builds since literally the beginning of the game...