Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Play on harder difficulties.

Edit: Ok so lovely snipe. The harder the difficulty the more loot you get. When you are 70 you should be able to play at least on T1 with just yellows. But with the LoD gem, you can wear basically whatever garbo legendaries you want and they will stack on each other.

To get started you can literally build everything over a single legendary that gives you whatever effect you want and have trash legendaries in other slots until you start getting the needed pieces as you scale up the difficulty.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Yes, play a higher difficulty, but you also want to play what you can do fast. Generally it's whatever level torment/GR you can clear a rift in less than 3 minutes.

But specifically to your question on how you get ancients, you can help that by targeting the stuff you need. Spend blood shards on armor, use upgrades for weapons, and the best way is to use the cube recipe to re-roll legendary items.

Essentially you just need to spend more time playing the game

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've been speed clearing 85-90s and pushed up to 105 (beyond that I'm either dying too much or not able to keep up with the timer so far), so that's not the issue for me. I guess I just need to keep on grinding. Fortunately, that's kind of the point of the game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

They also just play a LOT, and given enough iterations the probability of anything that is not a 0% chance approaches 100%.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
I usually build LOD characters as alts. Last season I put together LOD hydra wiz and mage necro from drops on my WD and gambling/upgrading the rest of the pieces as necessary with mats/shards from WD and WW barb farming. I'm currently working on LOD mage and scythe builds for necro with shards/mats from playing zbarb and GOD dh.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
If you are using the gem instead of the rings then you also don't need ancient, it just gives a larger bonus. It's actually great you can slap together any absolute garbage and do OK with it now.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Aranan posted:

How do people actually get enough ancient items to make these LoD builds work? I'm lucky if I see a handful of ancients and they're usually pretty bad.

It's my first season, but I'm up to Paragon 1181 with my GoD DH. 11 of my 13 gear pieces is ancient right now (one is primal ancient). I can run Greater Rift Level 95 in about 3-5 minutes and T16 Nephalam Rifts in 2-3 minutes with my does farming build. I think I see about 1-3 ancients every rift so it's really just about running as many rifts as you can as fast as you can. And don't worry, I've only gotten that far cause I'm nerd with no life that probably plays more than I should.

If you haven't soloed a Level 70 Greater Rift, that's probably your next goal. Farming for ancient versions of your gear and then augmenting it,seems like a goal a little farther down the line for you.

Edit: Beaten very badly, check the next page first.

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 9, 2020

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I still feel the primal drop rate is too low.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Dameius posted:

Game doesn't feel like it is going too fast until you get to around ~400-450+% movespeed for me. Also feast upon my Shaolin warrior monk.

The best quality of life/speed run improvement I've done this season is enchanting not attack or speed anything, but +6 gold/health pickup radius so I can actually pick up Greater Rift orbs instead of running circles around them without ever picking them up. :shepicide:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Jan posted:

The best quality of life/speed run improvement I've done this season is enchanting not attack or speed anything, but +6 gold/health pickup radius so I can actually pick up Greater Rift orbs instead of running circles around them without ever picking them up. :shepicide:

+yard pick up is a required secondary stat on many higher end GR push or support builds. Like when you start pushing 120s you kinda want it and by the time you get to 130ish you absolutely need it, particularly on the zmonk it is critical since you shouldn't be moving your pad of life very often (cause you're making your RGK specifically and anyone else relying on you to live move with you. )

It also syncs well with alot of the +life %, vitality stacking and +health from globes you want to be optimizing for as you push higher

Theres a variant of the standard zbuild that uses braces of glory or someshit to pop grey globes that makes use of the + area pick up as well I have been asked to build out but :effort:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Have you ever run avarice band and thing of the deep?

You will pick us things you never even see

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Waroduce posted:

+yard pick up is a required secondary stat on many higher end GR push or support builds. Like when you start pushing 120s you kinda want it and by the time you get to 130ish you absolutely need it, particularly on the zmonk it is critical since you shouldn't be moving your pad of life very often (cause you're making your RGK specifically and anyone else relying on you to live move with you. )

It also syncs well with alot of the +life %, vitality stacking and +health from globes you want to be optimizing for as you push higher

Theres a variant of the standard zbuild that uses braces of glory or someshit to pop grey globes that makes use of the + area pick up as well I have been asked to build out but :effort:

Radius on zmonk is a "nice to have if you can get it" stat at best. It's significantly less valuable than CDR (maximum rolls necessary for permanent epiphany), globe bonus (since your shield abilities scale with it), IAS, RCR and all res. Running a non-WD trash clearer in your group makes radius even less valuable since WD damage is dependent on keeping Gruesome Feast stacks but none of the other trash clear/RGKs actually have any globe synergies, and even in WD groups the barb should be able to handle stacking GF before the Phantasms get set down since the barb generates most of the globes and should have radius on the items their meta set shares with their rat/GOD group set.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Is there any good reason why there couldn't be a couple of current stat stick items that exist purely to roll nearly complete random (maybe limited to a player's chosen class) affixes to open up at least 1 genuinely RNG factor for builds.

I don't mind where the game is, but it'd be nice if there were potentially RNG unique twists on meta builds so that seasons could at least feel slightly unique from one another even when the theme is pretty lame.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I always thought it would be cool to have custom-made items limited to a specific slot that are like "whenever you use [selected skill] it does [a bazillion more damage]" scaled to the base damage of that ability so that you could have more user-defined builds.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Why can't they do this poo poo at Season Start?

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1292870549287448578

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I always thought it would be cool to have custom-made items limited to a specific slot that are like "whenever you use [selected skill] it does [a bazillion more damage]" scaled to the base damage of that ability so that you could have more user-defined builds.

Isn't that what Kenai's Cube is basically for?

On a separate note, I'm up to Paragon 1205 and I started messing around with other build options on my GoD DH now that I've got Level 100 augmented ancient gear for every slot minus non ancient chest and annulate, and non-augmentrd weapons. I ended up swapping my Squirts/Fortress Ballista for Flavor of Time/Vallas which lowered my sheet damage from 2.8M to 2.2M, my crit from 60/550 to 55/450, but upped my area damage from 50 to 90. I'm dying occasionally now, but I'm also procing more Hungering Arrows so it seems worth it as I clear trash much better (I mostly focus on group play).

Have other folks also made the switch from Fortress to Vallas? Did you find it more effective?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

(ignore me, I can't read)

Aaod
May 29, 2004
From what I can tell the bounty bonus doesn't apply to non seasonal either.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

McLarenF1 posted:

Isn't that what Kenai's Cube is basically for?

On a separate note, I'm up to Paragon 1205 and I started messing around with other build options on my GoD DH now that I've got Level 100 augmented ancient gear for every slot minus non ancient chest and annulate, and non-augmentrd weapons. I ended up swapping my Squirts/Fortress Ballista for Flavor of Time/Vallas which lowered my sheet damage from 2.8M to 2.2M, my crit from 60/550 to 55/450, but upped my area damage from 50 to 90. I'm dying occasionally now, but I'm also procing more Hungering Arrows so it seems worth it as I clear trash much better (I mostly focus on group play).

Have other folks also made the switch from Fortress to Vallas? Did you find it more effective?

Top solo leaderboards are all Valla's I believe.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kheldarn posted:

Why can't they do this poo poo at Season Start?

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1292870549287448578

The progression is already too fast as is, totally not needed at the start. I don't like Haedrig's either for the same reason. But yeah it isn't enough incentive to come back after I was done with the season because bounties are lame and rerolling gear is only really needed when you're really poop socking.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Radius on zmonk is a "nice to have if you can get it" stat at best. It's significantly less valuable than CDR (maximum rolls necessary for permanent epiphany), globe bonus (since your shield abilities scale with it), IAS, RCR and all res. Running a non-WD trash clearer in your group makes radius even less valuable since WD damage is dependent on keeping Gruesome Feast stacks but none of the other trash clear/RGKs actually have any globe synergies, and even in WD groups the barb should be able to handle stacking GF before the Phantasms get set down since the barb generates most of the globes and should have radius on the items their meta set shares with their rat/GOD group set.

Oh pushing with WD is def a thing that requires its own build that i know dick all about. I also dont rat and I dont push with any WDs so i dont know anything apart from there being some mechanic i dont know about.

My core push grp is 2x dh and 1x barb and my zmonk with an ocassioanl guest star wizard or crusader. We've done a 4man 135 in about like 10ish mins just haven't bothered to bump it up recently.

I think we are talking past each other a bit and saying more or less the same thing. If youve got pieces with the right stat distribution (hopefully on the high end of everything) including ancients, CDR and good rolls across the board, + radius and +health globes are your next optimization step and make a huge difference in push. The monk should be grabbing globes to tske advantage of the +health globes on his poo poo in general

Obv caveats exist and you take/optimize differently depending on group comp.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Suburban Dad posted:

The progression is already too fast as is

:wrong:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The progression once you hit 70 is my favorite part of every season. With the gift and now LOD gem it went from being pretty quick to gear anyway to exponential. Usually takes me about 24h of seasonal play to burn out and hit that diminishing returns part that makes me stop.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

McLarenF1 posted:

Valla's/Flavor vs Fortress/Squirt's in groups comes down to two things: your strafe breakpoint and how well you can keep up the Squirt's buff. If you're only p1200 you'll probably have issues keeping up Squirt's even with the shield, and if you're in the breakpoint dead zone between 1.66 and 2.15aps too you'll definitely get better results from Valla's/Flavor. Eventually it gets a lot easier to keep squirt's stacked as you add more para dex and improve your gear, and 2.15aps will cut down on the gap between procs significantly if you're not using Valla's or Rocket Storm for additional hits. Most of the group setups will lean toward Fortress/Squirt's in the long run because the Squirt's buff ends up being more valuable than the extra procs and double pylons in short runs.

Waroduce posted:

I think we are talking past each other a bit and saying more or less the same thing. If youve got pieces with the right stat distribution (hopefully on the high end of everything) including ancients, CDR and good rolls across the board, + radius and +health globes are your next optimization step and make a huge difference in push. The monk should be grabbing globes to tske advantage of the +health globes on his poo poo in general

Nah, we're not talking past each other here. Globe bonus isn't the roll you add after you get all the IAS/CDR/RCR and toughness stats on ancients. It's about as important to a zmonk as crit stats are to a DPS character, just tucked away in the secondaries- not because it scales the healing from globes, but because every buff you bring to a group that the group can't get from other support classes scales directly with it, and as a result a non-ancient item with globes is much, much better than even a primal with the same primary affixes without globes.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Nah, we're not talking past each other here. Globe bonus isn't the roll you add after you get all the IAS/CDR/RCR and toughness stats on ancients. It's about as important to a zmonk as crit stats are to a DPS character, just tucked away in the secondaries- not because it scales the healing from globes, but because every buff you bring to a group that the group can't get from other support classes scales directly with it, and as a result a non-ancient item with globes is much, much better than even a primal with the same primary affixes without globes.

Oh interesting I have some non ancients I was wearing and I swapped out. My normal gear has more globe than my current ancient set up. Are you saying it's better to stack the plus globe than wearing an ancient thats does not have the ideal stat distribution?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Yeah, the holy trinity of zmonk stats is CDR (all perfect rolls is the #1 requirement), then IAS and globe bonus on about the same level. The only one of those stats that actually scales up with getting an ancient? Globes. Getting to 200k+ globes is a massive deal- at 200k the Mantra shield is about 50% more effective and that skill in and of itself is most of the reason a non-WD group wants a zmonk. Getting ancients just makes it easier to stack toughness so you survive, adding globes makes it easier to keep everyone else alive.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
For any z build on any class regular gear with all the proper affixes will always trump any other quality that lacks a needed affix. Depending on which z build you are doing, certain affixes are so important that their presence will trump literally everything else.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It's been a while since I rolled Barbarian, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Seismic Slam build! I really feel like a hulking badass playing it now.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
RIP my HC DH. Was rolling and killing like a boss, then i got greedy and went to T13 and started rolling and killing like a boss there too, until Rockmaw one-shot me. From the season I still have the conquests to do to complete it (did everything else i think). What class should I roll? Could go SC, but then I'd be missing the resources (not insignificant) I have accumulated. Or could continue HC with some class to make use of them just to finish the season.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They should have as a mid season bumper Greater Rift Goblins. Basically like the other goblins, sacks of HP you have a time limit to DPS down, but instead of giving you loot they drop like 8 or 10 progress orbs.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Dameius posted:

They should have as a mid season bumper Greater Rift Goblins. Basically like the other goblins, sacks of HP you have a time limit to DPS down, but instead of giving you loot they drop like 8 or 10 progress orbs.

No thanks, GR pushing doesn't need even more RNG factors than it already has.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
That wouldn't really matter with pushing levels. You would not be able to burn a goblin down before it escaped unless you managed to keep it in the direct middle of a big density pack.

Speed GRs on the other hand would get a huge boost.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Make pets auto-loot Rift Orbs. And Crafting Materials.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Make pets auto-loot Rift Orbs. And Crafting Materials.

Then numlock all my skills and I can watch the game play itself!

I think the problem is more in the itemization in that anything not legendary is trash unless you're <70. You're only picking stuff up to throw it away later and it feels like more of a slog since nobody actually looks at the trash drops. I admit to playing some D2 recently (before rage quitting in Hell :v:) and it was nice seeing things slowed down a bit (played on slashdiablo so it's like players 8 drops when solo so it rains down a ton of stuff, but most is still trash...still more chances for blue/yellow/sets/uniques though vs vanilla D2) and being interested to see how lovely some yellow belt or gloves would be.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 13, 2020

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Then numlock all my skills and I can watch the game play itself!

I think the problem is more in the itemization in that anything not legendary is trash unless you're <70. You're only picking stuff up to throw it away later and it feels like more of a slog since nobody actually looks at the trash drops.

That's called watching your bot farm.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dameius posted:

That's called watching your bot farm.

Exactly, I don't get why people want to streamline a game that is already so loving streamlined anyway.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
ARPGs are extremely click heavy and quality of life improvements that can reduce repetitive stress I'm fine with. Specially considering with how streamlined this game is. Let the pets pick everything up, who cares.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah I don't get why you can automatically pick up Blood Shards (which have limited inventory space) while it doesn't automatically pick up crafting materials (which don't). It's just annoying.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Make it a toggle for people who don't want it. Boom problem solved. I don't think "click item on ground" is an engaging and necessary mechanic, but I'm down to compromise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
But what if I don't want to pick up boring white items?

jk that poo poo is more important than Death's Breaths and I'll slow down rift speedruns to pick up greys/whites. :negative: