Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

jabro posted:

Yes but only if you’re a complete dick. Just because you can give your opinion doesn’t mean you should.

So - why are you being a complete dick giving your lovely opinion about me being a dick?

Buying crowns in ESO is a stupid thing to do. If telling goons to not be stupid makes me a dick, fine I'm a dick.

Every item worth buying in the crown store can be had with the crows you get for eso plus. Everything else is either poo poo, overpriced, or in crates that lean heavily towards blue trash tier drops.

No sane person should defend crown purchases except with in game gold. Buying crowns with cash is dumb.

I've made every effort I can to help new goons in ESO - and that includes telling them not to squander their money. Deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Counterpoint to the incredibly dumb as gently caress take that buying crowns is never a good idea is that you can buy things like the quaterly DLC (or previous year expacs) when they go on sale so you can avoid paying Zenimax $15 dollars a month to fuel Brian Wheeler's sex pest addiction.

Summerset was 1750 crowns last week, for example. I cashed out my crowns long ago on such things so on the occasion I feel like firing up the ye olde Tamriel playground, I can. Not everyone is subbed.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

DoriDori240 posted:

Counterpoint to the incredibly dumb as gently caress take that buying crowns is never a good idea is that you can buy things like the quaterly DLC (or previous year expacs) when they go on sale so you can avoid paying Zenimax $15 dollars a month to fuel Brian Wheeler's sex pest addiction.

Summerset was 1750 crowns last week, for example. I cashed out my crowns long ago on such things so on the occasion I feel like firing up the ye olde Tamriel playground, I can. Not everyone is subbed.

By crowns with gold.

Even at the bad rate of 200g per crown - that's 350k.

Buying crowns with cash is a dumb thing to do.

Edit: There's only a handful of 'useful' things that can't be gifted - but really the crowns to gold rate is hilariously low because subscribers sell their crowns regularly - so buy them for gold for everything that can be gifted.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 8, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So you could have said “just so you know, nearly everything on the crown store can be gifted, so you can buy this stuff from someone using gold instead of paying cash” rather than calling anyone who dares consider spending cash an idiot.

Also don’t assume everyone is sitting on mountains of gold. I have maybe 400k across all my characters and I’m not going to spend all my gaming time farming and grinding for gold when I could just drop :10bux: if there’s something I really want. My time is valuable too.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

Also don’t assume everyone is sitting on mountains of gold. I have maybe 400k across all my characters and I’m not going to spend all my gaming time farming and grinding for gold when I could just drop if there’s something I really want. My time is valuable too.

You're on console right?

Also I have no idea what console crown to gold rate is which I imagine is vastly better - so your 400k may go pretty drat far in crowns.

PC gold tends to be worth about 1/4th of what console gold is....so that 400k may in fact be a mountain.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

FileNotFound posted:

I'm not going to help a goon do something that I think is loving idiotic.

If they're planning to spend it on crown crates because the drop rate for them is poo poo:

https://www.crowncrates.com/

I absolutely do not recommend spending a penny on crowns in ESO. Get Crowns with ESO Plus sub - but not a penny more.

Wow looking at this list I can't believe how lucky I got with the 'free' crates they gave me. I got a 0.81% mount and a 5.9% emote thing. Before looking at this I just thought this game was pretty generous with their crates and must give out mounts pretty frequently.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

insider posted:

Wow looking at this list I can't believe how lucky I got with the 'free' crates they gave me. I got a 0.81% mount and a 5.9% emote thing. Before looking at this I just thought this game was pretty generous with their crates and must give out mounts pretty frequently.
Yeah, I got 2 or 3 apex mounts from free crown crates - to the point where I was starting to wonder if the free crates had better drop rates to try to sucker people into buying more. But then they stopped giving away free crates, so it can't be that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

g0del posted:

Yeah, I got 2 or 3 apex mounts from free crown crates - to the point where I was starting to wonder if the free crates had better drop rates to try to sucker people into buying more. But then they stopped giving away free crates, so it can't be that.
They give out free crates with twitch drops like once a month. Everything I've gotten from them has been garbage, though. Potions and poisons, one xp scroll and one crown mimic stone. Last time I got a bonus card, and it had a soul gem. Definitely not encouraging me to buy crates.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They give out free crates with twitch drops like once a month. Everything I've gotten from them has been garbage, though. Potions and poisons, one xp scroll and one crown mimic stone. Last time I got a bonus card, and it had a soul gem. Definitely not encouraging me to buy crates.

The twitch crates only contain garbage, essentially. They're not the same as crown crates. Which are also pretty garbage, but at least have a chance to give you cosmetics.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

As oceanbound pointed out, twitch crates are always garbage. For awhile the daily rewards would sometimes include actual crown crates, and I was somehow unbelievably lucky with the giveaway ones. I actually blew some of my ESO+ crowns on crates once and didn't get anything good from them. For me, free crown crates were great and paid crown crates weren't, but that's almost definitely just RNG being RNG.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are goons done with this game? I wanted to come back but if the guild is dead then I don't feel like it.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Goons arent gone, but the guild is relatively quiet outside of events or new content (during my euro-times at least). Post your @ and you'll get an invite, and then just join some raid/pvp/housing guilds if that's your fancy.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Okay cool. It’s @Riyott and if any goons that aren’t playing but still lurking this thread can I have your stuff?

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

I'm looking for an invite to whatever the current NA guild is. @Slothrop

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
FileNotFound has been a cool rear end mother fucker hooking me up with training gear. I'm about to be 50 on my first character so I decided for 50 I'd ask my buddy who is like CP749 if he'd be down to craft me training gear. when I asked for the same named set I've been using my buddy lectured me for a good while on the cost of materials and earning your poo poo... he did it, but I won't be doing that again.

... moral of the story, play with goons.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Winkle-Daddy posted:

FileNotFound has been a cool rear end mother fucker hooking me up with training gear. I'm about to be 50 on my first character so I decided for 50 I'd ask my buddy who is like CP749 if he'd be down to craft me training gear. when I asked for the same named set I've been using my buddy lectured me for a good while on the cost of materials and earning your poo poo... he did it, but I won't be doing that again.

It's even funnier because named sets don't cost any extra.

And the costs are basically zero outside of tempers/tier mats anyway.

I think the moral of the story is you're buddy is a bit of a dick, or socially disabled in some way.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
In his defense, his issue was that I was asking for purple gear because I'm dumb and figured named sets are the quality they are. he wanted to give green or blue. maybe I'm the dick? :ohdear:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Winkle-Daddy posted:

In his defense, his issue was that I was asking for purple gear because I'm dumb and figured named sets are the quality they are. he wanted to give green or blue. maybe I'm the dick? :ohdear:

Yeah dunno purple can be a bit expensive, I usually use purple for my low-level alts but I might make a blue set for someone. I'm kinda poor though.

Green is a bit insulting.

e: It's very roughly about a dollar in costs for a complete purple set? YMMV

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 16, 2020

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Your friend is a loving idiot, purple mats are easy to come across for everything except jewel-crafting. Then again there's thousands of purple tempers in my account that will never see the light of day again so who knows.

Also lol @ flooby's comment to the templar haters. Anyone who thinks templars are OP should reassess their playstyle tbh. Or just stack HP + procsets because apparently that's the meta ZOS wants to push forever now.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Private Speech posted:

It's even funnier because named sets don't cost any extra.

And the costs are basically zero outside of tempers/tier mats anyway.

I think the moral of the story is you're buddy is a bit of a dick, or socially disabled in some way.

Yup - the average cost of a full purple set is 15k - which is absolutely not noticeable for anyone who does any sort of trading.

Named sets are zero effort to make because anyone who does crafting is in some sort of guild that has all the crafting tables.

Lazy Set crafter makes the whole thing trivial to craft.

The only sad thing about all the crafting is how few people stuck around - most people I crafted gear for never made it to 50....game isn't everyone's cup of tea unfortunately. Not saying I mind or expect people to stick around - just something I noticed.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FileNotFound posted:

The only sad thing about all the crafting is how few people stuck around - most people I crafted gear for never made it to 50....game isn't everyone's cup of tea unfortunately. Not saying I mind or expect people to stick around - just something I noticed.

Why do you think that is? I see the same thing and mildly surprised by it. Most people I talk to go in expecting Skyrim but with other people around and they basically get that. They never make it to the part of the game where the major faults everyone has with it lie.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It takes several hundred hours to get to that point, to be fair. I would say it's roughly CP300 where things start to get a bit meh, but if you don't mind doing story content you can easily last until 500 or so without repeating or being a completionist.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

jabro posted:

Why do you think that is? I see the same thing and mildly surprised by it. Most people I talk to go in expecting Skyrim but with other people around and they basically get that. They never make it to the part of the game where the major faults everyone has with it lie.

Lots of reasons, some people I think are immediately turned off by the playstyle limitations when I have to explain builds to them - as in no you don't want to be a 2h and duel wield using magika build. If you want melee weapons you go stamina - and all stamina builds play very similar. Most builds regardless of class are the same once you establish sta/mag.

None of the ESO classes feel special in any way at all nor do they fit the traditional mold of what people coming from other MMOs and RPGs expect to play.

You can't be a paladin. You can't be a ranger. You can't be a real necro (all necro pets are lovely timers - they may as well just be dots).

All the playstyles are highly diluted and samey - bow, dual wield, 2h, whatever - it all plays pretty much the same and all build rely heavily on non class abilities.

Then there is the combat and weaving and the general floaty feel of it all and worse yet the general playstyle is basically keeping up a set of buffs and debuffs on short timers for pretty much every build - honestly it feels like every single drat class in ESO is like trying to play a Bard in Everquest. ESO has the most chaotic and least engaging combat system of any MMO I've ever played.

Finally all the challenging content is locked away behind Vet dungeons and all the early level dungeons are just poo poo. Banished Cells is hardly the dungeon that will make people say "More of this please!" yet it's what people tend to get as their first intro to ESO dungeons - they get in a pug that literally runs through it - the whole thing is just a chore to collect your daily rewards.

Maybe it's none of these things - but that's my guess. I know for a fact that one guy quit because he was hoping for an actual pet class but nothing really comes close and pet control in ESO is absolutely the worst in any MMOs.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I pop in when an expansion drops and stick around for a month or three, usually.

For me, the class similarity and headless chicken approach to balancing is probably why I don't stick around more.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

That's interesting because ESO feels like the best MMO I've played as a casual player.

It's way more engaging than the GCD/endless bars in games like SWTOR and WoW, which are the dull as all gently caress to play. I do prefer GW2's combat (just a few more active buttons), but that game shits the bed on group content and endgame, to the point that every time I go back to it I just run out of stuff to do within a couple of weeks. Weaving is dumb but it doesn't seem particularly difficult, it took all of a week or two to go from first reading about it to commiting it to muscle memory. It is floaty but that's MMOs.

I agree the class variety isn't all that interesting but I'm still enjoying my magsorc at CP190 so I'm not particularly worried that a switch to whatever else won't be super thrilling.

I do agree some of the base dungeons are a bit dull, and could possibly do with an overhaul, either to add some mechanics to the part 1 dungeons or just unlock the easier part 2/dlc dungeons a bit earlier.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Oh yeah speaking of which, my first character is CP 160 now. What website will tell me what purples to buy/make so I'm not bad at this game.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

mrmcd posted:

Oh yeah speaking of which, my first character is CP 160 now. What website will tell me what purples to buy/make so I'm not bad at this game.

alcasthq.com is the one most people use.

There's others but they are a mixed bag at best.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
I got to CP ~200 and realized I wasn't enjoying it anymore and nothing at the end game really interested me to keep moving further. I definitely feel like i got my money's worth from the $20 base fee + 2 months of ESO Plus so I don't really regret it, I just don't have a desire to keep playing. FileNotFound really hit all the main points.

The combat honestly got exhausting to me. I was playing Magplar and just felt like I was juggling 6-8 10 second buffs to be effective. Like FileNotFound said the combat was just too chaotic to me. I found it difficult to know when a big enemy was attacking or not (outside of the red area abilities) which frustrated me. I had the same issue with GW2 though so maybe its just me but with how many colors and exploding effects go on in these MMOs I lose focus and can barely tell what is happening. The PvP was way too floaty and again I couldn't tell what was hitting me me so I would melt in 1 second from full to nothing.

I never understood the fashion aspect or even how to start looking cool. It is much easier in basically any other MMO.

Finally it seemed to me that end game was just endlessly running dungeons to get sets to run more dungeons, but after getting one set and monster set I just didn't care to do more. I didn't find the dungeons particularly fun and they swung wildly from insanely easy to 'holy poo poo we've wiped 5+ times'. I also hate people running through dungeons at mach 10 when I want to at least skim the questline for any story.

The quests were the best part by far especially the more recent zones. I thought there were some generally cool moments. I was also surprised how good the game looked at certain moments but that was also very uneven.

So goodbye ESO. Here are some of my favorite screenshots:

Best Zone Questline
https://i.imgur.com/I2uZxYi.jpg

First Dragon
https://i.imgur.com/vSrAN2R.jpg

Just a pretty shot
https://i.imgur.com/US2PnbM.jpg

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Yeah, I like the game enough to have played it since launch, but then the only MMOs I'd played up to that point we're Ultima Online and SWG. Lot of truth telling going on above me. It ain't a great game. If it weren't for me being so into the IP and being a lore nerd, I never would have started playing.

My friend just got into it and I have crafted him some stuff, but he's like "I want a sword and shield because I'm a knight but maybe a staff on the back at so I can heal" and I can't help but think... This isn't an actual Elder Scrolls type game :(

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

insider posted:

I got to CP ~200 and realized I wasn't enjoying it anymore and nothing at the end game really interested me to keep moving further. I definitely feel like i got my money's worth from the $20 base fee + 2 months of ESO Plus so I don't really regret it, I just don't have a desire to keep playing. FileNotFound really hit all the main points.

The combat honestly got exhausting to me. I was playing Magplar and just felt like I was juggling 6-8 10 second buffs to be effective. Like FileNotFound said the combat was just too chaotic to me. I found it difficult to know when a big enemy was attacking or not (outside of the red area abilities) which frustrated me. I had the same issue with GW2 though so maybe its just me but with how many colors and exploding effects go on in these MMOs I lose focus and can barely tell what is happening. The PvP was way too floaty and again I couldn't tell what was hitting me me so I would melt in 1 second from full to nothing.

I never understood the fashion aspect or even how to start looking cool. It is much easier in basically any other MMO.

Finally it seemed to me that end game was just endlessly running dungeons to get sets to run more dungeons, but after getting one set and monster set I just didn't care to do more. I didn't find the dungeons particularly fun and they swung wildly from insanely easy to 'holy poo poo we've wiped 5+ times'. I also hate people running through dungeons at mach 10 when I want to at least skim the questline for any story.

The quests were the best part by far especially the more recent zones. I thought there were some generally cool moments. I was also surprised how good the game looked at certain moments but that was also very uneven.

So goodbye ESO. Here are some of my favorite screenshots:

Best Zone Questline
https://i.imgur.com/I2uZxYi.jpg

First Dragon
https://i.imgur.com/vSrAN2R.jpg

Just a pretty shot
https://i.imgur.com/US2PnbM.jpg

I agree with Filenotfound's assessment, kinda in the same boat here. I forgot what CP level im at, but I just stopped caring.

I already didn't like the combat, it was trying to be Skyrim, but it wasn't, and I already didn't like skyrim's combat to begin with. I got to the point where i was just doing daily dungeons and not having fun at all.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Overemotional Robot posted:

My friend just got into it and I have crafted him some stuff, but he's like "I want a sword and shield because I'm a knight but maybe a staff on the back at so I can heal" and I can't help but think... This isn't an actual Elder Scrolls type game :(

I feel like that too, but IMO it'd be quite difficult to make a balanced game with long-term progression, varied classes and classic elder scrolls combat.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Oh yeah, I get it. Just sucks seeing new players come in and leave when they realize it's just an mmo with an Elder Scrolls coating.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I mean once you reach CP 160 and have good gear is there anything to do except enjoy the Elder Scrolls coating? A slightly more gold colored sword, fashion, and checking off all the hard mode dungeons? All the story quests seems soloable for the most part if you're halfway competent.

I'm bummed there's not an actual ES game on the docket but it'll scratch the itch for a while I guess.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

I feel like that too, but IMO it'd be quite difficult to make a balanced game with long-term progression, varied classes and classic elder scrolls combat.
It's not like single-player elder scrolls is known for it's well-balanced combat or progression. You generally start out weak and end up super strong, unless you're playing one of the earlier games and keep leveling up the wrong skill lines, in which case you'll start weak and get weaker. Or, you find a glitch with alchemy or something and end up god-like at level 5.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Well the only RL friend I had who was still playing ESO quit - so I'm probably off because I hate playing with just pubbies - but if goons still want gear made - PM me here - cause I'm not logging in daily anymore so in game mail is pointless.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Eso does have the best housing in the business, which keeps me playing. Or at least installed.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 20, 2020

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Eso does have the best housing in the business, which keeps me playing. Or at least installed.

And we will soon be able to have our pets, mounts, and servants wander around. And probably glitch out and end up under the house or on the roof.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

MH Knights posted:

And we will soon be able to have our pets, mounts, and servants wander around. And probably glitch out and end up under the house or on the roof.

Wonder how this will impact all the Dwarven spiders I have on the ceiling of one house.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Wonder how this will impact all the Dwarven spiders I have on the ceiling of one house.

Set up their pathing so it looks like they're swarming up there.

E: invite an arachnophobe to check out your "sweet house".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Berke Negri posted:

probably time to change the guild leadership

Thoughts on this Scy? The guild is pretty much a stepping stone guild anyway, but it's still a nice stepping stone. At the very least promote some people to something somewhat officery so some maintenance can be done. Or log in and remove all the pending invites and update the guild motd ;-*