Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

quote:

Rocket Lake is a codename for Intel’s desktop x86 chip family which is rumored[according to whom?] to be released at the end of 2020 or beginning of 2021. It is based on the new Willow Cove microarchitecture backported to the older 14nm semiconductor device fabrication.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_CPU_microarchitectures

Gawd this poo poo's confusing. I thought Ice Lake was the Microarchitecture, but turns out it's the chip and the Microarchitecture is Sunny Cove.

And Willow Cove is the next generation after Sunny, but they're not all 10nm, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Have there been any good business write-ups about Intel falling apart? Something more focused on the whys rather than the technical details.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gabriel S. posted:

It looks like though that it's just that we'll see Tiger Lake (Mobile) and Rocket Lake (Desktop) not until later in 2021. Or maybe just a paper launch.

Rocket Lake is supposedly end of the year/start of next year. Who knows with covid but so far they haven’t said anything about delays, and if so I’d expect “delays” to be like Q2 2021 and not like “end of 2021/early 2022”.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

To really take advantage of non-volatile main memory, you need the OS you're using to be modified (it doesn't need to be FreeBSD, but it helps).
Too bad the write endurance of NVDIMMs is still many orders of magnitude lower than traditional SDRAM.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

shrike82 posted:

Have there been any good business write-ups about Intel falling apart? Something more focused on the whys rather than the technical details.

BK was a big fat bullshitter

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

BK was a big fat bullshitter

A common symptom of never taking sabbatical.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

A common symptom of never taking sabbatical.

You can get those cashed out if you leave, so BK luckily got an extra few weeks of CEO pay when he got fired. Perhaps that was his plan when he started dipping pen in the company ink

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm wondering if those leaked bring-up guides and other operational docs are going to end up being real useful for Chinese chip efforts.

A lot of times it's not the lack of tools that makes things inferior products, but know-how and how to really maximize using the tools.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's not really an intellectually honest video, they're setting up a pre-determined conclusion by using a workstation for consumer workloads, and unsurprisingly it ends up being a horrible value proposition. And it's trendy to dunk on Apple (which is justified, their PC hardware sucks) but in this specific case you could substitute any other OEM and end up with an equally bad result - like DrDork says, populating 1.5TB on a Dell is $25k just for the memory alone, depending on the CPU you end around $50k just like with the Mac Pro, and taking that Dell and putting 96GB on it would be a horrible waste of money too.

The Mac Pro is still a bad deal but it's like "$50k for a machine you can get for $45k elsewhere" level bad, or "$11k for a machine that would cost me $9k elsewhere" level bad, not "$11k mac dunked on by $2k pc". People are just making clickbait videos to cash in on apple hate, the machines they're building aren't comparable, the tasks they're doing are just limited enough not to show the difference.

Did you...actually watch the video?

It's not dunking on Apple at all - the opposite. It's showing that running a single 12-core Xeon is very competitive in similar editing tasks to a 64-core Threadripper PC, largely because Apple's own software is so much more efficient on their platform.

I mean this isn't even a case where it's a bait and switch - the title "I'M SHOCKED!" should give you an indication of where it's going, it would absolutely not be shocking for a 64 core PC to beat a 12 core Mac.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 9, 2020

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
nm

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 9, 2020

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

It's not dunking on Apple at all - the opposite. It's showing that running a single 12-core Xeon is very competitive in similar editing tasks to a 64-core Threadripper PC, largely because Apple's own software is so much more efficient on their platform.

I mean this isn't even a case where it's a bait and switch - the title "I'M SHOCKED!" should give you an indication of where it's going, it would absolutely not be shocking for a 64 core PC to beat a 12 core Mac.

It's tech youtuber clickbait.

It'd say "I'm SHOCKED," have a thumbnail with a guy making a funny face, and stretch 3 minutes worth of reading into 15 minutes of setup and repeating the same points over and over, even if the conclusion was "this $10k workstation is faster than a 25 cent microcontroller."

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

People aren’t willing to pay for long form text tech reviews so...

I’m just happy there is some (any) decent tech coverage on video (DigitalFoundry etc)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

No, and I’m not going to watch a 20 minute video to try and catch a slide of relevant results. I seriously probably have 2 or 3 hours a day worth of potentially relevant content aggregated at me per day from various sources and I simply don’t care enough to watch most it even on hi-speed. Especially since once a topic is sufficiently hot, like five techtubers do the same video topic in a single week and come to pretty similar conclusions. I thought this was yet another “$50k Mac workstation gets owned by a $4k Threadripper build as long as you only do small consumer tasks!” video, they were really hot for a while.

Sorry about your algorithm but it’s not worth my time to sit and watch someone read their article to me while b-roll plays. Sucks that you don’t make much money from just publishing the article directly but you make zero dollars from me not watching your video, don’t you? So don’t make your content unbearably tedious to consume, and I’ll consume it.

(Let alone when it’s someone like buildzoid and it’s literally an hour and a half of stream-of-thought rambling.)

They say they make no money from written journalism and if you want the content you should pay for it but like, these guys all have patreons, people are paying for it, and it hasn’t encouraged them to actually release written content (apart from GN). It is the “cable tv” problem - cable TV didn’t use to have ads, you were paying for a premium service, ad-free! But then it turns out they can get you to pay monthly and still make even more money from the ads, so they choose both, and now you pay for a service that is 1/3 ads. The perennial problem with “micropayment” or “subscription” paywalls. Newspapers are real bad about that too.

So, unless it’s a particularly compelling video I’ll wait for someone to tl;dr it for me. Or if you think it’s relevant to a discussion we’re having then tell me what point I should take away from it, I’m not going to watch a 20 minute video in hopes that there might be a relevant point in it somewhere.

If I just want some white noise I’ll put on Steve1989mreinfo or Greg’s Airplanes or Forgotten Weapons or something. Not listen to the 47th review of “1600 vs 8700K in CURRENT_YEAR”. The amount of filler content has also gotten staggering, “the algorithm” favors frequent publishing and that means churning out two or three low-effort videos per week (but they have to be 15 minutes so tons of filler too).

Digital Foundry is cool though, they are one tech channel whose content hugely benefits from the video medium.

Also, “I’m shocked!” with a funny face is par for the course at this point and I disregard that entirely. Thanks Linus.

Or maybe everybody else actually is watching hours per day of video? Idk I think “hardly anybody actually watches the video anymore” is really not a shocking revelation these days.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 9, 2020

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, and I’m not going to watch a 20 minute video to try and catch a slide of relevant results. I seriously probably have 2 or 3 hours a day worth of potentially relevant content aggregated at me per day from various sources and I simply don’t care enough to watch most it even on hi-speed. Especially since once a topic is sufficiently hot, like five techtubers do the same video topic in a single week and come to pretty similar conclusions. I thought this was yet another “$50k Mac workstation gets owned by a $4k Threadripper build as long as you only do small consumer tasks!” video, they were really hot for a while.

Sorry about your algorithm but it’s not worth my time to sit and watch someone read their article to me while b-roll plays. Sucks that you don’t make much money from just publishing the article directly but you make zero dollars from me not watching your video, don’t you? So don’t make your content unbearably tedious to consume, and I’ll consume it.

(Let alone when it’s someone like buildzoid and it’s literally an hour and a half of stream-of-thought rambling.)

They say they make no money from written journalism and if you want the content you should pay for it but like, these guys all have patreons, people are paying for it, and it hasn’t encouraged them to actually release written content (apart from GN). It is the “cable tv” problem - cable TV didn’t use to have ads, you were paying for a premium service, ad-free! But then it turns out they can get you to pay monthly and still make even more money from the ads, so they choose both, and now you pay for a service that is 1/3 ads. The perennial problem with “micropayment” or “subscription” paywalls. Newspapers are real bad about that too.

So, unless it’s a particularly compelling video I’ll wait for someone to tl;dr it for me. Or if you think it’s relevant to a discussion we’re having then tell me what point I should take away from it, I’m not going to watch a 20 minute video in hopes that there might be a relevant point in it somewhere.

If I just want some white noise I’ll put on Steve1989mreinfo or Greg’s Airplanes or Forgotten Weapons or something. Not listen to the 47th review of “1600 vs 8700K in CURRENT_YEAR”. The amount of filler content has also gotten staggering, “the algorithm” favors frequent publishing and that means churning out two or three low-effort videos per week (but they have to be 15 minutes so tons of filler too).

Digital Foundry is cool though, they are one tech channel whose content hugely benefits from the video medium.

Also, “I’m shocked!” with a funny face is par for the course at this point and I disregard that entirely. Thanks Linus.

Or maybe everybody else actually is watching hours per day of video? Idk I think “hardly anybody actually watches the video anymore” is really not a shocking revelation these days.

If this isn't over-compensation I don't know what is. Jesus.

You're literally responding to a post with just the video link, specifically with:

quote:

The gotcha with all of these videos

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I just watched that video, where are you getting that $50k comparison? From that one comment at the start? Nothing he's doing seems relevant to your post, I'm super confused. Those machines only have 96gb of ram installed.

Paul MaudDib posted:

when the mac pro was launched there was a flood of "omg $50k mac! I can build a threadripper for like $4k!" and I'm responding to that as much as this specific video

You went off a tangent completely unrelated to the video, like a script triggered by certain keywords irrespective of the context. You implied that yes, you had watched it - so myself and others responded "wtf", now it's "Of COURSE I didn't watch it, I'm simply far too busy for that nonsense, I'm a professional poster". jfc my dude what is wrong with you

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

If this isn't over-compensation I don't know what is. Jesus.

You're literally responding to a post with just the video link, specifically with:

You went off a tangent completely unrelated to the video, like a script triggered by certain keywords irrespective of the context. You implied that yes, you had watched it - so myself and others responded "wtf", now it's "Of COURSE I didn't watch it, I'm simply far too busy for that nonsense, I'm a professional poster". jfc my dude what is wrong with you

You seem really upset over someone not watching a video, everything alright my man?

Sorry I didn’t watch what appeared to be a forgettable video from a no name youtuber four months after all the other tech tubers did the same video, I’m sure you’ll get over it

edit: perhaps the length of my post is what’s setting you off, I assure you I am not mad and in fact sitting out on my porch enjoying a sunny afternoon; it is merely that I am pathologically incapable of making any post without at least five paragraphs and ten edits ;)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 9, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
good grief dude was like "oh yeah no I'm just talking about the trend as a whole" and I was like "oh ok" and y'all went ape anyway

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nice meltdown as they say

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so Comet Lake-U is the 10th gen lineup that's still on 14nm, like an i3-10110U

and then Ice Lake-U is the 10th gen lineup on 10nm, like an i3-1005G1

and then Tiger Lake-U is the next (11th gen?) lineup on 10nm, and this is the first one that's going to have Xe graphics

is that right?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I assure you I am not mad and in fact
🤔

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 10, 2020

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

D. Ebdrup posted:

To really take advantage of non-volatile main memory, you need the OS you're using to be modified (it doesn't need to be FreeBSD, but it helps).
Too bad the write endurance of NVDIMMs is still many orders of magnitude lower than traditional SDRAM.

I'm hoping for whatever Intel's hoping for in getting Optane PMDC on client platforms to both work and be a significant improvement :ohdear: : https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/memory/intel-demos-optane-dc-persistent-memory-on-windows-workstation/1/

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

You seem really upset over someone not watching a video, everything alright my man?

Sorry I didn’t watch what appeared to be a forgettable video from a no name youtuber four months after all the other tech tubers did the same video, I’m sure you’ll get over it

edit: perhaps the length of my post is what’s setting you off, I assure you I am not mad and in fact sitting out on my porch enjoying a sunny afternoon; it is merely that I am pathologically incapable of making any post without at least five paragraphs and ten edits ;)

Stop it. As usual I can't tell if you are trolling or are really just that silly of a person. You lied about watching the video and dissembled for hundreds of words and you're acting like you don't even understand what happened. Take a break, it's so annoying when you reflexivly dig your heels in like this. You think everyone is so stupid that this poo poo works?

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 10, 2020

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
work 8 hours
sleep 8 hours
eat 1 hour
somethingAwful 19 hours
youtube 20 minutes

someone who is good at clocks please help me. i don't have time for youtubes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Intel had better get their poo poo together

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LRADIKAL posted:

Stop it. As usual I can't tell if you are trolling or are really just that silly of a person. You lied about watching the video and dissembled for hundreds of words and you're acting like you don't even understand what happened. Take a break, it's so annoying when you respectively dig your heels in like this. You think everyone is so stupid that this poo poo works?

Hmm? I never said I watched the video. If you bothered to read my posts instead of frantically hammering "reply" the second you see my name, you'd notice that it started with "The gotcha with all of these videos is that..." and referenced prices/components that were not related to this particular guy's build. It's pretty clear I'm speaking in generalities and if you didn't pick up on that it's really on you.

lmao, you guys are something else, like are YOU serious here? you're really that upset about someone discussing a topic having only watched similar videos and not that one, specific 20 minute video from a random tuber?

Oh boy what a betrayal of your sacred trust this really has turned out to be :qq:

some people are just crazy obsessed with @'ing me, it's really kind of funny (insert replies that will undoubtedly try to pick me apart word by word to prove I'm totally wrong about... something?)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 10, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
oh poo poo look more youtube (really interesting tidbits on intel’s internal decay if these leaks/sources are true and accurate. “testimonials from sources inside Intel” starts at 24:40):

https://youtu.be/nXeq2_P_O50

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh poo poo look more youtube (really interesting tidbits on intel’s internal decay if these leaks/sources are true and accurate. “testimonials from sources inside Intel” starts at 24:40):

https://youtu.be/nXeq2_P_O50

money shot from that timestamp:

discrete Xe being cancelled is probably false (seemed like a dumb idea, a microcosm of Intel's acquisition/development nonsense), but it's not going well, and raja is gunning for CEO lmao

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 10, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nobody expected Murphy to be fired. Also everyone saw this coming because Murphy hosed up a bunch. Don't know who this Murphy guy is but he sounds divisive.

Now Murthy, that's a guy who deserves a whole bunch of poo poo let me tell you

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Also all those mentions of bean counters and blaming Murthy makes me thing one of those sources is just someone scrapping this dead forum

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Murthy’s Law

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have no trouble believing that Chris Hook is a loving moron though

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I enjoy delicious gossip but I have a real hard time taking serious a guy saying someone's name wrong over and over and over again

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Nobody expected Murphy to be fired. Also everyone saw this coming because Murphy hosed up a bunch. Don't know who this Murphy guy is but he sounds divisive.

Now Murthy, that's a guy who deserves a whole bunch of poo poo let me tell you

Yeah according to MLID dude it was an autocorrect mistake in the slide that went unnoticed “and I didn’t want to give him the respect of fixing it”. Makes the video look shady AF tho, but MLID is legit AFAIK.

At least they seem to be trusted enough by the sorts of Internet chattering class people with actual industry ties and a reputation for less bullshit than your avg techtuber.

WhyteRyce posted:

I enjoy delicious gossip but I have a real hard time taking serious a guy saying someone's name wrong over and over and over again

He says “Murthy” in the video, although it sounds close enough that when I listened to it while looking at the slide again I had to do a double-take.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 10, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah according to MLID dude it was an autocorrect mistake in the slide that went unnoticed “and I didn’t want to give him the respect of fixing it”. Makes the video look shady AF tho, but MLID is legit.

"spell check autocorrected this and I didn't notice also I repeatedly said Murphy over and over as well even though all the quotes I was pulling together were assuredly saying Murthy and that should have stayed in my brain for a bit"

I'm not doubting he got those quotes it's just a hilariously amateur gently caress-up that's he's trying to "I meant to do that" his way out of

Ok Comboomer posted:

He says “Murthy” in the video, although it sounds close enough that when I listened to it while looking at the slide again I had to do a double-take.

He clearly says Murphy multiple times, every time as far as I can tell but let's just pretend it's an I ACQUIT moment so we won't derail

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 10, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

money shot from that timestamp:

discrete Xe being cancelled is probably false (seemed like a dumb idea, a microcosm of Intel's acquisition/development nonsense), but it's not going well, and raja is gunning for CEO lmao

I mean the first (and arguably most important) Xe implementation is launching September 2nd so yeah. The Xe is cancelled!!! rumor is horseshit. Even if you give the rumor mongering dorks the benefit of the doubt and say "they MEANT to say discrete Xe", thats also not gonna happen. Intel has firm orders for Xe HPC and already booked the TSMC capacity for it, so i firmly doubt its anywhere near cancelled.

Xe for gamers? Yeah, I could see that getting axed if Intel doesn't think they have the capacity.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nomyth posted:

I'm hoping for whatever Intel's hoping for in getting Optane PMDC on client platforms to both work and be a significant improvement :ohdear: : https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/memory/intel-demos-optane-dc-persistent-memory-on-windows-workstation/1/
I hope you're not hoping your breath :ohdear:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Makes the video look shady AF tho, but MLID is legit AFAIK.

AFAIK he just broke onto the leaking scene very recently with some wild claims about Ampere that have yet to be corroborated by anyone so it may be premature to call him legit

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

D. Ebdrup posted:

I hope you're not hoping your breath :ohdear:

please let me shorten the memory pyramid wintel

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

repiv posted:

AFAIK he just broke onto the leaking scene very recently with some wild claims about Ampere that have yet to be corroborated by anyone so it may be premature to call him legit

If we’re thinking about the same wild Ampere claims, those were debunked.

Yeah, I guess I just want to hear something out of the Intel situation. Like some explanation for how things got to where they are today, so gradually and obviously for years and years, and yet so sudden.

They’re such a monolith, it feels like we’re watching an ‘early 80s IBM’ moment. They haven’t quite hit the deluge yet but it feels like we’ve passed the point of no return and we’re just a couple of years out from the payoff.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I will lose my mind if Raja Koduri becomes Intel CEO. That would be such a loving trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

Intel has firm orders for Xe HPC and already booked the TSMC capacity for it, so i firmly doubt its anywhere near cancelled.

Not that I disagree with you, but having orders booked at TSMC doesn't mean much - orders can be canceled "easily enough" (see: Huawei), and there are plenty of other firms who would move in to reserve Intel's booked capacity as fast as they could.