Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is a really weird take, but did anyone else feel like a lot of the deliveries were just way too short? At least from the first gameplay trailer I was expecting them to be sprawling survival horror-y things where it's like "You have a ladder and two pairs of shoes to get over 250km, don't use your ladder early jerkface." I really enjoyed the hiking gameplay, but everything was so close together that I pretty much never felt obligated to carry more than a bola gun and single ladder + climbing hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Omi no Kami posted:

This is a really weird take, but did anyone else feel like a lot of the deliveries were just way too short? At least from the first gameplay trailer I was expecting them to be sprawling survival horror-y things where it's like "You have a ladder and two pairs of shoes to get over 250km, don't use your ladder early jerkface." I really enjoyed the hiking gameplay, but everything was so close together that I pretty much never felt obligated to carry more than a bola gun and single ladder + climbing hook.

I think they were just the perfect length so it kept you hooked on the gameplay loop. Getting those S ranks was addictive.

"Just one more delivery" - Me at 3 AM

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Finished it a few days ago at around 50 hours. Working on 100%ing it, thoughts:

I enjoyed the game, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with suggesting it to someone unless they specifically knew it was basically an art project from the crazy dude behind the metal gear series. Storywise, it felt like things missed as often as they landed. The insanity felt a bit front-loaded which sort of desensitized me to a lot of the "shocking" things happening later on. One gripe I especially had were all the data interviews being text only, I was hoping for something like MGS5 where I could run around the landscape listening to info dumps. Combat blew on Very Hard and looking back, I should have just played it on Normal or lower because trying to beat a sequence for upwards of 45 minutes took a lot of the drama out.

I wouldn't really call this game a flawed masterpiece, because I think that would be too generous, but im certainly glad it existed and I really want more game studios to take risks like these and try something completely different. All in all, happy to give Kojima my $60. I hope he keeps on throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

Jack Trades posted:

I really don't know what to think about ziplines. On one hand they're very convenient but on the other hand they completely change the way the game is played to the point that I never walk a route more than 1.5 times AT MOST (less if I get lucky with online ziplines) ever, which sort of defeats the whole point of the game. Them being practically free to place doesn't help either.
I basically slept on ziplines until I got to the snowy mountain region and decided I was done with trying to rough it. Oddly, I had a lot of fun setting up zipline infrastructure in the area. Its quite satisfying to zoom over an area you were once struggling to get through on foot.

oh christ on stick, how could I forget, this was a hilarious part of the game for me, especially with the added monster footsteps. I laughed aloud:
didn't know kojima was into giantess stuff but im not one to kinkshame.

buglord fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 8, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Omi no Kami posted:

Yes and no. I thought the game was going to be more like that as well but I wouldn't have wanted to be halfway through a long delivery and have to start over because the game required me to bring along a certain number of ladders.

Like any real delivery worker, the challenge (and fun) usually came more from maximizing the number of deliveries I could do along a particular route rather than how challenging any individual delivery was on its own.

Wow, typing that out I only just now realized the connection to my dad. He was a delivery driver and you'd think it's just a job of being told to go here and then go there but at night he would take home the customer order papers and plan out optimal routes to do everything the next day. Literally haven't thought about that in years but I was doing that the whole game!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

buglord posted:

I wouldn't really call this game a flawed masterpiece, because I think that would be too generous, but im certainly glad it existed and I really want more game studios to take risks like these and try something completely different. All in all, happy to give Kojima my $60. I hope he keeps on throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

Death Stranding is a bad game trapped inside an entertainingly dumb and good Kojima art project.

It's worth experiencing once, but I can't see ever playing it again after one thorough play through.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Incorrect, it's a very good game

edit: trapped inside an entertainingly dumb and good Kojima art project.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I also don't want to play it again but I don't think that's a knock against the game. I know, I know, it's a "game" so shouldn't replayability be a factor in how good it is? But I don't really view a game like this, or most AAA titles for that matter, as something like Tetris.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I'm on my second play through right now, first being on the PS4 and now on PC. Still enjoying it and now it looks even better. Not that it isn't flawed in some stuff, but the mechanics are just fun enough to keep me playing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Lobok posted:

I also don't want to play it again but I don't think that's a knock against the game. I know, I know, it's a "game" so shouldn't replayability be a factor in how good it is? But I don't really view a game like this, or most AAA titles for that matter, as something like Tetris.
I mean yeah in some ways its a sort of terrible game by modern and popular metrics because replayability isnt there and combat is incredibly anemic. That said its a pretty cool sum-of-its-parts experience. This game basically exists in the seam and its kinda hard to pin what it is, hence why I still have no idea who to recommend it to unless they are huge kojima fans or were genuinely interested in being a digital UPS guy.

I hope its a commercial success because I think trying all these things, even if some dont stick, is a great way to move the industry forward. If this means we eventually get a Death Stranding thats a little more polished (and frankly more fun to play) i'm all for it.

Spoiler heavy Q: I feel like im missing something with Diehardman breaking down that he killed Cliff. It seemed like he covered for that guy every step of the way, and in the end it was the president who pulled the trigger anyway. He acts like what he did was a betrayal when, in reality, it looks like he did the absolute best he could given the circumstances. Did I miss somethin?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just did the port city fight, it's my first play through and honestly, if it wasn't kojima weird I'm not sure I'd keep playing.

The BT zones are all just annoying stumbling blocks sofar. I just walk forward and Huck nades at everything.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Eventually you get a cool little reusable tool to stealth-remove BTs which makes those areas way more tolerable.Takes a while to get it though, I wish they had that unlock way earlier in the story.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

buglord posted:

Spoiler heavy Q: I feel like im missing something with Diehardman breaking down that he killed Cliff. It seemed like he covered for that guy every step of the way, and in the end it was the president who pulled the trigger anyway. He acts like what he did was a betrayal when, in reality, it looks like he did the absolute best he could given the circumstances. Did I miss somethin?

You didn't necessarily miss anything, but Die-hardman's guilt extends far beyond that single moment, he wouldn't have been in that position in the first place if he hadn't been balls-deep in that all that black ops BB poo poo, that the victim turned out to be his former commander simply broke through his ideological blinders to allow him to process the degree of betrayal and evil fuckery he was up to. That or Kojima was being a melodramatic idiot as usual.

dogstile posted:

I just did the port city fight, it's my first play through and honestly, if it wasn't kojima weird I'm not sure I'd keep playing.

The BT zones are all just annoying stumbling blocks sofar. I just walk forward and Huck nades at everything.

oh you are going to love That Part

Kojima has created a brilliantly anti-violence game by making engaging in violence a lovely tedious chore that distracts from what you want to be doing, true art.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 8, 2020

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I'm playing through on normal, and the hematic grenade/assault rifle combo makes BT combats pretty easy, so long as you're not (chapter 5 spoiler) carrying a goddamn person at the time

I just finished painstakingly building a zipline network from the road to timefall farm to simplify my pizza delivery... Only to learn I have to carry champagne in my hand the whole way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

thumper57 posted:

I'm playing through on normal, and the hematic grenade/assault rifle combo makes BT combats pretty easy, so long as you're not (chapter 5 spoiler) carrying a goddamn person at the time

I just finished painstakingly building a zipline network from the road to timefall farm to simplify my pizza delivery... Only to learn I have to carry champagne in my hand the whole way.

To your spoiler: set her down inside by the terminal and she won’t get hurt during the fight.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Oh, after a minute of trying to fight the thing I just ran away, I figured it didn't mean for me to fight there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Doesn't someone on the codec straight up tell you to run from that fight, right at the start?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, but you should still stay and fight because your staff calls you and compliments you if you take it out. :c00l:

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

If you ain't fightin bosses while loaded with cargo and getting LoL S rank, smdh son

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Isn't the the moment right when game gives you access to/an upgrade to the assault rifle? I thought that was a red flag right as the mission was starting so i made like 6 of things, had no problems

Also i had read on here that The Elder can die if you don't take deliveries to him occasionally but coming back to clean up 5 stars in the area after finishing the game and lo and behold he is still alive, i just had to delivery a whole drat hospitals worth medicine to him waiting for me at Lake Knot.[/s] I kinda figured it's suppose to be a surpise that [s] he would become a BT so i was expecting to just drop all my cargo and run away or kill him or something

Good on you old man :unsmith:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Speaking of the Elder, his emails and speech have entirely different tones. In hologram he's definitely got an eastern European vibe, but in email it's like the rant and rave of a southern rural newspaper.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I thought he was Mexican of all things due to the emails where he mentions some oddly familiar president building a large southern wall keeping people like him out of the country or "safety" reasons

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
It feels like the emails and the actual dialogue for the characters were written at different times and by different people.

In fact I wonder if that is true of the mission briefings and dialogue before and after you take story missions. It's as if a set of dialogue was written and put in and in a later pass on the game they added more without realizing that info was already covered?

That would explain why some things are repeated so often. Can't remember where exactly, but a couple of times Mama would say something like "I don't know if you know this, but [item A] is used to do [action B]" and I'd think "I do know this- you told it to me not even 2 minutes ago..."

Then again when I was tasked with taking that bomb to mountain knot, various NPCs told me like 3 or 4 times "Sam! Don't forget you're carrying a bomb!" to the point that I was rolling my eyes. Then a bit later I was taking a steep hill, stumbled a bit and heard a BEEP BEEP BEEP coming from my backpack and thought "oh yeah, the bomb..." So maybe the redundant instructions are on purpose?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Im pretty dumb as bricks, so the redundant emails helped my smooth brain get past a few "puzzle" parts, like trying to cross that huge body of tar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that during those 'puzzle' sections you can keep walking around instead of resolving them and Sam will eventually start muttering to himself trying to find the solution, which gives the player increasingly obvious hints as he figures it out. It feels very natural.

Of course, then Die Hardman comes on the comms and says SAM THIS GOES WITHOUT SAYING BUT I BET YOU COULD PROBABLY USE THE HOVER JET SKATEBOARD TO DO A SICK 1080 MCTWISTY OVER THE TAR AND GET TO THE OTHER SIDE SAFELY

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Stealing a mule truck vastly improved how fast I was progressing in this. I've basically got all the roads constructed, just loaded it up with stolen mule materials and driving around, reconstructing America.

Wish the trucks had radios, tho

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

dogstile posted:

Stealing a mule truck vastly improved how fast I was progressing in this. I've basically got all the roads constructed, just loaded it up with stolen mule materials and driving around, reconstructing America.

Wish the trucks had radios, tho

The bridges trucks are much much better my friend

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
wait did you manage to build a road to mountain knot with a mule truck

holy gently caress

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Push forward in the story a bit and get yourself a big boy truck

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lou Takki posted:

The bridges trucks are much much better my friend

Yup, just got them. Would have made life a little easier.

Not an issue though, other porters did most of the work for me, I just topped a bunch of them off. I figured if I touched a bunch of roads with a couple resources it'd probably move them up in whatever priority order it was where people could help, seemed to work.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha you did a lot better than me. I refused to push forward and single-handedly finished off many roads into areas I hadn't unlocked network for yet. Then did the same even when I unlocked truck and stuff. I was really hoping for more of an achievement for gettingf road done all the way to mountain. I'm hoping this means there is a road somewhere in the west USA region when we get there? 100% agree with you on needing radios in-game. MGSV had the drat walkman, we have freaking chiral printers, and floating electric highways and all that but not chiral radio? The Low Road songs are cool and all but on a 10-15 minute slowish drive from one end of region to the other would be nice to have some jams.

Also, do we ever go to Texas?

Wheeee posted:

Death Stranding is a bad game trapped inside an entertainingly dumb and good Kojima art project.

It's worth experiencing once, but I can't see ever playing it again after one thorough play through.

I disagree it's a bad game, I really enjoy the delivery loop even removed from the kojima artwork parts.

I'm not sure "worth experiencing once" is a negative thing. I can't think of any game (that didn't specifically revolve around some kind of endless replay/procedural-generation/NG+/GaaS/loot-fever system) I'd necessarily want to play more than once after completing it, especially if there's linear narrative involved? Maybe I'm an outlier and just don't revisit old beaten games very much unless it was eaten by brainworms over time and I forgot it. I feel like I have too many unplayed new games to move on to usually.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 9, 2020

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If they released a DLC that was just more roads, I'd probably be a sucker enough to pay for it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I go through stalker every year or so. Replayable single player games for me have to be beatable in about a day.

So I'll never play this again when I'm done. Still, it's a good experience

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only game I can recall beating in a day is Pokemon Snap

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I find the in-game music player weird - I can listen to a song so long as I do literally nothing else. I can't even read my email?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I can't think of any game (that didn't specifically revolve around some kind of endless replay/procedural-generation/NG+/GaaS/loot-fever system) I'd necessarily want to play more than once after completing it, especially if there's linear narrative involved? Maybe I'm an outlier and just don't revisit old beaten games very much unless it was eaten by brainworms over time and I forgot it. I feel like I have too many unplayed new games to move on to usually.

Exactly the same here. I don't replay games anymore. I did that when I was 14 with no internet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thumper57 posted:

I find the in-game music player weird - I can listen to a song so long as I do literally nothing else. I can't even read my email?

Originally you could only listen in certain Private Rooms, by going to the foam-padded vinyl appreciation booth. It got scrapped because Kojima wanted to upgrade it it to a full blown anechoic chamber but they had deadlines to meet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Khanstant posted:

The only game I can recall beating in a day is Pokemon Snap

It's all a ton of older games for me. Hell, i'd go through conker live and reloaded again if my xbox would still play it. That + mario etc.

But if i'm gonna go replay a ton of older games i'm probably just gonna use one of my day's off of work to do so. Not like I can go on holiday abroad this year anyway. You can do stalker in about four hours if you've completed the game before and know what you're doing. The speedrunners can do it in under an hour but I like doing the quests too.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 10, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my little brother finished Bully in a day. maybe two? either way, not healthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Even though I knew it was coming the Elder dying still took me by surprise because I was delivering pacemakers to him. His farewell email was sweet, but still. :smith: