Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Storming here. Florida. Power flickered for a bit. Half the rooms in the apt have power and the other half dont. I called my apt mgmt but havent hear back yet and I dont know what to do. Flipping the breakers doesnt seem to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Sean posted:

Storming here. Florida. Power flickered for a bit. Half the rooms in the apt have power and the other half dont. I called my apt mgmt but havent hear back yet and I dont know what to do. Flipping the breakers doesnt seem to help.

I hope you stay safe! Did you have a question?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Have you checked you don't have a second set of breakers elsewhere?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quote does not equal edit.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

tuyop posted:

I hope you stay safe! Did you have a question?

Yeah "what the hell do i do?"

Moo the cow posted:

Have you checked you don't have a second set of breakers elsewhere?

I only have one set of breakers. I dont have a master breaker like I feel Ive had at earlier places Ive lived at. It may be bc Im in a large complex.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

The Sean posted:

Yeah "what the hell do i do?"

I only have one set of breakers. I dont have a master breaker like I feel Ive had at earlier places Ive lived at. It may be bc Im in a large complex.

Without knowing anything about your setup, it's hard to make an educated guess. But half your power working and half not sure make me wonder if the tripped breakers are somewhere else.

You hear funky poo poo: my neighbour has his bathroom powered by the communal hall lights for no reason.

I suppose you could try physically swapping around the breakers in case one has failed but appears functional, but only if you are completely confident that you can do it safely.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Sean posted:

You dropped a phase. Flip any 240v (double pole) breakers to off, call the power company. And/or your property management.

US power is "split phase". Power, power neutral is what comes in. Hook something up to power and neutral? 120v. Hook something up to two different power phases? 240v.

Everything that is off is either on one side or the other of your breaker panel, or every or breaker depending on what panel it is how the phases are split out.

Either way, you're not fixing this on your own. It's somewhere in the complex or on the pole.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 10, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Or you could listen to this guy who knows what he's talking about.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I know we used to have a linguistics thread, but it seems to be gone.

Both French and Spanish have official bodies that determine whether a word is valid and accepted, how to spell it, what variations and synonyms are allowed, even to the point of creating neologisms rather than adopting foreign loanwords wholesale. So why did French ossify so much sooner than even English, resulting in a written language far diverged from the spoken, with tons of spelling irregularities and silent letters, while Spanish is almost exactly phonetic?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Fuschia tude posted:

Both French and Spanish have official bodies that determine whether a word is valid and accepted, how to spell it, what variations and synonyms are allowed, even to the point of creating neologisms rather than adopting foreign loanwords wholesale. So why did French ossify so much sooner than even English, resulting in a written language far diverged from the spoken, with tons of spelling irregularities and silent letters, while Spanish is almost exactly phonetic?

Napolean really wanted France to stay french. One of the things that tends to happen when you start conquering europe is all the new territory holds onto their own language even when the new powers that be have moved in and made their own language official. Over the years things start blending together, loan words added, etc.

Not on Napolean's watch.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thank you for your responses. An extra bonus touch was hearing that from someone with a Ron Swanson avitar.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Since we have Swanson in here I'd like to ask. Anyone know of where maybe to start with an AC Unit that repeatedly trips the breakers after about 5 minutes? I'm guessing it will require a professional.

Feels like the more it comes on/the hotter it is, the quicker it trips.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Fuschia tude posted:

here

veni veni veni posted:

Since we have Swanson in here I'd like to ask. Anyone know of where maybe to start with an AC Unit that repeatedly trips the breakers after about 5 minutes? I'm guessing it will require a professional.

here

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."
Say, what’s the cheapest independent living arrangement in US? PNW to be more specific.

I’m not making min wage but not making much more than poor. I wonder what I’ve potentially been turning my nose up to that might be an option I’ve otherwise overlooked, would sum up the real question on my mind.

Does everyone just slum it with roomies or live with their parents?Are trailers even a thing? Are tiny homes achievable for the working poor?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

eternalvictory posted:

Say, what’s the cheapest independent living arrangement in US? PNW to be more specific.

I’m not making min wage but not making much more than poor. I wonder what I’ve potentially been turning my nose up to that might be an option I’ve otherwise overlooked, would sum up the real question on my mind.

Does everyone just slum it with roomies or live with their parents?Are trailers even a thing? Are tiny homes achievable for the working poor?

I live in an illegal basement suite from a nice old lady.

All in, utilities, property tax, house insurance, mortgage, it used to cost me 1600-1800 (don't even remember gently caress houses) a month to own a house. Now I pay 800 for for basically the same amount of space that gets used and amenities.

I've lived in 3 of these type deals in the last 6 years and they're good.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

eternalvictory posted:

Tbh it is kind of impossible to live on your own here (20 minutes out from PDX in my case) unless you're making like $15/hr minimum, since most one bedroom or studio options these days start at roughly a grand just for rent alone, and that's not even counting poo poo like utilities, saving for first/last months rent/deposits and the like. I lucked out with a sketchy renovated boarding house situation at $820 but most people do indeed either have roommates, still live with family or split their rent with an SO. If there is a magical fourth option for us poors that's better than what I got though I'd also love to hear it

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm only speaking from experience in Vancouver, but it's basically Canadian PNW and housing is also screwed up there (although the minimum wage went up recently and that may finally change things) .

For low to minimum wage, shared accomodation (renting a room) is standard.

Best option if you can find it is making a semi-legal arrangement with an elderly person for a basement flat.

Crappy options: pay by the night/week hotels (this is crappy because many of your neighbours will be addicts and sex workers. Friendly people. LOUD. ) and the occasional studio apartment that has chronic bedbugs/water damage/other issues.

Edit: If you can get some friends together, renting a house that's due to be demolished in a year or so is the ultimate option. This was probably my best housing situation in Van. Look in old exurbs that have been subsumed by the metro area and are on the cusp of being gentrified.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 10, 2020

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
How do people mod, or view the code for, video games on consoles? As a specific example, Animal Crossing on the Switch. Doing this stuff on computer games makes perfect sense, but how is it done for a console game? (Just the general concept, I'm not looking to do it myself or anything.)

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Methanar posted:

I live in an illegal basement suite from a nice old lady.

All in, utilities, property tax, house insurance, mortgage, it used to cost me 1600-1800 (don't even remember gently caress houses) a month to own a house. Now I pay 800 for for basically the same amount of space that gets used and amenities.

I've lived in 3 of these type deals in the last 6 years and they're good.

I’ve found weird arrangements like that a few times, but it’s not as concrete as what I’m after. And also, it’s crazy to think that 800 all in is cheap. But you’ve also gone through the ideas I pinged, so, what made you leave those situations? What about cost?

Thank you for responding to my q

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There was a classified ad in the SF Bay Guardian that ran for months in the 90s that just said, "Looking for someone to share a bunk bed. Preferably you have very little stuff." I think they wanted $250 a month.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Bad run capacitor would be the cheapest and easiest thing to check. Second cheapest would be the breaker itself getting weak - it happens. And then you have all the expensive stuff that end up with "you're probably replacing it unless it's under warranty or close to it" (i.e. the compressor is going bad and needs to be replaced).

Propaniac posted:

How do people mod, or view the code for, video games on consoles? As a specific example, Animal Crossing on the Switch. Doing this stuff on computer games makes perfect sense, but how is it done for a console game? (Just the general concept, I'm not looking to do it myself or anything.)

On a computer. Often hooked up to a special development version of the console.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Tbh it is kind of impossible to live on your own here (20 minutes out from PDX in my case) unless you're making like $15/hr minimum, since most one bedroom or studio options these days start at roughly a grand just for rent alone, and that's not even counting poo poo like utilities, saving for first/last months rent/deposits and the like. I lucked out with a sketchy renovated boarding house situation at $820 but most people do indeed either have roommates, still live with family or split their rent with an SO. If there is a magical fourth option for us poors that's better than what I got though I'd also love to hear it

I make low 30 a year, so more than 15 an hour, but I’m not making a killing in any sense. I live mid valley, so at least I’m not looking PDX peripheral areas, but even then everything seems to be basically the same price anyways and considered a burb of pdx. Apartments start at 1200 min, studios don’t exist or cost 1000 min, I’ve rented under the table at okay rates but it’s the stability of the situations I’m not a fan of. I just want my wife to make it through her schooling

That’s why I bring up trailers and the like. I’d totally take out a trailer mortgage if it meant I could live around $500, but I have a feeling that’s completely absurd of me to think is within possibility anywhere at this point. I have a large pick up (ask me about my poor monetary choices) that I could use to tow an RV or ‘tiny house’ or some other bullshit.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crumps Brother posted:

I went on a bike ride today and the map I rode ended up looking like a really specific either video game or cartoon character. I can see the character in my head, but I just can't place it.

The two little spots on the second line from the top are the eyes above an agape mouth. Can anyone else place it? It's kind of driving me crazy.

Kind of looks like the "purple guy" walking around the end cut scenes of FNAF Sister Location.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

eternalvictory posted:

That’s why I bring up trailers and the like. I’d totally take out a trailer mortgage if it meant I could live around $500, but I have a feeling that’s completely absurd of me to think is within possibility anywhere at this point. I have a large pick up (ask me about my poor monetary choices) that I could use to tow an RV or ‘tiny house’ or some other bullshit.

Lot rent in a mobile home park is about $500, if you can find an open lot.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Yeah the thing with trailers is you're usually not gonna find one already set up for rent, generally you'd have to buy one yourself up front and then buy the space it'll be on. Definitely cheaper than fussing with the rental market landscape long-term but the issue with it is kind of just timing and the up front investment. most parks I see don't exactly have high turnover the way apartments do so you might be waiting a while for all those pieces to line up

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

eternalvictory posted:

Microstudios are an option if you really don't want roommates and are wanting to save a bunch. Otherwise, roommates are really the best arrangement. Up until COVID, I felt I had it pretty good living with someone who I get along with very well for about $800 a month (that's rent and all utilities).

If you're in the Seattle area, PM me and I can refer you to some fairly cheap places with benignly neglectful landlords that are pretty livable (no bugs, no serious maintenance issues, but also very much not fancy). Gets a lot less cheap if you need a car, though (location is very good for downtown travel without a car).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Living in Corvallis, Oregon, I was able to afford a single bedroom apartment with its own washer and dryer, a quarter mile from the University and within a mile from everything else for $450 a month. The square footage was small (500 or so? I can't quire remember) but aside from that it was a great place to live that I could have afforded on minimum wage.

I've lived all over the PNW, mostly in Oregon, and outside of Portland rent is usually... I don't want to say "reasonable" because that's debatable, but it always fit my meager economy. I've never lived in a bigger town than Eugene, though, and that's such a sprawl of economic misery that rent is cheap, generally.

credburn fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 10, 2020

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Kind of looks like the "purple guy" walking around the end cut scenes of FNAF Sister Location.

Funny story, that purple guy is not the fnaf purple guy, but don't delve deeper if you value your sanity.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Is there a thread for helping people to navigate collecting money from the CARES Act/back unemployment/PUA/whatever?

My husband applied and got a letter saying "yay, you're eligible for back pay from April 4th to July 25th!", but when he's called to say "uh, where's that money at?" all he gets is phone trees sending him round and round in circles or "I'll transfer you to customer service" --- who then just hang up --- or "sorry, my computer says you're ineligible" :psyduck:.

We're at our wits' end, and I thought there might be some thread in BFC or somesuch with advice on how to navigate this poo poo but haven't found one.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 11, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Is there a thread for helping people to navigate collecting money from the CARES Act/back unemployment/PUA/whatever?

My husband applied and got a letter saying "yay, you're eligible for back pay from April 4th to July 25th!", but when he's called to say "uh, where's that money at?" all he gets is phone trees sending him round and round in circles or "I'll transfer you to customer service" --- who then just hang up --- or "sorry, my computer says you're ineligible" :psyduck:.

We're at our wits' end, and I thought there might be some thread in BFC or somesuch with advice on how to navigate this poo poo but haven't found one.

You can probably start a thread in BFC, but if you want an answer, you're probably going to have to disclose what state you're in (states administer unemployment).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I tried asking this question on Reddit's "Explain Like I'm Five" subreddit, but it got removed because I wasn't asking for an objective answer? Well, I thought I was, but whatever, maybe someone here can unlock the mystery?

If someone shakes up a plastic bottle of soda, it gets fizzy inside and the bottle inflates. Even after the fizzy bubbles go away, the bottle is inflated, like you can't squeeze it. But despite it being air-tight, given a few minutes the bottle deflates again back to its normal state. What happens to all the air and pressure?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

credburn posted:

I tried asking this question on Reddit's "Explain Like I'm Five" subreddit, but it got removed because I wasn't asking for an objective answer? Well, I thought I was, but whatever, maybe someone here can unlock the mystery?

If someone shakes up a plastic bottle of soda, it gets fizzy inside and the bottle inflates. Even after the fizzy bubbles go away, the bottle is inflated, like you can't squeeze it. But despite it being air-tight, given a few minutes the bottle deflates again back to its normal state. What happens to all the air and pressure?

gaseous carbon dioxide always tries to occupy a particular volume. Infact, all gasses do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avogadro%27s_law

quote:

Avogadro's law states that "equal volumes of all gases, at the same temperature and pressure, have the same number of molecules."[1]

For a given mass of an ideal gas, the volume and amount (moles) of the gas are directly proportional if the temperature and pressure are constant.

Carbon dioxide dissolved into water is no longer in a gaseous state and may occupy a different volume.

The mass always remains the same though, the same amount of carbon dioxide is always present, just within a different phase.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
edit: oh

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

To expand on that, and keeping it brief without getting into deeper thermo:

When you shake it you're forcing a bunch of CO2 out of solution (out of the liquid, where it exists as carbonic acid) and into the gas phase. This increases the total amount of gas in the empty space of the bottle so it increases the pressure. but this is out of equilibrium so eventually the excess CO2 dissolves back into the liquid.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm not sure it can be simplified beyond

equal volumes of all gases, at the same temperature and pressure, have the same number of molecules
Dissolved carbon dioxide is not a gas.

In the absence of shaking the bottle of soda, the carbon dioxide in a bottle of soda is not usually a gas*, therefore the volume needed by the carbon dioxide is only the volume of the water its dissolved into, which is less than that of a gaseous state.

*its actually at an equilibrium

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Does this mean that it can just go back and forth? Like, I shake the bottle, it fizzes and expands, then goes back, and then later I shake it again, and I have a never ending fizzy shaky thing?

I know this is the most easily testable thing in the world...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Theoretically i think so but some of the gas might escape each time also idk

If you're confused about perpetual motion, remember you're adding energy each time you shake it to shift it away from equilibrium, and that energy can dissipate as heat from the bottle

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What the type of music called that's in novelty 50s-style PSAs and commercials? It's really upbeat and there's very little if any percussion. A couple of the Sims shopping music pieces sound a lot like it.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
Muzak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know how it's expressed as, like, a genre but Music for TV Dinners is an entire album of what I think you're looking for. They describe it as "50's Production Music" but I think that's less about the style and more how/why it was made.