Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If you think this is Shakespearean you're going to get your mind blown by a Shakespeare play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

All you have to do is record silence where the grunts are without changing the flow in any way and it would be a massive improvement.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Necrothatcher posted:

If you think this is Shakespearean you're going to get your mind blown by a Shakespeare play.

It's just the florid, faux olde style of writing versus everyone being Americans saying rear end in a top hat or whatever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Necrothatcher posted:

lol yes I have studied literature, the reference wasn't to quality but to the use of soliloquy and meter

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I loved the poo poo out of Death Stranding and also TLOU2 and boy howdy do I not understand how either can be a controversial opinion

That's such a great double feature in the current pandemic climate as well. One about our propensity towards hate, and the other about our drive to connect, after a disaster

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why the gently caress does ffviir discussion make everybody so salty, drat

It doesn't make me salty since it doesn't even register to me as something to care about

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Posting about how I don't even care about this

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I beat FFVII: R in just under twelve hours.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bloodborne beat me for 12 hours in my first playthrough :smug: no, it beat me mercilessly for more but but...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Because translation/localisation/voice acting is a complex art in itself with a lot of moving pieces and for huge games with tons of voice acting the company is usually only interested in spending so much money. Japanese is a very terse language with a lot of repetition and ambiguity, it's a noun->verb language rather than a verb->noun language, passive in that sense. This means, absent of hiring the world's best translator/poet/interpreter the size of the project is going to require some level of consistent mediation of the pacing of the voice acting across two languages. In FF's case I think they kind of went all out because in the end all the characters are funny, relatable, and have recognizable personality progression arcs, but it's still going to be largely influenced by industry standards because of the scale of the project, and industry standards with regard to translation are pretty average across all media. This is why people get obsessed with Criterion releases where they pay for new translations and such on old rear end 1950s foreign films, because there's no such thing as a perfect translation.

Tim Rogers talks about this a lot more in his Let's Mosey series.

This is a cool point, but doesn't this sort of gloss over that in 2020, Square Enix (one of the biggest gaming developers in the world) probably has hundreds, perhaps thousands of bilingual Japanese, American, and dual-citizenship employees? Like potentially hundreds of people who are conversatively fluent in both languages, maybe even audio engineers, actors, and most importantly directors for whom English and Japanese are equally comfortable, who might be able to step back and go "Uh, these anime sounds at the end of every sentence are unnecessary and could be pretty off putting to Western audience?". If they serve the narrative by helping to define the characters in ways their written dialigue doesn't, then you can make a case for them, but they absolutely aren't serving that purpose here.

These sounds are NOT PART of FF7, because those games didn't have voice acting, so these sounds are intentionally being added to the script and it makes the game feel extremely dated in a weird way when it went through so many pains to become modernized.

Like I have to assume it's an intentional directorial decision because i just cruised through a few clips of FFX, the first fully voice acted Square FF game like 20 years ago, and the characters don't do that at all. They have catchphrases, which do feel dated, but the Kingdom Hearts anime "Wah? Buh! Gah!?" stuff is just not there, so I don't think it's a translation issue unless they just, uh, fired the guy who knew how to direct English VAs?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 10, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
They should have hired Tim Rogers to help with the translation (even though I think it’s basically as good as it could really be, or at least a lot better than I expected), but yeah I don’t know, I sort of agree and it’s the maybe my least favorite aspect of the game, maybe aside from other minor nitpicks. The games seem to also revolve around the broader FF7 ‘universe’ which includes the literal ‘anime’ movies, so considering Advent Children, (which I haven’t seen, btw) is referenced directly several times in important parts of the story of the plot, but along with Dirge of Cerberus which I don’t think is really that important to the creators, or at least not as much as AC, I can see why they might have gone with that style of VA. I mean, because it’s the first major piece of media in the FF7 series that had voice acting and they might’ve looked to it for a jumping off point, otherwise it’s pretty daunting to go about writing and voicing such a huge game with nothing to go off of in the actual thing it’s remaking, aside from the style of writing/vernacular for different characters. I don’t know, but either way, play it in Japanese if you want the less anime version.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 10, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I never noticed this supposedly ubiquitous problem once in the entire game

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Me neither, or I didn’t think about it once I switched to Japanese, then I didn’t really think about the dialogue much on my hard play through in English, cause it’s hard.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKmg5pr3Ko

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I suppose all art forms, even if they're meant to mimic reality, eventually diverge and get their own internal expectations. Anime and game voice acting in Japan has definitely gone that way and all that's left is to compare those reaction sounds to each other, rather than questioning why they're there at all.

That's why it's so refreshing to see a game or anime where they have normal actors doing the voice acting rather than voice actors, like Kimutaku in Judgment. Or him in Redline, for that matter.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I thought Final Fantsy VII Remake was pretty funny for a video game. Games are rarely funny but that had a lot of lines that made me giggle.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the progression from getting trounced by any mini boss and lady butterfly to aggro’ing every chump in Fountainhead Palace and pulling off consistent lightning reversals and killing them all is Good poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

I never noticed this supposedly ubiquitous problem once in the entire game
Sorry to report that you have terminal anime brain

The English dub’s from old good animes like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star don’t have those noises either but stuff that I watched recently like Tokyo Ghoul sure as poo poo does, I’d be very interested to see when it really began to propagate.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I bought Horizon: Zero Dawn a year ago. Finally got around to playing it this weekend due to the PC release hype. About 5 hours and it's very meh. I find the combat system, especially melee combat to be very mediocre. The story is dull and full of fetch quests. Is it or me or was this game overhyped?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

I bought Horizon: Zero Dawn a year ago. Finally got around to playing it this weekend due to the PC release hype. About 5 hours and it's very meh. I find the combat system, especially melee combat to be very mediocre. The story is dull and full of fetch quests. Is it or me or was this game overhyped?

it was overhyped but it also has a very slow start, the gameplay hits its stride once you hit the City of the Sun and the plot when you reach Maker's End

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Howard Phillips posted:

It starts out really slow and cramped and doesn't give you any idea of the scope of the real game world. I guess it's deliberate because it reflects the narrow world that Aloy knows, but I still think it turned a lot of people off early on.

Melee is bad In the game and I have never heard anyone dispute that. They should have just not had it at all, other than maybe some kind of canned finisher animation. Also shouldn't have had fighting humans, because that was completely half-baked too compared to fighting robot animals.

Edit: one thing I wish I had known way before I actually figured it out is, how long you draw the bow back doesn't affect damage. Therefore, your goal should be to get as many arrows into the target as fast as you can, rather than waiting for that perfect shot.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 10, 2020

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Game is overhyped. It's a quality game, but it's overhyped. I'm glad I finished it though, and look back fondly on it. I like having had played it more than I enjoyed playing it.

That being said: the whole time I was mildly enjoying H:ZD, I kept thinking about how awesome the sequel is going to be once they've learned from the first. So I'm totally on the H:ZD2 hype train.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Don't get me wrong H:ZD has amazing graphics. Aloy's dialogue choices, does it actually affect the story or is it merely to make you feel like you are making consequential decisions?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
it's fantastic, imho

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
As someone who thought H:ZD was overhyped, typically doesn’t like open world games at all usually aside from a select few (or literally I’ve only enjoyed Death Stranding and weirdly Ghost of Tsushima, otherwise) and wasn’t hyped about it before or after release and like others have said, started slow for me as well- I think it’s very good. Objectively, there’s just no other game with combat or an open world like it, really, and I think because of that I just took a while to actually realize how robust the combat can be in it when you use all of the weapons at your disposal and actually read the bestiary or whatever to see what each type of robot is weak to, and try the hunting ground trials, etc. At least compared to basically any other open world game with similar systems, I guess? I just don’t see how you could find that game disappointing if you were into the genre.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm not sure what you mean by overhyped. People just like that game a lot, its not like they were more excited about it than they should be. You just happened to like it less than them. The hype was valid because people really enjoyed that game, me included. There isn't much out there like it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I enjoyed HZD but I can't recall any of the characters outside of Ted and Aloy and the crux of the story eludes me. It was very pretty though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Disgusted that you could forget my man Sylens

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I borrowed Horizon from a friend and beat it before he asked for it back and it's good, folks

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JBP posted:

I enjoyed HZD but I can't recall any of the characters outside of Ted and Aloy and the crux of the story eludes me. It was very pretty though.
I don't remember hardly anything about the story in the present, but I sure remember how the world got that way because it was much better presented.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Regy Rusty posted:

Disgusted that you could forget my man Sylens

Ah yeah, the praying mantis looking guy from The Wire had some masterplan or something.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Overhyped? Everyone was dumping on it before it came out

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I thought Horizon was boring as hell until I reached Meridian and got access to the best bow. After that, the combat for me opened up immensely and became more enjoyable

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JBP posted:

I forget his name, but I liked the guy who got off on killing and was becoming upset that he was running out of dishonorable people to kill because he and Aloy had already killed too many of them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

screaden posted:

Overhyped? Everyone was dumping on it before it came out

I recall "everyone" talking it up and being excited about it. I couldn't grasp why because I thought it looked extremely stupid. People were doing cosplay of the game before it came out and stuff.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

JBP posted:

I recall "everyone" talking it up and being excited about it. I couldn't grasp why because I thought it looked extremely stupid. People were doing cosplay of the game before it came out and stuff.

I meant in here moreso, especially when that clip of the guy with voices in his head came out just before release

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

screaden posted:

I meant in here moreso, especially when that clip of the guy with voices in his head came out just before release

Ah ok. I just thought that the name of the game and it's general look seemed like a fake game you'd encounter in the background of a film or TV show.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I remember going through different feelings about it. The first trailer looked cool, but I saw that it was developed by the people who made Killzone which was the video game equivalent of Wonder Bread with the crusts cut off so I didn't think it would be any good. Then I saw more video of combat and it looked awesome, but then I saw video of the laughably bad cutscenes and wasn't sure again, and so on and so forth until I actually played it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I just platted it and thought it was amazing. One of the best open world games I’ve played. Most of the side quests were pretty meh but it somehow didn’t put a damper on the overall experience. The world and the core gameplay were immensely varied and satisfying, which was enough. I can only imagine that the sequel can only improve on the stuff that wasn’t as well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I legitimately had to look up cutscene compilations and scroll through them in order to find any example of "anime noises" in FFVIIR and most of them were just generic exertion grunts.

Like, seriously, this is what we're complaining about? Who fuckin cares lmao