Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

JackMann posted:

Trying to figure out how I'm gonna paint my necrons. How does this look as a basic theme?

Never was a big fan of teal, but this looks quite nice. I like it.

Just avoid adding yellow/gold or they'll end up looking like the Australian Olympic team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well now that they said that, you should absolutely try switching all the light green to fluorescent yellow

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, the necrons that came with my indomitus box came with some rules/unit stats, but those have some special abilities in which I have to refer to the codex. Given that the resurrection part of necrons seems important to playing them I guess I need to buy the codex. Will there be a new necron codex coming out to go along with the new models? I would have to buy a codex only to have it obsolete in a week or two.

Do not buy the current codex. There's a new one coming in October.

At present, we don't know how significant the changes from the old one will be. It may be simply an update with new datacards added it. However, it is more probable that it will be a complete overhaul of the Necron army. Simply put, Necrons were bad in 8th. They had a weak codex at the time their codex was launched, and it never got fixed. In an era where alphaing multiple units off the table is expected for turn one, the Necron special rules need either adjustment or a reduction in their cost (added to the cost of all Necron units).

Maneck fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 9, 2020

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Not posted in ages because work was kicking my rear end until August. So I've had a couple weeks off and painted some Space Marines, here's some Blood Angels or Thousand Sons or something. I bought the Indomitus Crusade box, a Librarian and a squad of Eliminators (really wanted some sniper guys), I was hoping to get a Redemptor done so I could say that I'd painted 1500pts in two weeks, but the postal system seems to have lost it :iiam:

HQ

Elites (Blade Guard Ancient and Veterans and the Judiciar, whatever one of those is)

Troops (Assault Intercessor Squad I and II, guy 2nd from end of squad II is training for Blood Bowl)

Fast Attack (eugh vehicles, but I did these early on to get them out of the way)

Heavy (Eliminators and Eradicators, for when you need something eliminating AND eradicating)

I did a couple of the Necrons, which was the actual point of buying the box but the new Primaris models were too pretty to pass over, and a bonus Szeras from the end of last month.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

xtothez posted:

Did Operative Requisition Sanctioned get deleted when they updated Assassin rules in PA8? I was going to bring one to fill out the last few free points in a pure Knights army, but it looks like the only way to do it now means spending 3CP for a Vanguard, or 2CP plus units for an allied Patrol.

It works slightly different now.

It used to be pre-game strat for 2CP that essentially said "you can spend reinforcement points to slip in an assassin of your choice to your list". This meant you needed to gave the 85 points essentially spare using the reinforcement points rule.

These days, since War of the Spider, you buy any assassin you want, and then there's a stratagem called "Shadow Assignment" used before the battle begins, which swaps the assassin out for a different one. This is essentially a buff because say you use the Callidus or Culexus Assassin in like 80% of games, it means in those games you don't actually have to spend the 2CP.

Maneck posted:

Do note buy the current codex. There's a new one coming in October.

Yeah this for sure.

If you download Battlescribe you can just input every unit you have from indomitus, and it will tell you the rules for them all, including stuff from the codex.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'm putting together a severely kitbashed squad of space marines. I'm trying to give them a look that says they're from an era past, and some of the Adeptus Mechanicus weapons have that old timey appearance I'm going for. Is there any way to buy only the Mechanicus weapons, or am I stuck having to buy a whole squad of Mechanicus dudes to get the little bits I want?

I poked around the GW and Forgeworld sites, as well as a few of the ones mentioned in the OP, to no avail. Didn't have a ton of luck on eBay either.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Communist Walrus posted:

I'm putting together a severely kitbashed squad of space marines. I'm trying to give them a look that says they're from an era past, and some of the Adeptus Mechanicus weapons have that old timey appearance I'm going for. Is there any way to buy only the Mechanicus weapons, or am I stuck having to buy a whole squad of Mechanicus dudes to get the little bits I want?

Check out ebay and search for something like "warhammer 40k bits seller" and you may find a website that sells the items individually.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

I poked around the GW and Forgeworld sites, as well as a few of the ones mentioned in the OP, to no avail. Didn't have a ton of luck on eBay either.

If you're EU I can recommend these two, bought a whole bunch of stuff from these over the years:
https://bitzarium.com/en/
https://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/

Then there's also:
https://bitzbox.co.uk/
https://www.bitzstore.com/en/
https://megabitzshop.com/Megabitzshop-the-Warhammer-Bitz-Shop
A lot of them do international shipping though.

For US there aren't that many options outside of Ebay but there is:
https://hoardobits.com/cgi-bin/hob/index.pl

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Much obliged, dudes. You saved me a ton of money.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I need inspiration for ork color schemes! I don’t know what to do for them. I was thinking of goffs, but also evil suns sound cool and yellow on orks always seems to look fantastic, but I’d def need advice on painting proper yellows.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Verisimilidude posted:

I need inspiration for ork color schemes! I don’t know what to do for them. I was thinking of goffs, but also evil suns sound cool and yellow on orks always seems to look fantastic, but I’d def need advice on painting proper yellows.

Paint them whatever colour you think looks cool unless you're super invested in a specific clan or whatever. In terms of painting yellow, there's no point in lying, it's a hard colour to paint well mostly because you need multiple thin layers to build up a smooth and solid colour. This isn't technically difficult per se, it's just time consuming. Luckily with a lot of Ork models the yellow is relatively small compared to say the green, so it's not like you're playing imperial fists or anything.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I haven't watched this video but there's Yellow chat going on in the painting thread right now :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&pagenumber=844&perpage=40#post507140354

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Finished my first Nobz tonight. I took a few shortcuts at the end but I feel like they are a big improvement from the Boyz I posted here before. Please be gentle, my wife has been roasting me all week for being this invested.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Never feel bad for being invested. I've been out of the hobby for over a decade, and my first foray back in is boring rear end Cadian infantry. And you know what? I'm gonna relish the hell out of painting those guys. Love what you love, they turned out great.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

richyp posted:

Not posted in ages because work was kicking my rear end until August. So I've had a couple weeks off and painted some Space Marines, here's some Blood Angels or Thousand Sons or something. I bought the Indomitus Crusade box, a Librarian and a squad of Eliminators (really wanted some sniper guys), I was hoping to get a Redemptor done so I could say that I'd painted 1500pts in two weeks, but the postal system seems to have lost it :iiam:

HQ

Elites (Blade Guard Ancient and Veterans and the Judiciar, whatever one of those is)

Troops (Assault Intercessor Squad I and II, guy 2nd from end of squad II is training for Blood Bowl)

Fast Attack (eugh vehicles, but I did these early on to get them out of the way)

Heavy (Eliminators and Eradicators, for when you need something eliminating AND eradicating)

I did a couple of the Necrons, which was the actual point of buying the box but the new Primaris models were too pretty to pass over, and a bonus Szeras from the end of last month.

Nice.

Regarding "the Judiciar, whatever one of those is:" According to Indomitus, the novel (which is very merely okay), Judiciars are Chaplains-in-training who take a vow of combat silence so that they must learn to inspire through deeds alone before being allowed to speak in combat again, the idea being that Space Marines would probably be more inspired by the words of chaplains who have demonstrably spent some time being confined to inspiring deeds.

No word on how that connects thematically to having a magic hourglass that slows time for your enemies, or why only the chaplains-in-training are given said magic hourglasses, or why all chaplains-in-training are given said magic hourglasses. But it is why the bandanna.

Fortunately the vow of silence doesn't apply out of combat, allowing the Indomitus-the-novel Judiciar to be one of the only characters in the book who has any memorable characterization. Like when our protagonist lieutenant, a newbiew who was trained as an officer and promoted directly to that rank instead of working up as a line trooper (because the early Indomitus crusade accidentally wiped out half of its leadership due to their habits of leading from the front, and things are going badly) comes upon a group of intercessors who are using enemy blood as war paint and is about to tell them to stop and the Judiciar sees what he's doing and butts in with "That's a perfect use for enemy blood, keep doing that" before the lieutenant can open his stupid newbie mouth.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 10, 2020

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I can’t believe I’m still capable of surprise at how bad Warhammer fiction can be but, well. Here we are.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm reading Eisenhorn for the first time and I almost can't believe how good a 40K book is

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I'm reading Eisenhorn for the first time and I almost can't believe how good a 40K book is

Its one of the few books I'd reccomend to non-40k fans because for genre fiction its really quite good.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I feel like this is yet another places where the Primaris as new guys is getting in the way of things. Like, if the tradition of making every Chaplain-to-be serve as a Judiciar first, and giving him a tempormortis for that, and then taking it away once he's promoted had been started six thousand years ago and the actual details of why the hell things are done that way were just lost to time? Like, we do it because we're a warrior monk brotherhood and that's how it's always been done, shut up?

That'd be fine. It'd be fine! It's the explanation for like three quarters of the stupid poo poo Space Marines get up to already, one more would be fine.

Indomitus is set less than ten years into the Indomitus Crusade. They started doing this less than a decade ago. Someone in the setting, about ten years before the book is set, drew up a revised training schedule for Chaplains and included a step where they have to be Justiciars before they can be full Chaplains, and decided that only the people in the Judiciar step of the chaplain career path should be given the magic hourglasses that slow down enemy time. This isn't presented as the calcified misunderstood conflation of thousands of years of tradition leading to something that looks kinda dumb but whatever, it's how we do things. We have tempormorti now, and we're giving them to the guys with the bandannas over their helmets and only the guys with the bandannas over their helmets.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm trying to put together one of the Necron Warriors from the Indomitus box and how the hell is that head supposed to fit on the body. The little peg on the head absolutely does not fit where the directions say it does. Am I missing something? I'm just going to snip the peg off and glue the head on.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Funzo posted:

I'm trying to put together one of the Necron Warriors from the Indomitus box and how the hell is that head supposed to fit on the body. The little peg on the head absolutely does not fit where the directions say it does. Am I missing something? I'm just going to snip the peg off and glue the head on.

I think the heads are body-specific? Like, each body has two assigned heads, one damaged and one not. Putting the wrong head on won't work.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Its one of the few books I'd reccomend to non-40k fans because for genre fiction its really quite good.

Eisenhorn is really great, I also enjoyed the follow up Ravenor.

The Gaunt's Ghosts novel are also pretty good by and large, thought below Eisenhorn for sure.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Stephenls posted:

I think the heads are body-specific? Like, each body has two assigned heads, one damaged and one not. Putting the wrong head on won't work.

Yeah the assembly instructions give you the option of one of two faces per body and will not fit properly elsewhere.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
My favorite 40k Novel Series is Peter Fehervari's Dark Coil. It's a series of interlocking novels and short stories. Each novel is stand alone, and most of the short stories are too, but there are connections between things that make it really rewarding to read them all. The general recommendation is to start with Fire Caste which is basically 40k Heart of Darkness and if you like it then move on to the short stores and the Cult of the Spiral Dawn, but you could start with the Cult of the Sprial Dawn or Requiem Infernal instead, you just won't know who a few of the characters were previously. .
A big theme of theme of his work is the omnipresence of chaos, while at the same time having a lot less of the actual demons or anything. He also really leans into the whole warp fuckery angle of the setting.

I think besides Fehervari, Abnett is probably the only author I would recommend to someone who wasn't already invested in 40k as a setting.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Stephenls posted:

FFS. I misread the numbers and got the wrong head for that body.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

^burtle posted:

Finished my first Nobz tonight. I took a few shortcuts at the end but I feel like they are a big improvement from the Boyz I posted here before. Please be gentle, my wife has been roasting me all week for being this invested.

Looking good. You're definitely improving, and that's the most important thing. I also really like the color choices you've made here.

The next thing I think you should work on is edge highlighting. A little orange on the edges of the red armor would really help them pop, and you can use the same skill on your marines.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
So I've slowly been working on repainting my guardsmen, actually attempting to edge highlight and freehand paint the Cadia logo and the squad numbers on the shoulder pads.

It's helping improve my skills a lot but by god its boring. I have squad two out of three sat on my desk, half of them done, and half requiring their squad numbers and I decided to take a break from them by starting to paint my new Bullgryns

I decided I liked the fact they had blue-ish armour but wanted it darker to match my army's grey and black fatigues.

I also stripped the paint off my OG Creed model from way back in 2002. Took some real elbow grease to remove paint from 18 years ago, plus several additional layers over the years.

However he's looking significantly less blobby now

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Oh right I never actually wrote that thing about historicity in Warhammer fiction and the way it intersects with discomfort about the Primaris. It came up months ago and I half-composed it in my head but never had time to type it all up. Still don't, but whatever.

I've been reading the Imperial Armor books, so far the Badab War (because everyone says it's the best and also Carcharodons) and Assault on Kastorel-Novem (because Raven Guard). The former is really good! The latter is quite bad. Obviously, the Badab War is good because Alan Bligh knew what he was doing and Kastorel-Novem is bad because Warwick Kinrade isn't up to the task, but structurally a lot of why one works and the other doesn't is that Kastorel-Novem is novelistic and the Badab War books are written like a history. Imperial Armor: The Badab War I and Imperial Armor: The Badab War II are written the way you'd write a two-volume treatise about a military history your readership is already familiar with -- the conceit of the way it's written is that the reader already might know much of this from other sources, and the books are just going into detail, so there's no pretending that events are unfolding, turn the page to find out what happens next. Instead, Bligh creates tension and a sense of rising action over the books by going "You already probably know this part, but I'm not discussing it here, for more details, see volume II" when, in fact, the reader doesn't know that part yet because this isn't really a treatise about an already-well-known military conflict; he's not writing just yet another book about e.g. the Spanish-American war, he's writing the only books about the Badab War.

This is the exact same trick the 30k black books pull. Horus Heresy Book III: Extermination might be the definitive work on the Istvaan V Dropsite Massacre, but it's written like it's just one book on that topic among many and is probably being read by a theoretical far-future audience who learned about it in space future highschool. As a friend of mine put it, ForgeWorld works like this are Chris Warner Osprey Publishing Men-at-Arms-esque faux-historical-nonfiction, complete with the faux-historical livery illustrations, just featuring the colors of the Imperial Fists instead of this or that Napoleonic regiment.

In order for this approach to work, you need access to a subject matter that can be treated historically. Prior to 8th edition, the Imperium was rich with this -- ten thousand years of conflict with fairly static technology to delve into and write fake history about. The mythical, probably-never-to-be-seen-again-and-this-is-why Fires of Cyraxus was going to be an historical treatment of a conflict the Mechanicus was involved in.

It is really difficult to write that kind of material post-8th edition, because there's not enough fake history to write fake-historical fake-nonfiction about. And events prior to the Noctis Aeterna aren't accessible anymore because nobody can write about war zones the Primaris can't fight in.

Also, I think this kind of writing trick, where you entice the audience and keep them interested by casually dropping references to stuff you haven't explained yet and know you haven't explained yet while pretending you're not explaining it because your hypothetical space future audience already know and doesn't need it explained to them, requires a holistic grasp of the setting, and the Primaris Space Marine line is incomplete and GW seems committed to never hinting about the parts that haven't been filled in yet until they're ready to start giving those things marketing pushes. Like, do Primaris get Terminators? Will they ever? We don't know. But I do suspect that if the answer is yes, GW won't even so much as hint at them until they're ready to start ramping up the PR campaign for their model release, and if the answer is no, GW will never, ever hard-confirm that, because a) they might change their mind later and b) if they say there'll never be Primaris terminators then that would make the part of the audience still hoping for them sad, which might, in slightly reducing audience enthusiasm, reduce sales by some non-zero amount. So here's Justiciars, never before mentioned, and their signature gear the tempormortis, never before mentioned, and no material about the Space Marines could say anything about the Primaris Reclusiam that would reveal them early or make it obvious there was a space they were eventually going to fill.

So. It's not just that the Primaris Space Marines are new, it's that their addition to the setting as an unknown, continuously-revealed quantity is unsuited to the context the best Games Workshop material used to occupy, and their existence and the need to push them ensures no material like that can be produced anymore -- and, indeed, such material that was being produced (Cyraxus again) had to be junked because it didn't fit with the new line direction.

On the other hand, it should be possible to produce a faux-history of the Indomitus Crusade, which could be interesting -- we know how that ended, after all. But it would have no room for e.g. the Blood Angels, because they don't show up until the last minute, and until three or five or however many years from now when the Primaris line is conceptually "complete," there's still whole gaps where GW can't write faux-Chris Warner Men-at-Arms books about their spacemans.

And I think people who look at Primaris and go "Ew" probably aren't consciously thinking all those :words: what I just typed, but they are sensing something like them and it's influencing their discomfort.

(EDIT: On the other other hand, there's no reason why the best material GW produces in the future needs to be of the same type as the best material they've produced in the past.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 10, 2020

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I've got a fair amount of extra Space Marines stuff that either doesn't fit with Iron Hands or I have more than I can fit into an army. I'm thinking about revisiting the custom color scheme I came up with a long while ago.

I think I could do a better job of it these days. For one thing, I think a more pastel yellow and lighter bone color would really help it work better (especially with some good white or ivory edge highlighting). Just need to start brainstorming on some fluff for them.

Fun fact: They're based on the color scheme for Bastion from Overwatch, because I was playing a lot of it back in the day and I thought the stormraven looks a lot like his head, so I was going to paint one up that way.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Funzo posted:

FFS. I misread the numbers and got the wrong head for that body.

Even using the right heads I found a few times I was left with gaps between the head halves, so it's a good idea to dry fit them first and saw down the little peg a bit if you need to.

Oh, this is assuming that you're also gluing them together, not just push-fitting them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stephenls posted:

(EDIT: On the other other hand, there's no reason why the best material GW produces in the future needs to be of the same type as the best material they've produced in the past.)

They could split it down the middle and continue a developing narrative with the Primaris line while also having (questionable) historicity for smol marines, other factions in the Imperium and also xenos.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Eej posted:

They could split it down the middle and continue a developing narrative with the Primaris line while also having (questionable) historicity for smol marines, other factions in the Imperium and also xenos.

Arguably, the latter is 30k, just minus the xenos.

(Honestly, 30k is like the next obvious step past the Badab War. Even bigger conflict, even further in the past, also featuring exclusively rival factions of Space Marines, also featuring an ever increasing number of resin tank design, and across mumblemumble books instead of 2.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 10, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was just suggesting xenos because the Tau are the perfect characters for a retrospective on "a series of frontier skirmishes that have led to mildly embarrassing setbacks" as written by some stuffy British Lord who was in India for like 4 months

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Necron Basing Saga: The End?

I think this is what I'm moving forward with. The color palette is still cold but the deep blue complements the magenta without blending together. It also kind of suggests nighttime which I'm enjoying. That being said, I think I over-sprayed the glow effect a bit and I will probably get some of those fancy neon grasses instead of the painted one I used here. Otherwise I'm happy with this.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Not mine but they're fuckin cool. The Khorne crests added to the helmets look familiar but I'm not sure where they're from. That Reiver helmet works.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Uh.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

^burtle posted:

JackMann posted:

Looking good. You're definitely improving, and that's the most important thing. I also really like the color choices you've made here.

The next thing I think you should work on is edge highlighting. A little orange on the edges of the red armor would really help them pop, and you can use the same skill on your marines.

Before that I would quickly apply Agrax Earthshade into recessed areas to add depth to the armour. That makes a far bigger difference than you would expect, and is best applied before any highlighting.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

^burtle posted:

Looking good! But they're looking too good for Orks. Way too clean. You need to get some dirt and oil in there with some washes. And if you can get some pigments, you'll be surprised by how easy it is to improve on that even more by spending 5 more minutes on each mini!

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Ok I downloaded impcat to try out some schemes for my Boyz, but there's like only 9 models loaded, they're mainly for obscure named characters or sex traffickers. How do I get honest boyz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Stephenls posted:

Oh right I never actually wrote that thing about historicity in Warhammer fiction and the way it intersects with discomfort about the Primaris. It came up months ago and I half-composed it in my head but never had time to type it all up. Still don't, but whatever.

I've been reading the Imperial Armor books, so far the Badab War (because everyone says it's the best and also Carcharodons) and Assault on Kastorel-Novem (because Raven Guard). The former is really good! The latter is quite bad. Obviously, the Badab War is good because Alan Bligh knew what he was doing and Kastorel-Novem is bad because Warwick Kinrade isn't up to the task, but structurally a lot of why one works and the other doesn't is that Kastorel-Novem is novelistic and the Badab War books are written like a history. Imperial Armor: The Badab War I and Imperial Armor: The Badab War II are written the way you'd write a two-volume treatise about a military history your readership is already familiar with -- the conceit of the way it's written is that the reader already might know much of this from other sources, and the books are just going into detail, so there's no pretending that events are unfolding, turn the page to find out what happens next. Instead, Bligh creates tension and a sense of rising action over the books by going "You already probably know this part, but I'm not discussing it here, for more details, see volume II" when, in fact, the reader doesn't know that part yet because this isn't really a treatise about an already-well-known military conflict; he's not writing just yet another book about e.g. the Spanish-American war, he's writing the only books about the Badab War.

This is the exact same trick the 30k black books pull. Horus Heresy Book III: Extermination might be the definitive work on the Istvaan V Dropsite Massacre, but it's written like it's just one book on that topic among many and is probably being read by a theoretical far-future audience who learned about it in space future highschool. As a friend of mine put it, ForgeWorld works like this are Chris Warner Osprey Publishing Men-at-Arms-esque faux-historical-nonfiction, complete with the faux-historical livery illustrations, just featuring the colors of the Imperial Fists instead of this or that Napoleonic regiment.

In order for this approach to work, you need access to a subject matter that can be treated historically. Prior to 8th edition, the Imperium was rich with this -- ten thousand years of conflict with fairly static technology to delve into and write fake history about. The mythical, probably-never-to-be-seen-again-and-this-is-why Fires of Cyraxus was going to be an historical treatment of a conflict the Mechanicus was involved in.

It is really difficult to write that kind of material post-8th edition, because there's not enough fake history to write fake-historical fake-nonfiction about. And events prior to the Noctis Aeterna aren't accessible anymore because nobody can write about war zones the Primaris can't fight in.

Also, I think this kind of writing trick, where you entice the audience and keep them interested by casually dropping references to stuff you haven't explained yet and know you haven't explained yet while pretending you're not explaining it because your hypothetical space future audience already know and doesn't need it explained to them, requires a holistic grasp of the setting, and the Primaris Space Marine line is incomplete and GW seems committed to never hinting about the parts that haven't been filled in yet until they're ready to start giving those things marketing pushes. Like, do Primaris get Terminators? Will they ever? We don't know. But I do suspect that if the answer is yes, GW won't even so much as hint at them until they're ready to start ramping up the PR campaign for their model release, and if the answer is no, GW will never, ever hard-confirm that, because a) they might change their mind later and b) if they say there'll never be Primaris terminators then that would make the part of the audience still hoping for them sad, which might, in slightly reducing audience enthusiasm, reduce sales by some non-zero amount. So here's Justiciars, never before mentioned, and their signature gear the tempormortis, never before mentioned, and no material about the Space Marines could say anything about the Primaris Reclusiam that would reveal them early or make it obvious there was a space they were eventually going to fill.

So. It's not just that the Primaris Space Marines are new, it's that their addition to the setting as an unknown, continuously-revealed quantity is unsuited to the context the best Games Workshop material used to occupy, and their existence and the need to push them ensures no material like that can be produced anymore -- and, indeed, such material that was being produced (Cyraxus again) had to be junked because it didn't fit with the new line direction.

On the other hand, it should be possible to produce a faux-history of the Indomitus Crusade, which could be interesting -- we know how that ended, after all. But it would have no room for e.g. the Blood Angels, because they don't show up until the last minute, and until three or five or however many years from now when the Primaris line is conceptually "complete," there's still whole gaps where GW can't write faux-Chris Warner Men-at-Arms books about their spacemans.

And I think people who look at Primaris and go "Ew" probably aren't consciously thinking all those :words: what I just typed, but they are sensing something like them and it's influencing their discomfort.

You often write a lot of words but this screed is good and really interesting. I hadn’t thought of it like this and I find it convincing.