Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Don’t forget that she was also his spymaster, and thus helped him murder two brothers and an infant nephew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lurksion posted:

Stolen from google

drat, those are some incredibly mediocre stats for a world historical figure

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ilitarist posted:

Also hope that Muhammad is now a 3D floating shiny word.

I've been secretly hoping for this and that it also somehow fucks something up with genetics and there's a bug where people with the Sayyid trait sometimes appear as a person with beard, clothes, accoutrements, etc, contorted into a floating glyph.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Best Friends posted:

I think that's an older screenshot, I believe they buffed him later. Also, how can somebody with Mastermind Theologian (+9), Ambitious, (+2), Mystic (+2) and Patient (+1) only have 10 learning, when the traits added together give 14, even with a zero in base learning?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I think that's an older screenshot, I believe they buffed him later. Also, how can somebody with Mastermind Theologian (+9), Ambitious, (+2), Mystic (+2) and Patient (+1) only have 10 learning, when the traits added together give 14, even with a zero in base learning?
That's how you know it's a very old screenshot. In early versions of CK2 dead people only had their base stats displayed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Best Friends posted:

He got lucky!!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Not a lot of new stuff here except that there's several types of northern European elective you can adopt instead of just tanistry, which is neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWbFgPKt3o

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 7, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It could be that cultural/regional succession laws will be a decent stopgap between Partition succession and Single Heir succession. I wonder how many decision-based/unique succession styles will be available in the base game? And I'm sure mods will add a ton more if it's easy to do so.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lurksion posted:

Stolen from google

Disrespectful to give him such low stats

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Sindai posted:

Not a lot of new stuff here except that there's several types of northern European elective you can adopt instead of just tanistry, which is neat.

That's pretty cool. I wonder if the rota system will be available for the Rus principalities.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Sindai posted:

quote:

* You are killed by King Conchobar
* You lose 25 opinion of King Conchobar for 20 years

lol

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

The ability to have unique succession laws for duchies (rather than just kingdoms+) is new, isn't it? Might have some good inheritance clusterfuck potential, there.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pigbuster posted:

The ability to have unique succession laws for duchies (rather than just kingdoms+) is new, isn't it? Might have some good inheritance clusterfuck potential, there.

It was possible in CK2. I had a memorable game where all my empire’s duchies were Agnatic Gavelkind carefully parcelled out to dynasty, and my empire was Enatic Elective. All the dukes in the realm were scheming to get their wives and daughters elected.

What you couldn’t do was manually change your own personal duchies’ succession laws if you were already a monarch, so that’s new.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What's the easiest Monarch Journey that isn't boring?

I already did Harald but I've tried a few others and given up

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

FreudianSlippers posted:

FWIW if you just want the cosmetics for the new game, Paradox have confirmed that they will be made available for free at some point post-launch, so no need to force yourself through the MJs if they aren't appealing to you.

That said I'm genuinely surprised that no one has tried just sharing save files where the challenges have been or will imminently be completed and seeing if that works. Also, while I'm at it, genuinely surprised that only one person in that thread seems to have lost their ability to feel human from that CM response.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like most of them I just keep getting far into them and then loving up or getting hosed over by circumstances and then, because I'm a dumb dumb who plays these like Ironman, I can't reload.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
is anyone planning to play this on Mac and if so what make and model?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

The recent Lithuanian one, the three points for being Christian while having all of de jure Lithuania is kind of a pain to get all the territory, but after that the rest of the twelve available points is a complete gimmie.

Also the first one in France is pretty easy but also pretty boring.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

King Basarab of Wallachia was pretty fun. The goals are to give your relatives a ton of duchies (I gave up after bronze because my idiot relatives kept dying and/or marrying non-matrilineally and thus losing the titles to schlubs, but if you pay attention more than me it shouldn't be hard), to murder a bunch of people as an Impaler (intrigue focus will get you Impaler in short order and then you can just execute people), and to have castles in your realm, the numbers for which are so low that you get silver just for starting the game. You start pretty small, but there are some weak neighbors you can eat, and I married my way into a claim on Bulgaria and then pressed it. On the other hand, the Golden Horde is right next door and owns half of de jure Wallachia, so life isn't boring. I eventually had Basarab's granddaughter switch to Catholicism and beat the Horde in a crusade for Poland.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Reveilled posted:

What you couldn’t do was manually change your own personal duchies’ succession laws if you were already a monarch, so that’s new.

That's what I took away yeah, I hope the AI isn't doing it all the time and making their own inheritance into clusterfucks. More than usual, I mean. It'd also be a bit weird since in CK2 the capital duchy always went to the primary heir in a kingdom, so it made sense for it to override duchy-level succession laws.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Watched that dev stream from a few days ago, the interface will take some getting used to but I think it's going to be a great game.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

is anyone planning to play this on Mac and if so what make and model?

I play ck2 on my 2017 Macbook Pro (and my 2013 Macbook Air before that), and I'm sure I'll play CK3 on it. It doesn't quite meet the minimum requirements, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Randaconda posted:

Breeding ubermenschs is an old CK tradition.

I got stong, genius, attractive one time :yaycloud:

I have done this many times over my 15k hours of CK2. Its the gold standard of the people breeding simulator aspect of the game.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Watched that dev stream from a few days ago, the interface will take some getting used to but I think it's going to be a great game.

I play ck2 on my 2017 Macbook Pro (and my 2013 Macbook Air before that), and I'm sure I'll play CK3 on it. It doesn't quite meet the minimum requirements, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Cool, I appreciate the reply. Those specs look pretty similar to my 2012 Mac mini so I may actually do okay. I asked the same question on Reddit and was hit with a bunch of replies about some kind of remote play service which doesn’t seem worth it for a top down strategy game.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Are characters that have joined the satanists more likely to get sick and die? Any time I join the society of hel, my character is dead within a year. It's consistent enough that it seems like its by design?

Good thing my ruler 5 dudes ago had a ton of kids, they are dropping like flies.

Edit: How do I see what inheritance is at the duchy level? And how do I change that? My kingdom has elective at the king level, but apparently its gavelkind below that since all my loving counties are gone now.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 9, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demon_Corsair posted:

Are characters that have joined the satanists more likely to get sick and die? Any time I join the society of hel, my character is dead within a year. It's consistent enough that it seems like its by design?

Good thing my ruler 5 dudes ago had a ton of kids, they are dropping like flies.

Edit: How do I see what inheritance is at the duchy level? And how do I change that? My kingdom has elective at the king level, but apparently its gavelkind below that since all my loving counties are gone now.

Yes, Satanists suffer from poor health the more they use satanic powers - this is an intended mechanic to balance out how powerful they are. It's why one of the abilities you get is to eat one of your own children for a health boost. You'll need it!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes, Satanists suffer from poor health the more they use satanic powers - this is an intended mechanic to balance out how powerful they are. It's why one of the abilities you get is to eat one of your own children for a health boost. You'll need it!

No one has survived that long. The longest I made it was to get to level 2. He never got enough power to use any of those abilities before he kicked it.

I'm so over this game. The world has 4 super powers. Me in Scandinavia who owns northern Germany, some distant relatives in Britannia who own northern France, a huge Muslim Hispania that owns Spain, North Africa, southern France and central Germany, and a terrifying Bulgaria, that owns Eastern Europe, Italy and eastern Germany.

The power blocks are so huge, the thought of war is exhausting. So I'm just trying to run out the clock so I can get the achievement from playing from the viking start until the end of the game.

Although, if I get one more dead king in this 15 year period, its gonna be game over. No one has lived long enough to pop out any kings in this death spiral.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

DrPop posted:

That's pretty cool. I wonder if the rota system will be available for the Rus principalities.

Rota! Rota! Rota! This has been on my ck3 wish list forever. Really hope it's in.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demon_Corsair posted:

No one has survived that long. The longest I made it was to get to level 2. He never got enough power to use any of those abilities before he kicked it.

I'm so over this game. The world has 4 super powers. Me in Scandinavia who owns northern Germany, some distant relatives in Britannia who own northern France, a huge Muslim Hispania that owns Spain, North Africa, southern France and central Germany, and a terrifying Bulgaria, that owns Eastern Europe, Italy and eastern Germany.

The power blocks are so huge, the thought of war is exhausting. So I'm just trying to run out the clock so I can get the achievement from playing from the viking start until the end of the game.

Although, if I get one more dead king in this 15 year period, its gonna be game over. No one has lived long enough to pop out any kings in this death spiral.

The other possibility is that other satanists are targeting you with tainted touch, which can also be an issue, especially in a large realm. It might be more helpful to spend a generation as a non-satanist and have your court chaplain hunt heretics to clear some of them out (or as a satanist yourself start proactively assassinating other satanists in your realm since you'll have a big list of all of them available).

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

I think you can hover over any title’s shield to see the succession type and line of succession.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The other possibility is that other satanists are targeting you with tainted touch, which can also be an issue, especially in a large realm. It might be more helpful to spend a generation as a non-satanist and have your court chaplain hunt heretics to clear some of them out (or as a satanist yourself start proactively assassinating other satanists in your realm since you'll have a big list of all of them available).

yeah being a satanist is one of those things like being a merchant republic where you may as well go total loving bastard because being a halfass sort of nice bastard is just going to get you killed

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
by the time i hit emperor i pretty much have a satan-hunting campaign going on full time. if you suck satan's cocks, i'm puttin' you in a box.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Late on this but the UI redesign looks fantastic. CK3? Folks, it looks pretty good.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

luxury handset posted:

yeah being a satanist is one of those things like being a merchant republic where you may as well go total loving bastard because being a halfass sort of nice bastard is just going to get you killed

Merchant: invite everyone under 20 to court and sleep with them. Pick out your genius heir, marry all of your dummy half-brothers, seduce again, etc. I found out that there’s a max of 100 trading posts this way. 7xx-end game as Venice, 250k in the bank at all times, take over Italy, found the Holy Roman Empire. Best game I ever played.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Tried again since he was already in the fellowship of hel when he inherited.

I set a new record. I got to use a level 2 ability once to do a mission before he died.

Seems kind of broken to me. I think that's probably the 5th time I have tried this run, and they are all dead within 5 years of joining.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I tried the monarch challenge with the horny doux in Byzantium. Never played a Bz game before.

Having a bunch of kids: extremely easy.

Getting king titles (presumably via getting elected emperor): I'm at a complete loss.

What's the path to getting on the throne as a non-exceptional dude who wasn't born in the purple?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

FWIW if you just want the cosmetics for the new game, Paradox have confirmed that they will be made available for free at some point post-launch, so no need to force yourself through the MJs if they aren't appealing to you.

Oh. That's oddly disappointing. Especially with 2 now free. Well, there goes a fair few hours I wouldn't have otherwise spent.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Best Friends posted:

What's the path to getting on the throne as a non-exceptional dude who wasn't born in the purple?
become a commander so you become eligible, suck up to electors using Sway, Carouse, or any other trick you can manage, and stab anyone who is more popular than you.

the instant you're the favorite, stab the emperor.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Who/what is Glitterhoof :confused:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
A trusted advisor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

Who/what is Glitterhoof :confused:

under the right circumstances (conclave dlc, supernatural events enabled, and your character is a lunatic) you can appoint a horse as an advisor. this horse is glitterhoof and they are wonderful and they are the precursor to all horse based shenanigans in the game