Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

I feel real bad for a friend who moved to Utah to work for ancestry dot com a year or so ago, and hope they survive the inevitable employee purge as the company is asset stripped.
The only assets Black Rock is interested in is all that genetic data, probably for selling to governments and the American health insurance industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGWZpKYYc_Y

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
just FYI ancestry got bought by Blackstone and not BlackRock.

https://www.economist.com/business/2018/01/13/blackrock-v-blackstone

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Do they go out of their way to pick names that sound like evil organisations, or is it just coincidence?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Grey Hunter posted:

Do they go out of their way to pick names that sound like evil organisations, or is it just coincidence?
Writers got lazy in the later seasons, why else would you make a corporation devoted to monitoring civilians and lead by a white supremacist called "Palantir?"

I get the feeling we're just secondary characters in a DnD campaign where an increasingly frustrated DM is trying to signpost how demonstrable evil something is, but the party is 100% on board with their ethos.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Grey Hunter posted:

"gently caress you. Regards, Grom Hellscream"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Grey Hunter posted:

My last job was briefly working with a company called "black dragon capital" so I think they're just openly evil. Why wouldn't they be, their behavior is glorified by so many

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sestze posted:

Writers got lazy in the later seasons, why else would you make a corporation devoted to monitoring civilians and lead by a white supremacist called "Palantir?"

I get the feeling we're just secondary characters in a DnD campaign where an increasingly frustrated DM is trying to signpost how demonstrable evil something is, but the party is 100% on board with their ethos.
I remember watching Captain Planet and thinking no one could really be as bad as those villains.

It turns out they didn't go far enough.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It's ironic, they know how they're viewed and play into it despite ultimately believing themselves to be a necessary and integral part of the economy.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Reacher Guilt, CEO

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was going to joke about John Guilt but they literally did that 50 years ago

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

apropos of nothing did y’all know one of the proposals to mitigate global warming is just keep shooting a shitload of sulfur into the atmosphere to make a cooling effect and also cause widespread acid rain, destroy ozone, and change the color of the sky

Has anyone written a novel yet where the Global South desperately tries this plan to stave off climate-change-induced crop failures, and America bombs the gently caress out of them to make them stop?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Media Bloodbath posted:

just FYI ancestry got bought by Blackstone and not BlackRock.

Can't wait until they decide this means their sub-corporations are officially Black-owned businesses.

(Hashtag BlackOpsMatter)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Chamale posted:

Has anyone written a novel yet where the Global South desperately tries this plan to stave off climate-change-induced crop failures, and America bombs the gently caress out of them to make them stop?

idk but futurama may have already had the most accurate prediction, global warming gets balanced out by nuclear winter

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Corporations of Color

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Chamale posted:

God I hate this term. It is invariably used by people who think the world just gets hotter the more south you go

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

exmachina posted:

God I hate this term. It is invariably used by people who think the world just gets hotter the more south you go

that isn't what the term means at all

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

exmachina posted:

The Global South is a more accurate way of saying something like "less-industrialized countries", like the outdated term "The Third World", hth

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
And every map that tries to show how northern countries are more developed/advanced/whatever than southern countries just goes "Australia? New Zealand? Never heard of them"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
australia and new zealand are just colonial outposts and don't count

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
seems like it’s probably a bad idea to explicitly identify a nation’s level of socioeconomic development with a fundamental and unchangable geographic property?

(ofc as an american i am already primed to associate poverty and exploitation with the south)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sure, if you assume those descriptors to be unchanging forever. They're meant to identify a problem - if there's a demographic in your city that's poorer on average thanks to systemic oppression, you're allowed to describe it as such. This is the same on a different scale

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

seems like it’s probably a bad idea to explicitly identify a nation’s level of socioeconomic development with a fundamental and unchangable geographic property?

(ofc as an american i am already primed to associate poverty and exploitation with the south)

the point of "global" in "global south" is that it doesn't do that hth

the correct term, of course, is "victims of (neo)imperialism" but that's too scary and makes students feel bad.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

exmachina posted:

lol what ??

it has literally nothing, zero, to do with actual geography beyond coincidental arrangements

it's a term that was more or less developed as the natural opposition to the US/NATO sociopolitical apparatchiks "the global west" and/or "north" so if it bothers you go like yell at the pentagon or the NED office on K street or something

HiroProtagonist has issued a correction as of 03:22 on Aug 10, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chamale posted:

The Global South is a more accurate way of saying something like "less-industrialized countries", like the outdated term "The Third World", hth

“The Global South” isn’t going to inject sulphur into the upper atmosphere and get bombed for it because “the Global South” isn’t one nation. It’s a colonialist mindset to treat them all together.

hth

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Platystemon posted:

“The Global South” isn’t going to inject sulphur into the upper atmosphere and get bombed for it because “the Global South” isn’t one nation. It’s a colonialist mindset to treat them all together.

hth

ah yes, solidarity is now colonialism :jerkbag:

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

As long as we all agree that someone will try some geo-engineering and get bombed to poo poo over it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There are heaps of different ways of saying the same thing. First world/third world, developed/developing, MEDCs/LEDCs, global North/global South, etc etc. They're all just shades of meaning on the same concept and there's literally no way to divide the world into those two distinct groups that doesn't heavily stigmatise one, other than MAYBE "colonisers" and "victims of colonialism".

They can still be useful terms to use, because history has treated the world in somewhat of a binary like that, and as of a few years ago Global North and Global South were the preferred terms because at the very least the language involved isn't stigmatising or labelling one as lesser.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redleader posted:

australia and new zealand are just colonial outposts and don't count

Hey we can count. Who saying we don't know how to count? All god drat lies!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bike tory posted:

There are heaps of different ways of saying the same thing. First world/third world, developed/developing, MEDCs/LEDCs, global North/global South, etc etc. They're all just shades of meaning on the same concept and there's literally no way to divide the world into those two distinct groups that doesn't heavily stigmatise one, other than MAYBE "colonisers" and "victims of colonialism".

They can still be useful terms to use, because history has treated the world in somewhat of a binary like that, and as of a few years ago Global North and Global South were the preferred terms because at the very least the language involved isn't stigmatising or labelling one as lesser.

yes, "colonizers" and "colonized"/"victims of colonialism" are the correct terms and the global south/global north (/west) are just synonyms made up by people (aka thinktanks and OAS, school of americas, etc.) who don't want to invoke the legacy for colonialism as their reason for grouping things accordingly.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

HiroProtagonist posted:

yes, "colonizers" and "colonized"/"victims of colonialism" are the correct terms and the global south/global north (/west) are just synonyms made up by people (aka thinktanks and OAS, school of americas, etc.) who don't want to invoke the legacy for colonialism as their reason for grouping things accordingly.

You do realize that you could say that "XXX"/"YYY" are the correct terms and that "colonizers" and "colonized"/"victims of colonialism" are just synonyms made up by people (aka thinktanks and OAS, school of americas, etc.) who want to deprive countries of any identity independent of exploitation, etc? Global South is a flawed term and every term like Developing World/LDC/G77/G134/NAM/Third World is flawed too because they are all too simplistic, but sometimes people need to communicate simplified ideas without reciting the entirety of Settlers mid-sentence.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
global South isn’t a flawed term, it’s vague to the point of uselessness.

kind of like the west really

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

colonisers/victims is also an insanely vague binary that any even mildly skilled internet pedant could easily undermine

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
just talk about countries individually. It’s rarely useful to talk about them in groups anyway

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

colonisers/victims is also an insanely vague binary that any even mildly skilled internet pedant could easily undermine

Ok, but not if you live in the world that the rest of us do that is an inheritance of European colonization

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Isn't "the global south" just a rebranding of "the southern hemisphere"? Is hemisphere too big a word for 2020?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's a dog whistle

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Isn't "the global south" just a rebranding of "the southern hemisphere"? Is hemisphere too big a word for 2020?

No, its trying to say "third world" without saying third world.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CharlestheHammer posted:

just talk about countries individually. It’s rarely useful to talk about them in groups anyway

I *knew* memorizing that Animaniacs song would come in handy someday! Didn't expect to recite big chunks of it every few sentences of a policy discussion though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x88Z5txBc7w&t=10s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

taqueso posted:

It's a dog whistle

hobbesmaster posted:

No, its trying to say "third world" without saying third world.

Ah, I see. Perhaps we should take a note from Trump and just refer to them as the "Shithole Countries". It's rude, but it's pretty much what people mean when they use "third world" these days.