Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

that's rad, I've listened to the F plus off and on for a few years now and never knew this. alltalk servers were definitely a great part of TF2's community with everyone being able to yell at the entire server at once and no way to communicate without the other team hearing it

The brilliant thing about alltalk is that tryhards can't shittalk their own teammates without being laughed at by the opposing team, so if someone wants to shittalk they need to do it to their opponents, who can kill them in retaliation; a much more entertaining dynamic. It's the perfect example of how focusing your game too much on e-sports competitiveness will always result in a miserable wasteland of endless whiners.

The downside is having twice the chance of a real fucko in voicechat, though, especially if your voice isn't bog-standard-white-male-gamer. But in casual servers you feel no obligation to stick around with assholes for the sake of your MMR so you can just leave!

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What’s the state of Planetside 2 these days, anyhow? I was last playing it about five years ago and, as someone who came up on Battlefield 2142, I loved the gamefeel, everything was just right.

The only thing I didn’t enjoy was getting pushed around by huge blobs of clan players; the metagame was kind of insipid and I found myself wishing that there were just smaller map, 64player servers, but so long as you didn’t get foolishly attached to a hunk of land and remained fluid it was the best FPS around.

Are MAXes still dominating the game? Are biolabs fun yet?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anonymous Robot posted:

What’s the state of Planetside 2 these days, anyhow? I was last playing it about five years ago and, as someone who came up on Battlefield 2142, I loved the gamefeel, everything was just right.

The only thing I didn’t enjoy was getting pushed around by huge blobs of clan players; the metagame was kind of insipid and I found myself wishing that there were just smaller map, 64player servers, but so long as you didn’t get foolishly attached to a hunk of land and remained fluid it was the best FPS around.

I think it had a resurgence recently when they added in flying fortresses, no clue if that stuck tho. I'd be surprised if it changed from blobfights and backcaps since attrition is kind of the name of the game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

In AssCreed:Odyssey, are the Cultists "laid out" in order by level or anything like that? I'm maybe somewhere around level 25-29, I've done most of the 2 top-left branches but the last guy in that branch is like fuckin' level 45 or something.

I just want to grind them to get my Level 5 Spear so I can max out my poison skills :( Should I just plug on through the story?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 9, 2020

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

Post-Void is now one of the top games of 2020 in my mind. I've beaten it twice now and yet I still keep coming back for more.

I wish I could pin it to my Recently Played list solely because of the art:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

In AssCreed:Odyssey, are the Cultists "laid out" in order by level or anything like that? I'm maybe somewhere around level 25-29, I've done most of the 2 top-left branches but the last guy in that branch is like fuckin' level 45 or something.

I just want to grind them to get my Level 5 Spear so I can max out my poison skills :( Should I just plug on through the story?

I'm doing the same thing for the same reason. So many upgrades that I can't max out :ohdear: I'm not actually too sure how the levels work but I've been having some success just working on a different cultist if I have one that's too high level then coming back later. It took me a while to realize that it's giving you hints how to "discover" them.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
If I want to jam on some Guilty Gear next time Fanatical has a bundle, I just really need the latest release unless I want to see cutscenes?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Irritated Goat posted:

If I want to jam on some Guilty Gear next time Fanatical has a bundle, I just really need the latest release unless I want to see cutscenes?

You are in luck: the full package of the latest revision with all DLC characters is on sale.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

I'm doing the same thing for the same reason. So many upgrades that I can't max out :ohdear: I'm not actually too sure how the levels work but I've been having some success just working on a different cultist if I have one that's too high level then coming back later. It took me a while to realize that it's giving you hints how to "discover" them.

Yea I kind of move around once I realized "Oh I cannot complete this branch now" but I'm having a hard time finding clues.

https://www.powerpyx.com/assassins-creed-odyssey-all-cultist-locations/ This website seems have a pretty good guide, but the images are loving tiny.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

I’m possibly insane for playing for the story but thanks!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

That sounds amazing, and thanks for sharing all of that. It definitely feels like the kind of experience that comes with having been there and seen it develop. Most of the stuff you say requires having experienced the game before that even becomes significant.

I'll fart around with it and see if it grabs me, but it probably won't.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Sab669 posted:

Yea I kind of move around once I realized "Oh I cannot complete this branch now" but I'm having a hard time finding clues.

https://www.powerpyx.com/assassins-creed-odyssey-all-cultist-locations/ This website seems have a pretty good guide, but the images are loving tiny.
I wouldn't read this guide since from what I know and have played, it'll likely ruin a few story surprises. Just relax and find them as you go: some are tied to the main quest, some are random/found through clues scattered around in camps, some are at sea (look for unique sail designs), etc...

Once you hit level 50 you can take on literally anyone (at least on Hard)....except for another thing that's mostly unrelated and I'm not going to ruin.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

credburn posted:

That sounds amazing, and thanks for sharing all of that. It definitely feels like the kind of experience that comes with having been there and seen it develop. Most of the stuff you say requires having experienced the game before that even becomes significant.

I'll fart around with it and see if it grabs me, but it probably won't.

As a final note, if you unbind the voice chat key and type "voice_enable 0" in the console you can disable voice chat entirely. You can still use the character barks for basic communication. Much as I enjoy the game, that's made the last few years much more tolerable.

Unrelatedly, did anyone ever play Saints Row 3 Remastered and have impressions? I only just remembered that it came out but nobody seems to bring it up.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

As a final note, if you unbind the voice chat key and type "voice_enable 0" in the console you can disable voice chat entirely. You can still use the character barks for basic communication. Much as I enjoy the game, that's made the last few years much more tolerable.

Unrelatedly, did anyone ever play Saints Row 3 Remastered and have impressions? I only just remembered that it came out but nobody seems to bring it up.

It's languishing on the Epic store so I think most people are biding their time on it.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I ran into a really obnoxious bug in Doom (2016).

A window popped up during a firefight saying that Doom has crashed, you can fill this out for a bug report. I was like, ah man that sucks. Then I noticed the Doom application was still running. I tabbed back into the game and... it was fine? So I just kept playing for like two hours.

But none of my progress after that quasi-crash got saved. So today I had to replay about 2 hours' worth of the game to get back to where I was.

Known issue?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Gods loving all drat hell, I just want to bitch about something.

I'm playing Hitman 1 (thanks for the advice you guys gave on getting it working and not crashing and other questions I had) and I'm trying to get this challenge "In Plain Sight" which requires Mr. Fortyseven to trigger the fireworks display and kill both targets within ten seconds of each other without being spotted using a sniper rifle.

So I do it. Trigger fireworks, then when they come out to check it out I go bambam, like maybe two seconds between them. Then I run away and escape. But it doesn't say I beat the challenge, and it doesn't tell me like what I did wrong.

I'm not spotted, but when I shoot the sniper rifle, it does say "SEARCHING..." like the guards are investigating the sound. But they don't recognize me as a villain so I don't think that counts as "being spotted" but gently caress god dammit I've been at this for a while and it's really frustrating me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

credburn posted:

I'm playing Hitman 1 (thanks for the advice you guys gave on getting it working and not crashing and other questions I had) and I'm trying to get this challenge "In Plain Sight" which requires Mr. Fortyseven to trigger the fireworks display and kill both targets within ten seconds of each other without being spotted using a sniper rifle.

So I do it. Trigger fireworks, then when they come out to check it out I go bambam, like maybe two seconds between them. Then I run away and escape. But it doesn't say I beat the challenge, and it doesn't tell me like what I did wrong.

I'm not spotted, but when I shoot the sniper rifle, it does say "SEARCHING..." like the guards are investigating the sound. But they don't recognize me as a villain so I don't think that counts as "being spotted" but gently caress god dammit I've been at this for a while and it's really frustrating me.

to quote the walkthrough:

8. Once you’re at the top of the tower, sight up the balcony and the courtyard below. Trigger the fireworks. Dahlia will be first out, onto the balcony – don’t shoot her! Wait for Victor to also come out on the courtyard directly below her. Dahlia will move to the edge of the balcony and at this point Victor will be directly below her. At this point, quickly pop them both with the sniper.
9. Guards will recognize the location of the shooter, so either get out of there fast or find a hiding place for when they arrive. Escape and that challenge is complete!

https://www.vg247.com/2019/02/04/hi...20each%20other.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
don't HZD and Death Stranding run on the same engine? a lot of people (me included) had bizarre performance issues with DS, despite our systems being at least at recommended sys reqs, and with none of the tweaks doing much. similarly lots of people had the game run flawlessly, or even better than it was supposed to. my point is that it might be a case of a console exclusive studio just really not being able to program for a million different hardware configs, or having the knowledge of how to QA that. it's a big title so they'll probably at least put some work in to fix it, but if you have a cursed machine you might just be SOL.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

don't HZD and Death Stranding run on the same engine?

Yeah they do.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

credburn posted:

Beyond StrixNebulosa's advice that guards will make their way to where you shot from, know that the very first sniper rifle you unlock is terrible. No silencer, barely any zoom. It is much easier to do sniper related challenges once you get a Sieger rifle.

If you own the Legacy GOTY Edition you have access to Cheveyo Calibration escalation on A House Built on Sand. You can find that via Destinations > Marrakesh and then the final box on the right. Completing that will unlock the Sieger Ghost, the best sniper rifle in the game.
If you just have the Legacy Pack then it will taks a while to get a Sieger. There is one unlocked at Colorado mastery level 15 and another at Hokkaido mastery level 20.

Million Ghosts posted:

don't HZD and Death Stranding run on the same engine? a lot of people (me included) had bizarre performance issues with DS, despite our systems being at least at recommended sys reqs, and with none of the tweaks doing much. similarly lots of people had the game run flawlessly, or even better than it was supposed to. my point is that it might be a case of a console exclusive studio just really not being able to program for a million different hardware configs, or having the knowledge of how to QA that. it's a big title so they'll probably at least put some work in to fix it, but if you have a cursed machine you might just be SOL.

The difference is that Death Stranding was made with a PC version in mind. HZD's port is an afterthought, something that was decided on long after the game came out. I also think one port was made by the original developers (DS) and the other definitely was not (HZD).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 10, 2020

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

also wasn't the significant problem with DS due to a driver bug in 20x cards and fixed outside the game ?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sab669 posted:

Some cultists you can get to almost immediately, a few are hidden behind main story quests, some you can just randomly kill by stabbing people in the street before you even find out who they are. Chances are if there's a big sidequest chain or large fort on the island, it's going to result in finding a cultist.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, what exactly about Yakuza Kiwami do people keep suggesting you skip it for? I'm 4 hours in and aside from combat being not as great it seems exactly like Yakuza 0 in all the ways that matter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

pentyne posted:

So, what exactly about Yakuza Kiwami do people keep suggesting you skip it for? I'm 4 hours in and aside from combat being not as great it seems exactly like Yakuza 0 in all the ways that matter.

It's just burnout. The game feels like an expansion to people who just came out of 0, without them realizing it's one of the more important games, lore-wise.

The only bad thing in Kiwami are the side quests. As the first game in the series, they hadn't found their footing on that aspect yet.

edit: oh, and the regenerating health bosses, 'cause that poo poo sucks bad. You should prioritize any skill upgrade that deals with it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 10, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a remake of the first game in a long-running series, with all the weaknesses that implies. It's why I suggested once that if you're going to play it, you're better off playing it first, simply so that it looks better by comparison.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

It's just burnout. The game feels like an expansion to people who just came out of 0, without them realizing it's one of the more important games, lore-wise.

The only bad thing in Kiwami are the side quests. As the first game in the series, they hadn't found their footing on that aspect yet.

edit: oh, and the regenerating health bosses, 'cause that poo poo sucks bad. You should prioritize any skill upgrade that deals with it.

The side quests are a bit odd but I found a series of them that give you 10-15 exp levels each encounter right off the bat so you can very quickly level up your skills.

Many others have been almost entirely flavor text or kind of zany for the sake of it but I am absolutely going to 100% any of the pocket racer content.

The CP skills seem way underdeveloped too, the battle skills are all expensive and just unlock items? while the regular skills are all the insanely useful things like item finders, increased dash time, and eat when full.

I guess I could finally learn how to play majong and shogi, that could make it more fun.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Anonymous Robot posted:

Overall it's more or less the same, you either solo with the zergs, or do some fun stuff with an outfit instead. Unless totally diving into it again, I think solo experience will still be less fun except for the occasional farming.

I recently joined up with a few EU players and had tons of fun for an evening, most of them still playing frequently so having all the necessary ressources.

Biolabs got like 3+ overhauls and can be gone much faster as before. Dunno about MAX units, but they've been nerfed a long time ago so putting up 3 FLAK MAX units doesn't result in complete air denial anymore.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

I wouldn't read this guide since from what I know and have played, it'll likely ruin a few story surprises. Just relax and find them as you go: some are tied to the main quest, some are random/found through clues scattered around in camps, some are at sea (look for unique sail designs), etc...

Once you hit level 50 you can take on literally anyone (at least on Hard)....except for another thing that's mostly unrelated and I'm not going to ruin.

Fortunately IDGAF about story :v: I don't even know what the story is, (spoilers I guess??) My brother leads a cult so therefore I guess I need to go find my mom? OK, I don't care, just let me stabbity stab dudes

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I just got a refund approved on a game I bought during the sale but only installed last week. It was topping out at 10 fps. So I'm just going to buy it on my recently acquired PS4 instead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zetsubou-san posted:

I just got a refund approved on a game I bought during the sale but only installed last week. It was topping out at 10 fps. So I'm just going to buy it on my recently acquired PS4 instead.

What game was that?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Anyone buy a gift of Lobotomy Corp while it was on sale? I thought it would be on until the sales switched over today.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You can't buy gift copies to save on Steam any more.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/551620/view/2755593078928295795

Approaching Infinity sells better for 10$ on steam instead of for 40$ on some random publisher website, who knew?

Finally! I kept checking every few months or so if he managed to save his game from Shrapnel's clutches. Seriously, gently caress that company.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Blattdorf posted:

Post-Void is now one of the top games of 2020 in my mind. I've beaten it twice now and yet I still keep coming back for more.

https://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/post-void-residual-test

:hmmyes:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey, oddly specific question: Has anyone used their tablet/phone for Steam's in-house streaming? Was thinking that it may work really well for 4X/XCOM type of games depending on the control implementation, but after googling a bit I'm not finding a lot of info. Steam does seem to have an "optimised for tablet remote play" section, but the first 4 'most popular' hits are CSGO, PUBG, DTAV and Siege, which... huh?!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hey, oddly specific question: Has anyone used their tablet/phone for Steam's in-house streaming? Was thinking that it may work really well for 4X/XCOM type of games depending on the control implementation, but after googling a bit I'm not finding a lot of info. Steam does seem to have an "optimised for tablet remote play" section, but the first 4 'most popular' hits are CSGO, PUBG, DTAV and Siege, which... huh?!
I've used my own Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for it, do you have any specific questions? It basically does the same thing as Steam Remote Play: you run the game on your PC and the tablet will show you what is happening and take your input. I was able to hook up my Steam Controller through bluetooth very painlessly. It worked rather wonkily because my wifi used to be hot garbage, but I've substantially upgraded since and I imagine it would work fairly decently these days. Wasn't great when I tried to use it to stream Asscreed Odyssey between my PC and my laptop, but like with many types of game streaming, it just works better when there isn't a lot of fast and frantic movement. For slower-paced strategy games, it's pretty solid.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cardiovorax posted:

I've used my own Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for it, do you have any specific questions? It basically does the same thing as Steam Remote Play: you run the game on your PC and the tablet will show you what is happening and take your input. I was able to hook up my Steam Controller through bluetooth very painlessly. It worked rather wonkily because my wifi used to be hot garbage, but I've substantially upgraded since and I imagine it would work fairly decently these days. Wasn't great when I tried to use it to stream Asscreed Odyssey between my PC and my laptop, but like with many types of game streaming, it just works better when there isn't a lot of fast and frantic movement. For slower-paced strategy games, it's pretty solid.

Yeah, could have explained what I meant better. I was wondering how the touch controls worked with stuff like XCOM/4X, for some reason was expecting to be able to just... tap on the screen to select units, use menus and stuff? But it looks like it's just a controller overlay you use instead. May look into hooking up a controller to it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's sadly not a full tablet mode for games, it's just a remote display for what you have working on your regular PC. You will need to live with it either running an on-screen emulation of standard controls or hook up bluetooth peripherals. I don't have any bluetooth keyboards or mice, so I have no idea it would accept those... but hey, it might.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What game was that?

Death end re;Quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay Chronicon is pretty cool, I'm giving enemies diseases so hard their blood hops out to help kill them and their friends.