Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

captkirk posted:

What's even the point of HSFP? Just faster route to permanent resident? From what I can tell you still need a sponsoring org and the visa is tied to the sponsor so if you quit/get fired you have to immediately transition to a different visa type.

Working in an industry where the majority of foreigners I work with are on that visa, it seems mostly like its purpose is as a fast track for specific kinds of employers to be able to pull in talent from overseas with minimal hassle.

On the employee side there's not really anything super huge that's different between it and other kinds of work visas. There's some perks to it, but they're mostly the kind of perks that make sense for advancing the main purpose of giving specific Japanese institutions the ability to recruit knowledge workers from overseas.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I had a period where I was hoping to land a job in Japan but then I realized I will never even remotely qualify for a visa so it's just 観光 for me.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah but that’s annual and he noted quarterly which can I guess vary? There’s also nominal and PPP and various adjustments or maybe some groups trying to calculate independently because they (not without reason) don’t trust the official Japanese gov’t stays etc. I’m wondering if the “flat or massive loss every quarter” is based on *some* actual published stats or just a generalization pulled out of his rear end. Not actually that familiar with GDP methodologies so wondering.

Since 2012 Japan started doing what the US is doing right now- massive government spending, general and variable stimulus, low interest rates, central banks directly involved in stonks, and stroking off the largest companies in the country. To say their central banks are instrumental in any growth they have is the understatement of the century. They are the cause. They got lucky quarters on occasion due to some quarterly/seasonal reductions of imports and somewhat random interest in Chinese populations for Japanese goods. I'm not sure why people want to even bother arguing that the Japanese economy is on firm ground, and that the US is not, because Japan is the literal precursor of American economic strategy with one difference- Japan invests in major transport and government works projects.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yo i'm sorry your travel plans have been interrupted, but can you take that poo poo back to d&d already?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I sharted last weekend.
In TOKYO!!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I had a period where I was hoping to land a job in Japan but then I realized I will never even remotely qualify for a visa so it's just 観光 for me.

Have you 1) not been to college, and 2) not worked a specific field for more than 3 year?

That’s like the only situation where you’re *categorically* not liable to get a visa. The visa in Japan is the easy part, question is getting a decent job offer.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shammypants posted:

Since 2012 Japan started doing what the US is doing right now- massive government spending, general and variable stimulus, low interest rates, central banks directly involved in stonks, and stroking off the largest companies in the country. To say their central banks are instrumental in any growth they have is the understatement of the century. They are the cause. They got lucky quarters on occasion due to some quarterly/seasonal reductions of imports and somewhat random interest in Chinese populations for Japanese goods. I'm not sure why people want to even bother arguing that the Japanese economy is on firm ground, and that the US is not, because Japan is the literal precursor of American economic strategy with one difference- Japan invests in major transport and government works projects.

Who are you even arguing with

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

zmcnulty posted:

I sharted last weekend.
In TOKYO!!

I had to run into a toilet in ウエルシア yesterday or I was gonna crap my pants, true story

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
絶望して、ここに座る。便通しょうとして屁しか出来ず。

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I have no idea if that flies grammatically, but I don't really care.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Stringent posted:

yo i'm sorry your travel plans have been interrupted, but can you take that poo poo back to d&d already?

I'm actually enjoying how much it's bothering you, so no. Nothing is stopping you from discussing the last dingy noodle house you quietly masturbated in.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 10, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shammypants posted:

I'm actually enjoying how much it's bothering you, so no. Nothing is stopping you from discussing the last dingy noodle house you quietly masturbated in.

Hey, rear end in a top hat, talking about the economy is one thing, but don’t you dare loving suggest Stringent ever does anything any less than as loudly and obnoxiously as possible.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What if I loudly masturbate in a Denny’s in Chiba? Where does they put me on the gaijin hierarchy?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

What if I loudly masturbate in a Denny’s in Chiba? Where does they put me on the gaijin hierarchy?

We talking rear end-end Chiba or near the Disney? Was the Denny’s chosen on purpose or were there just no higher class joints like Saize around

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Hey, rear end in a top hat, talking about the economy is one thing, but don’t you dare loving suggest Stringent ever does anything any less than as loudly and obnoxiously as possible.

i like how he felt compelled to go back and edit that in

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

don't cut yourself on that edge

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

Have you 1) not been to college, and 2) not worked a specific field for more than 3 year?

That’s like the only situation where you’re *categorically* not liable to get a visa. The visa in Japan is the easy part, question is getting a decent job offer.

Yeah I yeeted out of college as a dumb kid. I have 20-something years of experience, both management and technical, but the lack of a degree is going to haunt me till I croak :q:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Stringent posted:

i like how he felt compelled to go back and edit that in

I had to imagine for a second I was speaking to the Japan threads version of Fart Simpson and adapt

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I yeeted out of college as a dumb kid. I have 20-something years of experience, both management and technical, but the lack of a degree is going to haunt me till I croak :q:

With 20 years of experience your lack of bachelors won’t matter at all. Japan’s work visas for white-collar professionals are hands down the most lenient of any industrialized world. Only issue is getting a job offer.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

LimburgLimbo posted:

We talking rear end-end Chiba or near the Disney?

Those are the same thing though?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The original Roppongi gaijin.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/c673c33a8635ac7800af41c799f4d7b0d26d4898?page=1

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

has anyone here ever considered getting a free house from https://akiya-gateway.com/ and what was it like? im not going to actually get one but i think the concept is sort of fascinating and i wonder if theres some kind of major catch. i read that one of the reasons people put their house up for free is that houses cant legally pass into public ownership so if you want to get rid of your old lovely second home, you are obliged to sell it, so people try to get rid of the second homes they bought in the 80's when they were younger and richer and could afford maintenance on these places. it seems like a good deal if you can somehow make money through remote work

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shibawanko posted:

has anyone here ever considered getting a free house from https://akiya-gateway.com/ and what was it like? im not going to actually get one but i think the concept is sort of fascinating and i wonder if theres some kind of major catch. i read that one of the reasons people put their house up for free is that houses cant legally pass into public ownership so if you want to get rid of your old lovely second home, you are obliged to sell it, so people try to get rid of the second homes they bought in the 80's when they were younger and richer and could afford maintenance on these places. it seems like a good deal if you can somehow make money through remote work

The catch is that many of them need considerable work to make them livable, so they're not really "free," strictly speaking. Just looking through some of the photos on that site, some of them are basically falling down, some are full of trash, etc. And the "free" houses offered by local governments sometimes have conditions where you have to live there x number of years before you actually own the house. On the other hand, if you just want to work remotely and live in the countryside, there is no shortage of cheap places to buy or rent that are already maintained and in livable condition that would end up working out to be cheaper.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LyonsLions posted:

The catch is that many of them need considerable work to make them livable, so they're not really "free," strictly speaking. Just looking through some of the photos on that site, some of them are basically falling down, some are full of trash, etc. And the "free" houses offered by local governments sometimes have conditions where you have to live there x number of years before you actually own the house. On the other hand, if you just want to work remotely and live in the countryside, there is no shortage of cheap places to buy or rent that are already maintained and in livable condition that would end up working out to be cheaper.

yeah a lot of them seem to be ramshackle, theres also a few where the house looks fantastic but theres a different catch, like this one: https://akiya-gateway.com/vacant-house/023-2/
you have to play a 4 man monthly fee for building maintenance, not surprising since theres a pool and onsen in the building. it honestly seems like a pretty great place to live but 4 man is still a bit like just paying rent and theres no way this property will ever go back up in price so youre still losing money on it

theres others though where the house looks fine but its just in an inconvenient location so youd have to have a car to go anywhere. it does seem like some of these might be a good deal to a millennial somewhere out there though, but maybe there are other ways in which you get hosed if you actually get one of these to live in?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
you also pay a bunch on taxes and other bureaucratic stuff

this guy has a good video on the costs and also a series on them renovating the one they bought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwRjO3kHxU4

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mikeycp posted:

you also pay a bunch on taxes and other bureaucratic stuff

this guy has a good video on the costs and also a series on them renovating the one they bought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwRjO3kHxU4

oh thats cool thanks, his story sounds a bit like a blog i suddenly remember i used to read like 5 years ago about a guy renovating a house in the countryside, i forgot what it was called but maybe its the same guy

it does seem like the kind of house he picked was particularly expensive to renovate and he had to pay a lot of money for that and also for loans. some of the prices for taxes and stuff seem honestly pretty fair, but im from holland and everything is insanely expensive here and i wont be able to buy my own house here ever. i guess it comes down to how much youre able to do DYI and finance up front without taking out loans

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

yeah a lot of them seem to be ramshackle, theres also a few where the house looks fantastic but theres a different catch, like this one: https://akiya-gateway.com/vacant-house/023-2/
you have to play a 4 man monthly fee for building maintenance, not surprising since theres a pool and onsen in the building. it honestly seems like a pretty great place to live but 4 man is still a bit like just paying rent and theres no way this property will ever go back up in price so youre still losing money on it

theres others though where the house looks fine but its just in an inconvenient location so youd have to have a car to go anywhere. it does seem like some of these might be a good deal to a millennial somewhere out there though, but maybe there are other ways in which you get hosed if you actually get one of these to live in?

I've priced several places in Yuzawa because I go there basically every weekend in the winter. A few friends own weekend condos there as well. They are more or less giving away condos for "free" these days. But as you say, the 管理費 is where they get you. It worked out to me having to spend like 40 nights a year there to justify the cost vs. just staying in cheap minshuku. And that's before the taxes. Definitely a buyer's market, as so many people just want to get out of their obligations to get away from that black hole of money. I'm pretty bullish on Yuzawa itself but yeah I don't expect it to be the next Niseko or whatever.

If you have a big group of friends you trust though--and who plan to stick around in Japan for decades--it can be worth it to spend a few hundred man. The convenience of a weekend place is hard to beat.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My wife and I looked into it because near her hometown there's a ton of them, but as others have said, there's a few issues because these houses are

1. In the middle of nowhere
2. Are usually dumps that need considerable work to be livable
3. Still have the aforementioned taxes and stuff
4. Are probably more work than they're really worth
5. There are basically no jobs in those areas anymore so you have to either be a remote worker or independently wealthy, in which case why even do this

I guess if you don't care about freezing in winter, dying of hear stroke in summer, cockroaches and mosquitoes everywhere, mold, being 30 minutes from the nearest conbini, and you work remotely or something, it could be okay... I guess.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

5. There are basically no jobs in those areas anymore so you have to either be a remote worker or independently wealthy, in which case why even do this

i guess what im attracted to is just the fact that they tend to be remote and you can be independent, im an outdoorsy sort of nature person and i grew up in the countryside with a garden and chickens and stuff so it seems cool to have something like that in japan as well. of course i dont live in japan now but it seems like it might be an option if we do go back there and i can find remote work (im currently doing remote work in holland but its a temporary gig)

i liked living in central tokyo too but i kind of missed the country and even taking into account all of the taxes and things like that it seems like a much cheaper deal than trying to live in tokyo by ourselves again

im guessing though that this phenomenon will eventually happen (or already has?) in tokyo itself too away from the stations, where old people can no longer reasonably live. this is another reason why tokyo should really become a bicycle city so young people can conveniently move into the places abandoned by old people and just commute by bike and PT

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 14, 2020

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

Mongoose posted:

Off the food topic, but is anyone in here a former or current Monbusho / MEXT scholarship recipient?

Hey, I don't post here much if ever but I'm a former MEXT scholar, Waseda, 2017-2019. What's up?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

For what it's worth, probably the "best" place I ever lived in Japan was when I taught university English for a summer at Fujisawa Honmachi station of all places, sort of near Enoshima. I lived in central Tokyo for like 4 years right next to Tokyo Station and that was cool and convenient and exciting but if I was going to spend my life somewhere, I'd rather it be one of those sleeper towns. It was like living in some coming-of-age anime background art, and I don't even like anime. Being able to bike to the beach in 10 minutes was awesome. Kamakura seems like it would be a nice place to live in, or near Onjuku beach.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

For what it's worth, probably the "best" place I ever lived in Japan was when I taught university English for a summer at Fujisawa Honmachi station of all places, sort of near Enoshima. I lived in central Tokyo for like 4 years right next to Tokyo Station and that was cool and convenient and exciting but if I was going to spend my life somewhere, I'd rather it be one of those sleeper towns. It was like living in some coming-of-age anime background art, and I don't even like anime. Being able to bike to the beach in 10 minutes was awesome. Kamakura seems like it would be a nice place to live in, or near Onjuku beach.

isnt shonan pretty expensive in general? from what i've heard it's not really like a sleeper town in terms of price because of the location, especially kamakura which is very expensive but also hayama because of the presence of the imperial beach house. id love to live in enoshima or something though

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It's definitely more pricey, homes in the area surrounding Tokyo that would normally go for $300k instead are around $400k or so, but you also get a nicer general quality of life and the cities feel cozy but still new-ish and convenient. I really enjoyed going to actual large supermarkets in shopping centers and not a Seijo Ishii pretending it's a supermarket, and playing darts and getting drinks at the little hole-in-the-wall bars and stuff.

The best summer festival I ever went to was in Hiratsuka, next to Fujisawa. It was madness, like a true bacchanal. Pure drunken pandemonium.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 14, 2020

strong bird
May 12, 2009

/!\ urgent assistance needed... what is this beverage:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

strong bird posted:

/!\ urgent assistance needed... what is this beverage:

chinese perrier. case closed.

So is international travel ok for an American? In the age of corona I'm still hesitant. People might not want Americans in their country, and i wouldn't blame them. For instance, I am close to Canada right now but I think border is closed. Normally I'd hop on a plane and go take a month off somewhere far away. Or am I being over precautious, about going off to Japan.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

excellent bird guy posted:

So is international travel ok for an American? In the age of corona I'm still hesitant. People might not want Americans in their country, and i wouldn't blame them. For instance, I am close to Canada right now but I think border is closed. Normally I'd hop on a plane and go take a month off somewhere far away. Or am I being over precautious, about going off to Japan.

Americans are currently barred from entry into a lot of countries, including Japan...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

america has cooties

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

but kenya and tanzania opened up for tourism

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

excellent bird guy posted:

So is international travel ok for an American? In the age of corona I'm still hesitant.

Japan’s still not accepting tourists, and resident visa holders aren’t guaranteed the ability to return yet either. There are only a few clear cut situations that have guidance, so it’s just rumors and scuttlebutt still.

Even if Japan accepted tourists,

peanut posted:

america has cooties

So probably wouldn’t allow tourists coming directly from the U.S. in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The closer we get to winter and 2021 with no vaccine in sight the more I’m steeling myself that my May 2021 trip is also cancelled, which is ultimately fine and probably the right decision when the time comes, but for now I’m putting off cancelling the ticket just to keep hope alive because 2020 has killed just about everything else. At least Canada has our poo poo SOMEWHAT together so maybe we won’t be pariahs on the world stage when it comes time to travel.