Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Not everywhere for sure, but I can get nanaimo and taro at my international supermarket in a mediocre town. I bet if you look you can find more than you’d expect if you live in a place that isn’t a tiny town.

most asian food stores where i live tend to be oriented on chinese/indonesian stuff, with a small section for japanese and korean things. vegetables are usually not included, i can sometimes find daikon at a turkish supermarket and ive grown shiso and edamame in my garden, but thats about it. even over in amsterdam where they have a meidi-ya the best you're going to find is frozen or canned stuff

salmon is actually better in europe than it is in japan, especially if you're in scotland or norway, and ive found some north sea fishes that taste good if you boil them with some miso, but i especially miss big fat slices of buri and i don't think we even have a dutch word for that particular fish

https://www.hokkai.com/nl/product/buri-sashimi/ i guess you can order it but look at that price, and thats shipped frozen from japan

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AHH F/UGH posted:

While we're at it, Go Go Curry is the best Curry Tonkatsu in Japan, period. gently caress haters, it's some real poo poo for the tired and depressed salary man on his way home at 9:30PM on a Tuesday.

Replicating the GoGo Kanazawa curry tonkatsu has been a long term project of mine. No success.

Best curry I've had was at a rando place in Kurashiki that opened in 1920 or some poo poo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Brb gonna go tell a bunch of obaasan their “Japanese food” doesn’t even deserve the name because their ingredients are subpar according to Forums Poster Stringent

They'll tell you themselves, it's not a controversial position. The quality of ingredients available in the countryside, vegetables in particular, just tends to be a lot better if more limited in variety.

Shibawanko posted:

salmon is actually better in europe than it is in japan, especially if you're in scotland or norway

They sell Norwegian salmon at Costco here and holy poo poo it is so good. I can't imagine what it's like freshly caught.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

when will the daily yamazaki defender log on???

Daily Yamazaki is run by breadmaker Yamazaki. So you can bet your rear end they have the best selection of 菓子パン in the entire country, if not the world.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
the only good thing about daily yamazaki is theres one near the bus stop i got off for work so if i need a coffee or quick breakfast i can grab something there

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

They'll tell you themselves, it's not a controversial position. The quality of ingredients available in the countryside, vegetables in particular, just tends to be a lot better if more limited in variety.

They sell Norwegian salmon at Costco here and holy poo poo it is so good. I can't imagine what it's like freshly caught.

when I lived in Alaska there was a place about an hour away that got fresh copper river salmon - Wash it down with an Ice Axe...was the best meal imaginable. I almost bought a ticket to anchorage last year to go back simply for that meal lol

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Stringent posted:

yeah when we lived in scotland we'd always go to this one sushi place and order nothing but salmon dishes: 8 salmon nigiri, 1 long western style roll with salmon on top, a bunch of braised salmon in oil and a bunch of other salmon related things. there were other things on the menu but frankly none of it was good unlike the salmon

i don't think salmon was even traditionally eaten in japan until westerners introduced it, and it doesn't really taste that good in japan anyway

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

i don't think salmon was even traditionally eaten in japan until westerners introduced it, and it doesn't really taste that good in japan anyway
Yeah, raw salmon consumption started happening in Japan in 1995.

Also I think konbini withdrawal is happening. I’ve had two consecutive nights of dreams about raiding a Lawson for fried chicken, steamed buns, and bread. It sucks that it’s likely Americans are not going to be able to Travel to Japan for like another year.

Maybe I need to revisit the idea of immigration...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I do kinda miss 7-11's ザ·チーズバーガー

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

this absolute unit too:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I miss the donut that’s half covered in green tea glaze. You know the one.

BUT then I went to Jack in the Donuts in the little shopping arcade right under Yodobashi in Akihabara and they had an AMAZING donut with roasted green tea cream filling and HOLY poo poo I’m pretty sure I went back there every day for like four days before I flew out.

Memories.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

this absolute unit too:

Did you check seikatsu.nl? They sometimes stock specific ramen cups.

The food I miss most is the one Taiwanese Ramen place in the main Akihbara strip. They stuff your bowl so full of meat and other good stuff... Say what you want about Akiba being an overpriced tourist trap, but they got a good food place there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
All this talk about food is making me want to visit Japan again. Some of the best restaurants I've ever been to.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Archer666 posted:

The food I miss most is the one Taiwanese Ramen place in the main Akihbara strip. They stuff your bowl so full of meat and other good stuff... Say what you want about Akiba being an overpriced tourist trap, but they got a good food place there.

I just finished lunch and that mazesoba is making me hungry again. That's a relatively reproducible type of ramen if you can get bonito powder and work out the tare they dump in the bottom of the bowl.

Off the food topic, but is anyone in here a former or current Monbusho / MEXT scholarship recipient?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Big AEONs too. It’s real real good.

Tokyo has entered the “too loving hot” stage of the summer, so I’m very glad I will be working from home for the time being.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
I does say something that some of the best sushi I had was bought from a huge AEON supermarket, Okinawa specifically, which may have something to do with that.

The thing this shutdown that worries me the most is that whenever I actually finally be able to get back into the country is that most of the little food places I enjoyed and been back to for many years may no longer be there. It's really doing a number on the local economies all over the world and Tokyo just got another spike in numbers making things worse to a very bad situation.
It's bad enough on normal times when little places I found and liked just up and disappears the next time I visit as it is, but this is a whole new level.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stumbling Block posted:

The thing this shutdown that worries me the most is that whenever I actually finally be able to get back into the country is that most of the little food places I enjoyed and been back to for many years may no longer be there. It's really doing a number on the local economies all over the world and Tokyo just got another spike in numbers making things worse to a very bad situation.
It's bad enough on normal times when little places I found and liked just up and disappears the next time I visit as it is, but this is a whole new level.

Japan is a civilized country and people are mostly weathering things just fine.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Stringent posted:

I really hope so. That said. the country probably won't even open up till next year and I won''t find out till the year after. I really am missing some of the soba places in Shinjuku and Ikebukuro, as well as that oni ramen that some in this thread knows so well located in the latter. (yeah I know that one is a chain store but I been going to that one even before I knew it was a thread favorite to some)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Archer666 posted:

i didnt know that website thanks, but it looks like right now they only have some of the more common ones that you can find in chinese stores. theres a store in chinatown in amsterdam that carries ラー王, at least, and ive seen it in the chain supermarket "amazing oriental" a few times as well

still its hard to find some of the more fancy ones from japan. i made ramen myself a few times at home by boiling pork bones and adding miso and some other ingredients, it does taste good but its not the same

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Lol it rules how spergy goons get about Japan

Is this anything for other countries too?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Stringent posted:

Prior to corona, Japan was seeing stagnation or up to 7% declines in GDP each quarter. Now they're in a formal recession and there's no telling what the future holds for any country, really, let alone Japan. Japan isn't doing anything unique that other countries aren't already doing- pumping out nearly a trillion in stimulus (debt) and helping their rich and business class, lowering interest rates and considering negative rates, and closing off borders to 95% of visitors. Actually, that's not true, they are well beyond the crazy stuff the US is doing, with central banks buying equity ETFs. Yea, Abe and his cronies are touting their no-lockdown approach as "softening the fall" but it's all bullshit, like every other world leader is talking. Every now and again we get a bullshit sentiment survey among private business leaders or bullshit sentiment report among the general public to pump and dump stocks.

Looking at the raw bankruptcies and closures, you simply can't say Japan won't be different, considerably, post-Covid-19 than it was a year or two ago. Things will close, some never to reopen again. Much of what will suffer will be mom and pop shops and restaurants and local businesses, like everywhere else.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Most people are weathering the crisis fine but many hospitality businesses are not, so

Stumbling Block posted:

The thing this shutdown that worries me the most is that whenever I actually finally be able to get back into the country is that most of the little food places I enjoyed and been back to for many years may no longer be there.

this seems like a perfectly valid concern.

It may not be as dire as the situation in the US. But there's still no end in sight, so who knows if local soba place #403032 in inaka-gun will be able to weather the crisis.

That said. My guess is tons of the little food places are owned and operated by the mom-and-pop. So they don't have to worry about rent or massive expenses that lots of places do. Maybe they'll let the part-timers go, but the restaurant can stay in business.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 8, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

BB2K posted:

Nah only glorious nippon

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shammypants posted:

Prior to corona, Japan was seeing stagnation or up to 7% declines in GDP each quarter. Now they're in a formal recession and there's no telling what the future holds for any country, really, let alone Japan. Japan isn't doing anything unique that other countries aren't already doing- pumping out nearly a trillion in stimulus (debt) and helping their rich and business class, lowering interest rates and considering negative rates, and closing off borders to 95% of visitors. Actually, that's not true, they are well beyond the crazy stuff the US is doing, with central banks buying equity ETFs. Yea, Abe and his cronies are touting their no-lockdown approach as "softening the fall" but it's all bullshit, like every other world leader is talking. Every now and again we get a bullshit sentiment survey among private business leaders or bullshit sentiment report among the general public to pump and dump stocks.

Looking at the raw bankruptcies and closures, you simply can't say Japan won't be different, considerably, post-Covid-19 than it was a year or two ago. Things will close, some never to reopen again. Much of what will suffer will be mom and pop shops and restaurants and local businesses, like everywhere else.

lol

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yo let's talk Okonomiyaki

My go-to place with my WIFE was Yukari in the Akiba Ichi building in Akihabara.

I also got some loving good poo poo at this little hole in the wall in Itabashi right when I first moved to Japan in 2014. Local neighborhood *as gently caress*.

I found street food and festival okonomiyakis to be pretty disappointing but the ones in a good restaurant were a revelation

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 9, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
By what metric has Japan’s GDP declined every quarter?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It hasn't (barely)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

It hasn't (barely)

Yeah but that’s annual and he noted quarterly which can I guess vary? There’s also nominal and PPP and various adjustments or maybe some groups trying to calculate independently because they (not without reason) don’t trust the official Japanese gov’t stays etc. I’m wondering if the “flat or massive loss every quarter” is based on *some* actual published stats or just a generalization pulled out of his rear end. Not actually that familiar with GDP methodologies so wondering.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

To be fair I can barely think of anything more that would satisfying to public officials in Japan than a totally flat GDP

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BB2K posted:

it’s equivalent to meltdowns that some goons have about China or expats in China, imo

there is A LOT to analyze in both cases and I could not care less about either group lol

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

BB2K posted:

That's just the internet in general

Star Wars, online video games, celebrity drama, it's all basically the same poo poo, just with different selections of Funko Pops behind the person in their YouTube video.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

BB2K posted:

you mean about food? because japanese food rules

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol you freaks, talking about Japanese food

loving weirdos!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

baka gaijin!!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
If we're setting the bar at "Japan is worse off economically due to the pandemic than if there were no pandemic" then I think that's a no-brainer.

It's pretty easy to say that some businesses and people will suffer due to it. If anyone can track down how much harm is actually done specifically by the pandemic then they should probably submit it for their doctoral thesis.

On the whole, though, it's also pretty safe to say that Japanese society is gonna be alright so can we go back to talking about waifus and ramen.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the only thing that matters is if you can get +5 or +10 points on the highly skilled professional preferential treatment immigration thingy for not having covid19 imo

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Phone posted:

the only thing that matters is if you can get +5 or +10 points on the highly skilled professional preferential treatment immigration thingy for not having covid19 imo

What's even the point of HSFP? Just faster route to permanent resident? From what I can tell you still need a sponsoring org and the visa is tied to the sponsor so if you quit/get fired you have to immediately transition to a different visa type.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

captkirk posted:

What's even the point of HSFP? Just faster route to permanent resident? From what I can tell you still need a sponsoring org and the visa is tied to the sponsor so if you quit/get fired you have to immediately transition to a different visa type.

afaik, it's in a special visa category of it's own where you can get 5 year residency right off the bat and it's a fast track to permanent residency if you meet the requirements.

i haven't lived in japan or dealt with the employment visa scheme, but it was my impression that if you have a work visa for X amount of time, you have a visa for that amount of time; i.e. - it's not like the US in where your legal immigration status is immediately called into question/limbo. like you can get a work visa for JET and go "gently caress this" and find another job, and then renew your work visa with your new employer when your original visa expires.

note: i don't have first hand knowledge, this is just my (poor) understanding.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

captkirk posted:

There’s a few other benefits as well. You can bring parents and domestic workers (something that Japan was lacking before and was a complaint of some expats coming from SG, HK, etc.), guaranteed 5 year visa from the get-go, faster processing, can do work outside of your designated job more easily as well supposedly? (That’s one of the touted benefits but not sure how much diff it is functionally from a 資格外活動許可) etc.

Overall the flexibility of a normal visa will be better for most people but it’s nice to have faster PR application, which benefits anyone who qualifies even if they don’t have the HSFP visa anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Phone posted:

afaik, it's in a special visa category of it's own where you can get 5 year residency right off the bat and it's a fast track to permanent residency if you meet the requirements.

i haven't lived in japan or dealt with the employment visa scheme, but it was my impression that if you have a work visa for X amount of time, you have a visa for that amount of time; i.e. - it's not like the US in where your legal immigration status is immediately called into question/limbo. like you can get a work visa for JET and go "gently caress this" and find another job, and then renew your work visa with your new employer when your original visa expires.

note: i don't have first hand knowledge, this is just my (poor) understanding.

Largely right but you need to do work in the same category so sometimes you need to reapply technically, though generally I don’t think they really enforce that so hard unless it’s something way diff. You just need to send them a basic form when you change jobs and maybe they’d follow up if it was on a wildly different category like you got an engineer visa and then started working at a restaurant.