Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i wouldn't care so much about elections in belarus if it didn't seem like a sneak peek of the american elections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

What will be interesting (and scary) to see is how Russia reacts, Belarus is their land connection to Kaliningrad and after the Ukraine fiasco it's been kept pretty tight in Moscow's orbit. Putin might make a move if he thinks things may end up tilting the country westward in any way.

https://twitter.com/charter_97/status/1292559808894296069

https://twitter.com/Belsat_TV/status/1292582848055119879

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Terrifying Effigies posted:

What will be interesting (and scary) to see is how Russia reacts, Belarus is their land connection to Kaliningrad and after the Ukraine fiasco it's been kept pretty tight in Moscow's orbit. Putin might make a move if he thinks things may end up tilting the country westward in any way.

https://twitter.com/charter_97/status/1292559808894296069

https://twitter.com/Belsat_TV/status/1292582848055119879

Man it's getting bad. Starting to look like America over there.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/SevaUT/status/1292595676531118081?s=20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:piss:

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

I think that is a pretty wrong take, Lukashenko will stay in power against Putin's wishes. They just caught couple hundred Wagner mercs there couple weeks ago. Putin would much rather see Lukashenko overthrown, exact opposite of what happened in Ukraine. But would it not be better for the Belarusian people? Or is it a case of trading one dictator for another.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Batka walks on a tightrope. The EU and west is generally mad at him because he's a dictator, while the Russians hate that he doesn't want to become a vassal and pushes various Belarusian nationalist policies against Russian language and so on.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Is it weird that I use the number of new posts in this thread as a barometer of how awful the day was

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sharknado slashfic posted:

Is it weird that I use the number of new posts in this thread as a barometer of how awful the day was

Not really.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The only more reliable indicator is the BFC gambling thread

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That Works posted:

Oh I know, I grew up in that.

:smith::respek::smith:

What's up "American Dad christmas episodes aren't funny, just really depressing" brother

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 10, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

When I see there’s 70 unread posts in the past few hours, it’s either because Trump threatened to nuke Luxembourg or there’s a derail about putting ketchup on hot dogs that consumes the thread like a dry field in a brushfire. I always find myself praying for the latter.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pantslesswithwolves posted:

When I see there’s 70 unread posts in the past few hours, it’s either because Trump threatened to nuke Luxembourg or there’s a derail about putting ketchup on hot dogs that consumes the thread like a dry field in a brushfire. I always find myself praying for the latter.

mustard, relish, onions, chili, and cheese are the only acceptable condiments for hot dogs. (not necessarily all at once)

ketchup is sugary trash for babies.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
After Sriracha people have been making ketchup thats a little more complex than mass market sugary Heinz. Its a game changer.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hot dogs are good but Chicago Dogs are great.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
A good knish always complements a hot dog well.

Also Fauci said he's very doubtful that any Covid vaccine will be 98% effective. He says it could be around 50-70%, but that it would still be good to have. We just have to continue good public health policy in addition to getting the vaccine.

Which we won't, because we aren't even doing that now BEFORE a vaccine.

Humans are the stupidest things on planet Earth.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just a reminder that it was a year ago that Russia had a major nuclear whoopsie related to developing a hypersonic fission-powered cruise missile of the sort the US looked at during the peak of the Cold War and decided was too unworkable and dangerous.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just a reminder that it was a year ago that Russia had a major nuclear whoopsie related to developing a hypersonic fission-powered cruise missile of the sort the US looked at during the peak of the Cold War and decided was too unworkable and dangerous.

I thought that that they were working on that blew up was definitely not related to that project, but was in fact a plan to give a bunch of people free x-rays.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

When the vaccine comes out it will be the height of owning the libs to not take it. This poo poo is never going away

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

lightpole posted:

After Sriracha people have been making ketchup thats a little more complex than mass market sugary Heinz. Its a game changer.

Heinz is perfect, it just doesn't go on hot dogs.

Best Friends posted:

When the vaccine comes out it will be the height of owning the libs to not take it. This poo poo is never going away

Which is hilarious since so much of the anti Vax movement is liberal.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Almost by design.

:magemage:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Nuclear death can’t come fast enough.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Best Friends posted:

Already seeing social media posts from extended family on this subject. So loving selfish

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

shame on an IGA posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

What's up "American Dad christmas episodes aren't funny, just really depressing" brother

Ah.. heh.. heh. Yep!

*cries

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

egyptian rat race posted:

Already seeing social media posts from extended family on this subject. So loving selfish

A lot of researchers are both concerned and not concerned about this sort of thing. People are extremely NOT PUTTING THAT poo poo IN ME when the vaccine is completely hypothetical, but then OK I GUESS once the actual vaccine becomes real. It's really not helping that they gave the program a name like "Operation Warp Speed" and feeding the idea that they're blowing past safety guidelines, but once a vaccine becomes a serious thing, at least some people will likely change their minds.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Honestly not seeing the problem with droves of unvaccinated chuds screaming down each others throats at Trump rallies

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They’ll gently caress it up for the immunocompromised that will be exposed to them, somehow someway.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Force de Fappe posted:

Honestly not seeing the problem with droves of unvaccinated chuds screaming down each others throats at Trump rallies

No, but think of all of the service workers they will insist on exposing after.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

A lot of researchers are both concerned and not concerned about this sort of thing. People are extremely NOT PUTTING THAT poo poo IN ME when the vaccine is completely hypothetical, but then OK I GUESS once the actual vaccine becomes real. It's really not helping that they gave the program a name like "Operation Warp Speed" and feeding the idea that they're blowing past safety guidelines, but once a vaccine becomes a serious thing, at least some people will likely change their minds.

With the state of oversight in our government even I'm honestly concerned about warp speeding development.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1292725641507475456

Almost immune, open the schools.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Almost immune, open the schools.

Too much testing!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

I would not want to be at risk educator - or be an at risk parent with school aged kids.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Laranzu posted:

With the state of oversight in our government even I'm honestly concerned about warp speeding development.

I think there are enough negative incentives built-in, and enough decentralization in development, that it's not a huge concern (though it should be tracked).

We're not the only country cooking up vaccine candidates, data collection isn't completely up to the vaccine makers, and the vaccine makers could have company-killing PR if they gently caress with the data and kill people. Not to mention that vaccine rates in the country would absolutely crash, so the governmental medical people are also on alert. Trump's minions are also klutzy as gently caress, so they can't gently caress with things in the background without about a half million whistles being blown somewhere.

I think it's sort of similar to the election system - decentralization make things klutzy, but also makes it very hard to corrupt the overall process. Probably why Donnie's fuckers are trying to mess with the Post Office - there's no real good way to gently caress with every state's election system, all at once.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I am 100% pro-vaccine and will get a COVID vaccine when a safe one is mass distributed and accessible to all. That said, I think I’d wait a month or two if Trump’s October Surprise is to roll out a rushed-through vaccine. I’d hate to find that it’s only 10% effective or produces severe side effects, like a desire to vote for Trump or something.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I am 100% pro-vaccine and will get a COVID vaccine when a safe one is mass distributed and accessible to all. That said, I think I’d wait a month or two if Trump’s October Surprise is to roll out a rushed-through vaccine. I’d hate to find that it’s only 10% effective or produces severe side effects, like a desire to vote for Trump or something.

Yea, I was basically planning to self quarantine for about two months after a vaccine is rolled out if it was designed in America. If only because I aint trusting our FDA right now not put out something that doesn't end up giving you rear end cancer or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Oxford vaccine isn’t American

The Moderna vaccine seems like the riskiest one but those two are both in Phase 3 trials. My own local hospital recruited 1,000 patients for one a couple months ago.

Like I understand the concerns but I also think no vaccine in history has had the benefit of 80 years of testing and these Western candidates aren’t skipping any milestones. The biggest risk is probably with the manufacturing.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 10, 2020

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

i'm 90% certain that when the first vaccine comes out, healthcare workers are going to be mandated to take it, especially those like myself who come into contact with COVID patients on a daily work basis.

I'm all for vaccination but I do have hesitancy of the first round of vaccines being no more effective than sterile water injected into my deltoid.

that or i'm gonna mutate and get super powers and have to live with Professor X.

fingers crossed I can shoot fire from my balls

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nice and hot piss posted:

i'm 90% certain that when the first vaccine comes out, healthcare workers are going to be mandated to take it,

Yeah I also think I have a different perspective on it since I don't get to sit at home anymore to ride this out. If the vaccine is only 20% effective then that's 20% better for me.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 10, 2020

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Fallom posted:

The Oxford vaccine isn’t American

The Moderna vaccine seems like the riskiest one but those two are both in Phase 3 trials. My own local hospital recruited 1,000 patients for one a couple months ago.

Like I understand the concerns but I also think no vaccine in history has had the benefit of 80 years of testing and these Western candidates aren’t skipping any milestones. The biggest risk is probably with the manufacturing.

That's the concern really. Vaccine formula gets shipped to US manufacturers who are pressured to get it out, promised lax oversight and protection from repercussions to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nice and hot piss posted:

i'm 90% certain that when the first vaccine comes out, healthcare workers are going to be mandated to take it, especially those like myself who come into contact with COVID patients on a daily work basis.

I'm all for vaccination but I do have hesitancy of the first round of vaccines being no more effective than sterile water injected into my deltoid.

that or i'm gonna mutate and get super powers and have to live with Professor X.

fingers crossed I can shoot fire from my balls

Pretty sure chlamydia isn't going to be a side effect, but honestly the way this is being run I wouldn't be surprised