Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

there was probably more finished content for eqnext than there currently is for pantheon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themoor
May 15, 2020
Pantheon Seems like they are trying to do to many ideas and can't get any of them to work right.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's not that they can't, it's that they are not trying and have no intention of trying.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

It's not that they can't, it's that they are not trying and have no intention of trying.

that feels like every crowdfunded MMO.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

blatman posted:

there was probably more finished content for eqnext than there currently is for pantheon

LuckyCat posted:

Idk if you just aren’t counting these because maybe you think they look bad, but Ashes of Creation is an upcoming AAA fantasy mmo with a dev team of more than 100 (many veterans of the industry as well) and Amazon’s New World just to name a couple that will actually release unlike Pantheon.

ashes of creation is almost word for word eqnext with out the voxels and im very intertested but cautious. theres no SOE to bail these guys out this time because daybreak is all about shoe string budgets and finding way to make you want to spend in the cash shop not bringing in or developing new games and i know they said they are working on eq3 but lets be real.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Richard Garriott's terrible MMO raised more money than the original EQ cost in today's dollars (~4.7 million).

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Richard Garriott's terrible MMO raised more money than the original EQ cost in today's dollars (~4.7 million).

for whatever reason this reminded me of something ive been thinking about for a while.

i've really come to appreciate old school EQ's architecture because it feels like it's something, on the server side at least, that could be implemented by a single person or small team today with modern tooling, assumptions about home internet quality, premade libraries, etc.

"Q: how often should the server tick to handle scripts, events, aggro, combat rounds, buffs...?
A: I dunno.. every 6 seconds?"

"Q: How do we build a single massive world?
A: Uhhh let's make some really big rectangles with impassable hills at the edges and use crevices, caves and bridges to delineate different 'zones'!"

Bringing this back to Pantheon.. I think they would've been able to build a really cool game with a small team if they worked within, approximately, the constraints of the original EQ. Every time I see Black Rose Keep it looks a little more like WoW with climbing mechanics.

Sometimes less is more...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the other hand I did also like what Asheron's Call did was just a gigantic open world with very little to not limits in where you can go. There were no zones or regions, not in the traditional MMO sense, it was all just one big seamless land mass that you traversed uninterrupted.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

cmdrk posted:

for whatever reason this reminded me of something ive been thinking about for a while.

i've really come to appreciate old school EQ's architecture because it feels like it's something, on the server side at least, that could be implemented by a single person or small team today with modern tooling, assumptions about home internet quality, premade libraries, etc.

"Q: how often should the server tick to handle scripts, events, aggro, combat rounds, buffs...?
A: I dunno.. every 6 seconds?"

"Q: How do we build a single massive world?
A: Uhhh let's make some really big rectangles with impassable hills at the edges and use crevices, caves and bridges to delineate different 'zones'!"

Bringing this back to Pantheon.. I think they would've been able to build a really cool game with a small team if they worked within, approximately, the constraints of the original EQ. Every time I see Black Rose Keep it looks a little more like WoW with climbing mechanics.

Everquest modding is actually fun and relatively accessible. Unfortunately the work on an open server codebase is way way farther than that on an open client.

I think the next decade should see some old school mmo like eq revival in part because the technology for massive player interaction has improved (such as spatialos) and the demographic it’ll appeal to will hopefully have the disposable income to support it. The problem is in original eq the gear on your avatar reflected your accomplishment. With monetization surrounding cosmetics it makes it more difficult to have that identity.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

milkman dad posted:

Everquest modding is actually fun and relatively accessible. Unfortunately the work on an open server codebase is way way farther than that on an open client.

yeah, absolutely. i've got an idle fascination with open EQ clients, but they all seem to fall flat on their face for some reason or another. I guess once you start down the road of developing one, you start to think.. why constrain myself to a reverse-engineered protocol when I can just invent a new one, with new content?

start your kickstarter now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cmdrk posted:

Yup this is the problem. People would've wanted (and probably preferred) a P99 experience that was modernized. The bells and whistles is a bunch of feature creep bullshit the devs either fell in love with or are using as cover for not being able to even deliver what people actually want.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

as far as modernized p99 goes, I feel like there's room for a modern mmo that actually has some downtime in groups so you can chat with pugs

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
P99 exactly as it is, just with better graphics, and maybe a few more abilities for pure melee classes, would be the biggest hit MMO in years.

At least in my heart.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

retpocileh posted:

P99 exactly as it is, just with better graphics, and maybe a few more abilities for pure melee classes, would be the biggest hit MMO in years.

At least in my heart.

My Shangri-La. :saddowns:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blatman posted:

as far as modernized p99 goes, I feel like there's room for a modern mmo that actually has some downtime in groups so you can chat with pugs

Sea of Thieves does a good job with this. Fun to shoot the poo poo when not shooting other ships.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

retpocileh posted:

At least in my heart.

This is suppose to be Pantheon, but instead its a huge scam. :(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Vanguard would have been that if it didn't have the gross mismanagement that Brad McQuaid (pbuh) and others had during its development. People were leaving in droves because of the games crappy performance and unfinished content. At its core, it definitely was "Everquest 3."

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I miss Vanguard.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A friend and I were looking at Vanguard emulators and as it turns out, they have even less a population than live did which means zero instead of 5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I miss Vanguard as well. I know there is a server emulator and fan ran server going, but I believe even 3+ years later, it is still very early in alpha testing and progress.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Apparently there's a dev stream in a few hours.

August Dev stream Thursday 27th @6pm PT
Pre-Alpha 5 Shakeout (shakeout shakeout shakeout) talk
http://twitch.tv/visionaryrealms

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Shake it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DiyWMGlT58

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
watching them nail the eq experience makes me sad

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

game looks done!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Playing in third person?

TRASH.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ehud posted:

game looks done!!!

honestly id play this game if they stuck to the dev graphics as the actual graphics.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesus christ, this is seriously the best they could do with how long this game has been in development?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I just don't care about the graybox too much I guess. They'll put in the real art eventually. The rest of it looks like an actual game for the most part.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

you guys aren't gonna believe this. The team has no idea what they're doing and they're running out of money.

The latest newsletter explains why they have made so little progress in the past 2 years.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/producers-letter-october-2020/

In short - rather than designing scalable systems for things like quest implementation and boss encounters, they hardcoded everything. So when the design team came up with a quest, designed a boss encounter, wanted to use the perception system, etc. they had to submit everything to the dev team for implementation.

They finally realized how stupid their approach was and spent the last couple of years stripping everything back down and rebuilding the world and all the systems to be scalable. The problem was so bad that they had to completely rebuild the zones. They claim that they have now designed tools and an architecture that allows the creative folks to implement content on their own...you know, like an MMORPG should have...

Now they're rushing to get the alpha going and it's because they don't have the cash to finish the game unless a publisher or investor brings a cash infusion to the table:

quote:

Secondly, this experience is needed so it can be shared with potential partners. Publishers and investors need to see what Pantheon is, how it plays, what it’s all about. Several parties are interested in the concept, and now we need to show them that it’s a reality. We are, and always will be eternally grateful for the kindness and generosity of the community and our early investors in getting us this far, but we’re going to need more resources to get Pantheon done sooner than our modest team can realistically do by themselves in a reasonable timeframe. PA5 serves as a testing area for this evaluation build. Testers help in putting the best possible experience in the hands of the people who can accelerate development the most.

lol

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This is loving sad

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So when we first set out to make an MMO, we decided we should design it like we were making a console game from 1997.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I feel like there's nothing sad about a game that looks like this 7 years into development y'all are just negative nancies

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

retpocileh posted:

I feel like there's nothing sad about a game that looks like this 7 years into development y'all are just negative nancies

What majesty, what wonder.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Why is the orc camp covered in blue foam? Is this the sense of mystery that I'm supposed to feel about this game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

you guys aren't gonna believe this. The team has no idea what they're doing and they're running out of money.

lol

lmao loving amazing. I knew this was an incompetent project but I had no idea how bad it really was.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
It never ceases to amaze. I'm unsurprised but sad that they painted themselves into a corner.

They're saying poo poo that are now my trigger words thanks to Star Citizen.

"pipelines".
Nooooooooo :stonk:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Reading the official forum thread for the community post, and lol at the people defending it. The devs promised they were funded to completion and had all of the money they needed. They've been lying this entire time to everyone, yet somehow this raises no red flags.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Ehud posted:

In short - rather than designing scalable systems for things like quest implementation and boss encounters, they hardcoded everything. So when the design team came up with a quest, designed a boss encounter, wanted to use the perception system, etc. they had to submit everything to the dev team for implementation.

This is literally the same problem that Vanguard had. They didn't have any tools at all to implement content. Brad learned nothing, but that's no surprise.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahah that happened with Vanguard too? That's basic poo poo how did that happen twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahah that happened with Vanguard too? That's basic poo poo how did that happen twice?

Drugs and incompetence.