Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Kidman was fantastic, I loved him in WCW. Good cruiserweight, and the way they had him win the title out of nowhere right after leaving the Flock was brilliant. He worked really well as "generic dude in street clothes who is really good at wrestling" for a while there.

But what Russo tried to do with him and Hogan... well it was Russo in a nutshell is what it was. I don't really think Hogan/Kidman was ever going to be a good match - Kidman didn't have the charisma to match Hogan on the mic, and Hogan surely wasn't going to keep up with Kidman's high-flying cruiserweight style in the ring, but in a different setting, I could imagine a moderately successful program with Kidman as the underdog babyface against an unambiguously-heel Hollywood Hogan (even this is a stretch - I don't think Kidman ever had the presence to be a believable opponent for Hogan, but he was a talented guy who could have maybe had an upper-midcard run). But it definitely had no chance of working with... well, whatever the hell Russo was doing then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

i think the last wcw ppv that my uncle ordered was whichever one had buff daddy vs roddy piper in a boxing match. i excused myself maybe two matches in to play pod racers 64 with my cousin instead.

Bash at the beach 99. Mills Lane was the referee and they were still paying Buffer to announce.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rujasu posted:

Kidman was fantastic, I loved him in WCW. Good cruiserweight, and the way they had him win the title out of nowhere right after leaving the Flock was brilliant. He worked really well as "generic dude in street clothes who is really good at wrestling" for a while there.

But what Russo tried to do with him and Hogan... well it was Russo in a nutshell is what it was. I don't really think Hogan/Kidman was ever going to be a good match - Kidman didn't have the charisma to match Hogan on the mic, and Hogan surely wasn't going to keep up with Kidman's high-flying cruiserweight style in the ring, but in a different setting, I could imagine a moderately successful program with Kidman as the underdog babyface against an unambiguously-heel Hollywood Hogan (even this is a stretch - I don't think Kidman ever had the presence to be a believable opponent for Hogan, but he was a talented guy who could have maybe had an upper-midcard run). But it definitely had no chance of working with... well, whatever the hell Russo was doing then.
It was enough to get me to believe things would change, but I was impossibly naive. Kidman feuding with Hogan was unthinkable in 1998. Cruiserweights were jokes to heavyweights. We all love that who are you to doubt El Dandy promo, 'cause it was legit hilarious, but it was demonstrative of WCW's caste system. When Kidman called out Hogan, there was a hot minute where it felt like WCW was about to blow all that up and let people ascend.

But, well... yeah.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

JOHN CENA posted:

i think the last wcw ppv that my uncle ordered was whichever one had buff daddy vs roddy piper in a boxing match. i excused myself maybe two matches in to play pod racers 64 with my cousin instead. sebulba was overpowered. i had stopped watching nitro and thunder long before then though. i'd occasionally watch saturday night but sometime in late 1998 it just turned into a clip show, or maybe i hit a bad stretch of weeks but thats when i quit watching outright. i think goldberg's streak ending (which i didnt see, only heard about) was the first time i thought the wrestling company was stupid, rather than the wrestlers.

That PPV was godawful poo poo but it did have the junkyard invitational which was probably one of the most surreal matches WCW ever produced. Luchadors and a random assortment of losers having one giant hardcore match in a junkyard ending with fit finlay climbing over a fence and a bunch of people getting injured

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 10, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
With all the money they spent over the years, they couldn't have just built a gimmicked junkyard?

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

DJExile posted:

they were still paying Buffer to announce.

When did that end? They had to continue until close to the end, yes?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

IronCladBurrito posted:

When did that end? They had to continue until close to the end, yes?

And why? Did they really trick themselves into thinking he brought a certain level of prestige that they still needed until they were dead in the dirt? Or was there some inescapable contract that they couldn't get out of? I would understand bringing him in to do like, Starrcade once a year or even the main even of a bigger Nitro like the Georgia Dome one but it was wild to me how often he was there with how much he cost.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
i always thought part of the reason they hired Buffer, other than the star power he could provide, was so WWF could never use him for the Royal Rumble.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Buffer's "let's get ready to rumbllllleeeeeee" call was ubiquitous across sports and pop culture through the mid to late 90s. I think WCW was convinced it added a certain weight and gravitas to their events.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

No idea how true it was, but I'd always heard that Buffer was paid by the spoken word. Which led to his ridiculous intros like "Ladies and gentlemen, he is the bad boy of basketball, he's so bad that he's good, and that's very bad. He is the Bad Boy Dennis Rodman"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Bret "Hitman" Clark

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

And why? Did they really trick themselves into thinking he brought a certain level of prestige that they still needed until they were dead in the dirt? Or was there some inescapable contract that they couldn't get out of? I would understand bringing him in to do like, Starrcade once a year or even the main even of a bigger Nitro like the Georgia Dome one but it was wild to me how often he was there with how much he cost.

He was on an annual contract for some amount of dates (I don't think it was every Nitro and PPV but it was close) and he brought some big event feeling to the show. I think his contract ran out in mid 2000, but I'm not sure. I feel like I remember a Bruce Buffer story about it being negotiated in the summer. But he was cool to have on the show when things were hot, and it wasn't a huge expense for a company making that much money, so like Hogan using Voodoo Child (Slight Return) it was cool to have. But like every big WCW contract they held onto it a little too long!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

No idea how true it was, but I'd always heard that Buffer was paid by the spoken word. Which led to his ridiculous intros like "Ladies and gentlemen, he is the bad boy of basketball, he's so bad that he's good, and that's very bad. He is the Bad Boy Dennis Rodman"

I think that turned out to be bullshit. He's almost assuredly paid by appearance.

E: or what MRT said

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

maybe he did long ridiculous intros because his job is to entertain people. just a thought i had

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shaking my head at no buff bagwell michael buffer tag team

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

oldpainless posted:

Shaking my head at no buff bagwell michael buffer tag team

Buff The Stuff and Buffer The Stuffer just writes itself

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Ultimate Super Big Man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
"I'm Buff and I'm in Buffalo :haw:"

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Can we help this guy find this shirt?

https://twitter.com/EverythingABong/status/1292859288654876680?s=19

He smoked weed out a fleshlight and is p cool

https://twitter.com/EverythingABong/status/1291601537706405893?s=19

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If anyone can, it's probably this guy: https://twitter.com/silvamore

He pulls a lot of weird old vintage stuff out of the depths. His prices on new and old stuff can be kind of crazy at times, but if your dream is a Big Poppa Pump x Taz shirt you're probably willing to pay for it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
ok, so I setup a twitch thing for wrestling. It turned out be a lot easier than I thought it would be.

https://www.twitch.tv/classicwrestling

right now its just a playlist of some old Mid-Atlantic.

But you can let me know if you want to see WCW stuff or WCCW or whatever. I have all sorts of wrestling.

And it can be used for people doing like simulwatching I guess, if its easier than psp-tv.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did they ever pull Buffer out for a Thunder? I can't imagine they ever gave enough of a poo poo about that show to do so.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did they ever pull Buffer out for a Thunder? I can't imagine they ever gave enough of a poo poo about that show to do so.

David Arquette won the world title on Thunder!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Hedgehog Pie posted:

David Arquette won the world title on Thunder!

I was there. Greatest night in the history of our sport!

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

His imdb profile lists a few Thunders, all in 1998.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MD2020 posted:

His imdb profile lists a few Thunders, all in 1998.

From the looks of things, these would have been the main events:

June 24 - Giant and Brian Adams vs. Sting and Kevin Nash (tag team title match)
October 1 - Goldberg vs. Raven (WCW title match)
October 8 - Lex Luger vs. Stevie Ray
October 15 - Dean Malenko vs. Stevie Ray

So, you have two championship matches with at least some main-event representation... and then you have two Stevie Ray matches. I mean, I liked Stevie Ray and Dean Malenko both, but that's not a match you need to bring in Buffer for. I actually remember him calling the Luger/Ray match and saying they were "two guys who hate each other's guts" or something because there was basically nothing else he could say to build that match up.

I do remember Stevie being in a lot of nWo stuff for a while there, so maybe they were trying him out for an upper-midcard push before realizing he wasn't getting over with the crowd. He was a complete afterthought just a month or two later.

Having Buffer calling matches like that on Thunder may have hurt more than it helped. When you see Buffer trying to hype up Stevie Ray as the main event, it highlights how weak of a show you're watching.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I assume that they flew him in with X match in mind for the main event and by the time he went to the ring it turned into Y match.

because WCW.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
At least his fees were consistent

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Flight Bisque posted:

I assume that they flew him in with X match in mind for the main event and by the time he went to the ring it turned into Y match.

because WCW.
Yeah, top guys no-showing was par for the course. It was even worse for house shows.

E: Happy Birthday Hulk!

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 12, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Booker back there doing his best Stanley from the Office impression.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

rujasu posted:

From the looks of things, these would have been the main events:

June 24 - Giant and Brian Adams vs. Sting and Kevin Nash (tag team title match)
October 1 - Goldberg vs. Raven (WCW title match)
October 8 - Lex Luger vs. Stevie Ray
October 15 - Dean Malenko vs. Stevie Ray

So, you have two championship matches with at least some main-event representation... and then you have two Stevie Ray matches. I mean, I liked Stevie Ray and Dean Malenko both, but that's not a match you need to bring in Buffer for. I actually remember him calling the Luger/Ray match and saying they were "two guys who hate each other's guts" or something because there was basically nothing else he could say to build that match up.

I do remember Stevie being in a lot of nWo stuff for a while there, so maybe they were trying him out for an upper-midcard push before realizing he wasn't getting over with the crowd. He was a complete afterthought just a month or two later.

Having Buffer calling matches like that on Thunder may have hurt more than it helped. When you see Buffer trying to hype up Stevie Ray as the main event, it highlights how weak of a show you're watching.

Remember when Stevie Ray main event War Games in 98 with 8 of the biggest stars of the 90s and it was obvious he was going to be the guy to eat the loss as soon as he was announced for the match

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

My favourite Bufferism is when he referred to Goldberg as a "cult favourite" and said his finishers were "The POWER SPEAR" and "The Inverted Lift and Body Slam and Pin".

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I can get behind the spear not working and Goldberg having to resort to the POWER SPEAR

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So some wrestlers are Stiff and it's almost a compliment. You hear a lot about Vader and Hansten being stiff and it's one of their more vaunted traits.

But then others are "Stiff" and it's bad. I'm thinking mainly of Rick Steiner here thanks to a Retro podcast I'm listening to. I always heard he had a reputation for being a total ring bully and it reminded me of how he I think powerslammed Asya, the bodybuilder lady WCW brought in. Rick is a fuckin' monster and could legit hurt and beat up men twice her size and he's giving her slams when he's known for hurting people.

But what's the difference her? Intent? Rick is just a shithead and wanted to hurt people? Maybe he did it to everyone, even those who "couldn't take it" while somebody like Vader was more professional? I can't imagine Vader being stiff with somebody like Michaels.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So some wrestlers are Stiff and it's almost a compliment. You hear a lot about Vader and Hansten being stiff and it's one of their more vaunted traits.

But then others are "Stiff" and it's bad. I'm thinking mainly of Rick Steiner here thanks to a Retro podcast I'm listening to. I always heard he had a reputation for being a total ring bully and it reminded me of how he I think powerslammed Asya, the bodybuilder lady WCW brought in. Rick is a fuckin' monster and could legit hurt and beat up men twice her size and he's giving her slams when he's known for hurting people.

But what's the difference her? Intent? Rick is just a shithead and wanted to hurt people? Maybe he did it to everyone, even those who "couldn't take it" while somebody like Vader was more professional? I can't imagine Vader being stiff with somebody like Michaels.

It's really more of a difference between "stiff" and "wreckless". You can be a stiff but good pro wrestler. Vader, Hansen, and others could work stiff but also make sure the big moves were safe.

A good example was the Nitro the night after War Games '96, where Benoit and Mongo work against Luger, and Bryan Alvarez put it about perfectly. Lex is a body builder who wants to do the bare minimum to get over, he just wants to look good. Benoit makes him work a match and worked pretty stiff but obviously knew what he was doing in there. Then Mongo tags in and just fuckin' hurls Lex across the ring, Lex lands really awkwardly and it clearly hurts him. Bryan said something like "it suddenly occurs to Lex that he'd actually rather be in there against Benoit. Benoit won't injure you."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Vader also had a reputation for feeling pretty goddamn bad if he *really* up and hurt someone. Steiners probably didn't give a poo poo

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DJExile posted:

It's really more of a difference between "stiff" and "wreckless". You can be a stiff but good pro wrestler. Vader, Hansen, and others could work stiff but also make sure the big moves were safe.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Hansen totally safe when he couldn't see without his glasses and just swung for the fences with his lariat anyway. Vader also had a rep for bullying jobbers, and feeling bad about it later never seemed to stop him from doing it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

According to Cornette, he was stiff with Michaels, Michaels threw a tantrum, and the fallout hurt Vader's career in WWE.

I understand the logic here: if I hit you with my car because I wasn't paying attention, or I hit you with my car on purpose, you still get hurt. But someone trying to hurt you is generally more dangerous than someone just being rough. The Steiners bullied people in and out of the ring. Hansen and Vader were stiff because that's the style their Japanese audience wanted. Gangrel talked about having to adjust a lot when he got to WWE because he had his first real success in All Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Good stiff is hitting exactly as hard as you yourself would accept being hit, in safe places.

Bad stiff is just hitting as hard as you can, getting mad if you get hit that hard yourself, or throwing people around without due care for how safely they land