Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I worship at the altar of this fine employer provided machine

If you ever feel like screwing around, most touchscreen coffee machines have service screens that let you set up a Wi-Fi connection and do custom screensavers, brewing messages, or even custom brewing recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Heffer posted:

If you ever feel like screwing around, most touchscreen coffee machines have service screens that let you set up a Wi-Fi connection and do custom screensavers, brewing messages, or even custom brewing recipes.

Our marketing department figured this out so our coffee machine always has commercials for our products on it now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seems like a good way to do company announcements, actually. You know, pre-pandemic. I don't drink coffee and at the MSP I sat not far from the kitchen, so my experience is just putting a QR code up that linked to our documentation on how the coffee pot works.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Some of us still have to go to the office occasionally and originally they shut the coffee machine down but everyone forced to go in threw a huge fit, rightfully so.

J
Jun 10, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Our marketing department figured this out so our coffee machine always has commercials for our products on it now.

Now I'm imagining nightmare tickets about the commercials on the coffee maker not working, this is affecting production and costing us millions of dollars!!!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

you ate my cat posted:

I think we only have 12, but I'm also in legal. Two of those are iManage components, though, so they count double.

We've had pretty good luck forcing the addins to be enabled via the resiliency registry settings in Outlook 2019, though. Better than in 2010 where they would disable themselves for any reason, regardless of what you set.

I can't stand iManage. It's one of the main culprits. CAS archive solutions of older email attachments is the worst. That poo poo just constantly breaks.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zotix posted:

I can't stand iManage. It's one of the main culprits. CAS archive solutions of older email attachments is the worst. That poo poo just constantly breaks.

Oy....

One of the major projects I've been basically dragging my feet on is migrating iManage from some cloud provider to a local server. I've never dealt with iManage in any way, but just looking at the install instructions it seems like a traditional big enterprise piece of crap product that takes a lot of setting up and tweaking to run correctly. Which is great since I'm migrating it for literally two people to use.

I suppose I may as well ask, has anyone migrated iManage Work? This would be 9.3 to 9.5, basically just copying database backups and restoring on new server. Are there any big gotchas to worry about?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Got a zoom interview to do networks at a decent size retail chain next week. The person I spoke to in the phone interview basically said they were outsourcing their infrastructure for a long time, and that other than the infrastructure director, I would be the only IT that isn’t one of the help desk people. I have a laundry list of questions, there are about 150 remote sites, so a big one is who is handling servers, and are there concrete plans to further expand the infrastructure team. What’s the overall state of the network, documentation, etc.

I’m mostly fine with having to spend time doing discovery and documenting anything the consultants didnt as long as I have the time to figure things out before having a million critical projects dumped on me.

Can anybody recommend some questions for the director to help me feel out exactly what kind of poo poo storm i would be walking into? I’ve been out of work for several months now so I’m not really in a position to walk away from an offer unless there’s some extreme reason.

Also may have lowballed myself by giving up salary expectations before knowing this will probably be quite a bit more responsibility than I expected. She said my number is within the budget. If I did get an offer for the exact number I gave, it’s kosher to counter with a decently higher number given the circumstances, right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tetramin posted:

Got a zoom interview to do networks at a decent size retail chain next week. The person I spoke to in the phone interview basically said they were outsourcing their infrastructure for a long time, and that other than the infrastructure director, I would be the only IT that isn’t one of the help desk people. I have a laundry list of questions, there are about 150 remote sites, so a big one is who is handling servers, and are there concrete plans to further expand the infrastructure team. What’s the overall state of the network, documentation, etc.

I’m mostly fine with having to spend time doing discovery and documenting anything the consultants didnt as long as I have the time to figure things out before having a million critical projects dumped on me.

Can anybody recommend some questions for the director to help me feel out exactly what kind of poo poo storm i would be walking into? I’ve been out of work for several months now so I’m not really in a position to walk away from an offer unless there’s some extreme reason.

Also may have lowballed myself by giving up salary expectations before knowing this will probably be quite a bit more responsibility than I expected. She said my number is within the budget. If I did get an offer for the exact number I gave, it’s kosher to counter with a decently higher number given the circumstances, right?

Its always okay to counter. There is a small amount of risk involved with it because humans don't make much sense, but it just depends on how desperate you are to have a job.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Heffer posted:

ah the ol HTCPCP

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm a few pages behind because I have a coding exercise as homework for an interview that asked for an ansible+[vagrant or terraform] implementation to POC some open source thing that has an Ansible module.

I know none of those.

I'm still freaked out at Ansible and the POC tech, though 😕 I have until Monday.

For those of you following along at home:

Terraform is mostly easy, with a few tricky bits. Ansible is beyond loving easy in a superficial POC fashion with like one tricky bit if you're trying to orchestrate it all from Terraform. The POC tech is beyond loving simple to implement in a superficial POC fashion. I spent about 30 hours on this exercise, much of which was googling syntax and then getting it wrong. Of those 30 hours, I wasted about 10 hours trying to figure out why the POC tech wasn't working. The documentation says "you have to use this special CentOS package, go to this special CentOS group and get it from their repo" and the special CentOS group says "We've made it super easy for you to use our packages, it's included by default!". Well, it loving turns out no it isn't. After 10 hours of chasing down why the gently caress my daemon wasn't successfully installing and in fact there being no evidence of it ever even trying to install, I switched to Fedora and dnf from RHEL and yum and there was the missing loving package. It was only a couple hours after that before I was done.

Other than that, the bulk of the time I spent banging my head against the wall was trying to get Terraform to dynamically write an Ansible hosts file so that I could shove it inside one of my instances. The rest of it was normal syntax bullshit. And like a lot of scripting and programming, now I have some templates to hack apart for the next time I want to do something. Whichever person said Ansible was like turning a wiki page into a build script was right. I'm sure there's head scratchers buried in there somewhere, but for things that have modules that do the heavy lifting for you, it's amazing.

Tomorrow I have to prettify my 3 million page README.md file which contextualizes all the hacky garbage I did for my MVP and discusses how I would make it better. And then Monday submit it.

Thanks goons.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Other than that, the bulk of the time I spent banging my head against the wall was trying to get Terraform to dynamically write an Ansible hosts file so that I could shove it inside one of my instances.

Thanks goons.

What's this now? Why did you want to write an inventory to the hosts?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Terraform to dynamically write an Ansible hosts file so that I could shove it inside one of my instances
Thanks goons.

don't do this. just use the official ec2 dynamic inventory source.

also posts are just better if there is less gratuitous swearing

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 9, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Methanar posted:

Huh, thats pretty cool.

Also no.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Plug in chat. We don't use Outlook, we're a GApps and Chrome shop. We do have I think 8 Chrome extensions pushed as mandatory; people search, training link with badge notifications so you know when you got a new one assigned and the email never showed up (it ties into Workday so it's kinda hosed up), a link to the site full of IT request forms and the chat link to Service Desk, and a few other less-visible utilities. Most of these are in-house, but some things are judged important enough to be done exactly the way we want them, and we're big enough to do it - our Nexthink license buy was for 130,000 seats.

Next week I expect to encounter our in-house Excel plugins for the first time and that should be a jumbo can of fresh hell. IT didn't develop them, one of the R&D groups did.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

J posted:

Now I'm imagining nightmare tickets about the commercials on the coffee maker not working, this is affecting production and costing us millions of dollars!!!

This is reality, not a joke

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mllaneza posted:

... and we're big enough to do it - our Nexthink license buy was for 130,000 seats.

:stare:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Goddamn, imagine managing 130000 scientists

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

orange sky posted:

Goddamn, imagine managing 130000 scientists

Cattle, not pets

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

mllaneza posted:

Next week I expect to encounter our in-house Excel plugins for the first time and that should be a jumbo can of fresh hell. IT didn't develop them, one of the R&D groups did.
Now that's a bunch of words I wouldn't have expected to read

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Ansible's ec2 inventory source kind of sucks. At my previous employer we used a lookup plugin that parsed state files combined with add_host. The grammar for this one is fun since lookup plugins can be appended to tasks with the form "with_pluginname" (in our case, with_tfstate).

What I would recommend instead though, since parsing terraform state is not fun, is run your terraform apply through ansible's terraform module. If you register this to a variable you'll get a dictionary of all of the outputs, so just cram your connection info into a bunch of terraform outputs and then use them to connect.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

mllaneza posted:

Microsoft gives you the ability to create, but not the ability to manage.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

You guys get coffee machines!?! we had to all chip in and buy our own

My office had nitrogenated cold-brew which was smooth as silk, like drinking a sort of silky soft chocolate-coffee milk and would get you wired more than you should be wired.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Coffee Jones posted:

My office had nitrogenated cold-brew which was smooth as silk, like drinking a sort of silky soft chocolate-coffee milk and would get you wired more than you should be wired.

Is that the only point of the nitrogen? I was wondering what those mini cans of monster energy with nitrogen were for

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Had a phone screen with a very well funded non-profit on Friday, it would be awesome if I could get the job as they are doing some good stuff in the world, but I feel like I did poorly and was somewhat unprepared; it was my first interview in a year+.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Agrikk posted:

I was in a team meeting where we were talking about work life balance. The message was “you have PTO. You should use it.”

One colleague chimes in with, “I resent that you are telling me what to do. YOU CANT MAKE ME TAKE PTO.”

Talk about completely missing the point of the discussion.

in fairness, some people really hate spending time with their lovely spouse and kids. We have one C-level who spends all day in our empty office right now with no air conditioning, just to keep away from them. I respect that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Matt Zerella posted:

Cattle, not pets

Our tooth to tail ratio is about 1:6 scientists to support of all kinds, we've got the labs up again, manufacturing has been at full blast the whole time, and QC is staffing up to start a new line after an FDA approval. That puts us at about 2400 out of 14,000 people on-campus, and a lot of that figure only show up part-time. Researchers show up, start experiments, and leave. I myself am included in the 2400 figure, but I'm only actually on-site 6-8 days a month.

Pity about the brand-new, state of the art 8-story Open Space format office building we opened right before Covid hit. That's a whole bunch of people who'll be WFH for a long time. That may be for the best from an IT perspective; I've heard they brought the network up before they got AC into the switch rooms, so Layer 2 acts funny sometimes.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Now neither NFS nor LDAP are working in prod anymore because they were hosted on old servers that died last month, so everything is now local to each individual machine. That's what we call 'best practices.'

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Biowarfare posted:

Is that the only point of the nitrogen? I was wondering what those mini cans of monster energy with nitrogen were for

Don't know about Monster Energy.
There's a few Starbucks places that offer it, but its creamy like draft Guinness, very tiny bubbles, not like carbonation.
Different texture altogether from standard cold brew.

That was a Sometimes Drink, because Starbucks wants $6 )or $11 for the single origin stuff at a Roastery or Starbucks Reserve).
Work brought a tap in and replaced the keg every week. And then the virus hit.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Coffee Jones posted:

Just tried some at starbucks... it's dangerous :)

I'm glad it's kind of expensive and inconvenient. I'd be drinking way too much if I could just get it whenever I wanted.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

J posted:

At a startup I worked at years ago I showed the ceo the fancy coffee machine I had installed (one of the first commercial make everything models) he loved it, except when he saw decaf in one of the hoppers, and immediately told the installer to empty that hopper and never supply us with decaf, he's not paying paying his employees to drink free decaf.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://thehackernews.com/2020/08/teamviewer-password-hacking.html
Stop using teamviewer folks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

The EC2 dynamic inventory source isn't great for provisioning servers within large infrastructures, because you're always caught in the middle of "why is this loving script taking 10 minutes to run" or "the cache will not represent the servers I just created for at least another 5 minutes".

The good news is that for whatever custom logic you need, Ansible inventory and cache plugins are not actually difficult to write at all, and will result in something much more robust than trying to get Terraform to dynamically generate your Ansible

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I've been using RDP to log into my (duel screen) work setup remotely. If I had two screens at home, would I be able to get my work computer to display on both screens?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Maigius posted:

I've been using RDP to log into my (duel screen) work setup remotely. If I had two screens at home, would I be able to get my work computer to display on both screens?

RDP has support dual screen for a long time.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Maigius posted:

Yes.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

*in small business voice* no

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You can have my LogMeIn account when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have so many lovely awful SCADA vendors I work with that will hopefully learn a painful lesson...

Who am I kidding, they'll just come up with some new terrible remote access software and charge an arm and a leg for it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've been advocating against teamviewer for a while, this isn't the first time they've had problems like this.

Can someone please tell me how teamviewer got the intune integration, because we're working on migrating to intune and higher ups are insisting teamviewer comes along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

I've been advocating against teamviewer for a while, this isn't the first time they've had problems like this.

Can someone please tell me how teamviewer got the intune integration, because we're working on migrating to intune and higher ups are insisting teamviewer comes along for the ride.

The answer is always the same. $$$$ got them the integration.