Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

facialimpediment posted:

We're not the only country cooking up vaccine candidates, data collection isn't completely up to the vaccine makers, and the vaccine makers could have company-killing PR if they gently caress with the data and kill people.

I'm getting the vaccine as soon as its available likely since I'm still in, but :lol: if you think these companies would die from killing people.

https://www.hhs.gov/opioids/about-the-epidemic/index.html

And the Sackler family may still get to keep the profits even with Purdue Pharma going under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Fallom posted:

Yeah I also think I have a different perspective on it since I don't get to sit at home anymore to ride this out. If the vaccine is only 20% effective then that's 20% better for me.

I mean.. it's really just a difficult concept to grab.

You can either take years to develop a safe, effective vaccine that we will know do a great job at creating herd immunity and protecting vulnerable populations. The sacrifice is that takes time, and many more humans on this world will suffer the fate of dying from COVID the longer we continue to work on a vaccine.

At the same time, pushing out a vaccine super quick runs a huge risk that it's not effective, and potentially causing many side effects if it's not properly tested. I want to believe that the vaccine we get out there will hopefully have a bit of column A and column B... Enough of an immune response to help us battle this pandemic off and reduce the amount of needless deaths because john gives zero fucks that he's been feeling sick but wants to go to the grocery store and touch everything because he's an indecisive shopper and refuses to eat products that weren't made in the U.S

Either way I'll just keep donning my respirator at work and scaring the gently caress out of little kids while im trying to shove ibuprofen down their throat.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Enjoy this clip!

https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/1292805515471454209?s=19

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Didn't a lot of people here get the DoD vaccine cocktail full of who loving knows already? I guess if you aren't in you have a choice.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone else having a hard time seeing conservatives as their fellow Americans after all of this? I'm having difficulty seeing what value, if any, they provide to the United States.

Working class whites complain about the perceived superiority of coastal liberal "elites" but all they're doing is proving that they're just as dumb as we always thought they were.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
As we get closer and closer to the election, there are more and more touch points where Donnie's version of unreality can't reach like it normally does.

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1292845116797997056?s=19

One thing that I think will sink him for in-person voting: Halloween. I think trick-or-treating is basically going to be cancelled nationwide, only a few days before the election!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

iwentdoodie posted:

Which is hilarious since so much of the anti Vax movement is liberal.
Don't want to bother digging up the sources, but I've generally heard that the association between liberals and the anti-vax movement has been wildly overblown in the past and, with the current massive crossover with QAnon folk, can certainly no longer said to be accurate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Watch trick‐or‐treating happen anyway.

It’s a perfect storm of “it’s outdoors”, “kids are immune”, and “tradition”—not that any of these are deserved.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lightpole posted:

Didn't a lot of people here get the DoD vaccine cocktail full of who loving knows already? I guess if you aren't in you have a choice.

I went in for my experimental AIDS vaccine last week but so far nothing for COVID-19. China definitely gave their soldiers something, though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

As we get closer and closer to the election, there are more and more touch points where Donnie's version of unreality can't reach like it normally does.

One thing that I think will sink him for in-person voting: Halloween. I think trick-or-treating is basically going to be cancelled nationwide, only a few days before the election!

How will we determine which rapist halloween mask will determine the winner?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Platystemon posted:

It’s a perfect storm of “it’s outdoors”, “kids are immune”, and “tradition”—not that any of these are deserved.

Everyone does "trunk or treat" in their church or school parking lot these days anyways where parents just line up all of their cars and kids go up to each.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Platystemon posted:

I thought the outdoors thing was still considered somewhat effective (when combined with masks and social distance)?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

WON'T SOMEONE ~PLEASE~ THINK OF THE CANDY COMPANIES?!?!?!?!?!

There's already Halloween-themed candy hitting the shelves. I think they're hoping that selling it sooner might cushion the loss.

But yeah, really looking forward to the parents taking video of their crying kids who didn't get any candy because "no one would open their door" and how this is proof of :hurr:.

RFC2324 posted:

I thought the outdoors thing was still considered somewhat effective (when combined with masks and social distance)?

It's a practice that entails a group of children (who won't want to wear a mask because it'll ruin their immersion) yelling/screaming TRICK OR TREAT at you before putting their ungloved hands into a bowl full of wrappers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 10, 2020

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Cugel the Clever posted:

Don't want to bother digging up the sources, but I've generally heard that the association between liberals and the anti-vax movement has been wildly overblown in the past and, with the current massive crossover with QAnon folk, can certainly no longer said to be accurate.

At least in my neck of the woods (Louisiana at the time), anti-vax stuff really took root among the religous conservatives after the schools tried to offer the HPV vaccine to girls. Because, you know, death and/or disfigurement from cervical cancer is a small price to pay for purity!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Everyone does "trunk or treat" in their church or school parking lot these days anyways where parents just line up all of their cars and kids go up to each.

This is the most depressing thing I've ever heard

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mustang posted:

Anyone else having a hard time seeing conservatives as their fellow Americans after all of this?

I just don't. They won't come for me (for a good while) but they'd gladly kill my Brother in Law and my trans niece or be happy to let them die. They've actively made choices that have hosed over some of my employees etc.

Cugel the Clever posted:

It used to be more of an "upper class educated" problem back when non-medical exemptions weren't as widespread. To be an antivaxxer you had to be wealthy enough to have your kid in a private school. The early hotbeds of antivaxx related outbreaks were rich areas outside LA, SF and like Austin, TX etc. This was in the early 2000s and these people tended to be more liberal than not.

Now it's much more along partisan lines, but you still have shitloads of capital L Liberals that support it as well, again still the middle/upper class in non-science backgrounds being more likely. Part of the reason it went more partisan is due to:

Discussion Quorum posted:

At least in my neck of the woods (Louisiana at the time), anti-vax stuff really took root among the religous conservatives after the schools tried to offer the HPV vaccine to girls. Because, you know, death and/or disfigurement from cervical cancer is a small price to pay for purity!

this.

That Works fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 10, 2020

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My rack mate in OCS was 100% a loving anti-vaxxer and his uncle was a massive Qanon believer, talking about how vaccines were made with undead baby fetuses.

I went from being in a bay with 60 candidates and four sergeant instructors to eating at some lovely chain resturant in Dumfries hearing about how Hillary has a lesbian love afair and murder fetish of young children, along with how vaccines are actually causing autism and controlling the population to vote democrat.

he of course was a hardcore evangelical and thought that god needed more of a place in the marines, and that I was doing a disservice to the corps by not being religious.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

To add to concerns about holidays, Thanksgiving travel is gonna be what? Like 10% of usual? That, combined with the ongoing lack of business travel, makes me think we're gonna see several massive airlines go under or merge for survival.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

My neighborhood gets shitloads of trick or treaters and all my neighbors for miles go nuts decorating. It owns. That trunk-or-treat stuff is lame.

Guess we won't be doing it this year but whatever.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mustang posted:

Anyone else having a hard time seeing conservatives as their fellow Americans after all of this? I'm having difficulty seeing what value, if any, they provide to the United States.

TBH yes. I want to punch the next chud who thanks me for protecting his freedoms when he can't be bothered to wear a loving mask or not go to a crowded bar.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

To add to concerns about holidays, Thanksgiving travel is gonna be what? Like 10% of usual? That, combined with the ongoing lack of business travel, makes me think we're gonna see several massive airlines go under or merge for survival.

Alaska just extended their "buy one seat, get [half] the row free" promo, so yeah, it's gonna be interesting.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Nice and hot piss posted:

My rack mate in OCS was 100% a loving anti-vaxxer and his uncle was a massive Qanon believer, talking about how vaccines were made with undead baby fetuses.

I went from being in a bay with 60 candidates and four sergeant instructors to eating at some lovely chain resturant in Dumfries hearing about how Hillary has a lesbian love afair and murder fetish of young children, along with how vaccines are actually causing autism and controlling the population to vote democrat.

he of course was a hardcore evangelical and thought that god needed more of a place in the marines, and that I was doing a disservice to the corps by not being religious.

People like that loving scare me. Brainwashed believers who want to spread their crazy to everyone else or kill them instead.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress halloween, labor day is just a few weeks away.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Halloween is a red holiday for goods are redistributed to all who seek them

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mustang posted:

Working class whites complain about the perceived superiority of coastal liberal "elites" but all they're doing is proving that they're just as dumb as we always thought they were.

Yes, I feel like I'm living in an entirely different country then they are. Partially because each individual state being allowed to choose its own response to a pandemic has made it feel like 50 individual countries rather then 1 big one. I'm not sure if we should fix that at some point in the future or not.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

With the "Payroll Tax Holiday" the administration is talking up, how will we pay for social security? Isn't the program basically bankrupt? Congress isn't capable of passing funding for what is happening now.

What's the over/under on elderly/disabled people missing a social security payement?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nice and hot piss posted:

Wha~? but... You get vaccinated in the military. It's the only institution that foreal puts administrative pressure and a gun to your head if you don't consent to the shot in the arm. So he got vaccinated I wanna know if he did indeed vote Democrat against his God given will.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Discussion Quorum posted:

Yeah I grew up in deep blue America, and my first awareness of that whole movement was a couple guys in the USMC who were super Christian and seemed to be anti vax based on the idea that science, as a whole, was suspect. Later on I got whiplash seeing it be a thing with liberal suburbanites.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ASAPI posted:

With the "Payroll Tax Holiday" the administration is talking up, how will we pay for social security? Isn't the program basically bankrupt? Congress isn't capable of passing funding for what is happening now.

What's the over/under on elderly/disabled people missing a social security payement?

Also from my understanding it's not a tax holiday for the individual, but their employer. So like someone in the discord said, it's employees giving their employers an interest free loan (since it has to be paid back when the holiday is over).

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fallom posted:

My neighborhood gets shitloads of trick or treaters and all my neighbors for miles go nuts decorating. It owns. That trunk-or-treat stuff is lame.

Guess we won't be doing it this year but whatever.

Yeah, I am finally at a point in my life where I live in the neighborhood that all the kids from across town come to to trick or treat. I spend a couple hundred bucks on candy and give out a poo poo ton each year. All you have to do is be in a costume and you get a handful of sweets.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Best Friends posted:

Yeah I grew up in deep blue America, and my first awareness of that whole movement was a couple guys in the USMC who were super Christian and seemed to be anti vax based on the idea that science, as a whole, was suspect. Later on I got whiplash seeing it be a thing with liberal suburbanites.

The best I can tell it's a subset of people who see their children as high priced status symbols and that one of them could come out broken is an impossibility

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The best I can tell it's a subset of people who see their children as high priced status symbols and that one of them could come out broken is an impossibility

This is a lot of it. People like that hate things that throw a wrench in their perfect life plans, particularly ones completely outside of their control.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"Some-body once told me I'm gonna catch the 'roni, I ain't the sharpest tool in the Pandemic"

https://twitter.com/JElvisWeinstein/status/1292881066022207488?s=20

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Wha~? but... You get vaccinated in the military. It's the only institution that foreal puts administrative pressure and a gun to your head if you don't consent to the shot in the arm. So he got vaccinated I wanna know if he did indeed vote Democrat against his God given will.

Exactly. He said that he started realizing all these awful things after he let God into his life. He sounds like he was a cool dude back when he was new to the Marines but once he got married and what I'm assuming is hosed around too much, he found God and thus became hateful of all things science.

He still says he will get the flu shot because the "Marines force that poo poo illegally but what can do you" on us. But he and his wife are the most anti vaxxer/anti everything rational I ever met

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If anyone remembers the 2012 derecho that slammed WV/MD/DC, Cedar Rapids, Davenport and Chicago are about to get rekt with straight-line winds up to 120MPH.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/pwo.html

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 10, 2020

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

If anyone remembers the 2012 derecho that slammed WV/MD/DC, Cedar Rapids, Davenport and Chicago are about to get rekt with straight-line winds up to 120MPH.

Yeah, a couple of us were just talking about this in the weatherpocalypse thread. That's going to suuuuck.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mustang posted:

I'm getting really drat sick of the "smart" conservatives and centrists who try to defend it as anything more than a wholly evil ideology. They wrap themselves in knots to try to rationalize "fiscal responsibility" as a good thing but absolutely refuse to connect the dots to what we're seeing now, which is leaving people to die of something that's easily preventable. And the worst part is they have Trump as an easy scapegoat for all these problems. Conservativism isn't the problem, it's all just Trump messing things up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm getting really drat sick of the "smart" conservatives and centrists who try to defend it as anything more than a wholly evil ideology. They wrap themselves in knots to try to rationalize "fiscal responsibility" as a good thing but absolutely refuse to connect the dots to what we're seeing now, which is leaving people to die of something that's easily preventable. And the worst part is they have Trump as an easy scapegoat for all these problems. Conservativism isn't the problem, it's all just Trump messing things up.

Not an endorsement or a recommendation of the guy, but there are a few people that are basically seeing all of the above:
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/...F4FF&pdivflag=1

The really irritating part is that the people that have hosed us with this system will suffer no major effects from it. Sort of like the Iraq War creators.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shame on an IGA posted:

jesus this thing's no loving joke

https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1292877199125741571?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

uh, hope the neighbor's tree holds up.