Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Every homeowner has that thought at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Also it goes without saying but don't commit arson. It's exceptionally easy to detect and prove. Probably among the most difficult crimes to get away with.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's true. Instead just hire an unlicensed electrician to install your new welder dryer EV charger combo unit

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also it goes without saying but don't commit arson. It's exceptionally easy to detect and prove. Probably among the most difficult crimes to get away with.

If you actually light a fire, sure. But I'm pretty sure I could force a toaster or other appliance to start one for me that just looks like a failed toaster.

Not now that there's written evidence of my plan though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

It's true. Instead just hire an unlicensed electrician to install your new welder dryer EV charger combo unit

Probably wouldn't be covered..

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Some arson investigators are so good they can even detect arson where there isn’t any.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Obviously the answer is to hire an arsonist electrician off the dark web and pay them in bitcoins to do work while you're away on vacation and after having moved valuables off to a storage unit.

edit:

LloydDobler posted:

If you actually light a fire, sure. But I'm pretty sure I could force a toaster or other appliance to start one for me that just looks like a failed toaster.

Not now that there's written evidence of my plan though.

You say that, but it's like cutting brake lines on a car. To anyone who has any interest in looking, it'll be clear as day.

I mean sure, you CAN force an appliance to start a fire. But the way modern consumer appliances are regulated and designed, it'll be obvious that you tampered with it to make it happen.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 8, 2020

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
FYI people probably in general don’t know this in this thread but owning property can actually be pretty expensive

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I mean an oil fire in your deep fryer that you throw water on is hard to prove you intended to start versus being a dumbshit who then panicked. It will also likely involve you personally getting injured.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s why you put the frozen chicken on the angled cutting board

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I made the mistake of reading about fires due to dryer vent lint.

Kinda tempted to hire someone to come clean it out before the dryer install. But the vent looks pretty clean from the laundry room so.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Mine goes right through the wall outside and I just stick my arm in there to clean it out. Otherwise I'm sure there's a brush you can get for a lot less money than having someone out, and it doesn't take long.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Fallom posted:

That’s why you put the frozen chicken on the angled cutting board

Better call Saul in that case am I right amigo?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Kinda tempted to hire someone to come clean it out before the dryer install. But the vent looks pretty clean from the laundry room so.

Posting about it is a good way to establish plausible deniability imo

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

There is a half step in the garage, and I'm worried I'm the event of a blackout it is a tripping hazard. What is a good solution? Glow in the dark tape was my go to option, but that doesn't work if the garage is dark all the time. Motion activated led lights maybe?

I am almost done with the bathroom renovation. I need to caulk the crown molding with painter's caulk, prime, paint, add silicone caulk as needed and I'll be done!

They painted over the old caulking and it is hellacious to remove. I'm going to go at it with a razor blade as much as possible, and just caulk over it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Bioshuffle posted:

We cleaned ours out for the first time since we bought the place (~4 years, our realtor got the previous owners to clean it out before closing) and it wasn't bad, most of the build-up was down the line near the exhaust though. Our vent line is like 25 feet long though so we had to buy a bunch of poo poo to clean it out:

Drill-powered brush kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014CN8Y8/

Extra extension rods:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001652LO6

Works like a charm. Cheaper than hiring someone to do it.

Other annoying part is the laundry is 2nd floor, so the exhaust requires a ladder to get to. So between disconnecting the dryer, running everything through, and cleaning up, it was like an hour of work I think. If you have a basement laundry and/or a short vent line, it'll be way quicker.

H110Hawk posted:

I mean an oil fire in your deep fryer that you throw water on is hard to prove you intended to start versus being a dumbshit who then panicked. It will also likely involve you personally getting injured.

Look, the fire is caused by hot oil, so I thought throwing ice cubes on it would cool it down enough to stop the fire!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've had to clean out a very long dryer vent run and tried the drill powered brushes and let me tell you the best way to clean a vent:

A leaf blower. Seriously just disconnect your dryer, push the leaf blower exhaust up to the port and let it rip.

It'll blow out all the poo poo in your vent. In my case it was 2 bird nests and years of backed up lint.

Be warned, if your venting is rigid the pressure could cause issues, but I think lint would give before pipe.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Re caulking the white part of the shower this weekend (the part that didn’t leak) in order to avoid a future disaster.

Thanks corona.

Also, it sounds like nearly everyone on our street has water come in to their basement due to the hurricane. Apparently the neighbors two doors down had two feet, and partly want to blame our neighbors, who have a sump pump that drains close to their property line. Joy.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

I've had to clean out a very long dryer vent run and tried the drill powered brushes and let me tell you the best way to clean a vent:

A leaf blower. Seriously just disconnect your dryer, push the leaf blower exhaust up to the port and let it rip.

You really need to combine both. Wet lint can form a sticky mass on the sides of the vent pipe like cholesterol on your arteries. This is especially true if it's not all smooth wall pipe and/or you have elbows in the run. The mechanical action of the brush is sometimes the only thing that will knock off those lint deposits.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Anyone here remember a thread where a goon wound up buying his wife an account so she could expound on plumbing fixtures because she worked in the warranty department of a plumbing supply house? I have to choose some fixtures for the kitchen. I was liking Kingston Brass because the felt a lot more substantial but are at a decent price point. Then I looked at reviews online and they are mixed.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

SpartanIvy posted:

Be warned, if your venting is rigid the pressure could cause issues, but I think lint would give before pipe.
Thanks for the fun mental image!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

PokeJoe posted:

this but DIY it and don't forget the deep fried turkey add on. (Don't commit insurance fraud this is a joke)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Replacing a lawn mower blade has to be my least favorite home owner task so far. Switching out the blade was easy, but it’s nerve wracking to start the mower again and hope you tightened the bolt enough to keep the blade from whirling out at ankle/shin height.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Replacing a lawn mower blade has to be my least favorite home owner task so far. Switching out the blade was easy, but it’s nerve wracking to start the mower again and hope you tightened the bolt enough to keep the blade from whirling out at ankle/shin height.

That's why I always make sure I take a bunch of aspirin and drink a lot of alcohol to thin out my blood prior to starting it again. That way I probably won't live long enough to get to the hospital and have an amputation once the gangrene sets in.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

The first time I did this the blade did actually come off but it was pretty well contained by the body of the mower

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fallom posted:

The first time I did this the blade did actually come off but it was pretty well contained by the body of the mower

ANd honestly, by design.......they're not really going anywhere.

If the retaining bolt backs off they're not gonna be spinning very fast anymore. Simple solution for safety in that.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
Bought a house and now need to worry about lawn care. Anyone have a recommendation for an electric lawnmower for a pretty small yard?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

DaveSauce posted:

We cleaned ours out for the first time since we bought the place (~4 years, our realtor got the previous owners to clean it out before closing) and it wasn't bad, most of the build-up was down the line near the exhaust though. Our vent line is like 25 feet long though so we had to buy a bunch of poo poo to clean it out:

Drill-powered brush kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014CN8Y8/

Extra extension rods:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001652LO6

Works like a charm. Cheaper than hiring someone to do it.

Other annoying part is the laundry is 2nd floor, so the exhaust requires a ladder to get to. So between disconnecting the dryer, running everything through, and cleaning up, it was like an hour of work I think. If you have a basement laundry and/or a short vent line, it'll be way quicker.

I've been too busy repainting the whole house, but I'm pretty sure my dryer vent opens right into the attic. I should probably do something about that.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Bought a house and now need to worry about lawn care. Anyone have a recommendation for an electric lawnmower for a pretty small yard?

ego or ryobi from home depot

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

I got the Ego push mower 21" and have been extremely happy with it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sirotan posted:

Same.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Sirotan posted:

same

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

I've been too busy repainting the whole house, but I'm pretty sure my dryer vent opens right into the attic. I should probably do something about that.

That...shouldn't be and would be a not good thing. It probably vents up thru your attic and out the top of your roof.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

mattfl posted:

That...shouldn't be and would be a not good thing. It probably vents up thru your attic and out the top of your roof.

Wait. Maybe not. I know there's at least one vent that goes to the attic. It may be one of the bathroom vents.

The inspector said it was a common thing when my homes were built.

I have no idea where this is from. I should probably look into it or ask the inspector about it.

Found it. It's the vent from the upstairs bathroom.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 10, 2020

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
It's like you're getting free blown-in insulation every time you run the dryer

Free, extra-flammable, blown-in insulation.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Bioshuffle posted:

Wait. Maybe not. I know there's at least one vent that goes to the attic. It may be one of the bathroom vents.

I have no idea where this is from. I should probably look into it or ask the inspector about it.

Either way you want this fixed - we had a dryer vent going into the attic and our bathroom vent fans vented through the soffits (which our insulation contractors told us is ok, but not ideal).
Both are moisture concerns (and thus mold) and the dryer vent would be a fire hazard as well.
Should be a couple hundred bucks to fix

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

It's like you're getting free blown-in insulation every time you run the dryer

Free, extra-flammable, blown-in insulation.

Speaking of

I just dropped 870 US dollars to get 400sq ft of blow in insulation and a vent for my attic fan to get it to blow outside instead of into the attic.
Room is already a bit more comfortable.. next steps is walls and the 60s era windows. but that'll be awhile.

I'll recommend this guy to anyone now. He was one of the few that actually wanted to do the job. And didn't' give me a stupid "gently caress you" quote.. or recommend they cut a hole in the ceiling / roof to get the insulation in. Most of my quotes were in the 2k range.

Note: the attic is above an addition.. has a max of 16" from bottom of ceiling joist to roof.. it's 400sq ft. and previously had oh I dunno like 6" of insulation. so the room was generally 5-7° warmer than the rest of the house. So far best 870 I've spent. poo poo it would have cost me somewhere around $500 to get the insulation @ home depot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

Man this is just nuts. What's so hard about going through the dang roof? It took my electrician 30 minutes to properly install a cap with flashing and sealant.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Fallom posted:

Man this is just nuts. What's so hard about going through the dang roof? It took my electrician 30 minutes to properly install a cap with flashing and sealant.
The contractor who installed the vent is different from the contractor that installed the roof, and the GC did not have them talk to each other. I had the same issue in my current house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Fallom posted:

But the roof is so high up!