Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I wasn't getting much of an answer googling this, maybe because "it depends on the dealer", but do motorcycle dealers get a better deal with financing through the manufacturer? So if I finance through yamaha (0 apr deal right now), do they make a little on the kickback and therefore more likely to play ball on a lower price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

I wasn't getting much of an answer googling this, maybe because "it depends on the dealer", but do motorcycle dealers get a better deal with financing through the manufacturer? So if I finance through yamaha (0 apr deal right now), do they make a little on the kickback and therefore more likely to play ball on a lower price?

They'll get a small kickback but not much, maybe a point or two ($50-100 on $5000 financed). I financed w/ Yamaha when I bought my FZ09 because they were offering 0% for 3 months - if someone wants to loan me a few grand for three months at no charge, I'll take it - but it didn't give me any wiggle room with the dealer on the OTD price. All I got out of it was hanging onto my money for an extra three months and some coupons from Yamaha corporate that I never used.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I know financing a recreational vehicle isn't the best decision and it may be more than you're interested in spending, but Ducati is doing 0% up to five years on the majority of their bikes right now. Scramblers specifically, that's why I went with mine instead of something like an XSR700 or an SV650. Food for thought at least.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jcam posted:

I know financing a recreational vehicle isn't the best decision and it may be more than you're interested in spending, but Ducati is doing 0% up to five years on the majority of their bikes right now. Scramblers specifically, that's why I went with mine instead of something like an XSR700 or an SV650. Food for thought at least.

Yamaha has 0 for 36 months right now on that model. I'd love a Monster, but it's too much.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

builds character posted:

Honda just came out with their crf450L so if you don’t care as much about weight or power and don’t want slavvy to make fun of you then get that. A dude has gone round the world on a ktm 500 though so...

I can’t speak to 690s. My 450 is a little tough to find neutral when running but frankly I think this is intentional. My Beta 390 had the same problem but it’s nice to never accidentally shift into neutral when you’re on the trail.

Doesn't the CRF450L have stupid short maintenance intervals for a street bike?

The 690/701 is known for having issues with the clutch slave going out. Also, false neutrals are common, and it seems like a roll of the dice if you get one that burns oil.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Brigdh posted:

Doesn't the CRF450L have stupid short maintenance intervals for a street bike?

The 690/701 is known for having issues with the clutch slave going out. Also, false neutrals are common, and it seems like a roll of the dice if you get one that burns oil.

very, which is why it is a dumb recommendation for a dual sport that sees any amount of real pavement mileage. ktm's 500 is also low, but I'm sure there are stories of both doing >1000mi intervals

really honda just needs to make the XR650R again so that ktm can have some competition that isn't an air cooled turd or klr lol

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
How much do lowering links muck with geometry? I finally got to sit on a T7 at the local dealer, but my 30 inch inseam couldn't get the ball of one foot down without sliding off the seat. Apparently the low seat (which isn't even showing up at Yamaha US for another month, let alone at the local dealership) pulls 20mm off the seat height, and the lowering links another 20mm, but at that point I wonder if it's just worth looking at other motorcycles.

The T7 shocks felt SUPER stiff too, there was essentially no sag when I sat on the bike, but I've only ever ridden dual sports. Do adventure bikes generally have no sag in the suspension, or was it just a bad showroom floor setup?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like a bad setup, they're usually pretty plush. If you're having to do all those things to bake the bike lower you're better off with a lower bike IMO, the ground clearance and height is half the point of having a dual sport in the first place.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have a 30-inch inseam and both my feet touch the floor while sitting on t7. Not fully planted, but stable enough. I'm also 5'9 am I riding boots give me another inch

But t7 has so much suspension travel, you can probably take 2 inches away and it will still be functional. Going to have to jump some smaller boulders I guess.

And the rule of thumb is, lower front and back equal amount

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like a bad setup, they're usually pretty plush. If you're having to do all those things to bake the bike lower you're better off with a lower bike IMO, the ground clearance and height is half the point of having a dual sport in the first place.

Nitrox posted:

I have a 30-inch inseam and both my feet touch the floor while sitting on t7. Not fully planted, but stable enough. I'm also 5'9 am I riding boots give me another inch

But t7 has so much suspension travel, you can probably take 2 inches away and it will still be functional. Going to have to jump some smaller boulders I guess.

And the rule of thumb is, lower front and back equal amount

Hmm, thanks. I suspect the dealer had just slapped the bike together and left the suspension on the hardest settings then. Would be par for the course with those guys.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'll admit most of my experience is dirt bikes but for street don't you also set the sag on each bike depending on the riders weight with gear? Like you said they probably just uncrated the bike and it's stiff as a board without any adjustment. As posted above, whatever you do to the rear, also do to the front. Lower the bike in equal amounts.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Does anyone here have any experience with either the Yamaha MT-01 or Honda CB 1000 R/RA(2008+ model, not the new relaunch)?

Both seems to be pretty well specked bikes for their era and are dropping in price now.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Supradog posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with either the Yamaha MT-01 or Honda CB 1000 R/RA(2008+ model, not the new relaunch)?

Both seems to be pretty well specked bikes for their era and are dropping in price now.

I test rode a CB1000R of that generation years ago. I was actually thinking about it just the other day. Magazine reviewers moaned about the suspension, but honestly it was a lot more capable than I was. I chucked it into a very familiar corner that had weird camber and a bump in the middle that would always chuck my Pegaso practically into the next lane, and it didn't even flinch at it. Basically it felt just incredibly capable. Like zero effort to do whatever you wanted. Power wheelie? Just ham fist the throttle. Scratch your knees? Sure thing, however much you want. It can make you feel like a hero, which I guess can be a bit dangerous. The gauge design made for a really great windscreen, for a naked it made a really nice pocket of still air and no buffeting.
The only complaint I had, if you could call it that, is there just wasn't much drama or sense of occasion to any of it. My Pegaso made you fight for highway speed and could hop curbs no problem. The Brutale 750 I tried on the same day as the CB felt like it would kill you if you didn't show it respect (and sounded heavenly). The Multistrada 1000 I ended up buying when the Peg was stolen was just a more enjoyable thing to live with.
I would choose one over a Cb1300 super bol d'or, though, it's a much better bike to ride imo. Also the headlight is fugly, but I did own a multistrada so it shouldn't matter to me, but I never liked it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

I test rode a CB1000R of that generation years ago. I was actually thinking about it just the other day. Magazine reviewers moaned about the suspension, but honestly it was a lot more capable than I was. I chucked it into a very familiar corner that had weird camber and a bump in the middle that would always chuck my Pegaso practically into the next lane, and it didn't even flinch at it. Basically it felt just incredibly capable. Like zero effort to do whatever you wanted. Power wheelie? Just ham fist the throttle. Scratch your knees? Sure thing, however much you want. It can make you feel like a hero, which I guess can be a bit dangerous. The gauge design made for a really great windscreen, for a naked it made a really nice pocket of still air and no buffeting.
The only complaint I had, if you could call it that, is there just wasn't much drama or sense of occasion to any of it. My Pegaso made you fight for highway speed and could hop curbs no problem. The Brutale 750 I tried on the same day as the CB felt like it would kill you if you didn't show it respect (and sounded heavenly). The Multistrada 1000 I ended up buying when the Peg was stolen was just a more enjoyable thing to live with.
I would choose one over a Cb1300 super bol d'or, though, it's a much better bike to ride imo. Also the headlight is fugly, but I did own a multistrada so it shouldn't matter to me, but I never liked it.

This was my experience too. In typical Honda fashion they aren't much on paper and everyone whines about the suspension not being racetrack level but it's just a fantastically coherent, well-tuned street bike that excels at the type of corners and riding you do IRL.

The mt-01 is a totally different kind of beast. People judge them like they're a fast naked and yeah, by those standards they're slow and heavy. But if you want the awesome muscular punch of an elephantine cruiser engine but in a bike that doesn't suck rear end at corners they're fantastic. Another brilliant street bike vastly better than the sum of it's parts.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This was my experience too. In typical Honda fashion they aren't much on paper and everyone whines about the suspension not being racetrack level but it's just a fantastically coherent, well-tuned street bike that excels at the type of corners and riding you do IRL.

The mt-01 is a totally different kind of beast. People judge them like they're a fast naked and yeah, by those standards they're slow and heavy. But if you want the awesome muscular punch of an elephantine cruiser engine but in a bike that doesn't suck rear end at corners they're fantastic. Another brilliant street bike vastly better than the sum of it's parts.

I would love to have a go on a MT-01 one if these days. They look epic, and I remember using one in TT and even in a video game it was hilarious fun to ride.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Goldwings are stupidly expensive in the UK but on a whim I thought to check ebay and there's two pristine PC800s going for £1500 and £1750

I don't have the space dammit, but that plush seat and huge fairing are calling me... :negative:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't forget the built in trunk, too!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Goldwings are stupidly expensive in the UK but on a whim I thought to check ebay and there's two pristine PC800s going for £1500 and £1750

I don't have the space dammit, but that plush seat and huge fairing are calling me... :negative:

A Burgman 650 is the same thing but much better and faster in every way. Cheaper too.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Someone buy this magnificent biek. I have no more room for bikes, plus I'm moving soon, otherwise I would :saddowns:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

A Burgman 650 is the same thing but much better and faster in every way. Cheaper too.

Scooters do my back in because there's nothing to brace on.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just bought a 2007 BMW 650GS thumper. Needs some work, but nothing I can't do at home. Is there a model specific message boards I can go for info? Advrider is a bit of clusterfuck, and most threads are like 10 years old. It's funny to see people wholeheartedly recommending aftermarket accessories, with dead links and missing photos from start to finish.

I'm blown away by the amount of clever engineering that went into this bike. Gas tank under the seat, standard ABS and heated grips. Room for extra electrical gizmos, blank switch locations, space for auxiliary gas tank, etc. And as tall as it is, the seat is pretty low, unlike current crop of adventure bikes. May be a keeper.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Just bought a 2007 BMW 650GS thumper. Needs some work, but nothing I can't do at home. Is there a model specific message boards I can go for info? Advrider is a bit of clusterfuck, and most threads are like 10 years old. It's funny to see people wholeheartedly recommending aftermarket accessories, with dead links and missing photos from start to finish.

I'm blown away by the amount of clever engineering that went into this bike. Gas tank under the seat, standard ABS and heated grips. Room for extra electrical gizmos, blank switch locations, space for auxiliary gas tank, etc. And as tall as it is, the seat is pretty low, unlike current crop of adventure bikes. May be a keeper.

advrider will probably be your best bet. their search isn't terrible

I'd recommend just looking for a service / repair manual in pdf form so you can ctrl+f it. most of them have intervals on when stuff needs to be replaced / looked at and will spell out exactly what you need to do to

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Checking out this broken Ducati later today. Seller says it needs a fuel pump? Looks like it's missing a front rotor. Any thoughts?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
You're a braver man than I.

Actually, no you're not; I would totally gently caress with that. I'm heading down to Cicero to buy that out from under you

call ME a coward

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hoho`win posted:

Checking out this broken Ducati later today. Seller says it needs a fuel pump? Looks like it's missing a front rotor. Any thoughts?

Does it need a fuel pump? Probably.

Does it only need a fuel pump? Yeah right.

Is it a 400? It looks like one but I don't know how that would end up in America.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Given how nobody does the belt service on ducati's ever, I'd say that one went a little too long.

Or it could just be a fuel pump. Sometimes it's just a fuel pump/carb clean and a battery.

Other times it's a bricked engine lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buddy that is a timing belt being sold as a fuel pump.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Buddy that is a timing belt being sold as a fuel pump.

You all have me convinced to stay far away from it, thank you

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like a screaming deal to me and I don't even like multis :shrug:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

It's rooted, mate.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Turns out he doesn't have a title.

Already on to the next one:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If you need a midsized touring/adv in that price range why not a vstrom or dr650?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Coydog posted:

If you need a midsized touring/adv in that price range why not a vstrom or dr650?

those are way more boring than 15yo euro bikes

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

"buy an older jap not a new Chinese bike" has my watch list full of 1979 CB100's and 1982 CB125tdc superdreams. I don't even own a bike yet and my brain is already broken.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

Have you ridden a gs? Auditing a library is less boring than a boxer, dr650 is an absolute thriller by comparison.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I’d think the older GS’s are ridden very gently, farkled to death, and have no demand because the people into those bikes go to the dealership for the newest.

Idk my logic might not be sound though because I’d have lost $1,500 to that Ducati already.

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....

Slavvy posted:

Have you ridden a gs? Auditing a library is less boring than a boxer, dr650 is an absolute thriller by comparison.

I wanted a GS but as a new rider and only 5'6 with short legs, I looked like a kid sitting at the dinner table with my feet dangling... Even with the lowered suspension the GS was not a good fit for me. Though I love the design and function. I ended up on a MT 03... which I still need to possibly lower as with a 30in seat height I still have to tippy toe...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

tikka_zamayid posted:

I wanted a GS but as a new rider and only 5'6 with short legs, I looked like a kid sitting at the dinner table with my feet dangling... Even with the lowered suspension the GS was not a good fit for me. Though I love the design and function. I ended up on a MT 03... which I still need to possibly lower as with a 30in seat height I still have to tippy toe...

As an also 5'6" rider, you'll get used to taller bikes. Just ride. You'll learn to be stable in time.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah, flat footing is totally a noob rider crutch. Have a bit of a play at stops where you try to stay upright for as long as you can before putting a foot down, or straddling with both feet on the ground (even if it's just tippy toe), just kick the bike back and forth between your inner thighs. Get a feel for how stable/balanced the bike is. You'll notice you don't need very much force at all to hold it up or to bring it back to perpendicular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

FBS posted:

You've clearly never ridden any of the bikes/engines in question.

cakesmith handyman posted:

"buy an older jap not a new Chinese bike" has my watch list full of 1979 CB100's and 1982 CB125tdc superdreams. I don't even own a bike yet and my brain is already broken.

When we say "buy an older jap not a new Chinese bike" we mean 1995-2010. Something older than that is going to be a total nightmare to find parts for, not unlike a chinese bike.

Revvik posted:

Idk my logic might not be sound though because I’d have lost $1,500 to that Ducati already.

A good running example of that 2006 multi lists at $2500. A broken and neglected one for $1500 isn't a screaming deal.