Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The RX 580 is pretty weak for the Reverb G2. It'll work, but you might have to undersample in many cases which negates much of the benefit of the higher resolution panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ati stuff in general is not as good for VR as nvidia. You’ll generally have a better time with an nvidia card

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

axeil posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

don't know why that guy is selling it short, there's nothing wrong with WMR roomscale vs. any other inside-out tracking system, and the G2 should be even better with its extra cameras

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i mean if youre undecided between Rift S/G2/Index it's pretty much just a "how much do you want to spend" question :v

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jenny Agutter posted:

don't know why that guy is selling it short, there's nothing wrong with WMR roomscale vs. any other inside-out tracking system, and the G2 should be even better with its extra cameras

if you meant the seated remark, the comparison would actually be with the Index for roomscale rather than the others inside-out headsets, because that's where a Lighthouse setup really shines.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 10, 2020

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Id go with Reverb. By the time any of these headsets are available to purchase with regularity the reverb will be out and so will the reviews.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

The RX 580 is pretty weak for the Reverb G2. It'll work, but you might have to undersample in many cases which negates much of the benefit of the higher resolution panels.

Ah that's good to know. I have been using AMD because I have a Freesync monitor and as far as I know NVidia cards won't play nice with it. I'm fine with downsampling for the time being until the next round of AMD cards.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Between news of Hitman in VR (for PSVR only fuuuuuuck yoooooou) and playing Walking Dead are there any decent stealth games for VR? I know Oculus has the weird Special Operations Kayaking game but I'd prefer something with actual levels and stuff.

I'm going to have to sit down for like an hour and figure out an entire custom control method for Payday 2. Holding guns in my left hand is just 100% necessary for me but using the in-game menu to do so makes any default or community-made control scheme I try and use completely broken. It's very weird.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN
Got done playing "The Room" on Quest with my roommates watching and giving advice over the weekend. We loved it! Was curious if there are any other quality escape room games? VR seems like the perfect format for these types of puzzle games. I have a VR ready PC I can also use if needed.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

JumpyMonky posted:

Got done playing "The Room" on Quest with my roommates watching and giving advice over the weekend. We loved it! Was curious if there are any other quality escape room games? VR seems like the perfect format for these types of puzzle games. I have a VR ready PC I can also use if needed.

If you want to do the “one in vr one on the couch” style of play you’ve got to check out Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes. It was made for that.

I’ve been playing I Expect You To Die and it’s fun and novel but more than a little bullshit. It will absolutely kill you on purpose with no way you could have known and then you’ll have to repeat the whole scenario to get back to where you were and you might die again because some parts rely on execution under a time limit that you didn’t know about three seconds ago. The levels are short but replaying them over and over really sucks. Having another player to swap with makes it much more manageable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

axeil posted:

Ah that's good to know. I have been using AMD because I have a Freesync monitor and as far as I know NVidia cards won't play nice with it. I'm fine with downsampling for the time being until the next round of AMD cards.

Freesync monitors work with all 10 and 20 series Nvidia GPUs since early last year. Once VR devs start implementing DLSS in their games I'm not sure AMD will be able to compete at all.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Once VR devs start implementing DLSS in their games I'm not sure AMD will be able to compete at all.

People say this every time NVidia announces some shiny new vendor-specific API, and it never happens. For most developers it's just not worth the time to implement a vendor-specific feature that will only benefit a small percentage of their audience, especially since by the time the required hardware has a significant portion of the market there's generally a vendor-agnostic alternative that's 90% as good. How many VR games ever used NVidia's Lens Matched Shading?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nvidia single pass stereo seems to be legit and is used by a few big games.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

People say this every time NVidia announces some shiny new vendor-specific API, and it never happens. For most developers it's just not worth the time to implement a vendor-specific feature that will only benefit a small percentage of their audience, especially since by the time the required hardware has a significant portion of the market there's generally a vendor-agnostic alternative that's 90% as good. How many VR games ever used NVidia's Lens Matched Shading?

DLSS is almost stupid in how much it improves performance in high resolutions, which is VR's highest "cost." I doubt it'll become mandatory for VR, but implementing it would be a free upgrade in visible detail in most cases.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Inacio posted:

sorry to be a party pooper but it's better to pirate games than to buy them from key sites. those are (very) often coming from stolen credit cards and other similarly shady stuff

It extremely depends.

GreenManGaming is legit as gently caress and is definitely not piracy.

g2a and fanatical are the kinda sites that are hosed.

I mean poo poo dude, Amazon sells game keys. They ain't selling stolen keys.

Pierson posted:

for PSVR only fuuuuuuck yoooooou

They haven't said this yet

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Hey elite dangerous VR was pretty loving cool. I suck at flying though and ragequit the combat tutorial when the auto-pilot took over for the tenth time I flew too far from where you're supposed to be.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nvidia single pass stereo seems to be legit and is used by a few big games.

How many rely on the NVidia-exclusive version of it, though? Because you can do single pass stereo rendering just fine on any vaguely modern hardware; NVidia's proprietary version can be very slightly faster, but not dramatically so.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Fanatical seems fine though?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Parallelwoody posted:

Fanatical seems fine though?

I'd say so. This is why I said people should post evidence...

Agreed on G2A, though.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

lunar detritus posted:

DLSS is almost stupid in how much it improves performance in high resolutions, which is VR's highest "cost." I doubt it'll become mandatory for VR, but implementing it would be a free upgrade in visible detail in most cases.

I haven't encountered any VR games that use TAA -- has anyone else? I don't know if its a bandwidth issue or a more fundamental problem with generating a velocity buffer in VR but I've noticed that TAA just doesn't seem used at all.

It could also be that the instability of the "camera" in VR means you get much more blurring and ghosting with TAA in VR than with typical desktop games (where ghosting is still pretty noticable and distracting). Which in turn might mean increased nausea.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
TAA causes more blurring in VR than normal due to your head also doing microvibrations. You can make UE4 VR games with deferred rendering and TAA, but epic strongly suggests you use the forward rendered with msaa instead.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

People say this every time NVidia announces some shiny new vendor-specific API, and it never happens. For most developers it's just not worth the time to implement a vendor-specific feature that will only benefit a small percentage of their audience, especially since by the time the required hardware has a significant portion of the market there's generally a vendor-agnostic alternative that's 90% as good. How many VR games ever used NVidia's

It's apparently relatively easy to implement and isn't a VR specific optimization. iirc lens matched shading required deep integration and caused problems with certain rendering features. DLSS kind of does the opposite.

Brownie posted:

I haven't encountered any VR games that use TAA -- has anyone else?
Anything that uses a deferred renderer like Project Cars, Fallout 4 VR. I think SkyrimVR uses TAA too, despite using forward rendering, probably for inexpensive antialiasing of foliage.

Deferred renderers aren't typically used in VR because rendering at higher resolutions gets expensive and MSAA has massive overhead. This is a problem that DLSS does a fairly good job at solving.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Brownie posted:

I haven't encountered any VR games that use TAA -- has anyone else? I don't know if its a bandwidth issue or a more fundamental problem with generating a velocity buffer in VR but I've noticed that TAA just doesn't seem used at all.

It could also be that the instability of the "camera" in VR means you get much more blurring and ghosting with TAA in VR than with typical desktop games (where ghosting is still pretty noticable and distracting). Which in turn might mean increased nausea.

Mostly the latter; I think TAA is just very hard to tune, especially in VR. In the early years of VR it was the recommended method for games that couldn't use MSAA, but if you could use MSAA you would.

A lot of traditional screen-space antialiasing techniques aren't a great fit for VR in general. That's partly because VR render resolutions are extremely high - typically much higher than the panel resolution - so anything with a per-pixel cost starts to become very expensive. It's also because the lens transform and reprojection effectively apply a box filter over most of your final image, so any antialiasing technique designed around getting beautiful and precise blends on individual pixels is just going to have most of that work thrown away again.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

netcat posted:

Hey elite dangerous VR was pretty loving cool. I suck at flying though and ragequit the combat tutorial when the auto-pilot took over for the tenth time I flew too far from where you're supposed to be.

I've been trying to get this working, but failing hard. I've had the game on steam for years now. Got my Rift S in, and tried to launch it through steam vr and it's throwing a login error at me. Farthest I've been able to get was i was the main menu in a hangar but then it wasn't responding to my controller. Trying to use an xbone controller instead of my hotas because that seems like it would just be another headache to configure. It's super annoying to troubleshoot vr games. Putting the headset on and off means I only want to spend like fifteen minutes futzing around with it. I'll try again but man it's annoying.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

I've been trying to get this working, but failing hard. I've had the game on steam for years now. Got my Rift S in, and tried to launch it through steam vr and it's throwing a login error at me. Farthest I've been able to get was i was the main menu in a hangar but then it wasn't responding to my controller. Trying to use an xbone controller instead of my hotas because that seems like it would just be another headache to configure. It's super annoying to troubleshoot vr games. Putting the headset on and off means I only want to spend like fifteen minutes futzing around with it. I'll try again but man it's annoying.

I had some login problems when I just registered but it went away pretty quickly. I don't have a hotas so I just used my oculus controllers, I had to use the keyboard to select it through the menu but otherwise I didn't have any issues. There seems to be some things you need a keyboard to do though like jumping to light speed which is a bit annoying when you're wearing the headset.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I sort of doubt that DLSS is going to see adoption in VR since it's basically just a vendor specific form of TSAA, and will still produce sub-optimal results when it encounters dissoccluion, rapid view changes, etc. But I'm happy to be proven wrong as someone with an nvidia card :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

If elite dangerous is not in focus on your pc it won’t accept any input. Even if it’s the only window open and you accidentally click your desktop, removing focus from it, it will stop accepting input.

It’s very picky in that regard.

For a game that almost requires you to have a web browser open, that’s kind of annoying.

Maybe related to what you were seeing?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inacio posted:

sorry to be a party pooper but it's better to pirate games than to buy them from key sites. those are (very) often coming from stolen credit cards and other similarly shady stuff

The Humble Store, which I mentioned in my post as the store I bought from is coming from stolen credit cards? Well that's news to me :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm so bummed I bought Saints and Sinners on PSVR weeks before getting a Rift. It felt like a good game but the Move controllers rendered it borderline unplayable. Really want to play through the rest of it but not on PSVR and I don't think the game is worth $80. I guess I'll just wait for a deep sale down the line :sigh:

Now PS store. There's a place that could use an actual return policy.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If elite dangerous is not in focus on your pc it won’t accept any input. Even if it’s the only window open and you accidentally click your desktop, removing focus from it, it will stop accepting input.

It’s very picky in that regard.

For a game that almost requires you to have a web browser open, that’s kind of annoying.

Maybe related to what you were seeing?

Yeah, absolutely check that the game window has focus - that's exactly what messed up for me and I spent ages trying to track it down.

I think what happens is when you launch elite (especially via the oculus library shortcut) it starts up a self-updater/launcher before the game which grabs focus, then when the game does finally load it doesn't load up as the in-focus window. I'd frequently get all the way to the main menu and my stick wouldn't be able to move anything - had to pop the headset off, click on the window, then pop the headset back on.

It is worth the pain in the rear end just for the first time one of those suns whooshes up to you as you drop out of frame shift and your entire cockpit is just filled with it. Every time.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Brownie posted:

Stormland has TAA and it's really neat, it's the least aliased I've ever seen VR and it's fairly mind-blowing.

However, it is completely unusable because of temporal artifacts. It's mostly not that noticeable, but it really fucks with text.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN

Stan Taylor posted:

If you want to do the “one in vr one on the couch” style of play you’ve got to check out Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes. It was made for that.

I’ve been playing I Expect You To Die and it’s fun and novel but more than a little bullshit. It will absolutely kill you on purpose with no way you could have known and then you’ll have to repeat the whole scenario to get back to where you were and you might die again because some parts rely on execution under a time limit that you didn’t know about three seconds ago. The levels are short but replaying them over and over really sucks. Having another player to swap with makes it much more manageable.

I tried Keep Talking and I think everyone found it too stressful for my non-gamer roommates.

I have yet to check out I Expect You To Die. I'll keep the player swapping in mind though when I eventually do get it. The time limit seems like a cute thematic idea, but not always what I want out of my VR puzzlers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It would make it even more dorky looking but I feel like this might be fantastic for VR use.

https://www.amazon.com/Leipple-Neck...7096038&sr=8-38

Might try it out. I feel like it would be really good at not letting fog get in and I already love having a fan on me when I'm playing VR. Hopefully the LEDs are optional.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 10, 2020

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

veni veni veni posted:

It would make it even more dorky looking but I feel like this might be fantastic for VR use.

https://www.amazon.com/Leipple-Neck...7096038&sr=8-38

Might try it out. I feel like it would be really good at not letting fog get in and I already love having a fan on me when I'm playing VR. Hopefully the LEDs are optional.

I've said it before but I love using a pedestal fan so that you have a frame of reference to your play area without having to pull pass through open or the headset up to check where you are.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I need to stop watching mrtv's stuff about the reverb 2. I know the next time Im drunk, I will probably accidentally pre order it. He is too good at selling stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Ugh I can't even launch it. I'm getting an error that says "Unhandled exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Tried to look up a fix online and it says to update the MS.NET framework but it already appears to be updated...Anyone else run into this? What a bummer. Just want to try this drat game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Anyone have opinions/hot takes on Ultimate Fishing Simulator? I've almost bought it the last few times it was on sale cause it seems kinda chill and relaxing but I'm confused about the game the way it's listed... is it normally a VR game and you have the choice of buying the VR DLC as well? Are parts of it not VR? Are the controls jank and can you drive the boats around?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/468920/Ultimate_Fishing_Simulator/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NRVNQSR posted:

Throw back to 2012 when tesselation was going to be the next big thing in video game graphics, Batman Arkham Asylum 2 was gonna have it where the curtains would blow in the breeze in two levels and it was going to be EARTH SHATTERING

Also think of that ultra realistic pond water ripples on DiRT 3.14 or whatever

DirectX 11 4 Lyfe :2bong:

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I decided to just focus on making avatars out of 2d rpg maker sprites it seems. The real Wayne. The two things I was worried about was getting the texture right, and also finding a decent enough picture of the action figure his head is on. I want to make the walk cycle chaotic like the game, but I will cross that bridge when I get there. I guess next is space funeral. If anyone wants me to model them an avatar, just tell me. No generic anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Thoatse posted:

Anyone have opinions/hot takes on Ultimate Fishing Simulator? I've almost bought it the last few times it was on sale cause it seems kinda chill and relaxing but I'm confused about the game the way it's listed... is it normally a VR game and you have the choice of buying the VR DLC as well? Are parts of it not VR? Are the controls jank and can you drive the boats around?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/468920/Ultimate_Fishing_Simulator/

It was not originally a VR game, but they added a VR mode as paid DLC, or as a standalone purchase, but both the standalone and VR versions have their paid DLC separate, or some poo poo. Anyway, I'd ignore the VR version and instead buy the base game and add the VR DLC, as the screen version works well as a lazy couch kick back gamepad title. I bought it before I got into VR and enjoyed it for 15 hours or so.

That said, the VR support is really wonky, especially with Index controllers (it has some inexplicable mappings), so it may be worth buying the VR version, seeing if you like it, and then refunding it and buying the base game and VR DLC, if you like it. That way you can play it both ways.

The game itself is fine. It's like Fishing Planet, but without trying to microtransaction you to death. You can do a standard progression mode, or just say "gently caress it" and do sandbox mode and access everything. Chill and fun game. Take the multiplayer with a grain of salt, though. It's basically just chatting, as you can't really interact with or properly see other players.