Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I don't like using tampons/cups because I find it physically uncomfortable. Not mentally or anything, I mean poo poo I had a kid I've had all kinds of traffic through my chunnel, I just do not like having them in there cause I can feel it the whole time. I also can't wear heels or nylons or stuff like that cause it is just way too uncomfortable. I've also gotten attitude that my preference for pads makes me some kind of a prudish nun because I'm uncomfortable with it, which feels really judge-y.

it took me until my late 20s to fully figure out how to get my tampons in so they wouldn't bother me. too far in and I can feel it jab into my cervix when I sit, but not far enough in and it chafes the hell out of my outer bits. I have like a very small window of comfort and no one ever told me that might be a thing, I just figured everyone else was nuts when they said "you can't feel them!" I don't blame you for preferring pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

teen witch posted:

I basically want to do this

E: in the Jareth costume as well. the codpiece stays ON
He didn't wear a codpiece, just tights. David Bowie was a REAL man.

I'm menstruating right now and I feel all gross and bloated. Put on pants this morning that used to be loose and they were tight around the thighs and stomach. I don't like being fat sometimes. Need to get back to the doctor to see if I have something wrong with my thyroid.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I only just figured out how to use tampons last year after nearly two decades of using pads exclusively and let me tell you thread. What an absolute journey that was

It's been great to not deal with constant chafing for a straight week but on the other hand changing sizes as the flow gets lighter is a mild hell, especially when you misjudge how heavy it'll be and end up having to take out something that's mostly dry

I love menstrual cups as a concept but the one time I bought a pair (on the smaller side too) I could not for the life of me get either of them up there, can't get myself to not tense up. Which is a shame because I imagine it's quite the money saver

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 10, 2020

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The clothe ones don't chaff much and since there is no glue or stickers it doesn't stick to your pubes. They twist around a bit though if you ride a bike or something like that.

There's really no good way to deal with catching the blood, is there? Menstruation is the strongest argument against intelligent design cause what are we supposed to do 'naturally' about it?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I've had all kinds of traffic through my chunnel,

Username/post combo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ralph Crammed In posted:

There's really no good way to deal with catching the blood, is there? Menstruation is the strongest argument against intelligent design cause what are we supposed to do 'naturally' about it?

Be pregnant and/or breast feeding constantly from puberty until menopause, duh. Or death. Probably death.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
my first partner didn't have their period until they were 16 and it was induced by birth control pills.
in fact she didn't have her period at all unless she took them and she was very casual about it, sometimes going months without a period.

she didn't suffer when she had them regularly, just some minor discomfort, but if she stopped taking the pill it would make the next one worse the longer she waited and she would be in a lot of pain for a day or two when she finally did.
i tried to gently encourage her to take the pill each night but i couldn't/wouldn't force her and she knew the price. i'd be tempted to say maybe there was more going on in her mind but knowing her she probably just didn't care much about it all, even after the doctor suggested it might be making her infertile.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Ever be in the bath during your period and a gooey piece of your uterine lining comes out and floats around and you have a look at it and you're like 'hmmmm interesting' and try to determine if it's the unfertilized egg? I've done that a few times. Apparently the egg is the only cell in the human body you can see with the naked eye.

The ovum is one of the largest cells in the human body, typically visible to the naked eye without the aid of a microscope or other magnification device. The human ovum measures approximately 0.1 mm (0.0039 in) in diameter.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Strumpie posted:

The ovum is one of the largest cells in the human body, typically visible to the naked eye without the aid of a microscope or other magnification device. The human ovum measures approximately 0.1 mm (0.0039 in) in diameter.

Human caviar...

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Bismuth posted:

Human caviar...

christ

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

drat horror queefs posted:

You ever squeeze out a mostly-empty ketchup bottle? It's just like that.

If men menstruated you can guarantee we'd turn it into a competition.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
My chunks come out like barely set gelatin or egg white, with a little bit of membrane-y stringiness depending on how big they are. Despite my period being ultra heavy and always lasting 8 days, I almost never have cramps. I am very lucky and would rather keep my painless long waterfall than suffer through a short but agonising trickle.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Strumpie posted:

my first partner didn't have their period until they were 16 and it was induced by birth control pills.
in fact she didn't have her period at all unless she took them and she was very casual about it, sometimes going months without a period.

she didn't suffer when she had them regularly, just some minor discomfort, but if she stopped taking the pill it would make the next one worse the longer she waited and she would be in a lot of pain for a day or two when she finally did.
i tried to gently encourage her to take the pill each night but i couldn't/wouldn't force her and she knew the price. i'd be tempted to say maybe there was more going on in her mind but knowing her she probably just didn't care much about it all, even after the doctor suggested it might be making her infertile.
Skipping months' worth of periods in exchange for 1-2 days of pain in the end sounds completely rational, tbh

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I guess this is gross of me but I never saw a problem with boiling cups in cooking pots. It’s not like you plunge it in there dripping with blood clots. If you soap it first who cares.

My mom & period story: she gave me a stern talk because she said she went through the trash and she knew I was changing my pad too often and she wasn’t going to keep buying them. Next day I needed to change my pad at lunch but now I was afraid I’d run out so I had this literally soaked squishy pad for the rest of the day including gym class, praying it wasn’t going to start leaking down my legs. Also at that age I tended to have periods that went on very lightly for 2 weeks but now I was scared of changing my pad and nobody ever told me about panty liners, so I wore the same pad for like an entire week until I stank bad enough for someone to comment on it. in hindsight I guess she had money problems but she never explained that, just acted like I was in trouble. It was really weird

Your mother is a creep for going thru trash :lol: what was she doing, dumpster diving for nutritious pads? Changing your menstrual pad daily is basic hygiene, women who try to force their kids not to do that are universally scum. (This is not the first time I've encountered a story like this and the other mom who did that was a loving scumbag.)

I've never bothered with tampons. They're just too much trouble and pads don't bother me. Also much more convenient to change.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HIJK posted:

Your mother is a creep for going thru trash :lol: what was she doing, dumpster diving for nutritious pads? Changing your menstrual pad daily is basic hygiene, women who try to force their kids not to do that are universally scum. (This is not the first time I've encountered a story like this and the other mom who did that was a loving scumbag.)

I've never bothered with tampons. They're just too much trouble and pads don't bother me. Also much more convenient to change.

I can imagine a kid going through a dozen pads a day tho. They don't know what's normal. Of course the answer to that is to have a big gross talk about how to know when it is time to change a pad.

Why dig through the trash like a hungry stray dog? Well, some ladies do wear super++ pads and still have to change them every 2 hours due to flooding. So it's possible a kid who seems to be using "too many" could be having a medical problem, or super floods, or something. And if your a mom who hates talking to your kids about their reproductive system, then digging through the trash to check for yourself might seem easier than having a diagnostic discussion to find out why your kid is using so many dang pads.

Moms can be idiots too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jailbrekr posted:

If men menstruated you can guarantee we'd turn it into a competition.

Lmao if men menstruated we'd get a week federal mandated paid leave every month and probably we'd get a purple heart every time

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I had a copper IUD for over a decade and it hosed me up bad, I have a Mirena now and have no periods, lost about 45 pounds and am feeling way better! Boobs still hurt at The Appointed Time tho

periods are horrible and humanity should work towards eliminating them

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I wish I still had my childhood diary. I got my first period overnight on New Year’s Eve 1996. On Dec 31, the entry was something like, “Mom is such a mean bitch” and January 1 said something like, “I got my first period! No wonder I was so mad at Mom last night. I didn’t mean it! I was just having my first mood swing.”

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

purple death ray posted:

Lmao if men menstruated we'd get a week federal mandated paid leave every month and probably we'd get a purple heart every time

There'd be a lot more red wings thats for sure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I need to get my mirena replaced but I'm not looking forward to it

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Pick posted:

I need to get my mirena replaced but I'm not looking forward to it

I had mine replaced about a month ago and it was actually 10000% easier than it was last time! (Last time I bled so much afterwards for hours and hours that I had to call the Planned Parenthood help line because I was convinced I was gonna die; also I was high as balls and hadn't spoken to someone in English on the phone for like 4 years so I was not a great conversationalist, but the lady seemed very nice.)

But yeah, CBD really helped with the cramping and I didn't bleed out. I even made it the whole 90 minutes home without pain! My boobs were sore for a couple of days, and I was a little cranky on the third day after, but I evened out pretty quickly. Hopefully your reinstallation will be equally harmonious.

I am still explodinghead about how much better the Mirena is than the Liletta for me in terms of overall endo pain reduction. My gyno is convinced it will help manage my endometriomas but c'mon, I was on a Mirena when my pussy exploded and I got carved up like a side of beef (read: emergency cystecotomy because the one that burst was like 10 cm across WHOOOHOOO) and I am skeptical.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I was on the Minerva for years before I took it out to get pregnant. I haven't had it or any other form of birth control for two years and the biggest thing I've noticed is that I feel a lot better mental health-wise. While on the IUD I was getting mild to moderate depressive episodes on the reg but now I only ever feel sad during PMS, and even then I'm more likely to be angry than sad. It could be argued that my depression was being caused by environmental factors, such as stress from college or long-term unemployment/underemployment, but being a stay at home mom is also super stressful and while I feel stress and frustration at times I certainly don't get sad and depressed like I used to.

I started my period today too. We are in the middle of a heat wave so I'm more fatigued than usual. The day before my period I have a lot of discharge which, by the end of the day soaks my underwear so I've get some nasty chaffing and welts so it hurts to walk. I feel bad about it but I'm just going to park Ralph Jr in front of the TV today cause I'm too tired and sore to do much with him.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Apart from humans, most of the other menstruating animals are primates, the group that includes monkeys and apes as well as humans. Most monkeys living in Africa and Asia, such as rhesus macaques, menstruate.

Great apes do it too. Menstrual bleeding is easily detectable in chimpanzees and gibbons. However, gorillas and orang-utans bleed less copiously, so menstruation is only visible on closer inspection. Other primates, such as tarsiers, may also menstruate, but there is little hard evidence.

Other than our close relatives, menstruation also evolved independently in two other groups: some bats and elephant shrews.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150420-why-do-women-have-periods

All foetuses burrow into the linings of their mothers' wombs, in search of nourishment. But some do this more than others.

In horses, cows and pigs, the embryo simply sits on the surface of the womb lining. In dogs and cats, the foetuses dig in a little more. But in humans and other primates, a foetus will dig through all the womb lining to directly bathe in its mother's blood.

peanut fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 11, 2020

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I thought that humans were the only animals that had regular monthly menstruations because we don't go into heat like other animals as we are constantly ready to fertilize? Like, apes aren't having their periods every month, just after they have an unproductive heat?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Can you crystallize your menstrual fluids? Asking for a friend on Craig's List

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Baller Time posted:

For a good price

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Last night I watched a documentary on Netflix about seeing eye dogs and ate pumpkin seeds while holding a heating pad to my back. Between joy tears, back sweat and pum seeds it was like sitting in a comfortable salt mine. Thanks mother nature!

But seriously, thanks for inventing weed. That was a nice thing to do.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Waterbed Wendy posted:

thanks for inventing weed. That was a nice thing to do.

It works for man flu as well.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

teen witch posted:

For a good price

Important question: can the period crystals be charging by JOing?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It works for man flu as well.

what is man flu? do i need to get my husband vaccinated?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Oh god, he's not vaccinated?

:rip:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Waterbed Wendy posted:

It's the most horrific illness any human being can get, and it targets only men

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Ok but what if that vaccines cure his autism? I really can't afford that right now! Are there any holistic approaches to man flu?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Ok but what if that vaccines cure his autism? I really can't afford that right now! Are there any holistic approaches to man flu?

They already said weed.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Period at the in-laws update: I am currently boiling my DivaCup in a pot because they don’t care what I do with the pot if I clean it afterwards. Success!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Baller Time posted:

Just pop it in the freezer brethren/sistren, ice is a crystal

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Hell yeah! I’m going to lie down in their backyard and drink scotch while I watch the meteor shower tonight. If I can’t have my period at home, I shall do it in style.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows

Ralph Crammed In posted:

They got around that by calling it, "The Curse", as a punishment for Eve for eating the forbidden fruit.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Spinz posted:

Just Google estrogen and heart disease or menopause and heart disease, a million different hits
https://academic.oup.com/ajh/article/14/S3/186S/205397

It's for sure

hey thanks.

Skratte posted:

oh, plus, uh, trans man, so. Once a month it's the ol' dysphoria train choo choo.

will drs not do a hysterectomy for trans men? i know that most surgerys are to help with the dysphoria and transmen dont really have a bottom surgery but i assumed they would get a hysterectomy. Although I can easily see it being easier to put up with dysphoria for a few days then the hosed up healing process of having a couple major organs removed. My sister had to have one and she still isnt right like a year later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I'm sorry I haven't read the whole thread so this may have come up before. But my PMS has been getting like...weirder? for the past couple years. Like I've started to actually get low-grade fevers a day or two before my period starts and I feel like general rear end-garbage. Also, I didn't learn until like a year ago that the heaviness of my flow is actually greater than normal.

I'm glad this thread is here because people don't talk about this poo poo enough, which is why I thought my absolute misery every month was completely normal for decades.